PM axes 45 officials under graft probe with his special powers

Lite Beer

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a questionable jump of logic to assume that just because a regime is "tough on corruption' they are good for a nation as a whole. many draconian regimes hae claimed to be tough on corruption largely to justify the removal of those they consider to be unaligned with they own agendas.

Edited by cumgranosalum

The corrupt axing the corrupt. I'd love to have a database to cross reference to find out which color of shirt appointed these people. It would be interesting to know the backgrounds of their replacements.

Consolidation of power comes to mind.

Sometimes it take a thief to catch a thief !!

To put an end to a nationwide endemic of corruption it has to start somewhere with someone... or do you prefer to return to the "Red Regime" ??

Has anyone ever seen an update on how many family members of his handpicked people had to give up the sinecures they were appointed to ?

Remember the PM condoned this as they wanted to ' appoint people they could trust ', protection is therefore inherent.

TRANSFER

45 govt officials transferred over corruption charges

The Nation

The order also lists the ad hoc positions created to accommodate the 44 officials.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/45-govt-officials-transferred-over-corruption-char-30260231.html

Well, I'm not quite sure what an "an hoc" position is in the parlance of Thai government bureaucracy.

But it seems The Nation here has answered the question I posed above:

These bureaucrats aren't being FIRED from government service, at least not yet.

They're just being removed from their prior positions, and transferred to sit on a shelf somewhere, presumably continuing to receive government pay.

Will any of them ever actually be fired from government service or prosecuted for their alleged corruption? Will any of us live long enough to ever see the culmination of that?

45 got sacked. I wonder what they did and how much they gained from it. Will they be prosecuted? Bring it out into the media. Many thousands corrupt ones out there. Publicity might convince a lot of them to change their ways.

Only a fair chance of getting caught plus severe punishment can break corruption.

Bet they have some fat bank accounts but they will NOT be checked and the people told to account for their wealth. Arrest , charge and if guilty given long prison sentences and that may deter some of the thousands of crooked officials out there

If all the officials dismissed are "Red Shirts" or sympathizers or appointed by the Pheu Thai government than all this is nothing more than routing out the opposition and nothing to do with corruption.

As someone above said...the whole story would be revealed if we knew the affiliation of these officials.

i would have thought if they are corrupt i would not matter who they support..just thieving scum who deserve prison...surely...

If all the officials dismissed are "Red Shirts" or sympathizers or appointed by the Pheu Thai government than all this is nothing more than routing out the opposition and nothing to do with corruption.

As someone above said...the whole story would be revealed if we knew the affiliation of these officials.

i would have thought if they are corrupt i would not matter who they support..just thieving scum who deserve prison...surely...

people here complain about Corruption. Then when something is done about it, they have nothing but negative things to say.

What is wrong with you people.

If they are trying to rid corruption, they should be applauded for it..

Sure but if you look closer they are all affiliates with the Reds. Suraphol Thuanthong two years ago arrested a group of traffickers with 5.3 million Yaba pills and is linked to Yingluck. The Udon governor is linked to Yingluck too. Why do they just transfer and let it out in the open what they are accused off.

All seems to be related to the past Yingluck Government so I call it selective targeting. If they have done something wrong charge them in court.

It would be interesting to know when the NACC started this investigation, and what transpired to identify these 45 persons as corrupt.

The list submitted at the beginning of April by the NACC had over 100 names on it according to reports so it begs the question of what happened to the others.

Interesting point NS.

Now can you tell us how say, the PTP would do things differently if they were in power ?

Some of the wording you used in your post made me think of the Shins for some reason. whistling.gif

Would the PTP have something like article 44 at their disposal? smile.png

Hilarious ! Only a fool or someone who knew absolutely nothing about the PTP would know they would not need something like Article 44 to carry out their dodgy deals.

Did they have it when they were trying to sneak amnesty laws through in the middle of the night ? Or when they were handpicking cronies for "certain" positions in government ?

They stank to high heaven, with or without Article 44.

The irony being that the things you are whinging about, the amnesty and putting cronies in certain positions, has been repeated by this Govt.....

Not to mention every single Govt in the history of Thailand and possibly the whole world put their cronies in certain positions.

So then, this entire thread is a non-event as everyone everywhere does it.

people here complain about Corruption. Then when something is done about it, they have nothing but negative things to say.

