Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, Kawasaki Z 800 Which one?

ALFREDO

Ah, the Wave. Truly the best suggestion I've heard so far. With his budget he could buy at least 7 of them too and have one for every day of the week. Good food for thought.

The good thing about my suggestion though to get a Kawa is that the bike still has enough power for all riding situations in Thailand unless he was trying to compete on the track. I can't think of any other time you would need more than around 80HP in this country unless he was wanting to pull another vehicle with it or had an extremely heavy passenger on the back.

My bike is a 162 HP and I'm loving every single one of them. Wouldn't want anything less now.

And where is the 80 hp limit in your post came from? If you ended up with a CBR300 would you suggest then that 30+ odd HP is enough for Thailand?

No. In another post I mentioned the 23HP of a 250 I thought was not enough for certain riding conditions in Thailand. Especially highway riding going cross country. But I can't think of any situation where the HP of a 650 bike would not be enough in Thailand. Fine if you like having more HP. That's not the issue OR MY POINT. Need was the point I was making.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no NEEDS for many things each and every one of us have, however there's always WANTS.

OP wants a bigger bike and that is fine too, no need to advocate getting a smaller bike based on needs.

There's no NEEDS for many things each and every one of us have, however there's always WANTS.

OP wants a bigger bike and that is fine too, no need to advocate getting a smaller bike based on needs.

Exactly, if I didn't have family commitments, I would likely had something with a D on the tank and not a Kwink.png

For getting the big Fun factor, you need HP, lots of HP, and the real fun begins North of 100HP.

After I tried a Hyperstrada I was grinning from ear to ear, not so much on my V650 but I am smiling though.

Some dudes can never enough HP and some can settle on less.

Yeah.

I want 10 sexy bikes, all paid for and insured. Then I want unlimited paid holidays to ride them whilst on full pay wub.png

Nearest I came to that was back in the UK many years ago. In the garage had a GSXR750, GS1000 Suzuki track bike (I know, don't laugh) and an X7 250.

Someone decided to take the Gixer away without permission - came back in boxes, but thats another story.

As this thread is extending to several pages, I think we need to open a poll to help Alfredo make his mind up.

I go with a Street Triple (even though I ride an MT-09) - sounds like Alfredo dont need the power of the Dark Side but the ace handling of the Street Triple.

His original post was for an opinion on the 3 bikes he mentioned. I have my opinion that I thought none of them would be a good choice. That was/is my "opinion". I later explained why. Then eventually I gave another opinion on why I thought a used 650 bike would be the best choice based on cost and climate in Thailand. All my opinions.

The OP's original post said nothing about wanting a bigger bike. He was asking for opinions on 3 bikes. He also seems happy with the idea of considering a 650 bike if that will cover his needs.

If he wants a bigger bike, with more HP that's fine. He can spend the extra money and deal with the added size, weight, heat, and challenges of finding parts and repairing a bigger imported bike if that's what he wants. But I gave given my opinion which still stands that all that someone really needs for all riding situations in Thailand is a bike of around 80HP and would be best to buy one that is locally made.

I think WingNut does have a valid point. That point being the more rational/economical choice is a 650ish locally made bike. I think noone would dispute that.

But again big bikes are more than rational choices most times. They are toys where style and emotions also matter. And in the end that's something that only Alfredo can decide.

By nature there can't be a concensus on this topic as all bikes are valid choices depending on preferences.

Alfredo: your best bet now is to do test rides and please report back to us how you found each bike.

Agreed. Alfredo has some good info now and a variety of opinions. Some of which are more practical than others. And so he can make an educated decision as well as one that pleases his own personal taste, budget, and desires.

As this thread is extending to several pages, I think we need to open a poll to help Alfredo make his mind up.

I go with a Street Triple (even though I ride an MT-09) - sounds like Alfredo dont need the power of the Dark Side but the ace handling of the Street Triple.

Maybe Alredo surprises us all and says the hell with bikes and buys himself a Ferrari instead!

Yes sure there are many factors to weigh in when buying a bike.

1: How much can/will you spend?

2: See above.

3: see item 1

4: see item 1

5: see item 1

So as you can see, very easy. thumbsup.gif

On a more serious note, it will be difficult to try above bikes in Thailand, perhaps the Ducati will be the most easy to do a test on but doubt the Yamaha mt09 or Kawa can be test ridden anywhere but are not 100% sure.

Of the 3 bikes, I will also rule out the Z800 despite being a Kawa owner myself, too heavy and no abs, but you can get a 2nd hand one cheap and not loosing too much money if you sell it a year later, so perhaps not such a bad idea after all, getting a Z800 if you buy 2nd hand.

Hmm.

Sure.

If finance dictates the day and if there is a decent used bike on offer with all paperwork in order, its the way to go.

Still, if we are talking new, in Alfredo's case, Street Triple or MT-07 when its out.

Saying that, I thought the MT-07 was too small for myself- 185cm and 96kilo.

Of the 3 mentioned in OP, the best way would be to test ride them all and if no yest rides available, he can rent each bike for a day to get a good feel of them. Why make your decision based on what forum users say about the bikes? Everyone has different likes and preferences.

As someone else mentioned, Ducati will sound good at the higher RPM, not when it's idling.

Go big or not at all is what I think.

So I'd get the Ducati.

A CB300F is all you need, but you should get what you want.

