Tefl Certificates

mijan24

Also check with the MoE as they've recently started rejecting certain TEFL certificate.....so make sure the one you do is going to be recognised by them!

I read the above in another post and was wondering if anyone has experienced having a TEFL Certificate rejected or does anyone have any news on the institutions whose courses/certificates are not being accepted by the MoE?

Yes, I'm a little concerned about this too. Seems like the only thing to do is ask them. I can find any information about it on their website, Thai MoE, but you can find a number to call them up and ask yourself though, sorry I can't be more of a help. I'll ask my girlfriend to call them tomorrow and I'll update if I find any information then. Maybe one of the more experienced forummers knows a little more though? :o

They might reject the ones that don't meet internationally recognized standards - 120 training hours and 6 observed teaching practicums - such as online courses or these 'teach 3 months and get a free TEFL certificate' courses.

But I doubt it.

There are literally hundreds of course providers across the world so how would the MOE administer any check list. There's already a shortage of TEFL teachers in Thailand.

Yes, I'm a little concerned about this too. Seems like the only thing to do is ask them. I can find any information about it on their website, Thai MoE, but you can find a number to call them up and ask yourself though, sorry I can't be more of a help. I'll ask my girlfriend to call them tomorrow and I'll update if I find any information then. Maybe one of the more experienced forummers knows a little more though? :o

You could call the Ministry of Education at: 0-2281-6206, 0-2281-7185, 0-2282-9262. Miss Mathurath is helped me. She is very pleasant and speaks English very well.

You could call the Ministry of Education at: 0-2281-6206, 0-2281-7185, 0-2282-9262. Miss Mathurath helped me; not with the above, but with another issue. She is very pleasant and speaks English very well.

Edited by mbkudu

Yes, I'm a little concerned about this too. Seems like the only thing to do is ask them. I can find any information about it on their website, Thai MoE, but you can find a number to call them up and ask yourself though, sorry I can't be more of a help. I'll ask my girlfriend to call them tomorrow and I'll update if I find any information then. Maybe one of the more experienced forummers knows a little more though? :D

You could call the Ministry of Education at: 0-2281-6206, 0-2281-7185, 0-2282-9262. Miss Mathurath helped me; not with the above, but with another issue. She is very pleasant and speaks English very well.

Why thank you very much. You've just saved me a job tonight. I'll be calling her tomorrow morning. If I had a hat, I would tip it in your direction sir, but instead you'll have to do with this wai and imagine he's tipping his hat too. :o

Ah, ok. OP is from a post by Kenkannif in the Q about Q thread. So chances are it's a good source.

:o

Have had a couple of e-mails and phone calls about it (not tons and tons, but enough not to be a one off).

Will try and get further info (although I don't think the rejects are consistent enough).

So, my girlfriend was just on the phone to someone in the MoE who said that they don't accept online TEFL courses and they actually only accept the certificates from Text-and-Talk and ECC. She wasn't particularly nice and didn't know what a work permit is. This information took about 1/2 an hour to get after being shunted around from department to department. Oh, I've tried to call Miss Matharath as a previous poster suggested, but as yet I haven't had anyone pick up the phone from any of the

numbers.

To make matters even more (or less) confusing, after looking on the same website as PB did for his previous post, many of the new job postings state a degree the requirement and a TEFL as a bonus. So basically, in a nutshell, I've still no idea what to do about getting certified.

(Sorry if I sound negative today!)

So, my girlfriend was just on the phone to someone in the MoE who said that they don't accept online TEFL courses and they actually only accept the certificates from Text-and-Talk and ECC. She wasn't particularly nice and didn't know what a work permit is. This information took about 1/2 an hour to get after being shunted around from department to department. Oh, I've tried to call Miss Matharath as a previous poster suggested, but as yet I haven't had anyone pick up the phone from any of the

numbers.

(Sorry if I sound negative today!)

LoL

The MoE have never refused a 120 hour 6-practice-hours course certificate.

T&T and ECC may be the only names this person in this office had heard of. And ECC is not even the name of a TEFL certificate/course. Wonderful that she hasn't even heard of a wp. Amazing Thailand!

Edited by Loaded

Here's the scoop from a Thai friend: The MOE says that they will accept only TEFL's from T & T and another school who's name I've forgotten. However, they will also accept virtually any TEFL from outside of Thailand or from a school inside of Thailand that is accredited by an international organization.

