Ousted Thai PM Yingluck proclaims innocence as criminal trial starts

webfact

Ousted Thai PM proclaims innocence as criminal trial starts
AFP

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's ousted prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra insisted on her innocence Tuesday at the start of a trial that could see her jailed for a decade, part of what observers say is a vendetta against her family.

It is the latest legal move against Yingluck -- sister of fugitive billionaire ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra -- whose administration was toppled in a military coup nearly a year ago.

A guilty conviction could deliver a hammer blow to the political dominance of her family, but it also risks stirring up their grassroots "Red Shirt" supporters who have remained largely inactive since the military took over.

Around 50 supporters gathered outside Thailand's Supreme Court on the northern outskirts of Bangkok including more than a dozen members of Yingluck's Pheu Thai Party, a highly unusual sight in a country where political gatherings of more than five people remain banned by the junta.

Many burst into applause and shouts of "Yingluck, fight, fight!" when her convoy pulled up outside the courthouse for the trial, which is expected to last months.

"I am confident that I am innocent and I hope the court will give me justice and allow everything to proceed in accordance with the law," Yingluck told reporters.

The ousted premier is accused of criminal negligence over a populist rice subsidy scheme, which paid farmers in the rural Shinawatra heartland twice the market rate for their crop.

She is not accused of personal corruption but of failing to prevent alleged graft within the programme, which cost Thailand billions of dollars and galvanised protests against her elected government prior to last May's coup. The charge carries up to 10 years in jail.

During the brief hearing, Yingluck spoke only to plead not guilty. The court granted bail on condition that she not leave Thailand without written permission, and the next hearing was scheduled for July 21.

- 'Hawks want her punished' -

Thailand's military-appointed parliament impeached Yingluck in January over the scheme, a move which banned her from politics for five years.

"I believe a hawkish faction in the old powers... wants to punish the Shinawatras as much as they can," Puangthong Pawakapan, a Thai politics expert at Chulalongkorn University, told AFP.

"But keeping her in prison will definitely anger the Red Shirts even more," she added.

Other analysts say the mere threat of jail may be used to discourage the Shinawatras from re-engaging in politics.

Yingluck herself has said the rice scheme "lifted the quality of life for rice farmers" in the poor northeast of a country where subsidies to farmers have long been a cornerstone of Thai politics.

The army takeover last year was the latest twist in a decade of political turbulence that broadly pits a Bangkok-based elite, backed by parts of the military and judiciary, against poor urban and rural voters, particularly in the country's north, who are fiercely loyal to the Shinawatras.

Thaksin was himself toppled by a previous coup in 2006 and now lives in self-exile to avoid jail on a corruption charge.

The Shinawatras, or parties allied to them, have won every Thai election since 2001.

But their opponents accuse them of cronyism, corruption and financially ruinous populist policies.

As a result, the Shinawatra family have faced two coups and the removal of three of their premiers by the Thai courts, while several deadly rounds of protest have rocked Bangkok and weighed on the Thai economy.

Former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, brother-in-law to Yingluck and Thaksin, is also facing criminal charges over a crackdown against anti-Shinawatra protesters in 2008.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-05-19

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Security tightened at Supreme Court as Yingluck appears to stand trial

5-19-2015-9-20-12-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Security was tightened at the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders as ex-Premier Yingluck Shinawatra arrived to stand trial in the case which she was accused of dereliction of duties in implementing the controversial rice-pledging scheme that inflicted over 500 billion loss to the state.

It is her first trial after she was earlier impeached by the National Legislative Assembly for the accusations brought against her by the National Anti Corruption Commission.

Anti-riot police joined local police to keep security checks in and around the compound of the Supreme Court as security officials fear supporters of the former premier might gather to give her morale support.

However only army of local and foreign journalists gathered in front of the court to cover the historic court trial.

Yingluck told reporters briefly before entering the court room that she arrived today to defend herself under the justice process.