Or just get something to tide you over until a bike you really want comes along.

The fact that you are choosing between 3 bikes means you don't really want any of them.

If you really wanted a particular bike this thread would not exist because you'd be riding whatever already.

The fact that you are choosing between 3 bikes means you don't really want any of them.

If you really wanted a particular bike this thread would not exist because you'd be riding whatever already.

That's a very good point. When I had decided I wanted a locally made 650 bike the only locally made one available at the time was the Kawa. I didn't like the two cylinder aspect of it though and didn't like the handlebar setup either. I test rode it a couple of times and it was fine. But twice I went down to the dealer with the intention of buying one and both times walked out without being able to pull the trigger. I then decided it wasn't the bike I really wanted and to wait until a bike comes along that I do really want as you suggested.

Then the CBR650 was announced. I decided immediately that was the bike I really wanted. I liked the engine setup, riding position, and factory colors. Never even cared to test drive it first and eventually just bought one with no questions really asked.

So that proves your theory I think.

Not necessarily true, just like the OP I wanted something 800 cc or above when I started looking for a new bike, wasn't sure which one but I new it had to be above 800. The 3 bikes OP is looking at were in the list of bikes that I have considered too.

Ended up getting something completely different altogether but that's a different story.

But you knew you wanted something above 800cc. That's a start.

The OP though hasn't stated he was focused on CC. He was just comparing 3 specific bikes and wanted a crowd sourced opinion of those bikes. In his OP says nothing about 800cc being a parameter.

Not necessarily true, just like the OP I wanted something 800 cc or above when I started looking for a new bike, wasn't sure which one but I new it had to be above 800. The 3 bikes OP is looking at were in the list of bikes that I have considered too.

Ended up getting something completely different altogether but that's a different story.

Exactly, I was after a Japanese inline 4 litre bike. Didn't buy one after 3 years of looking as none of them really did it for me. Never seriously considered a Ducati before, I'd read all the usual horror stories from people who never owned one. Then I went to the motor show in Bang Na and saw the Panigale 899 from around 100 metres away.

Things turned to slow motion, a soft focus surrounded me as I ran across the showroom floor with my arms outstretched and became vaguely aware of some cheesy background music. My girlfriend looked on in the background with a jealous glint in her eye as I told the salesgirl to shut up and take my money.

Sometimes you just know.

Present bike I reserved in another country to buy when I arrived, paid 100% in cash and rode it away (came from Malaysia to Singapore). Hadn't seen one close up before - MT-09.

Bike before this one, Street Triple R. Bought one after seeing it IP close for the first time.

Both choices made following reading of as many road tests I could find.

Both good choices.

The OP though hasn't stated he was focused on CC. He was just comparing 3 specific bikes and wanted a crowd sourced opinion of those bikes. In his OP says nothing about 800cc being a parameter.

No he didn't say he wanted the 800 or more, but from the 3 bikes he's mentioned we can assume he's not interested in lesser bikes.

No he didn't say he wanted the 800 or more, but from the 3 bikes he's mentioned we can assume he's not interested in lesser bikes.

If you bothered to read what he wrote instead of continuing to make foolish assumptions on your own then you would see in fact he isn't tied to an 800cc or above bike. This is in fact what Alfredo actually said and it is not an "assumption" of anything:

"I am open minded and the Kawasaki 650 would have been my bike some years ago, now, it has more possibilities, but if they are not really so much better and mostly only more expensive I happy to keep some of the "budget" money."

I'm outta here. [emoji108]

I'm outta here. [emoji108]

Good!

Sheesh, what would it take to get rid of you too? I read your unfounded nonsense. Useless and annoying!

Are ya WingNut sidekick?

If you can't specify which nonsense you're specifically talking about, you can go back to lurking...

Ah, the Wave. Truly the best suggestion I've heard so far. With his budget he could buy at least 7 of them too and have one for every day of the week. Good food for thought.

The good thing about my suggestion though to get a Kawa is that the bike still has enough power for all riding situations in Thailand unless he was trying to compete on the track. I can't think of any other time you would need more than around 80HP in this country unless he was wanting to pull another vehicle with it or had an extremely heavy passenger on the back.

My bike is a 162 HP and I'm loving every single one of them. Wouldn't want anything less now.

And where is the 80 hp limit in your post came from? If you ended up with a CBR300 would you suggest then that 30+ odd HP is enough for Thailand?

No. In another post I mentioned the 23HP of a 250 I thought was not enough for certain riding conditions in Thailand. Especially highway riding going cross country. But I can't think of any situation where the HP of a 650 bike would not be enough in Thailand. Fine if you like having more HP. That's not the issue OR MY POINT. Need was the point I was making.

Had today a Testride, in small Amphoe in Sakhon Nakhon, on a second hand Kawasaki 650 ERn (4.700 km) was ok,

As I believe, in Thailand with so many possibly appearing obstacles, U-turners, animals ect. the power of that bike is most times enough.

Was short at 170 km/h, but also I use glasses my eyes teared - had only my old half shell helmet -

so I did not try more.

The fork dives a bit much in under my weight when braking and first I was unsure with the breaking.

Could not find the right pressure point but thought than, that could be the feeling of the ABS.

I never drove a ABS bike until now.

Was a good experience, now maybe a test with the Kawa z800, only that bike is far away, a flight necassary.wink.png

Archived