Best hotel breakfast buffet

stament

Had a very nice breakfast with my wife yesterday and looking fwd to doing the same thing when we come to Chiang Mai.

What I'm interested in is a nice relaxing hotel buffet breakfast which serves quality food and choice, particularly bacon and cold meats, cheese, etc. being from England I always find it very difficult to get good quality sausages as well as bacon when I'm abroad. Eggs benedict would be a bonus too :-)

My wife enjoys bacon and sausages as well as traditional Thai

Read Le Meridien is quite good. Can anyone else recommend any others and the approximate prices?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best sausages I've had in years are the pork snags from the UK, available in TOPS.

To be fair, I haven't tried Sausage King. Any comments folk?

I would skip the hotel buffets - they are WAY overpriced - and go somewhere like The Art Cafe, Bake and Bite, Butter is Better for good American breakfasts or The Wild Boar or Archers for a British one. The restaurant quality is better and MUCH cheaper.

I would skip the hotel buffets - they are WAY overpriced - and go somewhere like The Art Cafe, Bake and Bite, Butter is Better for good American breakfasts or The Wild Boar or Archers for a British one. The restaurant quality is better and MUCH cheaper.

I don't think any of those are a buffet. That is what the OP is asking for.

If I ever found a buffet with eggs benedict I would be there often. Fortunately I don't know where there is one. It definitely would not be good for my waist line.

The Ex Pat's has a good one with Bacon Ham and American type pork sausages the first and third Fridays of every month. They have omelets instead of Eggs Benedict. It is at 9:30 in the morning until 11:30. Will be interesting to hear about other breakfast Buffets. Tried the Dongtawhan not happy with it.

One of the cheaper buffets, although still expensive for daily consumption, is at the Empress Hotel, a few blocks south of the Night Bazaar area. For around 300 baht each, one can have all the bacon necessary to start the day. Fried eggs, omelets, and scrambled eggs are the extent of the selections for eggs.

Fresh, hot waffles, toast, various other breads and baked pastries, lots of fresh fruit, juices, coffee and tea are included in the price. There are some Thai items as well, but I'd say it's primarily geared for the international guest. Baked beans, wiener sausages, potatoes, french toast, pancakes, cold cereals, yogurt, on and on; it's really an extensive buffet.

And, of course, one doesn't have to stay at the hotel to enjoy the breakfast.

I particularly want a buffet, I know they cost more but sometimes nice to treat oneself.

Plus the choice is good

I understand that you are looking for a buffet, but, for my tastes (and yours might be different), breakfast buffets in Chiang Mai are not very good and way over-priced. They are more like lousy lunch buffets with a few sub-par breakfast items.

Personally, I like breakfast food for breakfast and I can get all I want - and much better quality - for about a third of the price of a buffet in a nice hotel at the places I listed above.

If you feel differently. Le Meridien is better than most, but I really felt ripped off when I tried it. The ambiance is OK and some of the food is not bad, but I think it is something like 600 baht.

I'm totally stuffed when I order the Canadian breakfast at the Wild Boar and the bacon and fried potatoes are some of the best in town. It is 150 baht.

MrBrad recommended The Empress and he has good taste, plus the price is much cheaper than the hotels I'm thinking of. That sounds worth a try.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The best sausages I've had in years are the pork snags from the UK, available in TOPS.

I've bought those a couple of times, Mr K really likes the Lancashire ones. Sausage King pork and leek snags are perfect for toad in the hole, I need to go get some more. However, we digress; the big hotels probably won't have them on a buffet as they are anything but cheap.

The eating, even at the Shangri-la certainly won't be anywhere near the quality of Premier Inn or suchlike in England.

Sausage is one of the hardest things to get as a tourist or expat, especially if you get yours from a small butcher rather than those mass produced ones at the supermarkets; it took me well over 10 years of trying in Australia before biting the bullet and making my own.

Good luck, I hope you find the breakfast you're looking for.

(8 days and counting until my Premier Inn buffet breakfast.)

