Wifi Advise Needed

csabo

I rent, get included wifi, router looks like a Linksys WRT54G. There is no password protection. Neighbors have told me they use my wifi free. I have logged into the router which is also unprotected and can access all the settings. The brand Billion is clearly labeled on the interface.

I am getting download speeds under 100 Mbps. Very slow and often none at all.

I have begged my landlord to put password protection on the wifi to cut the neighbors out to improve my speeds to no avail.

My questions are:

What are the residential internet provider options in Phuket specifically Naiharn/Rawai?

Does this or these provider/s provide free wifi routers?

It seems to me if free routers are available, my landlord could upgrade all the routers and add passwords at no cost and I would like to have the proper ammunition before talking to her again.

Thanks in advance for support.

post-200208-0-15222100-1432013292_thumb.

Edited by csabo

There are four total residences and one office. Only 2 of the residences are currently occupied. Each residence has the Linksys router. I believe there are some related electronics in the office but cannot confirm.

If you can login to the router you can change setting ur self

You took my bait. Now take it further. What setting? The password? If I add a password, will it be added to all the routers? If so, the other tenant will request the new password from the landlord which she will know nothing about leading to some investigation by her.

You took my bait. Now take it further. What setting? The password? If I add a password, will it be added to all the routers? If so, the other tenant will request the new password from the landlord which she will know nothing about leading to some investigation by her.

Just set the password (for the SSID) then it's her problem to investigate and fix if someone complains.

Tell her if she doesn't fix it, you are moving out.

Crossed my mind of course but if she calls my bluff (and it will be a bluff because I love my place) then I loose. I have alternative wifi in the form of a pocket router also. So why then do I care about the home wifi?? Because even when you have an "unlimited" plan on a pocket wifi, they throttle down your access after you go over a certain limit. I am a heavy video user and need high throughput to access a Slingbox overseas and download torrents. This is a little too much for the pocket router.

no, the password will only affect those connecting to the router in question.

however if the router is a Linksys WRT54G, then the admin interface would not say billion, it would say linksys.

is the cable going into the router ethernet or adsl? if it is going into an ehternet port the router in your place is likely just a repeater,

Edited by HooHaa

Just set the password (for the SSID) then it's her problem to investigate and fix if someone complains.

So then you tend to agree the speed is affected by the unprotected sharing? Also, when I log in, I see the Billion ASDL firewall settings, not my link sys router settings. Is it not possible to add a password to my router?

if you are certain that the lynksys is the one you are connecting to, try the ipconfig/all command at command prompt and mark down the ip address the wireless adapter is connecting to. usually 198.161.1.XX

that number is the ip address of the router you are connecting to and will give you access tho that routers admin page. after thsat rename the network and set password. if it is acting as a repeater, this will secure your wireless connection but will not affect bandwidth as the bandwith is coming from another, shared router.

Edited by HooHaa

no, the password will only affect those connecting to the router in question.

however if the router is a Linksys WRT54G, then the admin interface would not say billion, it would say linksys.

is the cable going into the router ethernet or adsl? if it is going into an ehternet port the router in your place is likely just a repeater,

YES, the interface should say Linksys! It doesn't though. Sadly the Linksys is actually mounted precariously outdoors, in a location that I cannot access. I can see the face or the router and can access the power supply but not see the cables in the rear. Considering this router is in the neighborhood of ten years old and mounted outside I was thinking a replacement of the hardware was the best way to go but I can't do that without the landlords knowledge. If I were to guess, there is a firewall in the office and each of the four routers are wired to that via conduits.

if you are certain that the lynksys is the one you are connecting to, try the ipconfig/all command at command prompt and mark down the ip address the wireless adapter is connecting to. usually 198.161.1.XX

that number is the ip address of the router you are connecting to and will give you access tho that routers admin page. after thsat rename the network and set password. if it is acting as a repeater, this will secure your wireless connection but will not affect bandwidth as the bandwith is coming from another, shared router.

