Speaker re-cone

Jaray

I need to get 6 x 5" speakers re-coned. Why not buy new ones? you ask - because the rear of the speakers (the magnets) are drilled and threaded to accept a bolt which holds them firmly in place on a bracket in my jukebox. I cannot buy new speakers with the backs like that!

Does anyone KNOW of an establishment in Chiangmai city that re-cones speakers? When I say KNOWS, I mean knows for sure 100%.

I have already tried 'Tiggersound' (on the corner down the road from Kasem Store) and they only want to sell me NEW ones! Duh! annoyed.gif

Thanks in advance for any helpful info. biggrin.png

If the speaker cone has come away from the rest of the speaker,

you may be able to fix it with a thin application of silicone sealer,

which is what i did with speaker on my tv,and it worked OK, could

be a fix for you if you cannot find anyone to repair it.

The Silicone sealer is strong,and also has some movement with it.

regards Worgeordie

There are a couple shops that sell used stereo & karaoke equipment on the outside north side of the moat... just past the turn for Chang Puak road you will see them on the left... Doubt anyone can re-cone... better to Macgyver it somehow as Worgeordie suggests

Havnt seen or heard of anyone 'reconing'speakers for decades. Replacing them yes done it myself to my old missions sounds fine and cheap enuf, reconing no . Anyway whats wrong with buying THE RIGHT replacements.

Havnt seen or heard of anyone 'reconing'speakers for decades. Replacing them yes done it myself to my old missions sounds fine and cheap enuf, reconing no . Anyway whats wrong with buying THE RIGHT replacements.

I am sure the OP would be happy to buy the RIGHT replacements, but this been Thailand

sometimes you just cannot find what you want.

regards worgeordie

You can get them re-coned in Bangkok. Almost anything is possible in Bangkok. Although I hate the city itself, it's an amazing place for finding obscure parts and getting things repaired that other countries quit repairing decades ago.

Re-cone in C.M.? I doubt it.

I wish I COULD buy 'the right replacements' but unfortunately they have not been manufactured for decades. These particular speakers were made in 1966 and it is surprising that they have lasted this long!

I thank you all for your suggestions, wai.gif but it seems like I must go searching the (speaker) shops myself. I was just hoping that someone may already have had something similar done in the past, which would have saved me some leg-work!

Second-hand ones DO appear on ebay, once in a blue moon, but they are usually in the U.S. and the postage costs from there to Thailand are extremely high, usually more expensive than the cost of the items themselves!

Not to worry though - I shall investigate a few of the speaker/repair shops myself - you never know, I may find somewhere that can help me. If no luck then perhaps I may try the silicone sealant route. thumbsup.gif

You can get them re-coned in Bangkok. Almost anything is possible in Bangkok. Although I hate the city itself, it's an amazing place for finding obscure parts and getting things repaired that other countries quit repairing decades ago.

Re-cone in C.M.? I doubt it.

True ! In the soi's at Ban Moh in Bangkok , there are places that re-cone speakers. It's impressive , but I have reservations about reproducibility of the original sound. For big cones resonance frequency ,frequency spectrum, audio properties , ...are going to change.