Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, Kawasaki Z 800 Which one?

ALFREDO

I should add that a range of 250 km requires long stretches of downhill with a tailwind and no use of the addictive 'A' mode … otherwise you'll be looking at closer to 200 km … Mind you the stock seat is so hard you'll be wanting to stop by then anyway.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've no idea what those testers were doing to get 326 km out of a tank on an 09 … 250 km seems more realistic in my experience.

Riding like grammas?? I *could* make my 17 L tank last about 300 km on my Diavel but it would be a pretty boring ride at 60-80 kmh speed. So maybe it's possible to stretch that 17 L on M 821 into the high 300 range...

Normally I get a bit over 200 per tank and if I'm in a silly, I mean sports mode and pushing it then not even 200.

I think the Z800 would be the worst choice becuase of its heavy weight and lack of ABS brakes if one is planning to ride on any steep roads with lots of sharp twisties like the road from Chiang Mai to Pai for example. A heavy bike at slow speeds on winding roads can be an uncomfortable challenge after many hours of riding. A bike like that also isn't so easy to flick like a smaller, lighter bike. I would think the ER6 would be one of the best choices in terms of weight to horse power ratio for fun riding and it has ABS.

I think the Z800 would be the worst choice becuase of its heavy weight and lack of ABS brakes if one is planning to ride on any steep roads with lots of sharp twisties like the road from Chiang Mai to Pai for example. A heavy bike at slow speeds on winding roads can be an uncomfortable challenge after many hours of riding. A bike like that also isn't so easy to flick like a smaller, lighter bike. I would think the ER6 would be one of the best choices in terms of weight to horse power ratio for fun riding and it has ABS.

Er6n weight 206kg 70 odd HP

M 821 weight 205.5 kg 112 HP

Agree that Z800 is a bad choice though but nearly 100k baht less.

at mega Bang Na parking lot. Longest straight is 100 m. I'll try the Panigale [emoji3]
Sorry mate, no panigale, hayabusa or zx14r available.

I did test the 821 and the scrambler. Only really 1st gear and a bit figure 8's etc.

Heaps of room out the front of IKEA I wished they'd opened up for test circuit.

Alfredo - just buy the Ducati. You know you want to ...

You can also enjoy the fact that in LOS the price difference between the Duke and the Yam makes the Duke a bargain compared to Europe (that article you referenced says 10,690 Euro for the former and 8295 for the latter).

I've no idea what those testers were doing to get 326 km out of a tank on an 09 … 250 km seems more realistic in my experience.

YES,

but the price, in comparison to the second hand Kawasaki, 4.000 km on the clock and already with a Scorpion slip on exhaust and a front mask

and Number 1 insurance until Nov. is roughly 170.000 Baht,

that is one more Honda CB 300 (128.000 B.) and a Scooter. rolleyes.gif

What is it in TH with Test bikes?

In Honda BIG WING Udon you can only drive around the building, with 20 km/k lol blink.png

in Kawasaki Udon there is no testing, at least not when I was there,sad.png

BMW Udon same no Test ride possible when I visited. bah.gif

even in a Honda shop in Nong Han its not possible to test ride a Honda CB 300.

Cannot compete with all bikes mentioned in that thread,

but for (only) 128.000 B. I would give it a try to drive it.

But no Test ride? Called Honda call center, was no big help as I asked where I could test ride. wink.png

You right, sorry, I only sat on that bike and moved her up from sidestand, which was a lot different than doing so with the ER6n or the Ducati.

The steep roads will not come often, as I plan a tour or more, but I situated in the Isaan flatlands.sad.png

I was riding a Yamaha R1 model 1998 so the first model over a lot of the Austrian, Swiss, Italian and French Alps, not a bike good for that roads, but I had my fun. rolleyes.gif

The ER6, hmmm, the fork was to soft, the Kawasaki z800, that is a price thing to, as I know a second hand bike with small miles. Better I fly there ride it and than I know. thumbsup.gif

Paseo di Stelvio 2.700+

Trais_Linguas_Tour_49_Stilfser_Joch.jpg

Er6n weight 206kg 70 odd HP

M 821 weight 205.5 kg 112 HP

Agree that Z800 is a bad choice though but nearly 100k baht less.

I would even know a second hand bike, with some goodies already, nearly no miles, which brings the price even more down,

-170.000.- from Ducati price. (Goodies for free)rolleyes.gif

Z800 still sells well in BKK. Probably the big bike I see the most riding around.

Has good looks a good price, but is not perfect.smile.png

What are the prices of the 3 mentioned bikes new in Thailand right now?

Z800 is 375k THB and the other 2 are about 100k more.

Yes, Yamaha a bit cheaper, 435.000.-

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/ridersclub/pricelist.aspx

http://www.kawasaki.co.th/ninja/index.php?area=1&p=static&page=z800

http://www.ducatithailand.com/index.do

• 3 weeks later...

I am in PHUKET - Patong now

and had my test ride on the Kawasaki z800 see photo, a nice bike, good engine, breaks worked well when I used them, but, she was a bit unwieldy for me.11414763_899868750051418_2001123825_n.jp

So, I want to think it over.

The second hand KAWASAKI ER6N I tested in Sakhon Nakhon had terrible breaks in comparison - maybe wrong or cheap break pads?

The HONDA CB650F, was not possible to testride normally at Honda Udon Thani, only with 20 km/h around the house. blink.png

Felt also, head-heavy in that very slow conditions.

