Time Abhisit left politics, says Nattawut

webfact

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- RED-SHIRT co-leader Nattawut Saikua yesterday recommended that Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva retire from politics if he loses the next election.

He was responding to former prime minister Abhisit's remarks on ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra and the Thai political order. Nattawut said the root cause of the existing problems in Thai society lay in a long-running clash between conservatives and liberals.

On Sunday, Abhisit addressed a seminar titled "Inspiration to becoming Politicians" at Rangsit University.

Nattawut said yesterday that he was surprised Abhisit expressed his readiness to stand in the next poll when the rules were still unclear. He noted that the former PM had boycotted previous elections under the 1997 and 2007 constitutions.

"He should be able to draw a lesson from his party's repeated losses and should not repeat the same mistake of always blaming others," Nattawut said.

Abhisit had said he would retire from politics should the Democrats lose. In response, Nattawut said yesterday, "It is a right decision to wash his hands of politics should he lose."

The red-shirt politician said that for him, it did not matter whether Thaksin was involved or not, "but democracy should exist".

He said there had been two significant developments in the Thai political order. First, the spirit of democracy derived from May 1992 clearly highlighted the need for an elected premier, a stable government, and impartial and independent political watchdog agencies. Second, the coming of Thaksin and a new group of leaders had confronted old establishments.

He said the conservatives' influence had been challenged as a result.

Nattawut said that since the coup in 2006, more people had developed political consciousness based on democratic principles. The conservative establishment would try by any means to put pressure on its rivals - and this had led to the emergence of a double-standards political discourse, according to Nattawut.

"I do not say Thaksin was a political wizard, because he still has a lot to do to defend himself from all accusations. Thaksin and his group entered politics by following the proper path. And they are more accepted by society than coup-makers or politicians who gained political power through undemocratic means," Nattawut said.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai Party acting deputy spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said yesterday that the so-called "Thaksin regime" was make-believe. He was responding to Abhisit's placing of blame on the Thaksin regime for the country's political problems.

Anusorn said Abhisit seemed to have "lost his mind" after repeated election losses.

He added that Abhisit should help contribute to the efforts to resolve the political conflict rather than being obsessed with attacking Thaksin.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Time-Abhisit-left-politics-says-Nattawut-30260416.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-19

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai Party acting deputy spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said yesterday that the so-called "Thaksin regime" was make-believe. He was responding to Abhisit's placing of blame on the Thaksin regime for the country's political problems.

Thaksin thinks PT acts, Yingluck is my clone, I am her caddy and all the phone-ins Skype and orders given to do this and not do that are all in the imagination.

All the family and friends put in positions of power are all make believe. Easy to see just who it is who has lost his mind. Seek professional help Khun Anusorn

Nattawut said that since the coup in 2006, more people had developed political consciousness based on democratic principles.

Its a crying shame you haven't sir, when are you going to take responsibility as you promised ?

Anusorn said Abhisit seemed to have "lost his mind" after repeated election losses.

He added that Abhisit should help contribute to the efforts to resolve the political conflict rather than being obsessed with attacking Thaksin.

This is rich coming from someone who is in the process of attacking Abhisit.

Abhisit is the only one who has made any sensible and constructive comments and suggestions, have you Khun Anusom ?

Time indeed for many of the old guard dinosaurs to leave politics to the cyber age generation,

too many old politicians and old generals are refusing to fade away, too much money and power

is out there to be had, just by adding their name to electoral lists...

Haven't Ahbisit resigned after the shameful electoral defeat 2011 election only to change his mind. He also said election was the correct move to resolve the Bangkok shutdown impasse. A week later, he boycotted the election. Can we trust politicians making promises? Just waiting for Sutherp to announce his come back to politics.

Haven't Ahbisit resigned after the shameful electoral defeat 2011 election only to change his mind. He also said election was the correct move to resolve the Bangkok shutdown impasse. A week later, he boycotted the election. Can we trust politicians making promises? Just waiting for Sutherp to announce his come back to politics.

I wouldn't trust any politicians - especially those convicted of criminal activities and sentenced to jail or removed from office as a result of their convictions.

How about you Eric?

What's shameful about losing an election ?. It's called democracy.

He did as a matter of honour to allow the party to decide if he should stay or allow another to take over.

A concept you clearly cannot comprehend. You would do your cause a much greater service if you didn't keep posting retarded rhetoric like this.

What's shameful about losing an election ?. It's called democracy.

