Best hotel breakfast buffet

stament

Mercure was recommended before. Is this still something to go for? Have expiring 80 Euro of Accor vouchers and would make a nice evening with korean BBQ around the corner, a night at the hotel and hopefully good breakfast buffet. Anyone tried recently?

The breakfast buffet is available to the general public, and although it's not the most comprehensive array of items, I think it's plenty adequate for the average person.

Omelets and other preparations of eggs are made to order. Breads, cereals, fruit, meats, pan cakes and French toast, juices, coffee, tea, beans, fried potatoes, and more--as well as 3 or 4 Asian selections--are all available for around 250 baht.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Grand View did a good lunch buffet but wasn't aware they did a breakfast specific buffet as well. Do they have real bacon and pork sausages ie those we consider to be real in England ie English style?

I know people talk about it but it has been my experience that it is a limited selection and they do not always keep the foods available. however it is cheap. That is the lunch.

I read Grand View did a good lunch buffet but wasn't aware they did a breakfast specific buffet as well. Do they have real bacon and pork sausages ie those we consider to be real in England ie English style?

Nope, it is more like a lunch that starts at 11.30 that many happen to eat as a brunch. No English Breakfast however BP Chiang Mai City offers similar but it is hot dog style sausages... ;-(...but you can load up for under 180 baht.

More interested in quality and selection than loading up or value after a disappointing recent experience at bake and butter on Chiang Klan, gone downhill from a year ago. Ventured to Soi 1 Bar and Bakery but was closed, hours seem to be very sporadic :-)

Any advance on the Meridien?

More interested in quality and selection than loading up or value after a disappointing recent experience at bake and butter on Chiang Klan, gone downhill from a year ago. Ventured to Soi 1 Bar and Bakery but was closed, hours seem to be very sporadic :-)

Yes, if some place offered a real quality English buffet breakfast in CM it would be go down a storm as word would soon get around.

I hate those godawful 'lips & A-holes" hot dog sausages...

So did Bake and Bite merge with Butter is Better to become Bake and Butter?

Haven't tried their breakfast recently. Over the past few years I have and found it to be very inconsistent and high in price. For a while all they had was off a menu.

Was at the Empress yesterday for breakfast. It was OK I found the omelets to be the best I have had at any buffet but the sausage both pork and chicken was like little wieners. Priced to high for what you were offered. My opinion only. some may love those little wieners and the various ways of preparing rice.

Well it may not be the best breakfast buffet in Chiang Mai but speaking for myself the Ex Pat buffet on the first and third Friday of the month is the best. It is held at the River Market. Not a huge selection but real pork sausage and real baked ham. Not the luncheon meat type you get in the store or at most buffet's.

Thanks Northern John. The Dukes/RiverMarket empire recently has a new executive chef and he's been working on improving an already excellent breakfast buffet at the CM Expats Club Breakfast Club, 1st and 3rd Friday of the month, 9:30 am - 11:30 am. New menu offerings and for the first time that I can recall, last time they had one of the staff members standing by the buffet the entire time so he could keep the lids on the serving dishes and open them just when people came up for seconds. Also, they didn't cook everything hours in advance, but just as needed. The food stayed hot throughout the morning. The best I can remember. 220 baht for CEC members, 270 baht for non-members. includes endless cups of coffee and tea, of course. and the signature free water that Dukes/River Market is known for.

I think for the price and quality, Dukes River Market has the best breakfast buffet in CM, especially if you are a CEC member. This is just another reason to join the CM expat club. CM expats club breakfast, is available on the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month, from 9:30 am to 11:30 am.

Edited by CMNightRider

So did Bake and Bite merge with Butter is Better to become Bake and Butter?

I was unaware that either one of them had a buffet. Where on Chang Klan is this new business located?

I'd go to Empress for breakfast buffet, lunch buffet and dinner a la carte if it wouldn't make me so freakin' fat.

Of course there's cheaper than Empress in Chiang Mai. Of course there's better than Empress in Chiang Mai. But price-quality-selection-atmosphere the whole package for me is be value for money.

For us Breakfast World inside the moat is the best ever. We were surprised with free glasses of sparkling wine which we were told is given every Sunday. ..believe a foreigner runs it.

Sounds interesting also expensive but then again many of the Sunday ones are.

Where is it located?

Slightly off topic but as The Empress keeps getting mentioned..... I ventured out for lunch there last week thinking I would try the buffet. Alas I opened the door and was greeted with an extremely busy room full of people, mainly chinese with plenty of queues. My idea of hell, so I didn't step in, instead went over the road for Tom Yam Noodle soup which was very tasty.

What constitutes naming and shaming exactly? reporting that I've been disappointed with the quality if the food at a particular restaurant for example?

Seems a little ambiguous can one of the miss make it clear as I think the aforementioned type of comment should be allowed.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this? Was at the Jumeirah beach hotel in Dubai the other week and the spread there was great. Thinking of trying the Meridian when I come back next month. Not sure I can face the crowds at the much recommended Empress.

Imperial Mae Ping (153 Sridonchai Road) has a wide variety of European and Asian dishes without breaking the bank, there are some drawbacks, a mass of Chinese coach tourists, sometimes Peanuts in tomato sauce instead of Baked Beans (Gross), but generally as Thai Hotel breakfast buffets go, I have found it to be up there with the best.

Imperial Mae Ping (153 Sridonchai Road) has a wide variety of European and Asian dishes without breaking the bank, there are some drawbacks, a mass of Chinese coach tourists, sometimes Peanuts in tomato sauce instead of Baked Beans (Gross), but generally as Thai Hotel breakfast buffets go, I have found it to be up there with the best.

Mass crowds. Sounds like my worst nightmare, thanks for highlighting at least I know a place to avoid along with the Empress. ;-). Crossing out is as good as recommendations as its narrowing down options so thanks for that, one to avoid for me!

I am more interested in English and European type breakfast buffets rather than Asian to be honest. I can eat Thai food anywhere and better quality than at buffets. Good bacon is more difficult to find with all the other add ons and scandanavian type cold meats, cheeses, etc in a buffet.

It's in Soi 2. Moonmuang Rd.

Do they have VIP parking for my SUV?

Also: sparkling wine for breakfast? (Then again that's perhaps not totally out of the ordinary given the MM Soi 2 location.. :) )

Sounds perfect for Christmas day, a glass of bubbly pre Xmas dinner ;-)

Mass crowds. Sounds like my worst nightmare, thanks for highlighting at least I know a place to avoid along with the Empress. ;-). Crossing out is as good as recommendations as its narrowing down options so thanks for that, one to avoid for me!

I am more interested in English and European type breakfast buffets rather than Asian to be honest. I can eat Thai food anywhere and better quality than at buffets. Good bacon is more difficult to find with all the other add ons and scandanavian type cold meats, cheeses, etc in a buffet.

The bacon was to die for (if you like streaky instead of middle or shoulder) along with the egg station gave me the focus to ignore the masses.

From memory I believe they had a selection of cold cuts and cheeses, but hash browns and mushrooms etc. were more my realm, categorically I can say there was no black pudding or fried bread.