Breakfast buffets in Thailand... many look good until one's sees that the nice looking perfectly fried egg is stone cold... that bacon - if any - is not cooked well and is nothing but floppy fat, and sausages are very often low grade hot dogs and toast is done at setting one ... barely tan in spots.

Coffee is often good - but too strong for my taste quite often - but many like it that way. Recently I was served a 'glass' of scalding hot milk - done without warning me ... I burnt my fingers and almost spilled it on my arm and leg - my 'jump back' reflexes actually worked and saved the day.

I find that on the spot omelet cooking can be okay... as with other methods scrambled, etc. if done by the cook on the spot in the serving line and will take a suggestion as to 'doneness' ...

Pancakes - waffles can be okay... if there is syrup -- not always the case. Even jam or marmalade would be okay.

Juice -- often okay ...

If they have 'kaow dthom' I often go for that...

Thanks all for the responses. Whilst I appreciate a buffet isn't the cheapest and you might not get exactly what you want my wife and I lkie the variety. Yesterday we had breakfast at the Hilton Jumeirah which was very nice despite no pork!

We eat thai food everyday when we are in CM but sometimes it's nice to go somewhere that has a wide choice and is a little relaxing. I don't mind paying more or overpaying as some say for this.

I've been to Soi 1 Bar Bakery and the English breakfast was excellent, so much so that I started a thread recommending it. However, I want a selection this time and whilst the sausage may not be upto the same standard there wil be other items available there to enjoy. Each to their own I say. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Any advance on Meridien or Empress?

I've been to Soi 1 Bar Bakery and the English breakfast was excellent, so much so that I started a thread recommending it.

It is. Also, The Garden - the one across from the Intra-Inn - has good breakfasts in a really comfortable outside eating environment with a roof to protect against rain.

Le Meridien's breakfast buffet is really quite nice, but pricey. It's included in the price of the room, so I think that's part of why they price it so high to the general public, so the people who stay at the hotel feel like they're getting a good value. Actually, if you're looking for a good hotel in that price range, Le Meridien is very, very good and well located. Be sure to check out their happy hour prices on wine, too. Normally their price for wine by the glass is very high, but not during their "happy hour" time.

Edited by NancyL

Well I find they're usually included in the room rate, but I'm not usually up for breakfast anyway.

biggrin.png

I cannot believe anyone would recommend the Empress for breakfast buffet. It literally was the worst meal I have ever had.

Ulysses is quite correct as most breakfast buffets at hotels are sub par here. The Sunday brunch at Holiday inn was good 1 year ago but as of late, they have reduced selection by 50% and take a lot of shortcuts with quality.

Bake and Bite and Art cafe are good and reasonably priced, you could order everything on the menu and still spend less than if you go to Le Meridian.

If you have the money and want a nice setting then Le Meridian would suit your needs. It is a lovely place.

The best breakfast buffet i have had is at the Shangri La Kuala Lumpur if you are ever down that way. Bigger and better than the Le Meridian CM which was good. Centara Duang Tawan and Holiday Inn CM are ok but not special.

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi once and ordered a burger with the room service at about midnight. The guy asked what i would like on the burger? i just said oh everything whatever. The burger was huge even had a slice of pineapple on it, fried egg. It must have been thousands of calories. Next morning at the breakfast buffet i was still stuffed i could hardly eat anything. I had a little bowl of coco pops and a coffee. Thats my main memory of the Dhara Devi missing the breakfast buffett. Still pissed about it now. Thats a special hotel.

Anyone tried the Shangri La CM or the Chedi? is the Chedi now called the Anantara? Maybe the OP should try a few out. I would stick to the high end hotels though if you are looking for the best.

I particularly want a buffet, I know they cost more but sometimes nice to treat oneself.

Plus the choice is good

I understand that you are looking for a buffet, but, for my tastes (and yours might be different), breakfast buffets in Chiang Mai are not very good and way over-priced. They are more like lousy lunch buffets with a few sub-par breakfast items.