She insisted with confidence of her innocence and asked for cooperation from journalists not to make any comment as it is still in court process.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/security-tightened-at-supreme-court-as-yingluck-appears-to-stand-trial

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-19

"She is not accused of personal corruption but of failing to prevent alleged graft within the programme...

Is there any PM in Thailand's history that governed over a graft free government? If not, couldn't they all be convicted of negligence, including you know who?

Again AFP comes up with a way less than balanced article containing factual errors.

"....I believe a hawkish faction in the old powers... wants to punish the Shinawatras as much as they can," Puangthong Pawakapan, a Thai politics expert at Chulalongkorn University, told AFP."

Take a look at the professor's profile - AFP sure picks it's commentators.

Edited by scorecard

Again AFP comes up with a way less than balanced article.

"....I believe a hawkish faction in the old powers... wants to punish the Shinawatras as much as they can," Puangthong Pawakapan, a Thai politics expert at Chulalongkorn University, told AFP."

Don't blame AFP...perhaps only those wearing red eyeglasses would work with them.

Yingluck is not allowed to go abroad

19-5-2558-11-44-33-wpcf_728x401.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders today prohibited former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra from traveling on overseas trips unless permission is sought, and must appear at all session of the court trial.

The court’s order came after she appeared at the first trial of the case which she was accused by the Office of the Attorney-General of dereliction of duties regarding the rice-pledging scheme which was accused of inflicting over 500 billion baht loss to the state.

In the trial today, the nine-member panel of supreme court judges first read the case file originally brought against her by the National Anti-Corruption Commission at her presence and after the reading, asked whether she would accept or deny the charges.

However Ms Yingluck denied all charges and told the Supreme Court that she will present her defence in written statement to the court on July 3.

The court panel then set July 21 and July 28 at 9.30 am to hear the testimonies of both the state attorney and the defendant.

The court also ordered that Ms Yingluck must appear at all the court trial sessions.

However in case she cannot appear in any session, she must produce reason on a case by case basis for permission.

In case of seeking temporary release on bail, the court said that she will be granted bail but under condition that she must not travel on overseas trip unless permission is given by the court.

The court then set the next trial to hear testimonies by the two parties on July 21 and July 28 at 9.30 am.

Ms Yingluck arrived at the court at 9.00 am under tight security at the court.

She was accompanied by her team of lawyers and some senior executives of her Pheu Thai party.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yingluck-is-not-allowed-to-go-abroad

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-19

when people say they hope they get proper justice it means they hope the govt overlooks their wrongdoings and lets them go scot free. Thai people r innocent across the board. 13 yrs in thailand taught me that.

Yingluck herself has said the rice scheme "lifted the quality of life for rice farmers"

Tell that to the families of farmers who went bankrupt and killed themselves months after you failed to deliver payment as promised. Most of them only got paid after you were thrown out of office.

Again AFP comes up with a way less than balanced article containing factual errors.

They're making me wish they would go back to 'Stick Man' as a news source. At least he wasn't a propaganda machine.

Again AFP comes up with a way less than balanced article.

Don't blame AFP...perhaps only those wearing red eyeglasses would work with them.

AFP,Reuters or AP do the right job:to give comments and opinions of all sides!

If you are ever going to get people to reject corruption you need to make strong examples. She is guilty on so many counts that she would be a most appropriate starting point, but only of you are seriously trying to eliminate corruption in Thailand as a way of life

Send a message that can not be misinterpreted. Seize her assets and jail her

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders today prohibited former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra from traveling on overseas trips unless permission is sought, and must appear at all session of the court trial.

I think she will not have anytime for shopping in luxury shopping mall int the next few years......

This "trial", a word suggesting an actual justice system, is one more indication it is July 13, 1789 in the LOS -- and the ruling class, once again, is clueless. The future is Yingluck's, a fact that drives many a fascist Thai and fascist falang bonkers.

The manifest and uninformed ( read ignorant ) hatred displayed on here is both appalling and pathetic.

Thaivisa at it's best.

"She is not accused of personal corruption but of failing to prevent alleged graft within the programme..."

