Tsunami evacuation drill starts in Phuket

webfact

Tsunami evacuation drill starts in Phuket

20-5-2558-11-49-24-wpcf_728x403.jpg

PHUKET: -- Phuket is now launching a full-scale tsunami evacuation drill starting first at Laem Tuk Kae and Koh Sireh villages before extending to cover all 19 villages around the tsunami warning tower.

The first drill this year picked Laem Tuk Kae and Koh Sireh because the two villages which are described as risky areas in case of being hit by tsunami had never had any drill in the past.

The evacuation drill was supposed to take place after a 8.5 magnitude earthquake hit the Andaman Sea, sending off a deadly tsunami to approach Phuket beaches.

The National Disaster Warning Center then issued a warning that Phuket will be hit with a tsunami.

Tsunami warnings were announced in five languages, and the drill also included simulated emergencies, such as motor vehicle accidents, that occurred during a normal evacuation.

Phuket authorities said the drill yesterday was part of a full-scale drill that will cover 19 beach villages around the tsunami warning tower and are considered risky areas if hit by tsunami.

They said during the drill, residents and officers were able to practice rescue and evacuation drills. Equipment that is meant to help with tsunami disaster relief and warnings were also be tested at this time.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tsunami-evacuation-drill-starts-in-phuket

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-20

Very laudable of course, i would like to witness it from a safe distance, seeing a lot of fat bellied, varicose vein legged bar stool farangs actually running would be a sight for sore eyes, no tsunami deaths but a few heart attacks, ''Save the beer, save the beer''

I wonder how it works in real life if a tsunami should come.Equipment have been purchased (very expensive) but education of local staff,test and maintenance is rearly seen around here.

I'm not sure where you live. We live in Thachatchai, very northern end of Phuket Island. A 4 meter wave came onshore from the strait between Phuket and Phang Nga in 2004. When the 8.6 and 8.4 quakes hit the Ache area about 3 (?) years ago, there was a voluntary evacuation. Our village overhead speakers came on, I tuned into BBC (the quickest and most accurate reporting of things like this), got together a team of 8 that was staying with us along with all of our most important documents and headed to the evacuation point. Phuket Airport was closed. My husband made a second trip back to gather those who had no transportation. The situation was followed closely on Thai TV, and about 30 minutes before we would have had an all-clear to return home from the first quake, the second hit. Another several hours out of the house. Things seemed to work quite well here, even though we have no warning sirens. No one panicked. In tourist areas, you would need hotel and other staff to CALMLY ask people to head to high ground. Many resorts re-built in Khao Lak have vertical evacuation plans - I would assume deeper footings in construction - so you evacuate to the top floor or roof. I feel quite secure living here. I have neighbors who care and would bust down the door or break windows, or whatever to warn us to get out if need be.

Being a Southern California native, I know the necessity of individual earthquake preparedness along with the ability to help friends and neighbors. We need just a bit more of this education in the tsunami and earthquake prone areas. The purpose is not to produce fear, but to produce confidence in preparedness and knowing what to do in an emergency. I know, a tall order here, but well worth looking into.