Thaksin in Seoul: deja vu all over again?

webfact

The longer Thaksin is ignored (but watched over) the more he is losing his brand image (the one fabricated by his various PR companies).

Once he'll be completely forgotten. This is why this government is making little fuss about his pathetic attempts at regaining popularity.

To cancel his red passport would create polemics. It's only a statute symbol. Let him keep it.

What Thaksin could do is to try to save his sister (I believe she is his daughter) because he is the one who put her in this position.

As a daughter she had no alternative but to be loyal.

The government will go through the motions to sentence her, but she will know when it's time to leave.

She won't go to Dubai, the US will roll the red carpet for her where she can be his lobbyist.

Sociopaths like him never give up on trying to return to power.

Edited by keskeseksa

I have no problem with Thaksin as long as he is not interfering in the progress of Thailand or plotting to return to power. I do wish him a slow, painful death for what he has already done, though. I'll wait until I hear what the creature has to say before I can know if he is being his typical, self-serving self or has risen above self interest on this one occasion. Anyone following my posts knows I am one of those, "anti-Thaksin elements".

He is the reason Thailand has a military government today because his last puppet government tried to cover up all his and their corruption with a 'blanket' amnesty bill that nearly led to civil war.

And the reasons before for military governments were what?

You still don't see that the army ARE the driving force behind the country's inability to move forwards as it means they could lose their power if they like most other armies in the world came under a government and answered to them, and not to a group of dinosaurs lurking behind the scenes?

I suppose you are referring to 2006 when the military took over Thaksin's illegal government.

The last time Dr. Thaksin was legitimately PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over the tax-free sale of his 49% of ShinCorp, a telecoms business, to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. He expected to get a fresh mandate from a new election as he believed he was immensely popular. The Democrat Party chose to boycott the election (it is their right to not field a candidate under long-standing Thai election law) leaving Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party running unopposed in many districts. Long-standing Thai election law states that when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast) and Thaksin began to worry he wouldnt/couldn't get 40% of the electorate to turn out for him so his TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them. That way TRT would only need a simple majority of votes cast to win each district. Paying the smaller parties is against the law and considered cheating. TRT got caught and the election was nullified by the Constitutional Court.

Thaksin had 60 days to hold new elections after the previous elections were voided but failed to do so. At the end of those 60 days, his mandate to govern was over and he moved out of Government House and a Deputy PM, Police General Chitchai Wannasathit (Acting Prime Minister by Royal Command) 5 April 2006 - 23 May 2006, was installed as caretaker PM to facilitate new elections. Seven weeks later, Dr. Thaksin moved back into government house and there was no power to stop him. Though Dr. Thaksin was in Government House acting as PM, he had no legal authority under the constitution to be there. When the Army moved in, they did not oust a sitting PM but they did oust a pretender and power grabber. Who else was going to enforce Constitutional rules that should be enforced by the Executive Branch of Government? In this case, The Executive Branch had been coopted by a pretender (Dr. Thaksin) who was not following the Constitution that he was supposed to uphold. The Army is the Last Resort to prevent dictatorship and abuse at the highest levels. The Army turned over governing to Civilian rule within weeks. I repeat, Dr. Thaksin was not a legal PM when the Army moved in and in fact, when the Army's appointed civilian government held elections, they did not prevent the installation of a government by Dr. Thaksin's nominee, K. Samak, after he won. Now you can see why so many people can never trust an undemocratic figure as Dr. Thaksin has proved himself to be.

Actually, the coup was more than four months AFTER the Constitution Court's invalidating the election and he STILL hadn't held new elections. "Democracy is not my goal" - Thaksin Shinawatra. One has to ask if he was ever going to hold new elections.

Time line from CNN

January 23 - The Shinawatra family announce the sale of its controlling stake in telecom company Shin Corp. to Singapore's state-owned Temasek Holdings for a tax-free $1.9 billion.

February 24 - Thaksin dissolves parliament, calls for snap elections on April 2 amid protests and mounting criticism over his family's sale of shares in Shin Corp.

