Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, Kawasaki Z 800 Which one?

ALFREDO

If you have a BMW dealer near you take the BMW F800R for a test ride , I am very happy with mine .

http://www.bikesmedia.com/bmw-f800r-vs-ducati-monster-821-two-twins-motorcycles-but-not-twin.html

Thank you, overlooked that Thailand built BMW, did not notice her.

BUT, I believe, before a BMW it would be the Ducati 821 Monster.

Next dealer - very far to.rolleyes.gif

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you already decided ? Imo i'd go for the FZ-09

It's a real weapon once you upgraded the suspension

Watch few drag videos on youtube. It smokes the z1000 and R6 (maybe r6 rider was bad but i heard redline)

It also can keep up easily with most liter bikes till 140 or so.. just because of the torque it has

Not decided, Yamaha, dealer far away, I like Yamaha, drove them most of my life,

but already to see one has its disadvantage, when so far to go.

Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, or Kawasaki Z 800? I wouldn't really want any of them. But that is just me. To each his own. Luckily there is a bike for everyone.

So, what would you like to drive, if you live in Thailand and have limited resources of money or

do not like to spend to much?

I drive also a Nissan March,

but from Sakhon Nakhon - Udon border - Chayaphum around 250 km

and back, I am very seldom overtaken.

Sure I knew other cars I would like to drive, BUT= TIT and my European =Glory Days= tongue.png

regarding money are over. rolleyes.gif

I can only write that I am not a Chopper or Harley type, also that would be also anyway expensive again. smile.png

The ducati... sadly service and parts will be an issue....? coffee1.gif

Cannot say now,

BUT, has to be seen,

how long Ducati will have dealers-maintainance office in Udon, Khon Kaen and Korat. rolleyes.gif

Can't remember reading anything about the Scrambler being underpowered. It has much more power than it's direct competition like the Triumph Scrambler for example, or old Scramblers. Horsepower is deceiving anyways because top speed is "only" about 190km/h (good luck holding on to the bars at that speed on a naked bike) but you get 68Nm torque which comes very low and the gearing is not very long.

And owning one I can say it's definitely not underpowered for the bike it is. Like nikster said, it is for cruising around town, not as hooligan as a Hyper/Monster/MT-09. It depends on what style of riding you prefer. But it'll power wheely in second gear without fuss if you want it to.

But the OP has a bigger budget and if he wants power to go a bit crazy, the M821, Hyper or MT-09 are indeed better bikes.

That Ducati Scrambler,

looks, same a daisy, under roses and orchids, compared, to most other bikes we wrote about.

As I see now, has also a "high price" for that looks. (360.000 - 420.000 OMG)

Only more "crazy" the price of the Triumph Scrambler you mentioned 600.000.- + blink.png

I drove in Europe big bikes since 1978, most times 1.000 cc

and in Thailand,

same I wrote in and around Phuket, a 400 CBR Honda in wild Repsol coloures

and a really nasty sound, thumbsup.gif

was fast enough 15 years ago, sounded even faster, full throttle, 180+ on the clock from Airport to Phuket town.facepalm.gif

Today the traffic there is crazy, I am most time with a scooter faster on Phuket around Patong

North to Kamala, South to Karon, Kata and East to Phuket town and onwards.

Anyway do not like it there anymore, all to much there from everything, special from traffic!

My weight shot up also, nearly no place for my stomach on-in the CBR Honda. whistling.gif

Ok, I'll explain my comment a little. Buy the Z800 if you want a big heavy bike with a super wide back tire that's mainly good for drag racing. Buy the Ducati 821 if you want to overpay for a noisy Italian made bike that rides hot and likes to be repaired all the time. And I can't think of any reason to buy that Yamaha, I'm sorry. [emoji30][emoji2][emoji5]️

Ok, I'll explain my comment a little. Buy the Z800 if you want a big heavy bike with a super wide back tire that's mainly good for drag racing. Buy the Ducati 821 if you want to overpay for a noisy Italian made bike that rides hot and likes to be repaired all the time. And I can't think of any reason to buy that Yamaha, I'm sorry. [emoji30][emoji2][emoji5]️

Yor AVATAR shows, the back and exhaust of a MV Agusta, a dream bike with a dream price,

special in Thailand.

So, I am still interested in your answer which could also help me to decide.wink.png

="what would you like to drive, if you live in Thailand and have limited resources of money or

do not like to spend to much?"=

Picture%20646.jpg

Yor AVATAR shows, the back and exhaust of a MV Agusta, a dream bike with a dream price,

special in Thailand.

So, I am still interested in your answer which could also help me to decide.wink.png

="what would you like to drive, if you live in Thailand and have limited resources of money or

Picture%20646.jpg

I was riding with one of those last night in Sisaket.

special in Thailand.

I think he rides a cbr650.

I am/was in same situation as you, my family comes first so limited budget, so I bought the new V650 which I am very happy with, but okay not in same class as the ones you are looking for.

It's very comfy for taller riders, cheap to buy/maintain and if you push it hard, it's fun to ride.

Yes, the new Ducati's are not the same machines as yesteryear.

Quite true. If people thought like that you'd not buy a bike

Brit bikes leak oil

Italian bikes have crap electrics

American bikes are 2 wheeled tractors

German bikes are but ugly

Jap bikes have no soul

Chinese bikes are all low quality

The list could go on and on.

