Ministry of ICT urging Thais to use internet more creatively

webfact

Ministry of ICT urging Thais to use internet more creatively

BANGKOK, 21 May 2015 (NNT)-The Ministry of Information Communication and Technology (ICT) has revealed that Thailand is the world’s 9th largest Facebook user.

Deputy ICT Minister Somboon Mekpaiboonwattana said at a seminar on digital economy that awareness about online threats and creative use of social media should be raised among internet users.

More than 100 participants from the public and private sectors joined the event that is gearing Thailand towards the digital economy.

According to the survey conducted last year, more than 42% of the Thai population used Facebook. The United Nations has also disclosed that the GDP of any nation would grow by 1.3% for every 10% rise in the number of Facebook users in any given country.

The Deputy ICT Minister also said that the current global economy growth is mostly digitally based. The Thai government is trying to lay a foundation for such growth in Thailand to increase the country’s competitiveness in the global market.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-21 footer_n.gif

What a bizarre way of looking at stats.

Is it the case that countries with a higher GDP simply have citizens that use Facebook more, or is it the case that GDP rises due to increased Facebook usage, as this article implies?

"The United Nations has also disclosed that the GDP of any nation would grow by 1.3% for every 10% rise in the number of Facebook users in any given country."

Really?

So, if Thailand (or any nation) manages to increase the number of facebook users by 10% and there is no increase in GDP, what recourse do we have against the United Nations? cheesy.gif

A cynic might think that the authorities are encouraging Thais to spend all their waking hours on Facebook because it's so much easier to monitor everyone when they are all using the same website....................

More than 100 participants from the public and private sectors joined the event that is gearing Thailand towards the digital economy.

They should give all grade one students a Chinese tablet PC and the problems are solved.

Just looking at the teachers at my school, who're all updating their fb every day/minute/ hour.

They don't even know how to Google something. The hub of digital nomads. facepalm.gif

My better half spends most of her spare time exchanging photos and mindless chat with her mates on Facebook. She'll be thrilled to bits to learn she is helping to raise the country's GDP. Personally, I'd rather she had more time for raising my expectations of dinner and a bit of rumpy-pumpy.

i don't think you need much of brains or creativity to use facebook

the reason of so many murders, job losses & divorces

waiste of time

what do thai people mean with creative ? see a succesfull shop and then start many business the same around the original one till no-one has a good business anymore ?