18 Baht Refund ... true story of metaphysical shopping in Chiang Mai

orang37

Inspired by the satisfyingly bold starting-gate patter (no pittering around) of a fresh storm's onset here, and the recent comments on buy-more-pay-more shopping in Chiang Mai in another thread here, I remembered a story that I wrote many year ago (twelve years ago, in fact).

I claim this is true; I really did get an 18 baht refund from Tesco Lotus. But, since this story was written before the epiphanic singularity that joined the mind-soul of a dying Orangutan with my (dying human) mind-soul in the depths of an unfinished Bangkok subway excavation, resulting in the current ménage à trois (Orang's mind-soul, my mind-soul, my unconscious) inhabiting this too-rapidly aging human meat-package ... well, I wouldn't put it past the previous entity-thing I was to have used a story-teller's poetic license to, like MSG with food, increase the story's savory, or flavor.

While I squirm slightly reading the story now (and, I know Orang is laughing because I've got goose-bumps), because of its rather jejune and fatuous pseudo-cross-cultural insights ... we're long past those, now ... I'll leave it as is, so that you will have obvious imperfection available ... something we all need ... don't you think ?

cheers ~o:37;

~ 18 Baht Refund (copyleft asserted: https://gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.en.html)

Once in a while I do something in Thailand out of a sense of curiousity to see how Thais will handle a situation, how they will react to something novel, or something involving a farang.
And sometimes I love to challenge a bureaucracy just to see if something is possible, like the time in India in 1975, during Indira Gandhi's political emergency, when I won a bet with the director of the academic program that sent me to India for a year that I could get an official kerosene ration card from the city of Delhi.
It took me three days, and repeated visits to six government offices, before I got the card and the four different kinds of stamps which had to be placed on it along with two official seals.
So it was that on returning home from a late-night trip to the Lotus shopping center I noticed that I had been charged 276 baht for a flat case containing four six-packs of Lipton Peach tea. I guess I was too high on endorphins from a heroic one-hour treadmill session followed by a red-hot sauna to have paid much attention at the check out counter when the bill was tallied. Note that normally I buy this Lipton Peach tea in a smaller package of 12 in a cardboard box, but they were out of that size package.
But on looking at the bill, by chance, before discarding it, the charge for the canned tea jumped out at me because normally I pay 129 baht for a 12 pack of Lipton Peach tea. And my mental calculator immediately activated a flashing red light that said : "overcharge ... overcharge ... 18 baht overcharge."
The next week I went again to the same Lotus and picked up a 12 pack, and on my way out I realized that I still had the receipt from last week in my wallet.
On impulse I decided to go to Customer Service and request an 18 baht refund of the overcharge. 18 baht is about US 40 cents.
The first person I spoke to did not speak English, but I explained carefully to her in Thai the details and showed her the two receipts showing I had been charged that day 129 baht for 12 cans and the time before 276 baht for 24 cans.
At first she said that I had bought Lemon tea, not Peach Tea, and evidently the cashier on the register when I bought the 24 cans had rang it up as Lemon rather than Peach by mistake.
I patiently pointed out to her that Lemon tea also sold for 129 bhat per 12 pack.
Then she called over her co-worker who spoke some English. Minute study of the two receipts went on and then the co-worker asked me to wait. A few minutes later she came back with a six pack of Lemon tea and explained that I had purchased 4 six packs of Lemon tea and the six packs were 69 baht each which led to the charge of 276 baht.
I noticed at this time the first woman I talked was becoming agitated, a little, though not angry, just frustrated in the way that Thais get when they show the frustration through drumming the fingers or twitching of the leg ... anywhere but the face where a friendly expression is always being controlled and presented.
By this time I have to admit I was enjoying the experience of what was happening, and I was very curious to see where it would go. If that makes me a voyeur, so be it.
All this time I was being very careful with my body language to do nothing aggressive, to keep open palms and to keep my voice soft and pleasant and friendly. It was easy to do since I was enjoying the experiment and didn't really care if I got 18 baht back or not.
I carefully explained to the second woman that if I went to Talat Somphet (a local market near where I live) and bought one lemon, that was three baht, but if I bought 4 lemons, I could get them for 10 baht. I asked her, rhetorically, if she didn't think that since I bought 24 cans shouldn't I get the benefit of the lower price for buying 12 cans ?
At this point a rapid fire of conversation in Thai went back and forth between the two women I was dealing with and I thought they might be about to get into an argument, but then one of them turned to me and said "please wait I go supervisor."
"Mai phen rai," says I (means "no problem" and a lot more in Thai). I moved away a distance and adopted a kind of patient neutral stance. I had now been interacting with two of the store's employees for about ten minutes.
Through long experience I have learned that the slightest demonstration of frustration or impatience can trigger very defensive behavior on the part of Thais; they are socialized to avoid negative situations that are unpredictable, and given the uncertainty factors surrounding Foreigners, Thais are very keen that if there is a problem, they not be the one blamed for it, or responsible for it. Conversely, if you can appear balanced and almost indifferent to your own problem, whatever it is, it is much more likely that a Thai person will feel comfortable in trying to help you, and they will actually really go out of their way to try and help.