Times change

If you are really looking for quality for money then buy a 2-3 year old Kawasaki Ninja 650 ER6. They have been making them in Thailand for longer than any of the locally made 650 bikes. That means there is a competitively priced second hand market for people wanting to get rid of them. Great torque, almost 80HP, and a great bike for all kinds of touring in Thailand. Given where we are and what we have to choose from that probably makes the most economic sense for someone on a budget. I am not a big fan of 2 cylinder bikes or the handle bar position on them. But if you get a naked version you should be able to pretty easily put some clip-one on it and still not have turning radius issues.

But the OP's budget is 500k. So no need to go shopping around for a second hand bike that's in a lower class than the aformention ones. Even if it'd be half the price.

Surely bang for the buck has its sweet spot around 650cc Honda and Kawa in Thailand currently but there's the emotional side which is difficult to quantify.

The Kawi would still be a beer choice used or new than any of those bikes, regardless of price. More reliable, greater availability of parts when repairs are needed, a better bike for Thai roads and hot climate, etc.

Statistics say the Yamaha would be more reliable than even the Kawa. And if reliability and parts are big concerns then you'd need to consider the CB650F also.

And we haven't seen any reliability reports of the Monster 821 and MT-09 yet I think, so hard to say how it will fair.

Personally parallel twins don't excite me much. And the Kawa has much less power so that's to consider too.

Going to the extreme of your argument, he'd need to buy a Honda Wave as these are super reliable and you can get parts in every little repair shop. But clearly that's not something he wants.

Ah, the Wave. Truly the best suggestion I've heard so far. With his budget he could buy at least 7 of them too and have one for every day of the week. Good food for thought.

The good thing about my suggestion though to get a Kawa is that the bike still has enough power for all riding situations in Thailand unless he was trying to compete on the track. I can't think of any other time you would need more than around 80HP in this country unless he was wanting to pull another vehicle with it or had an extremely heavy passenger on the back.

I am/was in same situation as you, my family comes first so limited budget, so I bought the new V650 which I am very happy with, but okay not in same class as the ones you are looking for.

It's very comfy for taller riders, cheap to buy/maintain and if you push it hard, it's fun to ride.

Thanks for the input.

Regarding your Thaivisa-name,

I drove a Moto Guzzi Le Mans with 1000 cc from 1980 - 1985 and that more powerful edition,

was at that time, a good competing bike against the Japanese models. thumbsup.gif

If you are really looking for quality for money then buy a 2-3 year old Kawasaki Ninja 650 ER6. They have been making them in Thailand for longer than any of the locally made 650 bikes. That means there is a competitively priced second hand market for people wanting to get rid of them. Great torque, almost 80HP, and a great bike for all kinds of touring in Thailand. Given where we are and what we have to choose from that probably makes the most economic sense for someone on a budget. I am not a big fan of 2 cylinder bikes or the handle bar position on them. But if you get a naked version you should be able to pretty easily put some clip-one on it and still not have turning radius issues.

Thank you for the input, on photo, could be a 650 Kawasaki, I will have a look.

10893482_888873177817642_1436087378_n.jp

But the OP's budget is 500k. So no need to go shopping around for a second hand bike that's in a lower class than the aformention ones. Even if it'd be half the price.

Surely bang for the buck has its sweet spot around 650cc Honda and Kawa in Thailand currently but there's the emotional side which is difficult to quantify.

I am open minded and the Kawasaki 650 would have been my bike some years ago, now, it has more possibilities, but if they are not really so much better and mostly only more expensive I happy to keep some of the "budget" money.

I drove a Moto Guzzi Le Mans (1.000cc) when young and drove it long, but since than I more used to the 4 cylinder sound of a nearly empty exhaust as I had on my small CBR 400 here in TH.

Was also enough for me, most times. I was disappointed of the Ducati's 821 original exhaust sound,

the improved, expensive louder version, I heared in You Tube, similar, I think I need more cylinder.rolleyes.gif

So, I still look around.smile.png

Ah, the Wave. Truly the best suggestion I've heard so far. With his budget he could buy at least 7 of them too and have one for every day of the week. Good food for thought.

The good thing about my suggestion though to get a Kawa is that the bike still has enough power for all riding situations in Thailand unless he was trying to compete on the track. I can't think of any other time you would need more than around 80HP in this country unless he was wanting to pull another vehicle with it or had an extremely heavy passenger on the back.

No, the HP, are OK for Thailand.wink.png

Had also enough with my CBR 400R

BUT, I have an extremly heavy driver - me. sad.png

And there is the sound what I miss, I had a head turning sound, on that CBR,

but I never paid for her loud sound. tongue.png

I am open minded and the Kawasaki 650 would have been my bike some years ago, now, it has more possibilities, but if they are not really so much better and mostly only more expensive I happy to keep some of the "budget" money.

I drove a Moto Guzzi Le Mans (1.000cc) when young and drove it long, but since than I more used to the 4 cylinder sound of a nearly empty exhaust as I had on my small CBR 400 here in TH.

Was also enough for me, most times. I was disappointed of the Ducati's 821 original exhaust sound,

the improved, expensive louder version, I heared in You Tube, similar, I think I need more cylinder.rolleyes.gif

So, I still look around.smile.png

Ducati's don't sound that great ticking over or pottering around. You need to get them wide open in the upper half of the rev range for them to really start singing (roaring) and it doesn't always translate that well on a Youtube video with a cheap mic.

Maybe try and get a proper test ride.

My bike is a 162 HP and I'm loving every single one of them. Wouldn't want anything less now.

And where is the 80 hp limit in your post came from? If you ended up with a CBR300 would you suggest then that 30+ odd HP is enough for Thailand?

Archived