what could Thailand improve for the Foreigners living/visiting Thailand ?

wowfactor10

Because Europe/US have had far long to DEVELOP economically and socially.

95% of their populations are fed, have shelter and access to medical care. These countries can afford to indulge the whims of bride-shoppers by granting their spouses the things you mentioned.

Thailand still has huge swathes of its population living below the poverty line.

Thailand has a duty to further the interests of its own people -first & foremost - before accommodating whinging expats like wowfactor10 who think their chump change entitles them to privileges.

Expats/Retirees - NOT TOURISTS - seriously over-estimate the importance of their relatively modest income to the Thai economy.

Mate :

Please spare me your excuses of Thailand its suddenly a third world country jada jada..last time all of you Thailand believers told me Thailand was a middle income country so what is it now? Giving us equal rights its not involved with money its simply not their intentions.

Foreigners need to remember that they get very poorly treated here by the Thai Governement.

A Thai marries a European can become a full citizen in Europe.

A European marries a Thai remains a Alien in Thailand !

Thats how u get served over here.

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you're a troll.

I see no point in continuing this discourse but, in your case, I derive a little pleasure hoping that, as you will never get what you want from Thailand, you'll do yourself and everyone else a favour and head home where you can get all the privileges and benefits you can't get here.

Agree. Guys like wowfactor who chooses to live in Thailand but now feels like an oppressed Rohingya should just scurry on back home. That really is his ONLY option. Because Thailand will never, ever get on its knees to kiss his big pale behind like he demands. Will never happen. Leave Thailand to those of us who can handle it.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. Guys like wowfactor who chooses to live in Thailand but now feels like an oppressed Rohingya should just scurry on back home. That really is his ONLY option. Because Thailand will never, ever get on its knees to kiss his big pale behind like he demands. Will never happen. Leave Thailand to those of us who can handle it.

I'm not sure I would equate asking a country to grant me basic human rights as 'kissing my big pale behind'

(in this case the right to live and work in the country of my spouse and children).

Mind you, the UK isn't much better (costs loads), but strangely, the rest of Europe no problem (not even a VISA fee).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Because Europe/US have had far long to DEVELOP economically and socially.

95% of their populations are fed, have shelter and access to medical care. These countries can afford to indulge the whims of bride-shoppers by granting their spouses the things you mentioned.

Thailand still has huge swathes of its population living below the poverty line.

Thailand has a duty to further the interests of its own people -first & foremost - before accommodating whinging expats like wowfactor10 who think their chump change entitles them to privileges.

Expats/Retirees - NOT TOURISTS - seriously over-estimate the importance of their relatively modest income to the Thai economy.

Mate :

Please spare me your excuses of Thailand its suddenly a third world country jada jada..last time all of you Thailand believers told me Thailand was a middle income country so what is it now? Giving us equal rights its not involved with money its simply not their intentions.

Foreigners need to remember that they get very poorly treated here by the Thai Governement.

A Thai marries a European can become a full citizen in Europe.

A European marries a Thai remains a Alien in Thailand !

Thats how u get served over here.

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you're a troll.

I see no point in continuing this discourse but, in your case, I derive a little pleasure hoping that, as you will never get what you want from Thailand, you'll do yourself and everyone else a favour and head home where you can get all the privileges and benefits you can't get here.

I will only select Countries as a residence where the majority rules.Since that is not the case in Thailand there for i wont even bother with that place.(just one of my reasons)

I'm not sure I would equate asking a country to grant me basic human rights as 'kissing my big pale behind'

(in this case the right to live and work in the country of my spouse and children).

You've GOT basic human rights, mate.

Last time I checked, those didn't include being allowed to buy a plot of land and stay in the country indefinitely without notifying the authorities of your whereabouts.

Just because you came here, married a local woman and had children with her doesn't make the state party to your union nor does it mean the state owes you a free pass.

If right of abode and employment is so important to you, take your family back to your country

Its the Cypress (down) hill and his Go home brigade buddies again.