March 5 - Tens of thousands attend rally by newly formed People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to call for Thaksin's resignation for alleged abuse of power, corruption and business conflicts of interest.

April 3 - Thaksin claims victory after snap election, which opposition parties boycotted over corruption allegations. Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was the only major party to participate.

May 8 - Constitutional Court rules April election invalid.

September 19 - Military seizes power in a bloodless coup following series of PAD rallies, while Thaksin is at the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

source: Thailand timeline 2001-2011

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

BTW CNN famously reports with a pro Thaksin bias.

I have three questions for you:

If Thaksin was so popular, as all his supporters say, why couldn't he get just 40% of the electorate to come out and return him to power legitimately?

Why did he return to government house seven weeks after he had resigned as caretaker PM and already installed his successor caretaker PM?

Who else but the military could make him do the lawful thing?

I'm afraid you can't answer ANY of these questions.

I am grateful that Thailand has such loyal, wise, brilliant military leaders that tolerate the civilian governments' corruption but know when 'enough is enough'.

I don't know why Thaksin apologists keep wanting to rewrite history or read this post, which I've put up many times (it's no bother as I keep the word document on my desktop). I will continue to print the truth every time someone distorts it.

Ummmm no, I am referring to all the coups prior to Thaksin.

And why you pose 3 questions and then states I can't answer them?

Pointless asking them isn't it?

Then you go onto to use words like apologists, try getting your empty head around this, I couldn't care two monkeys about Thaksin or his PTP, I couldn't give a toss if he fell out a tree spying on his sister, Thaksin apologist?

I think not, you make an assumption that anti junta = pro Thaksin that shows how narrow minded you really are.

Tell me this, what was so horrendous about your life in Thailand throughout the PTP years? What persecution did you face on a daily basis, it sounds so horrendous for the all the farangs who lived here in such brutal times, or was the reality just like it is today? As in there's not a single change to your personal circumstances that it was more the Thai people, which you're not, who suffered more hardships ?

Let me ask you 3 questions

Can you personally own land?

Can you personally own your own home?

Can you vote in the next elections in the Kingdom?

I know the answers already, they all start with an N and end with a O.

I was all for the protests, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the amnesty bill already killed off by the upper house and it was never likely to have been passed?

I was also for the protests right up to the point where sabotaging the one true time where the claimed "majority" could have voted Yingluck out, but the democrats couldn't risk another defeat, and neither could the military allow another 4 year term of the PTP.

But unlike you sir, I look towards the things that are going on behind the scenes, of the power plays and reasons why it cannot be the PTP in power when the music stops.

Thaksin is a part of the problem, I just don't buy him being the main problem Thailand has, I unlike you don't accept the army as being whiter than white and above corruption, and unlike you, I also believe khaki coloured hands have been dipping into the cookie jars for decades, but nothing will happen as they have given themselves amnesties!!

NOBODY should be above the laws, but we know that is not the case with the Military in Thailand, you chose to see them as a leaser of two evils, I chose to view them as morally corrupt as those they ousted.

Transparency is like reconciliation, a figment of imaginations that only suits those in power.

You weren't very clear that you were talking about coups in the previous century.

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the amnesty bill already killed off by the upper house and it was never likely to have been passed?

No, because the Senate didn't kill it but just sent is back to Parliament untouched, it only needed to wait for 180 days and then a 50% +1 vote (Thaksin's puppet Parliament could easily muster that many votes) would make it the law of the land (the Senate had already relinquished any right to veto it). I don't see how that is pertinent to the discussion, though.

I think not, you make an assumption that anti junta = pro Thaksin that shows how narrow minded you really are

Right now, in Thailand, to be anti NCPO is to be pro Thaksin because the NCPO is the only thing blocking Thaksin from power. I don't like military government, as a rule, but this one is doing a better job at governing Thailand than any I have witnessed in the last 18 years or read about in the last 83 years. In my opinion, Thaksin was worse for Thailand than most previous military dictatorships in Thailand's history. Until Thaksin is completely, irrevocably out of the picture, I will continue to support Prayut and the NCPO.

anti NCPO = pro Thaksin ?? Really, you need to put down the crack pipe, seriously did you go to some sort of University to figure out that " if you're not with his, you're against us " mentality? I know plenty of anti Junta that wouldn't piss on Thaksin if here were on fire and would more likely pour petrol on him.

