Motorcycling In Cambodia

matman

I apologise in advance, as I'm sure these questions have been asked previously but as things and requirements can change on a daily basis I'd like to pose the question again.

I first visited Cambodia on a trip to Siem Reap in 2007, waiting for onward transport at the border I saw no evidence of vehicular traffic crossing the border, just many locals ferrying goods to and fro across the border in old carts.

I visited Siem Reap again in 2010 and again whilst waiting at the border the situation appeared to be the same with no vehicles crossing the border in either direction.

Last year 2014 my partner and I went to visit the market at the border, we went there on my motorbike. There appeared to be considerable construction at the border, a new road was under construction, and I could see considerable vehicular movement crossing the border, trucks, pick ups, cars, bikes.

My question therefor is, is it now possible to enter Cambodia from Thailand on ones own motorcycle (registered in Thailand) to tour the country, and if so what are the current requirements and documentation that would be required, and how does one go about obtaining them

Many thanks in anticipation

I did this trip about 2 years ago on my Yamaha Nouvo. At the border I gave them by Greenbook, and Passport. They did the paperwork quickly and easily. Rode through the country from South to North. I would not do it alone next time though. 12 hours from border to Phnom Penh, and I don't remember seeing anywhere to get a flat tire fixed. But, I will never forget the trip. Had a great time. As mentioned above, it is illegal to drive a motorbike in Cambodia during the day with your headlights on. Either install a toggle switch to turn them off, or tape magazine covers over your headlights, which I did. Enjoy

I agree chain & padlock are a good idea. However, every hotel I stayed at on my trip locked my bike with all the others, using a chain the size of what ships use for their anchors. They also had someone there watching the bikes 24/7. Felt very secure, in an unsafe motorcycle environment.

I agree chain & padlock are a good idea. However, every hotel I stayed at on my trip locked my bike with all the others, using a chain the size of what ships use for their anchors. They also had someone there watching the bikes 24/7. Felt very secure, in an unsafe motorcycle environment.

That chain must do wonders to the chrome/painted wheels . I'd rather secure my own bike then nobody touches it.

The hotel that I stayed in in SR had a night guard too, like you said and it was a cheap place.

One of those 1.5m x ~12mm vinyl self-coiling steel cables is easy on the wheel finish.

Need be they can run the anchor chain thru that maybe.

Also, that way my bike is not secured up by them, from me.

I add an alarm disc lock.

[keeps the boys from sitting on it]

I like my bike.

Take a tubeless-tire plug kit too, if applicable.

Edited by papa al

Many thanks to those who contributed useful information, particularly about lights in daytime. I would intend crossing into Cambodia at Poipet, I've only crossed here previously on foot. Can anyone who has crossed here on a bike take me through the procedure, as I assume one does not go through as a foot passenger then go back to bring the bike in.

Many thanks in anticipation

At chon chom I parked up did my outward stamps etc, then went to Thai customs office who inspected bike then gave me export doc.

Ride across no-mans land then do usual entrance visa for yourself. Then visit Cambodian customs, give them export doc. They recheck bike, produce import doc. You have to get a copy of export doc for you to hold with Cambodian doc I case stopped by police (apparently?)

The whole process probably took 40 mins and was FREE!!!

Edited by DILLIGAD