Tourist Police Dreamworld

brommers

Tonight I received an invitation online from the Tourist Police to cycle for good health. What are these guys smoking?

The roads around Chiang Mai are infested with idiot drivers of motosai, cars, SUV's and trucks. And no police force has the ability or will to enforce the laws. Every day I am surrounded by drivers who endanger others by their selfish, ignorant and irresponsible behaviour.

There is no way that any naive event like this will contribute to lessening the death toll.

I urge anyone who receives this invitation on Line to do like me and send a clear message to the police in memory of those who recently died on the road to Doi Saket.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember the Tourist Police

Are not the POLICE

Have a bit of consideration for their volunteering work

Not put them down

I had no idea they were volunteers. Why would anyone volunteer to help tourists unless they can speak a second language at least quite well.

This is based on my 3 interactions with tourist police in Thailand,

The Thai Tourist Police ARE real policemen and are all (except one) Thai nationals. They are a division of the Royal Thai Police, just as the Traffic Police, Highway Police, City Police, Border Police, and one or two other branches. Under Thai law, any time foreigners are detained for crimes, the Tourist Police are required to be called and be present.

There is also a group of foreign uniformed volunteers who work WITH the Tourist Police, most of whom can speak some Thai as well as one or two other foreign languages. They act as a liaison between the Police and the foreigners having difficulties. They also help foreign tourists with information. In some cities, they actively patrol along with the regular Tourist Police.

The Thai Tourist Police ARE real policemen and are all (except one) Thai nationals. They are a division of the Royal Thai Police, just as the Traffic Police, Highway Police, City Police, Border Police, and one or two other branches. Under Thai law, any time foreigners are detained for crimes, the Tourist Police are required to be called and be present.

There is also a group of foreign uniformed volunteers who work WITH the Tourist Police, most of whom can speak some Thai as well as one or two other foreign languages. They act as a liaison between the Police and the foreigners having difficulties. They also help foreign tourists with information. In some cities, they actively patrol along with the regular Tourist Police.

Have they got a name and how would you get in touch with them?

Exactly what I was thinking.

I have never known any Thai police, tourist or otherwise send personal and direct invitations to anyone. Unless it`s a communal messaged published on facebook, in the social media or a public on-line notice board?

I would be interested to see the said message with the OP`s personal details erased?

Are not the POLICE

Not put them down

Have a bit of consideration for the readers and don't post such incorrect information.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I have never known any Thai police, tourist or otherwise send personal and direct invitations to anyone. Unless it`s a communal messaged published on facebook, in the social media or a public on-line notice board?

I would be interested to see the said message with the OP`s personal details erased?

He was using the Line App on his phone

A Tourist contact comes up if you want them as a freind

Are not the POLICE

Not put them down

Have a bit of consideration for the readers and don't post such incorrect information.

Sorry

I have only had contact with Western Tourist Police

I thought all were volunteers

At the time of its creation, the Royal Thai Tourist Police placed notices in several local tourist magazines, organizing a morning meeting at a hotel to invite those wishing to become Foreign Volunteer Tourist Police Assistants. That was about 10 years ago. The program has taken several ups and downs since then as the concept was refined and the role of these volunteers further defined. At its height, the number of volunteers was about 30 here in Chiang Mai, and they could be seen in the evenings walking the streets of the Night Bazaar, around Thapae Gate, Chiang Mai Gate,Saturday and Sunday Walking Streets, and several major tourist attractions, as well as stationed at the Tourist Police Headquarters. Organizational changes reduced that number when the Tourist Police began 'requiring' a 20-hour per week 'donation.' These days, the organization still exists, but the number of volunteers is significantly reduced.

At no time did the volunteers in Chiang Mai have police powers, nor did they function as 'undercover' moles to ferret out criminals. At all times, the volunteers were simply a liaison between Police and foreign tourists, their main duty was to provide aid to the tourist seeking language, locations, directions, and asked-for assistance.

If you wish further information, or wish to contact this group, a phone call to the Royal Thai Tourist Police will get you there.

Edited by FolkGuitar

At the time of its creation, the Royal Thai Tourist Police placed notices in several local tourist magazines, organizing a morning meeting at a hotel to invite those wishing to become Foreign Volunteer Tourist Police Assistants. That was about 10 years ago. The program has taken several ups and downs since then as the concept was refined and the role of these volunteers further defined. At its height, the number of volunteers was about 30 here in Chiang Mai, and they could be seen in the evenings walking the streets of the Night Bazaar, around Thapae Gate, Chiang Mai Gate,Saturday and Sunday Walking Streets, and several major tourist attractions, as well as stationed at the Tourist Police Headquarters. Organizational changes reduced that number when the Tourist Police began 'requiring' a 20-hour per week 'donation.' These days, the organization still exists, but the number of volunteers is significantly reduced.

At no time did the volunteers in Chiang Mai have police powers, nor did they function as 'undercover' moles to ferret out criminals. At all times, the volunteers were simply a liaison between Police and foreign tourists, their main duty was to provide aid to the tourist seeking language, locations, directions, and asked-for assistance.

If you wish further information, or wish to contact this group, a phone call to the Royal Thai Tourist Police will get you there.