What is wrong with you people.

If they are trying to rid corruption, they should be applauded for it..

It's a by-product of the ever ongoing corruption...skepticism.

How much money did these suspects steal? Will all their assets be taken away from them or will they go on in life enjoying the ill-gotten gains?

Were they due to retire anyway and this is all smoke and mirrors?

As some have said, let me see the indictments, the arrests, the trial, the verdict, the sanctions.. until then, this is not much of anything.

Edited by Nowisee

Can you not look up that info yourself?

If you're interested enough to discuss a topic, it seems a reasonable expectation.

Edited by FreddieJ2

I think this is a thumbs up to the PM. This is a good positive start which needs to be commended. Corruption is deeply ingrained and the authorities need to start somewhere. I see some positive things coming out of the government recently. They are looking into over charging in the medical field. They are talking about cracking down on human trafficking and now some key positions are axed for corruption. This is very positive. hope more is to come

That is nice to know but not so reassuring as many have pointed out because ....who will replace the corrupted official(s) ??

Possibly the newly appointed officials will be less corrupt ( possibly ) or certainly more clever in their methods of enriching themselves in numerous ways related to their government positions while effectively covering up the ways and means of plundering the government funding.

Also...keep in mind the newly appointed officials are going to inherit a thoroughly corrupted government based entity that has always been corrupted from way back during former administrations and appointments from the past.

The newly appointed officials could be the most honest of people with truly good intentions and well meaning agendas....however, if everyone else that remains is already long corrupted and well versed in how to milk the system and the milk the funding allotted to their particular government entity, then how can you expect the newly appointed official be held responsible for the past malfeasance perpetrated by possibly hundreds of players, both private and or Governmental, big and small, all interconnected directly or indirectly to the flow of substantial amounts money, coming and going.

I would not want to take on that newly appointed position as any one that does will always be criticized and or accused of corruption and malfeasance no matter how honest they try to be.

A nearly impossible position to take on without being held responsible for what is already well entrenched and nearly impossible to change ....so you can understand in part why they try to make a load of money during their tenure and then leave, regardless of loss of face while certain they will not be going to prison.

Cheers

The Udon governor is linked to Yingluck too.

All seems to be related to the past Yingluck Government so I call it selective targeting.

Could you expound on your info please?

I didn't find any particular link that would suggest any exceptional closeness to Yingluck and your alleged "selective targeting".

The Udon governor is linked to Yingluck too.

All seems to be related to the past Yingluck Government so I call it selective targeting.

Could you expound on your info please?

I didn't find any particular link that would suggest any exceptional closeness to Yingluck and your alleged "selective targeting".

If you live in Udon you would understand how things were here when PTP and the reds ran the show.

Time to move his family and friends into those vacant positions.

For heavens sake fella.We want him to get tough and do something positive about corruption (for a start).We critiscise him for picking out a few small fry in the bottom of the bin,then when he does something we all want by ridding the top people you are still not happy,and pass some idiotic critiscism.It would appear that you just like sitting at home being negative.I say good on ya General.Just keep going like that bit by bit until they get the message and change their ways brfore they get caught too.This is the only way to get through to themclap2.gif

The corrupt axing the corrupt. I'd love to have a database to cross reference to find out which color of shirt appointed these people. It would be interesting to know the backgrounds of their replacements.

Consolidation of power comes to mind.

Interesting point NS.

Now can you tell us how say, the PTP would do things differently if they were in power ?

Some of the wording you used in your post made me think of the Shins for some reason. whistling.gif

Would the PTP have something like article 44 at their disposal? smile.png

I dread to think what Thaksin would do with it, there wouldn't be anything left worth having if he could use this for his financial gain.

This is why a benevolent dictatorship is far superior to democracy - I bet Obama wishes he had article 44 at his disposal!!! Boy, when your own party votes you down almost unanimously whilst the Republicans back you and you cannot seal a Pacific rim deal or US-EU pact because of your own party's non-support then that is kind of embarrassing!!!

He wanted to make it so that lawmakers were prevented from making alterations after they were signed off (how very democratic Mr. Obama).

He is doing an excellent job in sabotaging the next Democrat's chances of being elected. Obama is in bed with corporate America and is slowly killing you all without you realising it!!