Questions about ho chi minh city

I am planning a trip to ho chi minh city and So far from what I understand is

1. Be aware that there are fake Vinasun and fake Mai Linh taxis, the real vinasun and real mai linh taxis show numbers on there car showing 38.27.27.27 and 38.38.38.38

2. District 1 is by far the most popular area to stay due to distance of attractions, food, nightlife

3. Should be careful of my smartphone in public as it appears theft of smartphones, bags, purses is quite high especially by motorbikes

4. Always have a print out of the location you want to go to in vietnamese

5. Beware of menus without prices on

I've read its easier to go through immigration when you already have a tourist visa instead of doing the visa on arrival is this true?

I look forward to anyones advice who has been there on

Advise on crossing the roads in ho chi minh city

Any recommendations on which clubs / bar to visit while in district 1

Any other things to be aware of

Best place to change money at airport or inside the city?

It's not any easier to go through immigrations having obtained an actual Vietnamese tourist visa abroad; you simply don't have to queue for your visa-on-arrival which is a separate process from passport control immigrations. Once having obtained the visa-on-arrival, one then enters Vietnam using the same immigrations lines as everybody else.

Edited by ovenman

You do need to be aware of taxi scams at the airport, The reliable taxi companies like Mai Linh and Vinasun usually have an agent curbside that manages the queue for their taxis so you're unlikely to get a fake Mai Linh or Vinasun taxi from the airport.

I usually take the 152 city bus between the airport and District 1 (and vice-versa). It's 5,000 dong (~8 baht); sometimes you get charged double if traveling with big bags. The 152 bus stops at Bến Thành Market and continues on to the backpackers area of Q1. The downside to using the 152 bus is that it stops running at 18:00 sharp. I made it from Bến Thành Market to the airport in twenty-five minutes on the bus one morning last week at 07:00.

Never change money myself; I always make ATM withdrawals for which there are plenty machines at Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport.

I wouldn't worry too much about the smartphone unless you are generally careless with yours. Most big city Vietnamese have one as well, just like Thais.

+1 for the bus from the airport. Quick and easy (for District 1). As for crossing the road, walk at a steady pace, don't stop or start to run. If you stay around the Bitexco end of District 1, it is easy to walk around, not so easy in the backpacker end of the District.There are some good bars near Bitexco, the bars are very different from Bangkok.More like regular pubs.

Yes, the menu one is definitely something to keep in mind. Make sure there are prices on the menu, and NEVER order anything that's not on the menu, though you will be offered such things often.

Also keep in mind that the average Vietnamese person is very warm, friendly, and honest, and will give you the shirt off their back if you're in need. It's a very lovely country. HOWEVER...many of those Vietnamese who work with tourists are some of the most dishonest, sleazy, heartless, scheming individuals you will ever meet. They have a reputation for a reason. Just don't let that color your perception of the Vietnamese people in general.

I am going soon & have inquired about a visa on line.

'Visa within 2 days, and for 5 applicants, we get a discount of 20USD, so total = 75 USD (15 USD each), then we have to pay 45 USD EACH! For Stamping Fee.'
So 60 $ for a tourist visa. It's free to come on holiday to Thailand, why is it so expensive to holiday in VN? Don't they want our dollars?

'Visa within 2 days, and for 5 applicants, we get a discount of 20USD, so total = 75 USD (15 USD each), then we have to pay 45 USD EACH! For Stamping Fee.'
So 60 $ for a tourist visa. It's free to come on holiday to Thailand, why is it so expensive to holiday in VN? Don't they want our dollars?

Apparently Vietnam wants more of your dollars. wink.png

I appreciate your attempt at humor, Ovenman. On a serious note, surely VN is in competition with many SE Asian countries for tourist dollars. If the country does not make things easy/cheap, the tourist goes elsewhere. My party of 6 will spend easily 500,000 baht if we include flights (+ internal ones) meals/hotels/taxis/drinks. Any country should be making every effort to facilitate such a visit.