So, today I rent a DUCATI Hyperstrada, with a louder exhaust, was fun, but she ran not round in low revs and felt also not handy for me. The breaks very aggressive, bite heavy good. smile.pngModel_Hypermotard-SP_01_960x357.png

So,

I went back to the renter and took out a YAMAHA MT 09 with a louder exhaust. Sounded well. rolleyes.gif

I was positively surprised, strong engine and very handy. thumbsup.gif The breaks just right not to aggressive.

BUT, that bike is without ABS.

Anyway, now my favorite, I try to testride today the DUCATI Monster 821 under similar circumstances.

(In Udon Thnai was only a short High Way test.)

Than I should know more. tongue.png11426618_901927963178830_1015516821_n.jp

Alfredo. Now that you are in Phuket go to Bigwing here and have a proper test ride (ask where Bypass road is to open it up a bit!).

Also Ducati Phuket has their Road Show where you can test bikes since yesterday, check it out man!

How was your experience with the big bike rental in Paton? I'm interested in checking the MT-09 for a day but always scared of being scammed in Patong.

Also how much for a one day rental?

Alfredo it will be interesting to see which one you choose. For you guys that were following this thread before I got my Ducati Diavel out of the shop yesterday. Yes two months is way too long to have to wait for repairs but what can I say, I still love the way it rides, looks, and sounds and I guess it is worth putting up with a few Ducati Idiosyncracies smile.png .

If he does actually buy a bike, I'm betting he will end up with either a 650 Kawasaki or a 650 Honda made in Thailand. That is the most practical decision in terms of cost, value for money, and overall performance. Plus both bikes have ABS, an important factor. With the Ducati 821 being the perceived favorite, it is more than 50% more in price than the 650cc Japanese bikes and there are looming questions about getting fast and reliable service for Ducati in Thailand. It is also a lot hotter to ride a Ducati for most of the year than the smaller Japanese bikes which are more practical for Thailand's average climate. Plus the Japanese bikes are good at all riding speeds. Ducatis sound and ride much better at faster speeds, but in Thailand you are more often riding slow than fast because of conditions when out on the Thai roads.

If he does actually buy a bike, I'm betting he will end up with either a 650 Kawasaki or a 650 Honda made in Thailand. That is the most practical decision in terms of cost, value for money, and overall performance. Plus both bikes have ABS, an important factor. With the Ducati 821 being the perceived favorite, it is more than 50% more in price than the 650cc Japanese bikes and there are looming questions about getting fast and reliable service for Ducati in Thailand. It is also a lot hotter to ride a Ducati for most of the year than the smaller Japanese bikes which are more practical for Thailand's average climate. Plus the Japanese bikes are good at all riding speeds. Ducatis sound and ride much better at faster speeds, but in Thailand you are more often riding slow than fast because of conditions when out on the Thai roads.

+1

When I bought my V650, I had to follow my brain and not my heart.

As a family man with a kid, my Versys is only a toy used 2-3 times a week (if that) for short trips and I enjoy that.

Cheap to buy and maintain and I fell it has enough power +90% of the time so for me it's win win and no regrets.

One can easily be HP addicted and keep on buying more and more powerful bikes but I again agree that the 650's are the sweet spot size where many will say; it's good fun, good enough and stay in this class.

What repairs did you need?

A pressure sensor in the fuel injection system went bad and the part had to come from Italy. Three weeks from the time I called Pattaya Ducati until I could take the bike in to be worked on and then another five weeks waiting for the parts. Still I was happy to get it back and it is running like new now.

+1

When I bought my V650, I had to follow my brain and not my heart.

As a family man with a kid, my Versys is only a toy used 2-3 times a week (if that) for short trips and I enjoy that.

Cheap to buy and maintain and I fell it has enough power +90% of the time so for me it's win win and no regrets.

One can easily be HP addicted and keep on buying more and more powerful bikes but I again agree that the 650's are the sweet spot size where many will say; it's good fun, good enough and stay in this class.

I hate it when someone writes this because in my opinion its so true ;) and my justification to buy an 821 instead seems ridiculous.

luckily time is on my side until the wallet opens for a new beast

I hate it when someone writes this because in my opinion its so true wink.png and my justification to buy an 821 instead seems ridiculous.

He-he,

Well I got a buddy that rides a Hyperstrada and when he takes of, it goes like a bat out of hell and sounds awesome from the stock exhaust so I can understand why you want a 821.

We all got different situations in our life's, some earn so much money they can buy whatever they want and some got family commitments (like me) and I just can't justify towards my family shelling out so much on a bike.

If you are young and no kids, go for it man, it still cheaper than a tin can Honda/Toyota and waaaaaaay more fun.

Likely next year there should be some 2nd hand 821's on the market so you can perhaps save yourself lots of $$ if you go that way and one must assume the ex owners has taken good care of them unlike the typical scooter owners that normally runs them until they fell apart.

I hate it when someone writes this because in my opinion its so true wink.png and my justification to buy an 821 instead seems ridiculous.

He-he,

Well I got a buddy that rides a Hyperstrada and when he takes of, it goes like a bat out of hell and sounds awesome from the stock exhaust so I can understand why you want a 821.

We all got different situations in our life's, some earn so much money they can buy whatever they want and some got family commitments (like me) and I just can't justify towards my family shelling out so much on a bike.

If you are young and no kids, go for it man, it still cheaper than a tin can Honda/Toyota and waaaaaaay more fun.

Likely next year there should be some 2nd hand 821's on the market so you can perhaps save yourself lots of $$ if you go that way and one must assume the ex owners has taken good care of them unlike the typical scooter owners that normally runs them until they fell apart.

Unfortunately, in terms of disposable income, I got the family package too :)

Its a bottomless money pit.

If I didn't have them I could have a different bike for the day of the week! Ha

Archived