Personally, I like breakfast food for breakfast and I can get all I want - and much better quality - for about a third of the price of a buffet in a nice hotel at the places I listed above.

If you feel differently. Le Meridien is better than most, but I really felt ripped off when I tried it. The ambiance is OK and some of the food is not bad, but I think it is something like 600 baht.

I'm totally stuffed when I order the Canadian breakfast at the Wild Boar and the bacon and fried potatoes are some of the best in town. It is 150 baht.

MrBrad recommended The Empress and he has good taste, plus the price is much cheaper than the hotels I'm thinking of. That sounds worth a try.

Why post if you don't like buffets. Start a thread on breakfasts. The LaMeridian sucks. They have never been able to put it together. They keep changing it around. The Empress is OK but has gone down hill. I was unimpressed with the Sunday Holiday Inn one. Going to try one down close to the moat on Loi Kroh later this week as I have to be in the area. I believe the name is the Rhomping Lodge. Not sure of that. The hamburgers and hot dogs are good there. The Thyai food according to my wife is good. But breakfast is the only buffet there.

The best breakfast buffet i have had is at the Shangri La Kuala Lumpur if you are ever down that way. Bigger and better than the Le Meridian CM which was good. Centara Duang Tawan and Holiday Inn CM are ok but not special.

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi once and ordered a burger with the room service at about midnight. The guy asked what i would like on the burger? i just said oh everything whatever. The burger was huge even had a slice of pineapple on it, fried egg. It must have been thousands of calories. Next morning at the breakfast buffet i was still stuffed i could hardly eat anything. I had a little bowl of coco pops and a coffee. Thats my main memory of the Dhara Devi missing the breakfast buffett. Still pissed about it now. Thats a special hotel.

Anyone tried the Shangri La CM or the Chedi? is the Chedi now called the Anantara? Maybe the OP should try a few out. I would stick to the high end hotels though if you are looking for the best.

Did the one in K L have pork sausages?

Had the diner one at ShangriLa and was not impressed so haven't tried the breakfast one.

For some reason I just never considered the Chedi now known as Anantara. when it was the Chedi I believe the price for the afternoon tea was around 400 baht so I thought I would not try the meals. All though I was going to go to one that was supposed to be India food but they had canceled it.

Well, seeing that the recommendations appear to be for hi-class places only, I don't dare mention the smaller, but still very adequate breakfast buffet at the Mercure Hotel north of the moat on Chang Peuak Road. The cost is only 250 baht, and the ambiance is bright and clean though certainly not luxurious.

There's plenty of bacon there, too, along with omelets and other eggs, breads, baked goods, fruit, fresh coffee made on the spot, juices, cold or hot cereals, French toast with syrup, the usual wiener sausages, and a number of other hot foods, as well as some Thai selections including kao tohm, fried rice, and white rice.

For those of us with a less-refined palate, it's worth a visit.

Had the diner one at ShangriLa and was not impressed so haven't tried the breakfast one.

For some reason I just never considered the Chedi now known as Anantara. when it was the Chedi I believe the price for the afternoon tea was around 400 baht so I thought I would not try the meals. All though I was going to go to one that was supposed to be India food but they had canceled it.

I can't remember about the pork sausages but pork is sold in Malaysia, its not taboo like Dubai. Its definitely the biggest and widest selection for a breakfast buffet i have experienced. There was even a chocolate fountain in the waffle area. The Breakfast buffets are always better in a busy hotel. If a hotel is not busy during the low season the breakfast buffet suffers imo.

I visited the Chedi a few years back when the afternoon tea was in full swing. I was just meeting someone i didn't get to try it but it looked good. i think its a four star plus hotel their breakfast buffet maybe good? But will it be affected by low occupancy at the moment?

Well, seeing that the recommendations appear to be for hi-class places only, I don't dare mention the smaller, but still very adequate breakfast buffet at the Mercure Hotel north of the moat on Chang Peuak Road. The cost is only 250 baht, and the ambiance is bright and clean though certainly not luxurious.

