Bangkok Girl: What really happened to Pla?

sly2kusa

I don't know that Pla was a sex worker, I certainly never saw evidence of that in all the years I knew her. But regardless, sex workers are people first and I think the point of the video was to highlight that point, in that respect I thought it was a good film.

• Like 2

Sorry having a computer problem and though I have my article I cannot copy and paste it, but I stand by my original statement that Jordan was messing naively in a world he knew little about and had his own agenda.

I do know that world, sorry I do and it is not what is portrayed. Could I make a documentary on Lao girls forced into prostitution in up country Thailand. Well I would too have an agenda, but I am Bangkok and do know the scene here and how it was in 2002.

No girl working in the bars of Bangkok, farang bars that is was forced to work there and are free agents.

Are you kidding me, very un-judgemental film, no opinions in there at all.

Not kidding, it is almost impossible to create any art without having a point of view; as I have and you have about this documentary.!

Question, why and how did he choose Pla?

Why the idiot learing supposed teacher.

Opinion and agenda that is why and that is not a crticism as such, just be aware.

I know plenty of hardened bar girls who would have rather spoilt his agenda!

Why don't you go make a documentary on that then?

Being able to find a hardened bargirl does not discount from pla's story or make the doc somehow untrue. Take it for what it is without putting your own judgement on it.

She found a german husband, that's depressing. Hope he don't make their family eat blockworst every night.

Edited by fey

I watched the Documentary too, found it sad, but interesting, not sure if I believed it all.

Saw another one similar about young boys doing the same, doing tricks for money etc etc, and I don't mean Circus Tricks...

Most of,them were street kids, so so sad,

But like an earlier post said, this happens worldwide, not just here....

• Like 1

Sappy nonsense. I lived that life for 10 years , and what this documentary fails to address

is how hard some of these girls are. The ones being exploited are the farangs. If this guy

really wanted to do a documentary on exploited girls, he should have done one on the

Laos girls who are basically enslaved in karaoke bars all over Thailand. Funny part

in the video when he say he is worried when she is gone for two days..... I deduced in

1 second she was off with a customer.

I totally agree.

Most of these girls are institutionalised within the Thai sex industry and can become so mentally damaged that there are no ways to coax them away from it.

Sex workers in Thailand are mostly in it voluntary and their living and working conditions are fairly good in comparison to their counterparts in other third world countries, although it`s probably the one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, exposed to diseases, possible violence and abuse.

I often wonder what happens to these women once they get passed their prime, 40s, 50s, 60s and older? they become quite desperate I would think.

They marry foreigners in their 60's 70's 80's etc

• Like 2

Sappy nonsense. I lived that life for 10 years , and what this documentary fails to address

is how hard some of these girls are. The ones being exploited are the farangs. If this guy

really wanted to do a documentary on exploited girls, he should have done one on the

Laos girls who are basically enslaved in karaoke bars all over Thailand. Funny part

in the video when he say he is worried when she is gone for two days..... I deduced in

I totally agree.

Most of these girls are institutionalised within the Thai sex industry and can become so mentally damaged that there are no ways to coax them away from it.

Sex workers in Thailand are mostly in it voluntary and their living and working conditions are fairly good in comparison to their counterparts in other third world countries, although it`s probably the one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, exposed to diseases, possible violence and abuse.

I often wonder what happens to these women once they get passed their prime, 40s, 50s, 60s and older? they become quite desperate I would think.

Or open a noodle stand...

• Like 1

I totally agree.

Or open a noodle stand...

For what I have witnessed, most end up as bar hags in the Loi Kroh Road or massage parlours of Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I totally agree.

I asked a bar girl once if she liked old farang or young farang.

She told me that the old farang was better, because if they

married the old farang would die soon. Also she did not like

young men because they wanted " boom boom too much ."

You have to admire the logic......

• Like 2

Its obvious they like old faring. They want money & possessions, they want it now, they don't want boom boom, they're basically lazy, if they can scam money & possessions with the boom boom then that's what they'll do.

Obvious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I totally agree.

I asked a bar girl once if she liked old farang or young farang.

She told me that the old farang was better, because if they

married the old farang would die soon. Also she did not like

young men because they wanted " boom boom too much ."

You have to admire the logic......

To Sly, as you can deduce I am a writer of sorts and quite well known in Bangkok; no not Stickman.

I thank the moderators for not intervening and I have tried to be careful in my replies/ comments.

If you truly want to know more about a certain area of Thai life, then this is not the forum to discuss it. I am very willing to give the lowdown, but not here.

We all have different perspectives of the joys of Thailand's nightlife. I suppose if one is at the hospital which deals with the resulting HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes and assorted STIs, one looks at these people as disease vectors and reservoirs.

• Like 1

What's obvious is that you know very little about the culture here, we hope you come to understand it better soon, for your sake.

Who me?

I know about proper Thai culture & respect.

Bar girls & whores do act with the same values as respectable ladies.

Ask a farangs wife who wasn't a bar girl what she honestly thinks. If she's honest she'll tell you she wants nothing to do with the ex hooker.

The ladies need money, they choose boom boom. Not an easy decision but that's life.

So, don't call me out until you know me. Happily married to a Thai non hooker for 20+ years.

I am really disappointed with you guys!!

So bad at connecting the dots............................

Of course Pla met (what happened to) Tony, and lived happily ever after............

• Like 2

My wifes contention is they could work if they wanted to , just too lazy , she isnt real keen on the payme salary part either , I remind her when shw wants money for shopping

My girlfriend says the same thing. Thai unemployment rates are under 1%, they could always open a noodle stand, or work in a 7/11, there's one on every street. Familymart if they're not professional enough for 7/11.

In poorer countries like Vietnam there are much fewer prostitutes.

It's something in the 'mai pen rai' attitude and ability to compartmentalize things. Oh I'll just sleep with guy 'a little' then go temple to make merit and it'll all be fine.

That and lazy manipulative parents demanding money flow upwards to 'take care' of them, the more the better no questions asked where it's coming from.

Correct, agreed.

Lazy & do 20 min boom boom for 2/3/4 days wages in normal job

Boom boom easier & maybe over in 10 mins.

Pla didn't die.. she married the English teacher.

And started drinking and being a bigger idiot than he was

Imagine if he was teaching your child? Err no thank you

I am sure there are some just like him, if not worst.

Know one quiet well that goes and gets pissed with his students.

Sent from my c64

Pla didn't die.. she married the English teacher.

And started drinking and being a bigger idiot than he was

Imagine if he was teaching your child? Err no thank you

I am sure there are some just like him, if not worst.

Know one quiet well that goes and gets pissed with his students.

Sent from my c64

Many like him actually. Its one of the main reasons I'm looking for alternatives to thailand long term.

Maybe you live rural? You just can't avoid dorks like this in main areas. They are everywhere.

I used to'go out' with her mate who worked at the same bar, Pla borrowed money off her for an abortion on soi 12, of course she was a sex worker. Can't really understand why the OP is obsessed by what happened somebody he never even met.

• Like 1