He did as a matter of honour to allow the party to decide if he should stay or allow another to take over.

A concept you clearly cannot comprehend. You would do your cause a much greater service if you didn't keep posting retarded rhetoric like this.

Shameful because he and his party were the incumbents and they lost massively or as Reuters called it "a landslide defeat". A matter of honor is when you meant what you said. He didn't, he stayed although he boast of resigning if he lost in the election. A matter of honor is suggesting an election and not taking part.

You clearly don't understand the gist of my post. No wonder you get hot under the collar and the gall to ask me not to post. Who the hell you are, Mr. John?

Nattawut is one of those guys the PTP is better without including Chalerm as thry are both a big liability.

The PTP needs to reinvent themselves with the man in Dubai.

No, the UDD needs to get its own party that's not connected to Thaksin's money. You know, grass roots people who want democracy and not dictatorship.

I actually agree with Nattawut. Abhisit should leave. He won't be able to reconcile this country.

We need new and sincere politicians who are not linked to the dominant power groups. Nattawut and his UDD bullies included.

Nattawut is one of those guys the PTP is better without including Chalerm as thry are both a big liability.

No, the UDD needs to get its own party that's not connected to Thaksin's money. You know, grass roots people who want democracy and not dictatorship.

Agree with you that a Thaksin connected party will only meant another coup. The Shin must never ever be allowed to be in any future government. Only problem is that what you and me wished but can't said for the populace. The trials, perceived unfair dispensation of justice and the continous blame game played by the government will only gain the Shins sympathy and portrayed as victims and close their ranks of the Reds.

By the way, forget about dictorship. It can never happen in Thailand with 2 revered institutions to account for. In fact, if dictorship ever happened, it will be from the military and not from the civilian side.

Obviously Nattawut has the best interest of Abhisit in mind and wants to spare him further disappointments. It's almost an advise a Dutch uncle could have made rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

PTP is owned by Thaksin. He pays electorate MPs to be members of his party, and uses their votes to appoint his cronies and criminal lackeys to parliament via the party list. They then vote to his orders even when there are massive conflicts of interest (this is political corruption) and refuse to acknowledge criminality, negligence and sheer stupidity of party members raised by the opposition. As a convicted fugitive criminal, he is allowed to access cabinet meetings, direct policy and use insider knowledge to enrich himself. He directs the party to enact amnesty legislation which is a direct benefit to himself, and to do so outside parliamentary rules, despite this being hugely unpopular and comprehensively rejected by the senate.

How much reinvention is necessary before this begins to look like something you would find in a democracy?

As always, consider the source.

Technically, Abhisit is the SOURCE. Nattawut is just AGREEING with Abhisit.

Abhisit doesn't have the political nerve to think politically outside of his minority party prinicples to attract more liberal and disadvantaged Thai voters. As his former deputy PM Suthep said during his PDRC-led anti-government protests, he doesn't do coalition governments. So long as Abhisit is unable to liberalize and broaden his political platform to attract more voters to broaden his party's political platform, he might as well quit.

No need to worry about Abihist. Suthep the Phony Monk is leaving the monkhood to rejoin politics. General will step down and Suthep will become the new NON elected PM.

What a wonderful piece of information. Just what I wanted to hear.

Now to really make my day would you please put in the links to where this can be found so that all of us can share in this knowledge.

After all I am sure you have them or perhaps you have a new and as yet untapped source to Phra Suthep, the government and the PM.

If of course you have just invented this or learnt it from the guy on the next barstool to you I may suspect you of stretching your imagination or possibly doing a little trolling.

Edited by billd766

When will this terrorists final appeal be heard in court?

Abhisit ? I hope soon ...

I thought it was Nattawut who told people to burn down Thailand. Luckily his gang of terrorists were successfully stopped when 20+ buildings were already set on fire.

No need to worry about Abihist. Suthep the Phony Monk is leaving the monkhood to rejoin politics. General will step down and Suthep will become the new NON elected PM.

What a wonderful piece of information. Just what I wanted to hear.

Now to really make my day would you please put in the links to where this can be found so that all of us can share in this knowledge.

After all I am sure you have them or perhaps you have a new and as yet untapped source to Phra Suthep, the government and the PM.

If of course you have just invented this or learnt it from the guy on the next barstool to you I may suspect you of stretching your imagination or possibly doing a little trolling.

Yep - with 2 posts up already, fair bet it's someone in disguise / banned / resurrected .