Its weird cause while we are simply pointing out with proven facts that the Thai government are simply setting unfair rules/regulations and giving really limited basic rights here for foreigners.(poorly treatment)

Then Cypress down hill and his budies start to applaud and cheer for Thailand for being so inhuman towards their foreigners..??Why?

Thailand need to take in consideration how well their thais are treated in abroad especially if married with farangs.

What is the advantage to applaud for Thailand and its poorly foreigner treatment policies...

Why u defend a system that treat us including your self unfairly..?

How you think your naive attitude will ever accomplish any change for the better?

Just because you came here, married a local woman and had children with her doesn't make the state party to your union nor does it mean the state owes you a free pass.

According to the court of human rights, it does.

Then Cypress down hill and his budies start to applaud and cheer for Thailand for being so inhuman towards their foreigners..??Why?

Thailand need to take in consideration how well their thais are treated in abroad especially if married with farangs.

I suspect it's because they don't intend to ever get married or have children.

If they can't have it, nor should we ..... sort of thing.

I suspect it's because they don't intend to ever get married or have children.

If they can't have it, nor should we ..... sort of thing.

Nope but if I WAS going to get married and have kids in Thailand, I'd certainly take a look at the rules governing my stay and my rights here instead of thinking with my nuts, knocking up a local bint and then bitching about the inconvenience of it all on an internet forum afterwards. Why should Thailand change to accommodate the latest of your life decision cock ups?

According to the court of human rights, it does.

Which court of human rights? The one in your shed?

Edited by Cypress Hill

Its clear most of these rude mouthed folks from the you better go home brigade are most likely not even living in Thailand.

Thats why they do not care to have anything improved for foreigners in Thailand.

Perhaps they are associates from the website owners who need to defend Thailand system as that their Thai website is their source of income.

For me it is very important to feel safe. I should not be scare of what happen if I have accident with a Thai people. I want to feel safe that the police is fare in all the problems that may occur. Police should be more willing to stop all the crimes against foreigners by bars, gogo bars, lady boys etc. We should feel that we are treated the same as Thai people.

Its weird cause while we are simply pointing out with proven facts that the Thai government are simply setting unfair rules/regulations and giving really limited basic rights here for foreigners.(poorly treatment)

What is the advantage to applaud for Thailand and its poorly foreigner treatment policies...

How you think your naive attitude will ever accomplish any change for the better?

So why is it that most foreigners living in Thailand don't feel your level of animosity? Is it perhaps that we understand that foreigners in ANY country can never expect to have the same rights as citizens? From that respect, foreigners get treated better in Thailand than most western countries. I say that as an American. If I didn't believe that, I would not be in Thailand. Most of us have a pretty good idea the restrictions we face even before coming to Thailand. And honestly, it's much better than I expected. Perhaps you should have done your homework before coming.

If an expat chooses to neglect his health, that's up to him.

It don't matter how healthy you are or how much care you take, everyone is vulnerable to accidents.

Since when is an accident a pre-existing condition?

Since when are all pre-existing conditions caused by neglecting one's health.

Mind you, the UK isn't much better (costs loads), but strangely, the rest of Europe no problem (not even a VISA fee).

Geez, man, quit the absurd hyperbole already. Are you saying that you do not have basic human rights in Thailand? The stupidity of that statement boggles the mind. But honestly, if I felt that my human rights were being violated on a daily basis, I'd be on a plane like yesterday. If you feel that way, why in freaks name are you still in Thailand?

Its clear most of these rude mouthed folks from the you better go home brigade are most likely not even living in Thailand.

Thats why they do not care to have anything improved for foreigners in Thailand.

Perhaps they are associates from the website owners who need to defend Thailand system as that their Thai website is their source of income.

No that's not it at all.

