Trat City- Province? Anyone Been Or Live There?

Travelerusa40

Hi, I have been researching TRAT City/Province but can not find any current information (Need current 2014 to Present). I plan to take a trip down there to check it out but if someone who has been or lives in Trat can help me answer a few question it would be helpful. I am looking to relocate to Trat. What is your general impression of Trat City.

1. Does Trat have a Big Shopping Mall with English Speaking Movies?

2. Is Trat Effected by Smoke or Burning like Chiangmai?

3. Is their a web site for rentals or a local Point of Contact?

4. Does Trat have Taxi or Songtaws to get around?

5. What about a Big Grocery Stores?

6. Does Trat have a Train Station?

7. Anyone with Experience going to the Bangkok Hospital or other Hospital in Trat? Do the doctors and front desk workers speak english?

8. How much is a taxi, Songtaw, or bus from Trat City to the Peer where you take the boat to Koh Chang Island?

TRAT Has:

Immigration, Bangkok Hospital, Airport, Bus Station, - This is all I know. It would be nice to get some more Info.

Hi

Can offer a few answers on the general area, we've in Chanthaburi just north of Trat

You won't get any English language movies, or even English subtitles; simply no demand - not enough foreigners to justify either

For Chan there's one store I'm aware of that stocks the two English language daily newspapers, you may be lucky to find one in Trat

There's a Tesco-Lotus with the usual surrounding stores they seem standard across the country

Rentals - may be something in Thai; when we moved here 2011 we rented at a beach resort and basically 'beat the feet' for a week asking around and eventually found a good place we stayed in for three years till we moved again - and again it was a result of being known/asking, have yet to find any 'formal' rental place

No train line down the eastern Gulf of Thailand. Would need to head north about 360km to Aranyaprathet for train to Bangkok and beyond. Regular/reliable bus services from several companies from Bangkok. Cheap too, Chan city to Suvarnabhumi is 214 baht.

I've dealt with the Bangkok Hospital in Chan city - again I am guessing here but expect Trat is similar, they had a few staff/reception people with ok English, and the doctors I saw were fine and no complaint re communication (but expensive)

A place we were recommended, but have not stayed there so cannot comment, was a hotel called Residang in Trat, told the owners were very helpful, at one stage we were to be relocating there for my wife's job but chose to stay put here.

Best wishes for your travels.

tumblr_m7dv53Wdp41rbacr7o4_1280.jpg

Laem Ngob - Trat

The Eastern Apex’ of Thailand; ferries available here for Koh Chang.

Edited by gomangosteen

• 2 weeks later...

My tgf's sister lives in Trat and we visit now and again. I must say i find the place pretty grim. As a farang nothing to do, we struggled to even find a bar. I couldn't stand the thought of living there.

We had to stay in Trat once because we missed the boat to Koh Chang (by 1 minute...). It is really a very boring town. nothing to do at all. Living there? Seriously?

• 4 weeks later...

After all the negativity:

I live in Trat, and find it quite pleasant. But then again, I'm a family man, I don't care for bars etc. There are, however a few excellent restaurants in town. It's a quiet little town, no train, no shopping malls, no bars etc. It does sport a large Tesco and a Makro, where one can buy most foreign foods. One of my pleasures is the early morning market, with an abundance of cheap, very fresh seafood and vegetables. On top of that the air is very clear, with no industries around, only jungle and agriculture.

There are shared taxi's to be found in the city center, along with motocy taxi's. There is a semi-regular schedule to go to the ferry to Koh Chang, not very expensive.

Bangkok Trat Hospital: I stayed there for 10 days (compound ankle fracture). Excellent service, reasonable english spoken by the doctors , an american-trained communications officer with fluent english that took care of everything I needed and wanted translated. Expensive, though.

In conclusion: If you're a Pattaya person, you better stay away. If you like peace and quiet, beautiful islands and empty beaches all the way to the Cambodian border to explore, Trat might be the place for you.

Just the wife and I. We are up in Chiangmai and would like to relocate. Are there any houses or long term rentals? How do you find them? Are they posted at Tesco or in the mall? I can't find any houses for rent on the Internet? Do you have a realtor contact or is everything posted somewhere like Tesco?

Just the wife and I. We are up in Chiangmai and would like to relocate. Are there any houses or long term rentals? How do you find them? Are they posted at Tesco or in the mall? I can't find any houses for rent on the Internet? Do you have a realtor contact or is everything posted somewhere like Tesco?

I am not trying to be rude, but why don't you get on plane and spend a few weeks in Trat looking around and see if its actually for you, taking 2nd hand advice from people is no substitution for finding out for yourself

Houses and appartments are regularly available, new appartment buildings going up all the time. We found our house just by looking around and talking to people. One contact to start with might be Alex, the owner of Joy's Pizza, he knows a lot of what goes on in town, and would at least be able to redirect you.

I do agree with Soutpeel though, just come for a few weeks and find out for yourself if you like the vibe. Alternatives might also be found on the Island of Koh Chang, if a more touristy environment is prefered. It's a hop and a jump away from the city of Trat.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a surprisingly nice little hotel in Trat, on the way to Laeng Ngob on the left side, called Toscana.

You might get a good rate of you stay a week and explore the province.

Trat is a rural agricultural province with beautiful and mostly empty beaches. Also explore the inland and drive to Borai.

For fun you would have to take the ferry to Kho Chang.

But I do prefer any other island around Kho Chang. More natural and cleaner, both the water and the beach.

• 8 months later...