You know by being here for the last 18 years and having read up on the history why it can't be PTP in power when a certain date comes around, and THAT is why all the stops are being pulled out to erode that chance.

I have no problem with Thaksin as long as he is not interfering in the progress of Thailand or plotting to return to power. I do wish him a slow, painful death for what he has already done, though. I'll wait until I hear what the creature has to say before I can know if he is being his typical, self-serving self or has risen above self interest on this one occasion. Anyone following my posts knows I am one of those, "anti-Thaksin elements".

He is the reason Thailand has a military government today because his last puppet government tried to cover up all his and their corruption with a 'blanket' amnesty bill that nearly led to civil war.

You still don't see that the army ARE the driving force behind the country's inability to move forwards as it means they could lose their power if they like most other armies in the world came under a government and answered to them, and not to a group of dinosaurs lurking behind the scenes?

I suppose you are referring to 2006 when the military took over Thaksin's illegal government.

The last time Dr. Thaksin was legitimately PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over the tax-free sale of his 49% of ShinCorp, a telecoms business, to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. He expected to get a fresh mandate from a new election as he believed he was immensely popular. The Democrat Party chose to boycott the election (it is their right to not field a candidate under long-standing Thai election law) leaving Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party running unopposed in many districts. Long-standing Thai election law states that when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast) and Thaksin began to worry he wouldnt/couldn't get 40% of the electorate to turn out for him so his TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them. That way TRT would only need a simple majority of votes cast to win each district. Paying the smaller parties is against the law and considered cheating. TRT got caught and the election was nullified by the Constitutional Court.

Thaksin had 60 days to hold new elections after the previous elections were voided but failed to do so. At the end of those 60 days, his mandate to govern was over and he moved out of Government House and a Deputy PM, Police General Chitchai Wannasathit (Acting Prime Minister by Royal Command) 5 April 2006 - 23 May 2006, was installed as caretaker PM to facilitate new elections. Seven weeks later, Dr. Thaksin moved back into government house and there was no power to stop him. Though Dr. Thaksin was in Government House acting as PM, he had no legal authority under the constitution to be there. When the Army moved in, they did not oust a sitting PM but they did oust a pretender and power grabber. Who else was going to enforce Constitutional rules that should be enforced by the Executive Branch of Government? In this case, The Executive Branch had been coopted by a pretender (Dr. Thaksin) who was not following the Constitution that he was supposed to uphold. The Army is the Last Resort to prevent dictatorship and abuse at the highest levels. The Army turned over governing to Civilian rule within weeks. I repeat, Dr. Thaksin was not a legal PM when the Army moved in and in fact, when the Army's appointed civilian government held elections, they did not prevent the installation of a government by Dr. Thaksin's nominee, K. Samak, after he won. Now you can see why so many people can never trust an undemocratic figure as Dr. Thaksin has proved himself to be.

Actually, the coup was more than four months AFTER the Constitution Court's invalidating the election and he STILL hadn't held new elections. "Democracy is not my goal" - Thaksin Shinawatra. One has to ask if he was ever going to hold new elections.

Time line from CNN

January 23 - The Shinawatra family announce the sale of its controlling stake in telecom company Shin Corp. to Singapore's state-owned Temasek Holdings for a tax-free $1.9 billion.

February 24 - Thaksin dissolves parliament, calls for snap elections on April 2 amid protests and mounting criticism over his family's sale of shares in Shin Corp.

March 5 - Tens of thousands attend rally by newly formed People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to call for Thaksin's resignation for alleged abuse of power, corruption and business conflicts of interest.

April 3 - Thaksin claims victory after snap election, which opposition parties boycotted over corruption allegations. Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was the only major party to participate.