Good info. I used ifconfig (MAC) and the only 2 IP's I see are as similar to what you said 198.161.1.xxx

Neither give me access to the Linksys router. This info was also in the Network Wifi setting on my mac, see below.

post-200208-0-98361200-1432022749_thumb.

Edited by csabo

3BB and True. Free wifi router included with 3BB ADSL but not in the VDSL package of 3BB, there you only get a router without wifi.

Frist step would be to find out if your apartment/house has it's own DSL connection or if it's shared between all. If it's not shared then just set a password yourself and be done with it.

3BB and True. Free wifi router included with 3BB ADSL but not in the VDSL package of 3BB, there you only get a router without wifi.

Frist step would be to find out if your apartment/house has it's own DSL connection or if it's shared between all. If it's not shared then just set a password yourself and be done with it.

I appreciate your input and while I am not completely ignorant about computer related issues this is a bit outside my area of expertise. If I could have just set a password for myself I obviously would have. Based on the information I have and have provided I would have to bow to someone else expertise to determine if I had a private DSL. I would think it does not appear that way. Thanks for your input.

I have begged my landlord to put password protection on the wifi to cut the neighbors out to improve my speeds to no avail.

Looks like your landlord is not technically savvy. I would think it's not a good idea to play about with the settings of a communal router. If other tenants complain and the landlord finds out it was you ....

I was thinking about saying you should have something like the AIS pocket wifi (I have one as a back-up) but you have that, and I appreciate what you say about throttling with the cheaper monthly plans.

What plan does you communal free router have - if you can access the router management system you should be able to see the download/upload line speeds (not the speed test number). If it's a cheaper package like a 6 or 10 megs then maybe you could pay the extra 400+ baht for you landlord to upgrade to 13 megs.

If you want your own personal system you would need to make a contract with 3BB or TOT (bad idea) to lay a land line into your apartment, again you need your landlords approval, and usually as a non Thai you have to pay a year's rental up front, but usually you get a free wifi router.

Best of luck.

There are four total residences and one office. Only 2 of the residences are currently occupied. Each residence has the Linksys router. I believe there are some related electronics in the office but cannot confirm.

This is confusing. Are you saying each apartment has it's own Linksys router. I think not, likely only one DSL line into the building. Perhaps there are 'access point' units in each apartment linked by LAN lines to the only one DSL router ..

As an alternative, can you not get your own connection instead of using a shared connection? Internet is pretty cheap these days.

Exactly - a 13 meg package with 3BB = 963 baht/month incl tax. As the OP is a heavy video user then go for the Fiber 30 Meg deal at 1,200 baht + tax. BUT - needs your landlords approval and a one year up front payment if non Thai and no Work Permit.

This is confusing. Are you saying each apartment has it's own Linksys router. I think not, likely only one DSL line into the building. Perhaps there are 'access point' units in each apartment linked by LAN lines to the only one DSL router ..

I think you are right, in this post and the previous one. I think there is a primary unit in the office and my bungalow has a wifi access point to expand the wireless signal throughout the complex. I was assuming the other units has a similar access point but we are bunched close enough together that we don't need that many, getting a provider out here and having people work in and around a residence that I don't own and could leave anytime I think is a bad idea and rude form. The wifi is slow. Too slow. It's her job not mine. I just really wanted to know what was available to me to "sell" her on doing something that we would both be happy with.

I see from the IP addresses that you cannot login 2 ur router..

Depending on where you live the cost of internet are between 500-- Thb up to ....whatever

If you owned the building and saw people running lines without your approval you would be pissed. And your first statement is not self explanatory. All routers can be logged into.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there are followers and there was a great deal of advise I thought it fair to update those concerned. After posting here, apparently my complaining to the LL worked. There were 2 wireless routers in two of the four units that were just wireless signal boosters. The management ran cat5 to both routers and my numbers are now 6-7Mbps. Basically doubled or quadrupled some days. She also put a password on much to the chagrin of the neighbors I assume. Thanks again for the contributions. wai.gif