Thanks for sharing that detailed information

Bunch of wannabes who couldn't get to wear the paraphernalia of donut munchers in their home countries...

Bunch of wannabes who couldn't get to wear the paraphernalia of donut munchers in their home countries...

In fact, most of the volunteers did NOT want to wear police-like uniforms. They requested Blazer-style jackets instead. As they were not doing Police duties, they didn't think they should be wearing Police-style uniforms. However that idea was rejected by the Tourist Police. Thais do like military-style uniforms...

That was the standard lie that was pushed out initially.. Since then they have been shown to be actively grassing and providing information on nightlife and bars, used in undercover sting operations, even screwing Uzbek hookers to 'prove' they were hookers, actively done traffic stops and enforcement without police accompaniment, performed detainment, ciffing, pepper spray and arrests..etc etc etc..

I personally am very wary of anyone who wants to pay for their own uniform and gear to 'play' cops and tell others what to do and enforce the law.. Even while they themselves break it (none have ever been issued a work permit for this volunteer work).

Immigration assistants, information services, etc etc.. OK sure.. But the TVP system is misguided and dangerous.

I notice you say 'in chiang mai' and would caveat that as 'were never reported to'..

I notice you say 'in chiang mai' and would caveat that as 'were never reported to'..

I said specifically Chiang Mai as the volunteers here were requested to perform a different function.

As far as 'reports' go, would you please provide a link to the reports of their activities in other cities. Not a link to YouTube or some other ThaiVisa thread, but some valid reporting of their activities. I can't seem to find anything other than third-hand information, a YouTube video of them helping the Police on the Pattaya Walking street, and lots of ThaiVisa comments about wannabes. No facts.

Well you have obviously had dealings with them. Can you detail them for us to make are own judgment?

I said specifically Chiang Mai as the volunteers here were requested to perform a different function.

As far as 'reports' go, would you please provide a link to the reports of their activities in other cities. Not a link to YouTube or some other ThaiVisa thread, but some valid reporting of their activities. I can't seem to find anything other than third-hand information, a YouTube video of them helping the Police on the Pattaya Walking street, and lots of ThaiVisa comments about wannabes. No facts.

You got to be kidding. Facts on Thai Visa when they have an opening to bash.

Would this be like those TukTuk caravans that go around the moat?...

Not to burst their bubble but wouldn't this kind of gathering need approval from the junta?...

And a foreigner volunteer Tourist Police would need a bike license and work permit? coffee1.gif

Edited by sfokevin

I'm quite sure that they aren't that bad. As an organisation the western volunteers seem to be made up of some pretty decent people giving up their time to help the likes of you and I when we need it. Undoubtedly a rotten apple or two and an odd one in it for reasons, but I can't believe that this kind of organisation is all bad.

(And police in UK, Australia, France any country bar the US tend not to eat donuts).

The first 2 sentences are confusing. Are you saying the Tourist Police Division of the Royal Thai Police is about 10 years old?

There was that well documented falang guy in Pattaay who carried a gun and had his car made to look like a police car, went to raids with police etc but didn't end well for him. Forget details so some of these might be wrong but maybe it will jolt someones memory who can find a link (I couldn't)

Anyway I was asked by my village head to be a member of my moo bann (not housing development but volunteer police force in my countryside village) on the outskirts of CM.

Turned it down as I was a newbie and knew no Thai and didn't want to spend a long weekend in the jungle for the training which I imagined was drinking Lao Kho and shooting at anything that moves esp. as it's so difficult hitting those fast moving trees!

But back to Pattaya, once I parked at 7/11 and ran in for a water came out and they had put a barrier in the stores parking lot around my rental motorbike that said xxx amount to park. Anyway went into police station next door and the tourist police totally sided with the guy who wanted money for parking. He didn't blink an eye just sided with the local mafia. I know Pattaya is a different animal then CM but this kind of behaviour doesn't help the tourist police anywhere in the country.

Edited by junglechef

The first 2 sentences are confusing. Are you saying the Tourist Police Division of the Royal Thai Police is about 10 years old?

No, the volunteer foreigner group is, but actually, it's really closer to 12 years old. The Royal Thai Tourist Police were in existence long before that.

Would this be like those TukTuk caravans that go around the moat?...

Not to burst their bubble but wouldn't this kind of gathering need approval from the junta?...

And a foreigner volunteer Tourist Police would need a bike license and work permit? coffee1.gif

It does make you wonder... We know that according to Thai law, volunteer work requires work permits, yet the Tourist Police volunteers have been functioning for 12+ years, side by side with Royal Thai Police, serving on the street and inside Police Headquarters without permits.

Perhaps it's one of those laws that the Police have decided should be amended but hasn't happened as yet, so they just ignore it, deciding that the benefits to foreign visitors is worth the price. There is no question that a lot of visitors (as well as resident expats) have been helped by the presence of the volunteers.

But back to Pattaya, once I parked at 7/11 and ran in for a water came out and they had put a barrier in the stores parking lot around my rental motorbike that said xxx amount to park.

It sounds as if the barrier was moveable. Why didn't you just move it yourself?