September 19 - Military seizes power in a bloodless coup following series of PAD rallies, while Thaksin is at the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

If Thaksin was so popular, as all his supporters say, why couldn't he get just 40% of the electorate to come out and return him to power legitimately?

Why did he return to government house seven weeks after he had resigned as caretaker PM and already installed his successor caretaker PM?

I am grateful that Thailand has such loyal, wise, brilliant military leaders that tolerate the civilian governments' corruption but know when 'enough is enough'.

I don't know why Thaksin apologists keep wanting to rewrite history or read this post, which I've put up many times (it's no bother as I keep the word document on my desktop). I will continue to print the truth every time someone distorts it.

Then you go onto to use words like apologists, try getting your empty head around this, I couldn't care two monkeys about Thaksin or his PTP, I couldn't give a toss if he fell out a tree spying on his sister, Thaksin apologist?

I think not, you make an assumption that anti junta = pro Thaksin that shows how narrow minded you really are.

Tell me this, what was so horrendous about your life in Thailand throughout the PTP years? What persecution did you face on a daily basis, it sounds so horrendous for the all the farangs who lived here in such brutal times, or was the reality just like it is today? As in there's not a single change to your personal circumstances that it was more the Thai people, which you're not, who suffered more hardships ?

I was all for the protests, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the amnesty bill already killed off by the upper house and it was never likely to have been passed?

I was also for the protests right up to the point where sabotaging the one true time where the claimed "majority" could have voted Yingluck out, but the democrats couldn't risk another defeat, and neither could the military allow another 4 year term of the PTP.

But unlike you sir, I look towards the things that are going on behind the scenes, of the power plays and reasons why it cannot be the PTP in power when the music stops.

Thaksin is a part of the problem, I just don't buy him being the main problem Thailand has, I unlike you don't accept the army as being whiter than white and above corruption, and unlike you, I also believe khaki coloured hands have been dipping into the cookie jars for decades, but nothing will happen as they have given themselves amnesties!!

NOBODY should be above the laws, but we know that is not the case with the Military in Thailand, you chose to see them as a leaser of two evils, I chose to view them as morally corrupt as those they ousted.

Transparency is like reconciliation, a figment of imaginations that only suits those in power.

You weren't very clear that you were talking about coups in the previous century.

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the amnesty bill already killed off by the upper house and it was never likely to have been passed?

No, because the Senate didn't kill it but just sent is back to Parliament untouched, it only needed to wait for 180 days and then a 50% +1 vote (Thaksin's puppet Parliament could easily muster that many votes) would make it the law of the land (the Senate had already relinquished any right to veto it). I don't see how that is pertinent to the discussion, though.

I think not, you make an assumption that anti junta = pro Thaksin that shows how narrow minded you really are

Right now, in Thailand, to be anti NCPO is to be pro Thaksin because the NCPO is the only thing blocking Thaksin from power. I don't like military government, as a rule, but this one is doing a better job at governing Thailand than any I have witnessed in the last 18 years or read about in the last 83 years. In my opinion, Thaksin was worse for Thailand than most previous military dictatorships in Thailand's history. Until Thaksin is completely, irrevocably out of the picture, I will continue to support Prayut and the NCPO.

anti NCPO = pro Thaksin ?? Really, you need to put down the crack pipe, seriously did you go to some sort of University to figure out that " if you're not with his, you're against us " mentality? I know plenty of anti Junta that wouldn't piss on Thaksin if here were on fire and would more likely pour petrol on him.

You know by being here for the last 18 years and having read up on the history why it can't be PTP in power when a certain date comes around, and THAT is why all the stops are being pulled out to erode that chance.

"being here for the last 18 years and having read up on the history"

Well your comments seem to indicate that you haven't read all the history and/or you deliberately ignore parts of the history, and it's also clear that you have a fixed narrow opinion regardless of the facts and the history.

