Who likes Vietnamese?

kaptainrob

Nana bakery have excellent baguettes, even Makro's ok when very fresh and/or lightly toasted just before consumption.

The French are in shock when you say makro's baguettes are ok. The l'opera bakery, festival market and the French bakery off walai road are the only acceptable

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nana bakery have excellent baguettes, even Makro's ok when very fresh and/or lightly toasted just before consumption.

The French are in shock when you say makro's baguettes are ok. The l'opera bakery, festival market and the French bakery off walai road are the only acceptable

Makro baguettes are Thai's idea of french baguettes, and they are terrible.

Firstly talking in absolutes such that only three bakery's breads are acceptable, as that's the final say, is ridiculous. Food is subjective and why do the all the French think they are the world's experts on all things culinary anyway, even if the subject happens to be about a French food product?

I'm an American who is classically trained in the French culinary methodology and was a Chef in Paris and thinks the fresh out of the oven baguettes from the Hang Dong location are REALLY good if used for the right purposes.

I bet you'd be surprised if you knew that some of bread you loved that was served to you in a restaurant was theirs.

Edited by junglechef

Firstly talking in absolutes such that only three bakery's breads are acceptable, as that's the final say, is ridiculous. Food is subjective and why do the all the French think they are the world's experts on all things culinary anyway, even if the subject happens to be about a French food product?

I'm an American who is classically trained in the French culinary methodology and was a Chef in Paris and thinks the fresh out of the oven baguettes from the Hang Dong location are REALLY good if used for the right purposes.

I bet you'd be surprised if you knew that some of bread you loved that was served to you in a restaurant was theirs.

I've never been served bread in a restaurant in Chiang mai that I remotely loved What are the right purposes for hang dong bread that you find good

I've never really had bread that I loved in Chiang Mai either, but luckily I'm not that fussy about bread. The best I've had for quite a while is served at the Le Meridien buffet. It really stands out. I like the corn bread at the Duke's a lot too, but that is more of a specialty item and you have to order ribs to get it.

kaptainkrob, another best bread delcaration :) , perhaps you mean your favorite or left out the IMHO or are just taking a piss with me

LadyBird, I'm not a bread snob, actually I didn't grow up eating it often, could give or take it and don't eat it now much either esp. as I"m gluten intolerant. I'll admit to being a food snob, I'm not going to argue with those who call me that, as I have high standards and care about it, I guess that's also called a Foodie now, another cringe worthy title.

mascara....., a good old American sub sandwich would be a prefect match for Makro HD baguette or even a Vietamese sub :)

I have only had it in restaurants as we bake our own bread at home

kaptainkrob, another best bread delcaration smile.png , perhaps you mean your favorite or left out the IMHO or are just taking a piss with me

LadyBird, I'm not a bread snob, actually I didn't grow up eating it often, could give or take it and don't eat it now much either esp. as I"m gluten intolerant. I'll admit to being a food snob, I'm not going to argue with those who call me that, as I have high standards and care about it, I guess that's also called a Foodie now, another cringe worthy title.

mascara....., a good old American sub sandwich would be a prefect match for Makro HD baguette or even a Vietamese sub smile.png

I have only had it in restaurants as we bake our own bread at home

Jungle--you know better than to make excuses for a baguette. we've both lived in France and know JUST what to expect from a baguette. I stopped at L'opera this morning on the way into the city and bought a baguette to have with an expresso. You know that a warm baguette in the morning with butter and preserves has no substitutes wether it be makro or 7/11, You know what I'm talking aboutpost-229088-0-77792400-1432443056_thumb.

I'll admit I was referring to the Super Highway location. Even our dog wouldn't eat it. No joke!

I agree that those look like lovely French baguettes and I've enjoyed some nice products from L'Opera myself.

I'm not making excuses maybe it just got lost in translation. Things here are not always called here what they are originally called in other places. So I took it that Makro calling what I would say is Sub Roll a Baguette is just like some places calling ketchup with boiled pork Bolognaise, not my definition but we're not in France or Italy or even America. Picture a Thai eating Som Tum in a mall in Nebraska.