I live in Asoke in Bangkok. I have to observe the law, the rules governing immigration same as you but, strangely, I've managed to enjoy my 7 years+ living here IMMENSELY without:

1. The right to own/buy up land from under the locals' noses

2. A red carpet from the airport to my condo

3. An automatic 5 year visa on arrival and an option to work in any field I bloody well like just because I CHOSE to knock up a Thai bint

4. Heavily-subsidised health/medical care paid for by the Thai taxpayer and healthy farangs because I can't be bothered to take care of myself or inherited a condition

5. A government-sponsored hotline number stamped on every street food stall and taxi in case dopey farang doesn't know the price of a bowl of chicken noodle soup or how to get the driver to use the meter

Maybe I just know I've no right to expect the same rights as locals in a DEVELOPING country.

If an expat chooses to neglect his health, that's up to him.

It don't matter how healthy you are or how much care you take, everyone is vulnerable to accidents.

Since when is an accident a pre-existing condition?

Since when are all pre-existing conditions caused by neglecting one's health.

They're not but if I had one that was going to be prohibitively expensive to treat and I couldn't or didn't want to pay, I'd STAY HOME where I could avail myself of health and medical care free or at least cheap at the point of delivery.

If someone's here with a pre-existing condition he can't get insured for, clearly there's something here he values more than access to inexpensive treatment so why not make his peace with what he's chosen to prioritise and quit whining?

So why is it that most foreigners living in Thailand don't feel your level of animosity? Is it perhaps that we understand that foreigners in ANY country can never expect to have the same rights as citizens? From that respect, foreigners get treated better in Thailand than most western countries. I say that as an American. If I didn't believe that, I would not be in Thailand. Most of us have a pretty good idea the restrictions we face even before coming to Thailand. And honestly, it's much better than I expected. Perhaps you should have done your homework before coming.

Depends who you are asking..I assume most with negative experiences have moved out already..Foreigners who came here expected a country with equal laws/system for all people living in it. Just like in their home country however then they found out that is not the case here in Thailand.

What number of people got scammed out of their cars,houses,land plots and businesses ? Treated unfair by police and or unfair in their court cases? work permit issues.they have all left so how can you ask them anything ? jet ski scams,karaoke joint scams,getting rob / attacked in the streets by strangers.Ask those people about their level of satisfaction.

Foreigners who came here expected a country with equal laws/system for all people living in it. Just like in their home country however then they found out that is not the case here in Thailand..

No they didn't.

And if they did and they didn't like it, the airport hasn't moved.

Geez, man, quit the absurd hyperbole already. Are you saying that you do not have basic human rights in Thailand? The stupidity of that statement boggles the mind. But honestly, if I felt that my human rights were being violated on a daily basis, I'd be on a plane like yesterday. If you feel that way, why in freaks name are you still in Thailand?

Because I'm sending a teen Thai girl through high school, she's been living with me the last 4 years after her family abandoned her.

She isn't 'officially' part of my immediate family, so isn't covered by the EEC right to live, work and travel in the EEC with me.

Never really staying in Thailand forever, too unstable, too foreigner unfriendly, education system too poor.

Was just going to stay until the teen was in university (2-3 years, wife is also a uni student), then move to an EEC country.

It's not somewhere I would want my son brought up. He deserves his chance in the west.

I'm thinking about relocating to Spain with my Thai wife and Thai/British son.

As we have full rights to live, work and own property there (and I already speak Spanish).

Free EHIC health care too.

But if you think I should just leave now and dump the teen, let me know.

I have been considering doing that, just need a bit of a push.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Because I'm sending a teen Thai girl through high school, she's been living with me the last 4 years after her family abandoned her.

She isn't 'officially' part of my immediate family, so isn't covered by the EEC right to live, work and travel in the EEC with me.

As we have full rights to live, work and own property there (and I already speak Spanish).

OK well MAKE her officially part of your family via adoption then you can go.

What difference would the right to own land make to your situation?

What difference would the right to work make to you?

You're bloody 60+ years old, retired and receiving a pension.

YOU made the choice to marry and breed at your age so why should Thailand bend to accommodate you?

