Surrogate baby's Aussie father accused of charity cash grab

webfact

Surrogate baby's Aussie father accused of charity cash grab
AFP

BANGKOK: -- The Australian biological father of a Thai-born Down syndrome baby who sparked a global debate over surrogacy was Tuesday accused of trying to access money donated to help the boy.

David Farnell, a convicted sex offender, and his wife Wendy Li made international headlines last year when they were accused of abandoning baby Gammy in Thailand with his surrogate mother because of his condition.

They took his healthy twin sister Pipah back to their Perth home.

The scandal led to an outpouring of support for Gammy, with more than Aus$235,000 (US$187,000) donated from well-wishers worldwide.

Gammy lives with his Thai surrogate mother Pattaramon Chanbua outside Bangkok and the charity Hands Across the Water, which handles the donated money, said Farnell was trying to access it.

"Hands Across the Water was made aware several weeks ago that the Farnells were taking action in relation to accessing the Baby Gammy Special Appeal Fund," the group's founder and chairman Peter Baines said in a statement.

"We have no information as to the justification the Farnells, or their legal team, are making to support the application for access to the funds."

He added that the charity would do all it could to defend the action "to ensure the money donated remains for the care of baby Gammy, which we believe was the intent of those who so generously donated the funds".

In an interview with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Pattaramon, who was paid to carry the twins, said she was shocked by the attempt to access the money.

"He does not deserve or have any rights to the fund as he abandoned Gammy in the first place," she said.

"People donated money for Gammy and not for anyone else. Even though I am Gammy's mother, I don't have any right to take it. I want to ask him: 'Who do you think you are? What made you think you have the right to take it?'"

The Farnell's were not available for comment.

They previously denied abandoning the boy, claiming they had wanted to bring him home and left Thailand fearing the surrogate mother would also seize their daughter.

Since the scandal erupted, Gammy, who turned one in December and has been granted Australian citizenship, has moved into a new home in Chonburi province about 90 kilometres (55 miles) southeast of Bangkok, using money donated by Hands Across the Water.

The charity also makes monthly payments to cover his ongoing medical and welfare needs.

Commercial surrogacy is illegal in Australia, prompting growing numbers of infertile couples to head overseas to fulfil their dreams of having a family.

Debate over the legal and moral issues raised by Gammy saw Thailand pass a law this year banning foreign couples from using Thai women as surrogates.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-05-19

If these accusations prove true, this POS should be fed to the crocs. As far as I'm concerned, he should still be in jail for his previous convictions as a child molester and therefore never had the opportunity to bring this child into the world in the first place. I dread to think what might happen to the baby girl he brought home in a few years.

Cannot believe they let him adopt a child with his past history

This person is truely disgusting

These two children were not adopted. They were bred from his own seed.

I will make a list of why this POS needs the living shit kicked out of him (starting from the minor reasons to the major reasons):

1. His face

2. His crocodile tears when interviewed and asked why he ABANDONED his baby boy

3. The fact he abandoned his baby boy IMMEDIATELY after he found out he was disabled and left with the physically healthy baby girl

4. The reports that he is now trying to receive financial gain from his son's disability who he abandoned rather quickly

5. The fact that he is a convicted child molester

This individual is a pathological liar, manipulator, criminal (and now potential fraudster). He (at the very least) belongs behind bars. But he claimed he was reformed--compliments of the state and taxpayers.

There are absolutely no facts in this article, just a bunch of assumptions :

were taking action in relation to accessing the Baby Gammy Special Appeal Fund,

What kind of actions, Court filings or what. Doesn't the Gammy Special Appeal Fund have a bank account that limits who can access the money

So tired of always hearing half the story from AFP

BTW, go to the AFP web site and try and get the story directly there. No search terms I tried will work

Edited by Langsuan Man