Thaksin is maturing. There was a time, not so very long ago, that after he was made to look like a donkey's butt as regards being caught in the big lie over his generous (although purely fantasy) water pumps during his sister's Great Flood, that he would have shot from the hip and gone down in flames attacking the Koreans for his own ballsup. Let's hope he carries this mature facade over to tomorrow's speech. Some other Shin speeches abroad are notable for their toe-curling self serving lies (Mongolia for 1!), I expect more of the same tomorrow which will doubtless send his supporters into mass priapism.

Didn't YL go on about unfair treatment etc when she was in Mongolia so will he return the favour given her current legal problems discreetly ignoring his part in her downfall ?

It will be interesting to see how he plays this. He could deliver a focused speech and completely ignore Yingluck, the trial, the Junta etc. And refuse any questions on those topics. That would generate huge speculation and comment. Saying note sometimes says more.

But, one things for sure. The lawyers, PR experts and lobbyists will have been hard at work. No doubt they "suggested" his invitation to speak.

The reason his passport has never been cancelled is because all Thai politicians are a scared of what he can do to them if they try. The PM will not dare to cross him. The PM wants to do right but knows the fear of his power!

Time line from CNN

Amnesty Bill - PTP voted for the bill. The Senate rejected it, in response to the mass protests against it. If you remember, there were several versions of the bill at that time. Yingluck said all the versions had been killed off, in response to the protests and the rejection by the upper house.

She lied. (No surprise there). The bill that favored Thaksin wasn't killed. It would have been returned to the lower house, who could then have voted it into law, without it having to again to the upper house. I think the waiting period before it returned was 90 days. PTP wanted to make sure they were in power when that bill returned. No doubt it would have been another 4.00 am vote, after the opposition had been sent home. Yingluck would have claimed, again, this bill was put forward by the lower house MP's not her cabinet / government, etc etc and deny any responsibility for it. Thaksin would be a free man, all outstanding conviction and charges dismissed and return home. Job done.

Yes, I'm sure you are right. There are many reasons Thaksin wants his party in charge, and himself back, in full control at the moment. That danger hasn't gone away just because of the coup.

I wasn't aware there was a third choice. If not Thaksin or the NCPO, what other entity is there to govern Thailand? Please, don't say Abhisit and the Democrats.

Edited by rametindallas

So you say that the military is as corrupt as Thaksin.

In the old days Thai politics went on this way:

1. pseudo elections (vote buying)

2. politicians in power enrich themselves

3. when politicians go too far, military steps in.

4. return to 1.

Then comes Thaksin and he is not satisfied with the modus vivendi between politicians and brass, he wants it all for himself and begins to sell Thailand's state assets, secretly grabbing all the shares for himself, and getting the blessing from the Big Powers by making secret sweet deals with them.

It is clear that had Thaksin or his representatives remained in power, Thailand would have become bankrupt and subsequently become a vassal state of the IMF, implying becoming a neo colony of the Western powers.

I believe that our new PM is not corrupt. As a soldier he is waging a modern battle of wits between the greed of the politicians and their allies, the Western powers who are not able to grease palms as in the old days,

to push for their mega projects.

Whether he'll succeed or not depends on many factors, but he certainly needs the support of the masses.

Time line from CNN

The reason his passport has never been cancelled is because all Thai politicians are a scared of what he can do to them if they try. The PM will not dare to cross him. The PM wants to do right but knows the fear of his power!

The reason his passport has never been cancelled is because all Thai politicians are a scared of what he can do to them if they try.

Provably false on both counts. Abhisit, a Thai politician, canceled his passport. What did Thaksin do to Abhisit? When Yingluck came to power, her Foreign Minister (Thaksin's cousin and self-professed to be unqualified for the job) opened the passport office when it was closed to everyone else due to flooding and then took the passport to Dubai, himself, and hand-delivered it to the fugitive, felon, ex PM Thaksin. Under Thai law, it is not allowed for a felon to hold a passport of any kind. The Shinawatras behave as if they are above the law. PM (at the time) Abhisit wasn't afraid so why should PM Prayut be afraid? I think you are just big talking. Why do you hate Thailand and Thai people so much that you big talk for Thaksin? Get your facts straight and stop trolling.