Be thankful you at least have the option to leave or stay . . . you slag off the cradle of your birth with alarming regularity but that British passport is still pulling for you even when you probably don't deserve it

I think if they improved things for Thais they would improve for us. Starting with Laws that are enforced properly

Yes, any government's priorities should be aimed at their own people first. Despite what the perpetual whiners go on about. life here for farang is already far more comfortable than it is for a lot of nationals. And most of those farang who seem so miserable here would probably be worse off if they stayed in the countries from which they fled.

No farang government spends a great deal of time worrying about accommodating foreigners. If anything their interest in foreigners is concerned with keeping them out unless they're bringing money and/or needed skills.

Maybe if farang governments worked on improving life back in Farang Utopia there wouldn't be so many unemployable, unqualified, economic refugees here.

I'm not so sure about that.

I think that the UK gov has encouraged immigration because they needed their votes to stay in power!

It might well have been the wrong thing to do but they sure took care of the immigrants more than their own people. Ex soldiers are getting shafted, no housing, but not so for immigrants! Just to mention one thing.

The first thing that Thailand should do is make entry visas, retirement visas, tourists visas more strict and careful vetting to ensure that only quality foreigners are allowed here so that it safe not only fro thais but other foreigners and expats here. Enough of the lower educated, poorer tourists, retiree etc with hooligan and perverted or criminal behaviours.

The first thing that Thailand should do is make entry visas, retirement visas, tourists visas more strict and careful vetting to ensure that only quality foreigners are allowed here so that it safe not only fro thais but other foreigners and expats here. Enough of the lower educated, poorer tourists, retiree etc with hooligan and perverted or criminal behaviours.

So what makes you believe that you are qualified as a quality foreigner that we want here?

Not in any order...

Solid health insurance plan

Ability to buy private residence

Purchase private residence, funds abroad. Wife can make no claim.

Married persons with univ degrees from proper universities and standard majors - regardless of which O status (married or retired), allowed to teach convo English for hourly wages. Waivers, contracts uneccessary. Five year independent wp. Ability to change schools at will. Single subject, endless waiver but allowed to teach (math, sci, soc studies...). Any teaching lic aquired at any time from home country = Thai license to 65 yrs old.

Married persons given perm residency after five years or if wife has multi year visa to western country. Path for citizenship if married eight years and can speak conversational Thai and pass test in culture and history.

School Immigration officials in their jobs. Insist they are consistent and not capricious. See they keep abreast of all changes. Pay reasonably and disallow ANY gifting.

Remove all Immigration officers that have harsh, unpleasant, unThai disposition and demeanor. Officers have simple ID number, can complain in box.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

In order to qualify for health insurance perfectly ok to require no pre existing conditions, no drugs or alcoholism, no smoking, no hiv coverage. Proper BMI!!

Many of you have no business on s cheap Thai insurance plan and that's ehy they don't exist in private sector.

Never really staying in Thailand forever, too unstable, too foreigner unfriendly, education system too poor.

Was just going to stay until the teen was in university (2-3 years, wife is also a uni student), then move to an EEC country.

It's not somewhere I would want my son brought up. He deserves his chance in the west.

What on Earth are you talking about? This thread is about farangs in Thailand. Again, are you saying that you don't have basic human rights in Thailand because you're a farang? Nevermind, you don't want to answer. On another topic, you have a teen Thai girl living with you for 4 years?? Man, there is something wrong with this picture.....

I think if they improved things for Thais they would improve for us. Starting with Laws that are enforced properly

Law enforcement and nothing else would raise the quality of life for everyone, not just foreigners.

Where do you all stand on enforcing laws against prostitution? whistling.gif

They should enforce the laws that they have , Just shows how much this is a lawless country by the blatant nature of the Go Go and girly bars, But it is the same with most laws here

There is nothing illegal about Gogo and girly bars.

I presume you campaign against strip clubs and prostitution in your own country as well.

BTW many western countries have legal prostitution- perhaps it is time for Thailand to join them.

It's amazing how many farangs expect Thailand to accomodate them because they CHOSE to marry and reproduce in Thailand, when they KNEW the rules before doing so.