NIDA Poll finds Thais still happy with NCPO

webfact

NIDA Poll finds Thais still happy with NCPO

BANGKOK, 21 May 2015 (NNT) – A latest opinion survey by the National Institute of Development and Administration (NIDA) has found that Thai people are still happy with the leadership of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) over the past year.

The poll is aimed at sounding out the general public’s opinions about the country’s situation now that the NCPO has come to power for one year.

Of the 1,250 respondents, roughly 49 percent said they became happier with their lives following the arrival of the NCPO. Around 41 percent feel no differences. About 10 percent felt less happy. The results of the latest poll were quite similar to that conducted six months ago.

Strengths of the NCPO which Thai people approve of include its determination, ability to bring back political stability, peace and order to society. Shortcomings which have affected Thai people’s confidence in the NCPO are namely economic slowdown, the higher cost of living and the lack of concrete achievements.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-21 footer_n.gif

49.44 percent of people say they are happier now than they were before the coup

21-5-2558-14-43-13-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Almost half of the people polled by Nida Poll said that they are happier after one year in office of the National Council for Peace and Order since last May 22.

Nida or the National Institute of Development Administration sampled the opinions of 1,250 people during May 18-19 regarding national administration and how happy they are after one-year rule under NCPO.

The poll shows 49.44 percent of the respondents admitted they are happier now because the NCPO has spoken the truths, meant business, put the country in order and has put an end to political disturbances.

However, 40. 72 percent of the respondents said they carried on with their lives as usual and pointed out that the NCPO has not succeeded in resolving economic problems.

9.6 percent of the respondents said they were less happy now than they were before the coup because of poor economic situation, high cost of living, restrictions of their free expressions and unresolved political conflicts.

It was pointed out that the recent poll results by Nida Poll were not much different from the results of the poll conducted six months ago.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/49-44-percent-of-people-say-they-are-happier-now-than-they-were-before-the-coup

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-21

"Of the 1,250 respondents, roughly 49 percent said they became happier" What about the other 51% that are not ? whistling.gif

90% are happier or as happy as they were.

Only 10% are less happy, even though you are attempting to infer it is the whole 51%.

I expect that the 10% are the scumbags who see less opportunity to steal from the state now things like the rice scheme have been exposed and stopped.

"Of the 1,250 respondents, roughly 49 percent said they became happier" What about the other 51% that are not ? whistling.gif

90% are happier or as happy as they were.

Only 10% are less happy, even though you are attempting to infer it is the whole 51%.

I expect that the 10% are the scumbags who see less opportunity to steal from the state now things like the rice scheme have been exposed and stopped.

The Junta should seek an election to confirm their popularity.

Approximately five times the amount of people are happier now than are unhappier!!! Pretty impressive, I would say.

That equates to an above 80% approval rating on the happiness front.

Why are so many ex pats living here so negative about everything they can get their hands on? OR is it only those who voice their grumblings here on Thai Visa?

Perhaps these expats weren't raised in the Thai "education" system.

"I was born at night, but not last night."

this is the "LAND OF SMILE" for crying out loud! ... what's difficult to understand the 49% that are happier?

did NIDA interviewed the 10% grumpy old farts sitting around seedy bars all night too? who finding it harder to score with young bar girls and ladyboys since NCPO is putting pressure on human trafficking?

Why are so many ex pats living here so negative about everything they can get their hands on? OR is it only those who voice their grumblings here on Thai Visa?

I live in a village. With Thai people. They don't get sarcasm and/or criticism. That's why I am often negative or cynical on this forum. I have no other way of venting my opinions. Ever tried to talk about negative aspects of Thailand with a Thai person? Can get you killed!

A strong plurality of Thais voted for Peau Thai, which is then overthrown in a coup, and now a majority of Thais are happier than they were before? Thais (or polls) are strange.

Remember the many rice farmer who didn't get their money from the previous government and Prayut paid them....they were surely happy to finally get their money. And many voted PTP for the 500 Baht vote buying but in fact don't care politics at all.

A strong plurality of Thais voted for Peau Thai, which is then overthrown in a coup, and now a majority of Thais are happier than they were before? Thais (or polls) are strange.

They got about 30% IIRC of the last election they forced through under Emergency Law - where many died (as they knew they would) in their attempt to use it as a mandate to hold on to power in the face of the mass protests. An act, ironically, which ultimately led to the coup due to the increasing murders of those same protestors by the UDD terrorists.

And over 90% of the polling stations were open - so don't blame the PDRC.

Still - don't let facts get in the way of your arguments. None of your friends do.

I'm not negative about everything in Thailand! But do you honestly believe a NIDA poll?

I know I am a lot happier now. I'm so happy I think I will show my wife just how happy the junta is making me. I am sure all Thais and foreigners are as happy as me also. NIDA messed this poll up. It should be 80% and not 49%. I am sure to be even happier for the next 45 minutes since its bedtime. I even wake up super happy until I climb out of bed. Then I'm only so-so happy being busy. But ohhh gosh! Do I get ever so happy midday.

Edited by thesetat2013

Remember the many rice farmer who didn't get their money from the previous government and Prayut paid them....they were surely happy to finally get their money. And many voted PTP for the 500 Baht vote buying but in fact don't care politics at all.

Yep, they don't care about politics, but members of opposite sides of the old colour divide poured into Bangkok in their thousands to agitate for political justice/change. Oh wait, sorry .... they were all paid to be there, right? Wait. You mean that PTP used to also come out far ahead on opinion polls? Ah... so someone must have also been paying them for their responses to opinion polls... yeah, I get it.

Remember that the previous caretaker was prevented by the EC from borrowing the funds to pay rice farmers? It was the EC's right to do so under the 2007 Constitution so as not to encumber a newly elected government with unreasonable debt created by the caretaker government.

The only reason that Prayut was able to pay them was because he ABOLISHED the constitution that empowered the EC to deny the previous government from borrowing the funds. Remember that the Junta did borrow the funds by issuing 10-year treasury bonds which becomes a debt burden for all future governments.

And remember the Junta-appointed NLA impeached Yingluck for causing a massive loss of treasury funds USED BY THE JUNTA to pay the farmers. Nothing but a Chinese finger puzzle.

Majority of the Thais that I meet daily at least are happier these days than a year ago. At least they can carry on with their live without having to think about the inconvenient and uncertainty. Whether they support the NCPO is another matter. Sometimes you have to be hard handed to deal with the situation.

For those who uses Singapore and Lee Kuan Yew to compare to Thailand, this is what Lee Kuan Yew said:

"I have never been over concerned or obsessed with opinion polls or popularity polls. I think a leader who is, is a weak leader. Between being loved and being feared, I have always believed Machiavelli was right. If nobody is afraid of me, I’m meaningless.

The Singapore story: memoirs of Lee Kuan Yew (1997)

"I am often accused of interfering in the private lives of citizens. Yes, if I did not, had I not done that, we wouldn't be here today. And I say without the slightest remorse, that we wouldn't be here, we would not have made economic progress, if we had not intervened on very personal matters - who your neighbour is, how you live, the noise you make, how you spit, or what language you use. We decide what is right. Never mind what the people think."
Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, Straits Times, 20 April 1987

I live in a village. With Thai people. They don't get sarcasm and/or criticism. That's why I am often negative or cynical on this forum. I have no other way of venting my opinions. Ever tried to talk about negative aspects of Thailand with a Thai person? Can get you killed!

Indeed, keep smiling, false or not. One learns being here long enough.