Clear as mud, as usual! :o

BTW, they accepted my online TEFL because the 'school' that offers it is based in the UK and is accredited there.

Here's the scoop from a Thai friend: The MOE says that they will accept only TEFL's from T & T and another school who's name I've forgotten. However, they will also accept virtually any TEFL from outside of Thailand or from a school inside of Thailand that is accredited by an international organization.

Clear as mud, as usual! :o

BTW, they accepted my online TEFL because the 'school' that offers it is based in the UK and is accredited there.

"my Thai friend said..." ?????

If the TEFL Centre has a school licence which has a TEFL curriculum attached, it has ALREADY been approved by the MoE. There are quite a few in Thailand. Give me the name of someone who has had their certificate rejected?

As usual, do your homework, and if in doubt call the MOE and ask them if they accept the cert.

Good advice

Good advice in theory, but as I found out, maybe not exactly practical. I already mentioned, it took about half an hour of my girlfriend being shunted from department to department to get any information at all. If anyone has any information about who or where to call, it maybe helpful to others in the future.

Although it depends on who you speak to there...they can and will turn some down.

Such as?

Such as the ones they don't accept mate.

When?

Over the least two months.

Where?

Here in Bangkok.

You're creating a scare story that seems to benefit T&T. Why?

I've not mentioned any providers mate....I'm just saying they have started turning some down....nowt more, nowt less.

I know the ones that are being recommended, but it's not my place to tell people what not, or what to do.....so they can check themselves.

Do you have any connection to T&T?

No, mate I post what I know is all. You'll see I often tell people to do the proper TEFL Int. course etc.

Basically you need to call the department in the MoE that issues the teachers licence....if they won't issue one 'cos of the cert you hold then it really doesn't matter what anyone else there says (that's the problem).

I am taking, no doubt, one of their disfavoured courses, as not enough money or time for the 'recommended' full course. I'm a convinced devotee of distance learning, and hence now online also, for the theoretical part of courses, especially for mature students, with prior experience and/or quals. (But I know what may be said - TIT).

But, anyway, do the officials at MOE have discretion to take into account prior teacher training?

I intend to approach the college that runs my course and see if they are aware of this development, and whether they are making representations. Is this happening, to anyone's knowledge? They could use the argument that many may go to other countries where they get more pay anyway, and their certificates are accepted! They'd need to provide the supporting evidence.

^I don't quite understand your last paragraph, there.

If you have formal, actual, real past coursework in education at the college level- even if you haven't finished a full B.Ed or M.Ed- that's quite a good thing by Ministry standards. The text of the qualification requirement for teaching in MEP's is something like "degree in the relevant subject plus 15 credit hours of educational courses at the college level or the equivalent," where most MEP teachers cobble something together for "the equivalent."

"Steven"

^I don't quite understand your last paragraph, there.

If you have formal, actual, real past coursework in education at the college level- even if you haven't finished a full B.Ed or M.Ed- that's quite a good thing by Ministry standards. The text of the qualification requirement for teaching in MEP's is something like "degree in the relevant subject plus 15 credit hours of educational courses at the college level or the equivalent," where most MEP teachers cobble something together for "the equivalent."

"Steven"

This what I was thinking. If someone has a degree in education, why does the MOE even bother asking for a TEFL certificate? If a person has any bachelor's degree, is a TEFL certificate even required by anyone? I could see a school asking for one as a nice supplement to a resume, but is a TEFL actually required to get a WP and license if one already has a degree?

No, not actually. I was an example of this, while I was still doing TEFL as the main thing. However, I had experience from another country to apply.

So, what's the deal with the title of this post? How can they reject something they don't even need to

look at or care about?

^ Mate it can depend entirely on who, what and where you are teaching. It's possible to get a WP without one (as it is with a degree) but sometimes it's not. Same as with the 15 hours....sometimes you'll get rejected 'cos you don't have them....sometimes you won't.

Often this will apply more to language schools. But yeah I know people holding degrees that have been told via their employer by the MoE (or shall we say an individual at the MoE) that they must have one.

This is the problem mate....no one (including those at the MoE) really knows what's 100% needed as nothing really is, until it is!

Fun huh???