There's plenty of bacon there, too, along with omelets and other eggs, breads, baked goods, fruit, fresh coffee made on the spot, juices, cold or hot cereals, French toast with syrup, the usual wiener sausages, and a number of other hot foods, as well as some Thai selections including kao tohm, fried rice, and white rice.

For those of us with a less-refined palate, it's worth a visit.

I think i would be happy at the Mercure. The hotels have got to get the price and value right. An expensive buffet at a five star place is not guaranteed to be better than the Mercure for overall value. 250 baht seems reasonable.

I can't remember about the pork sausages but pork is sold in Malaysia, its not taboo like Dubai. Its definitely the biggest and widest selection for a breakfast buffet i have experienced. There was even a chocolate fountain in the waffle area. The Breakfast buffets are always better in a busy hotel. If a hotel is not busy during the low season the breakfast buffet suffers imo.

I visited the Chedi a few years back when the afternoon tea was in full swing. I was just meeting someone i didn't get to try it but it looked good. i think its a four star plus hotel their breakfast buffet maybe good? But will it be affected by low occupancy at the moment?

while PORK is being sold in Malaysia, NO hotel will offer a breakfast buffet with pork or non-halal food in general. They would simply lose a lot of their business as it would be shunned by the entire Malay population plus the huge numbers of middle-East visitors.

as for CNX -> If you require European style food items, choosing an international or even European Hotel chain would certainly be a smart move. therefore, LeMeridian as part of Starwood, or Mercure as part of Accor should be the place to go, depending on your budget.

In Indonesia, the standard IBIS hotels are the only 3-star places in the entire country (except Bali) where you can find a slice of cheese if you are lucky

I'll recommend the Empress Hotel breakfast buffet. The bacon was crisp and well cooked, the omelets were made to order with a wide choice of ingredients, the cold cuts were plentiful, and the breads, rolls, and croissants fresh and warm. If you sit outside the main dinning room, you can have a nice window seat in a quiet corner.

I'll also recommend Khantary Hills Hotel on the Neiman side of town. Again, mountains of freshly cooked, crisp bacon, selection of cold meats and cheeses, a variety of sausage (though not the very best...) and the croissants light and flakey. Again, a chef making omelets to order with a wide choice of ingredients. Pancakes, waffles, breads toasted as you like it.... Peaceful, quiet surroundings.... Very nice indeed!

Let me add that both of these places also serve Thai as well as Chinese breakfast choices too.

Don't forget lads that we can shun those hotels which do not appreciated our business. No bomb in my turban.

And ONTOPIC. The Orchid Hotel, next to Kad Suan Kaew, aka Central Plaza, offer a substantial breakfast buffet with Thai, Western, Chinese and Japanese dishes. Unlimited coffee, from 6 am to 9am. Cost 265 baht.

Why post if you don't like buffets.

Because I do like really GOOD breakfast buffets, but I have not been able to find one here. I was trying to warn the OP not to waste the money.

However, someday, I want to try the one at the Expat Club because David the Duke is behind it and he has an excellent record when it comes to food. The negative is that it is only a few times a month and you would have to plan for it, unless you want to attend the club meeting, which I have little interest in.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Dont think TOPS is a hotel ....

I like Centara´s breakfast but they probably will have no idea what Egg Benedict is ...

For years I have had a membership at the Intercontal which gives me 50% off `and 30 for 2 or more guest. Hard to beat their Sunday Lobster buffet, 5 types of imported oysters and other full board. The dimsum for same discount in their Chinese restaurant is also excelent. If interested contact Sylvia for membership.

For years I have had a membership at the Intercontal which gives me 50% off `and 30 for 2 or more guest. Hard to beat their Sunday Lobster buffet, 5 types of imported oysters and other full board. The dimsum for same discount in their Chinese restaurant is also excelent. If interested contact Sylvia for membership.

The Shangri La has a very nice buffet, but not sure if it will have particular items you're looking for. They have an omelette bar and the usual varieties of foods you find at nice hotels at breakfast in Thailand. I stayed there for a while and at there most mornings.