Why does the Nation continue to print this rubbish.

who really cares where he is ....... ?? coffee1.gif

To the Nation : Forget the past, move on !!!!

Agreed, the sooner the useless news media in Thailand grows-up and gets on with reporting useful and accurate information instead of regurgitating past history, especially about a fugitive criminal and his daily bowel movements the more the majority of people in Thailand will be happier instead of hearing Thaksin this Thaksin that over and over.

it's always amazing, what this man can make with some farangs. Though having no power to change anything, they use words for Thaksin as "creature", wishing him a painful death,.

One must be blind or at least ignorant to make him responsable for all the troubles in Thailand as if he is the "bad" and the army are the "Good"

Thaksin is a politician as many of those in our countries. They are not all "angels". But maybe you?

- Past trt, pt, UDD, red etc., folks, yes they would very likely fear his possible reprisals, mostly meaning fearing his red local thugs etc., who think they are the law.

- The good general and his team - very very doubtful they would fear thaksin.

Edited by scorecard

Apparently, not when there is an opportunity for historical revisionism. I'm surprised that no one else noticed this part of the article:

Thailand was the second nation after the United States to send troops to support South Korea during the Korean War.

Really?

The war started in June 1950. Australia and the UK were involved shortly thereafter with Australia heavily involved by October 1950. Canadian troops started to be deployed in large numbers starting in November 1950, with their arrival on US troop ships by December 1950. And then came Thailand almost a year later. A division of Thai soldiers (21st Infantry) was deployed to Korea in July 1951 and they were attached to the US 2nd Infantry Division. Thailand's military junta of the time was the first Asian country to offer "moral" support to Korea.

Sorry, but it really ticks me off when the Thai media plays fast and loose with the historical record.

Interesting point you raise.

I would add

- "do Thai reporters and journalists have any insightful knowledge about past regional or world history?"

- Perhaps also add the 4th Johari window ' don't know what I/they don't know'.

Answers to both: I very much doubt it.

Edited by scorecard

The longer Thaksin is ignored (but watched over) the more he is losing his brand image (the one fabricated by his various PR companies).

Once he'll be completely forgotten. This is why this government is making little fuss about his pathetic attempts at regaining popularity.

To cancel his red passport would create polemics. It's only a statute symbol. Let him keep it.

What Thaksin could do is to try to save his sister (I believe she is his daughter) because he is the one who put her in this position.

As a daughter she had no alternative but to be loyal.

The government will go through the motions to sentence her, but she will know when it's time to leave.

She won't go to Dubai, the US will roll the red carpet for her where she can be his lobbyist.

Sociopaths like him never give up on trying to return to power.

I agree with your post for the most apart.

I disagree with your comment regarding Yingluck being Thaksin's daughter. A look at this link clearly shows she is the youngest daughter of Lert Shinawatra. As a younger sister, and as such, traditionally, she has no alternative but to be loyal.

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/08/08/the-shinawatra-family-tree/

Edited by ratcatcher

The timing is dangerous, as his sister and trawanten are on the edge of appear in a Thai Court, with heavy sentences hanging in the balance.

I'm not sure if Khun thaksin does the right thing, as it may trigger a stiff respons in court.

I am confused by your comment! Are you suggesting that a Thai court would judge Ms Yingluck and sentence her because of a speech her brother gives in Korea and not on the transgression allegedly made when she was in office?

Progress towards a dictatorship ?

Progress towards a dictatorship ? I presume by inference to the reference you were quoting, that you do not consider Thacksin's premiership of the nation as a dictatorship, (probably because you fancy he was elected in a free and fair democratic election, which is arguable.) However, I looked up the Google dictionary meanings of Despotic & Fascist and he bolts into both of those not vary flattering titles. Consequently I would suggest we could honorarily and fairly bestow the "Dictator" title (epithet)??) on him as well. When the General finishes cleaning up his second, or third (or perhaps his 23rd) 45 person lists of seriously corrupt public officials Thailand might finally be beyond the poisoned Thaksin legacy; and also the last of any skunks still there stinking up local & regional administration from before Thaksin's dynasty came on board.