So I just stood about twenty feet away from the customer service counter observing the second woman who had come into the picture busy showing the two receipts to her other co-workers and discussing them. I just stretched and relaxed and focused on a spot on the wall while continually smiling as if I were a happy turtle on a sunny log.
The first woman now came back with a third woman who had several "badges" of authority including a lanyard with a bunch of keys around her neck, and a walkie-talkie.
Ms. Supervisor beckoned me over and seemed surprised that I spoke Thai when I broke in as she was saying to the second woman in Thai "can he speak any Thai ?"
Ms. Supervisor repeated the line that I had purchased 4 six packs which is why I was charged 276 baht. Once again I explained that I had only picked up the flat of 4 six packs because they were out of the 12 packs I normally buy.
And, once again I explained patiently that I thought that it was only right that I receive the benefit of a volume purchase.
Then followed an interesting rapid-fire exchange between the three women with the Supervisor appearing to scold the second woman, although I'm not sure what they really said.
And what began to impress me very much was how seriously all this was being taken; no one had said to me (yet, I thought) something on the order of "why are you wasting all this time for 18 baht, you dolt ?"
What I also began to see was that the first woman I talked to was now my advocate and was enjoying advancing my cause with the second woman and her supervisor. The first woman now began exchanging sly grins with me, the kind of grin that says : "isn't this a lot more fun than re-counting the receipts from register #9." At least that's my fantasy of why she was sending me Cheshire-cat hellos.
I found the body language of the Supervisor fascinating, and as she switched between turning around to face me and then turning back to confer with her two juniors, she exhibited a remarkably fast transition between being soft-voiced and smiling with me, to an imperious-commanding tone with her juniors.
Ms. Supervisor turned around to me again and said : "I'm sorry, can you wait another few minutes ?"
At this point I was tempted to just say "forget it, it's only 18 baht," but I reminded myself that I was now nearing twenty minutes of time invested in this process and really should stick it out.
"Mai phen rai," I said in my sweetest calmest voice, and went back to being a patient watcher.
Now it appeared that my situation was being discussed by every employee (five of them) behind the customer service counter ... fortunately I was there at a time when they were not that busy, so other Thai customers were not lined up being as politely irate as Thais can be, and other farang customers were not erupting in volcanic outpourings of impatient rage.
Ms. Supervisor returned with Mr. Executive who was carrying a very snazzy mobile phone and dressed in impeccable white shirt and tie with magnificent gold wire-frame glasses.
Mr. Executive began "Your situation has been explained to me as to why you have not got best price, but I am sorry that you buy four of six so am to charge for price of six."
"That's very kind of you," I said.
"But how we can change four of six to 12 ?"
I felt a sudden tinge of fear : was this a trap ? Was this the trick question ? Was he now shifting the full weight of the Lotus' administrative impedimenta onto my shoulders with a metaphysical judo-throw ?
Feeling myself rise to the occasion I said : "I am your very good customer, and I know you want me to have the best price."
"Yes," Mr. Executive said, cautiously : was he, too, feeling his way through a mine field of cosmic significance ?
"If I go to Talat Somphet and buy one lemon," I said, speaking in Thai : "I pay 3 baht, but if I buy 4 lemons I pay 10 baht."
My ally, lady number one, winked at me then, I swear.
Then a wonderful thing happened : Mr. Executive appeared to find the last part of my statement in Thai : "sur see manao sip baht" ("buy fours lemons ten baht") very, very funny. He was repeating it and giggling while he was repeating it.
And the whole group started laughing, and I started laughing.
Then Mr. Executive said, in Thai, "thank you very much."
And, I said in Thai : "Thank, you, very much."
And then he walked away quickly, and then the thought occurred to me that it was all over, that the game was up, and I wasn't going to fulfill my quest for the 18 baht. That I was the shucked rube in the parking lot outside the carnival without enough in my pockets to take the bus home, not even having seen the bearded-Lady to brag about.
I was interrupted in my somber reverie by Ms. Supervisor pointing me to the first woman at the register beckoning me over to receive 18 baht.
And then I was given two unusually small cooking aprons for free ! After donating them to the local chef at the guest house where I live, a wonderfully friendly man, Khun Da. I asked him what the Thai motto on the front of the aprons meant : something about "wasted food and wasted life" was all I could understand of his explanation in Thai.
Looking back on this whole encounter, it seems to me a good example of what Thais call "krieng jai" : a set of norms for social behavior that emphasizes putting the "happiest face" on any situation, particularly when there is a potential for a conflict, or someone losing face.
I personally believe that "krieng jai," and its associated psychologically valued mental states, expressed in the classic modal cultural codes of "mai phen rai" ("don't sweat the small stuff") and "jai yen," (keep a cool heart, don't lose self-control) comes partially from the experience of most Thais in growing up in small groups without a great deal of physical privacy.
While I wish I could tell you that I have learned to fully adapt to what many westerners have called "Thai Ways," it's more truthful to admit that sometimes I still "lose it" and go into "western angry confrontation mode" over the usual difficulties in getting something repaired, or the visa updated. And every time I do lose my temper, or exhibit aggressive behavior, with Thais, the problem at hand gets worse, if not disastrous !
Woe to the Westerner who concludes that the silky-smooth quiet surfaces rippling with politeness and hyper-friendliness which are Thais' forte reflects an "inner person" who is not passionate, or even potentially capable of violence. You confront here at your own risk !
~