I expect those were great with butter (not that non-dairy product they call butter here) and preserves just as the Makro "Baguette" is when made with Italian sub fillings.

As the classical French type would be to hard and small, and vise versa , I wouldn't want either bread with the other.

I recommend trying the "Banh Mi (VN Baguette)" at Pho Ahn, the bread and it's contents make a nice lunch.

Pho Ahn is a superb Vietnamese restaurant. I have eaten there a few times but not nearly enough. The owners are great personal friends of mine and have been working hard to make their business a success. I recommend to give it a shot and you won't be disappointed.

First time there at lunch today. Had the Banh Mi. Absolutely delicious. Can't remember when I had a better sandwich in Chiang Mai. Place was packed though. Every table taken. Service a bit slow. That's OK. I'll be back....

First time there at lunch today. Had the Banh Mi. Absolutely delicious. Can't remember when I had a better sandwich in Chiang Mai. Place was packed though. Every table taken. Service a bit slow. That's OK. I'll be back....

Sounds like business has picked up. That's good news.

KaptainRob, good job starting this thread! I am glad that everyone that has tried the restaurant has found it up to standard. It's great that this discussion has brought them more customers, because as others have said, the owners and employees all come across as decent hardworking people which anyone would want to see succeed.

Also would like to add that it's a pretty cool atmosphere and a pleasant place to stay and eat. I actually made the solo trip out from HangDong two days ago as I was fiending for a Bahn Mi.

KaptainRob, good job starting this thread! I am glad that everyone that has tried the restaurant has found it up to standard. It's great that this discussion has brought them more customers, because as others have said, the owners and employees all come across as decent hardworking people which anyone would want to see succeed.

Also would like to add that it's a pretty cool atmosphere and a pleasant place to stay and eat. I actually made the solo trip out from HangDong two days ago as I was fiending for a Bahn Mi.

I'm also glad that this thread has brought business to Pho Anh. In the past, every time I was there, I was the only customer and I was worried they may not make it. Besides the fantastic food another thing I really like there is the cleanliness. I mean it is absolutely spotless in there. Of course the people who run the place are all very nice too.

It's a bit out of the way but well worth the trip there.

It's a bit out of the way but well worth the trip there.

It's really not too far out of the way.... Something like 1km from the Super Hwy off the middle ring road so traffic is not bad.... and the thing I like is that there's an abundance of parking space at the restaurant.

One more good thing about Pho Ahn. On each table is a bottle of the Sriracha sauce (by Huy Fong, the "rooster" sauce from the US). The Pho Ahn lady told me they ship it in from California but she would not sell me one. As far as I know there is nowhere in CM where it is sold. Rinping does sell a Thai-made Sriracha sauce but it is not nearly as good.

One more good thing about Pho Ahn. On each table is a bottle of the Sriracha sauce (by Huy Fong, the "rooster" sauce from the US). The Pho Ahn lady told me they ship it in from California but she would not sell me one. As far as I know there is nowhere in CM where it is sold. Rinping does sell a Thai-made Sriracha sauce but it is not nearly as good.

That has to be a new addition as I would have noticed it before. After trying for months and months to order the Shark brand Sriracha sauce made here in Thailand without success, I obtained several bottles of not only Shark brand but Huy Fong Sriracha sauce too; all from USA. The funny thing is that the sole distributor of Shark brand refused to sell me 10 bottles for 60 Baht each and when I again asked him, he wouldn't take my call or return my email I wrote him in Thai, yet I found the product in USA for US $0.39 per bottle! tongue.png

Elekrtified, Yo Da Man! I've bought Shark Brand before and like (forget where or when) and have a few bottles of Huy Fong brought by visitors and from a guy in Hang Dong who took some back and sold on the TV CM forum. I also have 863 Brand in my fridge now but I find some of the Thai ones too hot.

Never noticed Rooster sauce on the tables of Pho Ahn but last week I had the Bahn Mi which wouldn't be necessary with. Wonder if they also have Hoisin Sauce on the table as I'm use to at Pho shops in America. Sounds like I just might have to go and have a Pho on my way to pick up the kids from school today, just my luck I drive right by it 2x a day!!

Edited by junglechef