Edited by The Deerhunter

- Past trt, pt, UDD, red etc., folks, yes they would very likely fear his possible reprisals, mostly meaning fearing his red local thugs etc., who think they are the law.

- The good general and his team - very very doubtful they would fear thaksin.

Possibly the subject of his passport is a moot point now. Do we know if he still uses it or that the General has not already withdrawn it? Does he not travel on his Montenegrin passport?

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2015/05/ex-thai-pm-stresses-rule-of-law-as-sister-appears-in-court/?

Ex-Thai PM stresses rule of law as sister appears in court

SEOUL, May 19 – Thailand’s wildly divisive billionaire former premier Thaksin Shinawatra on Tuesday told Asian governments the “rule of law” was key to democracy, nearly a year after the military toppled his sister’s administration.

Thaksin’s rare comments came as his sister Yingluck appeared in a Bangkok court to plead not guilty to negligence over a costly rice subsidy policy during her stint as premier, which was ended by the courts just days before last May’s coup.

Telecoms tycoon-turned-premier Thaksin sits at the heart of a decade-long political rupture in Thailand and has lived in self-imposed exile since 2008 to avoid jail on a graft charge he says was politically motivated.

He was also toppled in a coup, in 2006, yet Shinawatra family members or affiliates have still won every Thai election since.

“The key to good governance and democracy is you have to strike a balance” between the judicial, legislative and executive branches, he said at the Asian Leadership Conference in Seoul.

Full article http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2015/05/ex-thai-pm-stresses-rule-of-law-as-sister-appears-in-court/?

Agreed, the sooner the useless news media in Thailand grows-up and gets on with reporting useful and accurate information instead of regurgitating past history, especially about a fugitive criminal and his daily bowel movements the more the majority of people in Thailand will be happier instead of hearing Thaksin this Thaksin that over and over.

There is only one piece of news that I want to hear about Thaksin: "He is in jail". This country should not rest until it happens.

With him and possibly his sister behind bars sends a huge message to future politicians.

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2015/05/ex-thai-pm-stresses-rule-of-law-as-sister-appears-in-court/?

Ex-Thai PM stresses rule of law as sister appears in court

SEOUL, May 19 – Thailand’s wildly divisive billionaire former premier Thaksin Shinawatra on Tuesday told Asian governments the “rule of law” was key to democracy, nearly a year after the military toppled his sister’s administration.

Thaksin’s rare comments came as his sister Yingluck appeared in a Bangkok court to plead not guilty to negligence over a costly rice subsidy policy during her stint as premier, which was ended by the courts just days before last May’s coup.

Telecoms tycoon-turned-premier Thaksin sits at the heart of a decade-long political rupture in Thailand and has lived in self-imposed exile since 2008 to avoid jail on a graft charge he says was politically motivated.

He was also toppled in a coup, in 2006, yet Shinawatra family members or affiliates have still won every Thai election since.

“The key to good governance and democracy is you have to strike a balance” between the judicial, legislative and executive branches, he said at the Asian Leadership Conference in Seoul.

Full article http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2015/05/ex-thai-pm-stresses-rule-of-law-as-sister-appears-in-court/?

"The key to good governance and democracy is you have to strike a balance” between the judicial, legislative and executive branches, he said at the Asian Leadership Conference in Seoul."

What does he mean by 'balance'. I expect he means that all branches should be flexible and he also means the politicians should override / direct the other branches. In other words political interference.

All of the branches should be left alone to carry out their mandate / their reason for existence. But of course with some independent checking process to monitor their work and ring bells when needed.

Then he mentions the importance of the rule of law. He's the last person on earth who should be waving any flags about the law. Did the men, women and children gunned down in his was on drugs get due process as prescribed in the constitution and the laws of Thailand? NO.

Did the young men gunned down in the mosque and the trucking suffocation incidents in the South get proper legal process? NO.

Did he knowingly personally break a serious law in regard to abuse of authority? YES.