Thanks so far for the advice and comments its welcome as for the visa on arrival and getting a visa at the embassy in bangkok pricing wise your still going to pay, here is what I could find online so far

Vietnam Visa Prices

As at February 2015, it’s 3000 Thai Baht for a single entry visa if you want it ready next day, or 2400 Baht for processing in 4 days. There currently is no same-day visa option.

Visa Fee(Stamp fee) for those who have got visa authorization from Immigration Office of Viet Nam

01 Month Single entry : 1350 Baht

01 Month Multiple entries : 1950 Baht

03 Months Multiple entries : 2850 Baht

I look forward to more advice on any information you guys can provide on vietnam

I appreciate your attempt at humor, Ovenman. On a serious note, surely VN is in competition with many SE Asian countries for tourist dollars. If the country does not make things easy/cheap, the tourist goes elsewhere. My party of 6 will spend easily 500,000 baht if we include flights (+ internal ones) meals/hotels/taxis/drinks. Any country should be making every effort to facilitate such a visit.

Off the top of my head, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia all require visas (for me anyway as a US citizen). That's five of the ten ASEAN nations, all competing for my tourist dollars. I don't disagree with you that it would be nice if this were not the case but Vietnam is hardly an exceptional case amongst SE Asian nations.

Give over, you're not going to miss $60 from 500,000 Baht.

Just wirite if off and enjoy yourself or have a miserable time. You have very little alternatives.

Write to the Vietnamese Embassy if you feel hard done by.

Thanks so far for the advice and comments its welcome as for the visa on arrival and getting a visa at the embassy in bangkok pricing wise your still going to pay, here is what I could find online so far

Vietnam Visa Prices

As at February 2015, it’s 3000 Thai Baht for a single entry visa if you want it ready next day, or 2400 Baht for processing in 4 days. There currently is no same-day visa option.

Visa Fee(Stamp fee) for those who have got visa authorization from Immigration Office of Viet Nam

01 Month Single entry : 1350 Baht

01 Month Multiple entries : 1950 Baht

03 Months Multiple entries : 2850 Baht

I look forward to more advice on any information you guys can provide on vietnam

If applying for a visa at the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok is a viable option for you, it's certainly worth considering. It's not for me as I live in Chiang Mai. Doing so would involve at least an overnight trip to Bangkok and the expense that entails. You won't save any money dealing with the Embassy, even taking the four-day turnaround option. I can't see how you would save any time dealing with the Embassy either once you factor in travel time to/from the Embassy twice, plus any time spent queuing there. I've only ever done Vietnam visa-on-arrival at HCMC but I've done it eight times now. Worst cases for me have been maybe ninety minutes spent getting the visa.

Give over, you're not going to miss $60 from 500,000 Baht.

Just wirite if off and enjoy yourself or have a miserable time. You have very little alternatives.

Write to the Vietnamese Embassy if you feel hard done by.

I disagree, Theos. I have a number of alternatives in SE Asia, most of them free to enter. As has been pointed out above, a 90 minute queue after a 15 hour flight from Europe to pay $60 entrance fee is hardly the way to attract big-spending tourists.

I agree. I often go to Vietnam but that is because as a Scandinavian I don't need visa for up to 2 weeks stay. I certainly will rather go to countries where a visa is not needed as it can be expensive for a short stay and also a hassle to get the visa.

I agree. I often go to Vietnam but that is because as a Scandinavian I don't need visa for up to 2 weeks stay. I certainly will rather go to countries where a visa is not needed as it can be expensive for a short stay and also a hassle to get the visa.

Not to mention losing a page of your passport. Last year the Vietnam government announced it was intending to scrap the visa for UK citizens on short tourist trips. I am deferring my next trip until that happens. I know, I will probably never see Vietnam again!

In April I flew from Sub to HCMC with Jetstar, never heard of them before but the plane was good and I applied for my 3 month single entry visa online. I paid in US dollars and it cost me $25 for the visa and $45 for the stamping fee. I must say I was surprised that the stamping fee was more than the visa!! After taking an hour or so to get the visa stamped I went down to collect my bags although my flight had disappeared from the carousel so had my bags!

After a few minutes of worrying, I was told there is a place where they take your luggage and there it was, on a trolley at the end of the concourse biggrin.png