Alleged to be alleged and the nutters on here want a "fixed " conviction ( it can hardly be impartial) that will enrage half the electorate.

You people should be careful what you wish for.

AFP consistently brings up the threat of further mass political violence if ANY red is prosecuted. Having just come back from a week in the far NE, I call it BS. The general tone. when I tried to raise politics in discussion, was abject apathy. People were well aware that there were huge losses in the rice scam and the G2G rip-off, and they know full well where the money didn't go.

Yingluk will try to say "I did it for my poor supporters" and it will go down like a lead balloon.

BTW must have been in at least 12 homes up there. Not one picture of Thaksin or "the people's darling" to be seen.

Edited by halloween

All this talk of mass red-shirts protests and threats of civil war is nonsense.

The only way anything will happen is if Thaksin sends funds to the UDD to pay some thugs to go out and murder a few more civilians with M79's. Then he will also need to pony up for some more free parties and coach trips to get some crowds out for 'protests'. No chance now they don't have the police and Chalerm to protect them.

There is no way that 'normal' red-shirts will go out and protest at their own expense because of their strong feelings and ethics like we saw after the amnesty disgrace. What's in it for them ?.

It is a little prepubescent to make fun of the Asian difficulty with English at times.

It does not matter if you are Japanese,Mexican or Taiwanese. Someone who rightfully holds a Masters Degree in English should do better.

Thank you three times.

The English-language Masters Degree holder says,

" I feeling confident to present "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48OTef7QK-A

Despite the obvious fact that you are a nit picker extraordinaire to even consider such a ridiculous posting ... (You must not know much about Thai Politics if that is your best shot...) It is a little prepubescent to make fun of the Asian difficulty with English at times.

I am confident your use of Thai language is at a level where Thais are in awe of your mastery of even the most subtle and complex tonal combinations .. that leave most Foreigners tongue tied. It must be nice to make fun of a person who is highly proficient in several difficult languages. Just for the record, how many languages are you at the master's level in? Is Thia one of them. (Don't BS us, we all know the answer, and you know what .. lots of Foreigners claim to speak Thai "really well" .. you know who does not agree with that assessment? Thai People !! May we please call them the subject matter experts in this case?. ( I actually expect a TV poster to challenge even that)

I go out with them ,and they try to order food, get directions, basically show off ... etc .. and all they ever get is a long "what the F are you talking about" stare. Then they have the balls to get indignant and say (swear to god) "What is THEIR problem, I am speaking Thai"

To which I say ... ummm .. sorry .. if you were speaking Thai .. Thai People would understand you!

Do i speak Thai .. very very very little, but the little I know, Thai people say ... is really quite good. But I stop it there. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Sorry to go off track there .. OK .. back to "Mr Linguist" and his anal retentive critique of the former PM.

... it would be nice if you were at least accurate.

Although it is difficult to hear clearly over all that background noise, it seems she says

"Yes, I feel confident to present, and hope everything follows the due process. Thank You"

I am going to go out on a limb and guess .. that you .. have never spent much time in the Kingdom.

On the money, BE, but what I think FJ2 "missed" was the sound made by the " 'm, " which is not stressed under the best of circumstances, and was easily trampled by the combination of background noise and mediocre fidelity. I think you will likely concur if you give it another listen. The PM was apparently speaking in the present continuous. Regardless, they who are hellbent at "piling-on," will of course be prone to selective deafness regarding many aspects of this political/media circus. This instance, in the end, will be among the least noteworthy.

"She is not accused of personal corruption but of failing to prevent alleged graft within the programme...

Is there any PM in Thailand's history that governed over a graft free government? If not, couldn't they all be convicted of negligence, including you know who?

Starting with Prayuth for the corruption fiasco at the Sports and Tourism Ministry of which the state lost up to 3.1 billion Baht. Lets move on to the other ministries such as Thai Airways which has been run to the grounds by Air Force Generals for the past 4 years.

This whole court fiasco is political motivated and if they jail her for not preventing graft they should put i jail Prayuth as well for not preventing graft during his time as Head of the Army.