I don't have your patience. I went into the AIS shop in Maya a while back and asked to top up my Internet bandwidth. The reply was a curt "Cannot" before she went back to checking her Facebook.

At which point I just glared at her and explained that since you could do it in any other AIS shop, I expected to be able to do it there, and if she couldn't do it I'd like to talk to her supervisor.

At which point she then started typing into the computer, took my money, gave me a receipt and I got the SMS to tell me it had been updated.

I can tolerate mistakes, but I will not tolerate sloppy service through laziness, and I ain't going to do the "Mai phen rai" bit when it is a problem.

Keepin' it short. I bought some Sri Racha Sauce at Tesco. Got home, the top was not sealed. Sauce was dry and black. Took it back. Tesco staff just gave me new one. No mystery. Same as tesco anywhere in the world.

Keepin' it short. I bought some Sri Racha Sauce at Tesco. Got home, the top was not sealed. Sauce was dry and black. Took it back. Tesco staff just gave me new one. No mystery. Same as tesco anywhere in the world.

Yes but here they would have put it straight back on the shelf,it was likely a return from someone else in

the first place,seen them do ,not Tesco but another shop.

regards worgeordie

Orang, I love your writing but one question? Why did you give the game away in the title? Could have had a few cliffhanger moments in there otherwise.

Also, your point about "losing it" not working, I have to disagree. However, the cost is absolute faceloss and no longer being able to shop at the store.

Orang, I love your writing but one question? Why did you give the game away in the title? Could have had a few cliffhanger moments in there otherwise.

Also, your point about "losing it" not working, I have to disagree. However, the cost is absolute faceloss and no longer being able to shop at the store.

Yeah I've had the "bad face" game played on me a few times, but there is a saying I always keep in mind.

"You are as important to me as I am to you. Therefore we are equal".

I tempted to launch myself off the 12th floor of this wonderful hotel.

Posts such as these could explain the high incidence of jumpers in LOS.

To show you that I do pay as much thought and attention to your writings, as I to to Orangs, I must ask you to clarify some of your writing.

Are you trying to convey :

That you " attempted " to launch yourself off the 12rh floor ......

or

that you were " tempted " to launch yourself off the 12th floor.....

These things are critically important , you know, like the " you're " and " your "

You do realise that there is a very real risk of psychological damage here, don't you? None of us temper tantrumists feel in any way inclined to the benign if it involves people smaller than ourselves, in more subservient positions, who are either bespectacled, goofy-toothed and knock-kneed, or, heaven help us, smell of Old Spice.

In fact we need such people. Without them we might be nice, and the stars in the heavens will align, and no one will want to be a lawyer.

Well, I was tempted, Gonzo. Notwithstanding, we had 7pm table at the Blue Elephant booked.

Going for my second gin sling and have calmed down enough to withdraw.

Well if you go past the second gin, I wouldn't worry about withdrawal, be more concerned with fall out.....

Hi Khun Naboo,

I appreciate your kinds words, and I agree with you that 'twould have been better story-telling to put the explanatory intro at the end :)

My experience with "losing it" here in Amazing T is that it never brought me any help with whatever the issue was, in fact it resulted in confusion, and, at times, refusal of assistance. But, that's just my experience, and I recognize that ... praise be ... your mileage may vary.

cheers, ~o:37;

...and if anyone were still to be hooked on the minor cost detail - about the (it's only 18 baht)

- after a few weeks, sometime months in country, a baht is a dollar is a baht is a dollar is a baht

What a delightful tale, Orange. Thanks.

...And your ally, the one sending you the "Cheshire-cat hellos" -- I have a strangely vivid image of her in my head and am inexplicably in love with her.

T

Orang...how did you manage to get the ration book. I was living in Ooty then and had to get my kerosine and stuff black market....about 10% more.

I did manage to get a disabled toilet put in ChiangRai big C.....the story was here before but complaints sometimes work here...just have to get the right person on side. Only took one complaint and emails followed starting the next day of progress and plans until it was finished 3 weeks later.