High household debt takes the fizz out of Thai beer market

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to add regarding Brit drinkers. Average alcohol content used to be about 3.5% for beer. Travel abroad to a hot humid country and down the same quantity of 5% beer and question quality. I would question IQ.

I wonder what kind of preservatives they put in Thai beer? because it seems the beer can be kept forever in 36+ degrees Celsius temperatures?

Preservatives and what else? Anyone know? None of this shit can be called 'beer'. I was going to take a bottle of Singha back to the UK to have it analysed, but the cost of such turned out to be prohibitive.

I believe that they used to put formalin in Singha as preservative, but not allowed in EU, hence difference in flavour of Singha overseas.

Anyone know if they still use it?

Formulin in beer is a wife's tale.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Even the Thais are aware they spray it on everything from fish to veg to 'keep it looking fresh'. A friend told me he'd had a fish in his 'fridge for three days and it still looked as fresh as the day he bought it, so he threw it out. Another friend, when visiting Oz, visited a local hospital about his blurring eyesight. The doctor asked if he'd been in Thailand ..

I wonder what kind of preservatives they put in Thai beer? because it seems the beer can be kept forever in 36+ degrees Celsius temperatures?

Preservatives and what else? Anyone know? None of this shit can be called 'beer'. I was going to take a bottle of Singha back to the UK to have it analysed, but the cost of such turned out to be prohibitive.

I believe that they used to put formalin in Singha as preservative, but not allowed in EU, hence difference in flavour of Singha overseas.

Anyone know if they still use it?

Formulin in beer is a wife's tale.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Even the Thais are aware they spray it on everything from fish to veg to 'keep it looking fresh'. A friend told me he'd had a fish in his 'fridge for three days and it still looked as fresh as the day he bought it, so he threw it out. Another friend, when visiting Oz, visited a local hospital about his blurring eyesight. The doctor asked if he'd been in Thailand ..

Yeah. Is it true they use Formulin?

Yeah. Is it true they use Formulin?

I'm unable to say with certainty they put it in the beer as, as I said in a previous post, the cost of having it analyzed was too expensive. However, it's certainly used on foodstuffs. Who's going to stop them? No health and safety here. But here's a pretty comprehensive list of it's toxic effects. I've definitely had mild doses of at least three of them http://jem.rupress.org/content/6/4-6/487.abstract

I only drink over priced ( over taxed ) Youngs london Gold Youngs special London Wells Bomardier Wells Bombardier Burning gold and Oettinger Black Beer But then again I do not mind spending more to get what I likewhistling.gifclap2.gif

Yes, all the local stuff is catpiss rubbish. The Japanese make the only decent beer in Asia and it's blown out of the market by protectionism.

I only drink over priced ( over taxed ) Youngs london Gold Youngs special London Wells Bomardier Wells Bombardier Burning gold and Oettinger Black Beer But then again I do not mind spending more to get what I likewhistling.gifclap2.gif

Yes, all the local stuff is catpiss rubbish. The Japanese make the only decent beer in Asia and it's blown out of the market by protectionism.

Not sure how to interpret cat piss.Percent alcohol or general taste?

I have to add regarding Brit drinkers. Average alcohol content used to be about 3.5% for beer. Travel abroad to a hot humid country and down the same quantity of 5% beer and question quality. I would question IQ.

The Danes, who make excellent beer, was in the past visited daily by hordes of thirsty Swedes (because of the very high tax on liquor in Sweden at the time). The Swedes would buy all they could and go back to Sweden. The Danes produced a beer especially for Swedish customers which they would not touch themselves, it had 16% alcohol by addition, tasted like shit but the Swedes couldn't care less because for them it was all about the percentagerolleyes.gif

And the name of the beer was "Elephant beer". 555 (compare to "Chang" nudge....nudge..).

Edited by AlQaholic

The Danes, who make excellent beer, was in the past visited daily by hordes of thirsty Swedes (because of the very high tax on liquor in Sweden at the time). The Swedes would buy all they could and go back to Sweden. The Danes produced a beer especially for Swedish customers which they would not touch themselves, it had 16% alcohol by addition, tasted like shit but the Swedes couldn't care less because for them it was all about the percentagerolleyes.gif

And the name of the beer was "Elephant beer". 555 (compare to "Chang" nudge....nudge..).

16%. Headache thinking about it. Came across Elephant beer in Bournmouth UK. Needed to ride home so did not parcipitate.

The beer market here isn't great due to regulations. It would be wonderful to have micro brews like most other countries have. Or at least cheaper beer! smile.png

I think to recall that Hopf brewhouse in Pattaya is a micro brewery, but I don't think they are any cheaper than what is available elsewhere.

They tried one on Phuket. It bombed. Even micro breweries produce shit here.

The beer market here isn't great due to regulations. It would be wonderful to have micro brews like most other countries have. Or at least cheaper beer! smile.png

I think to recall that Hopf brewhouse in Pattaya is a micro brewery, but I don't think they are any cheaper than what is available elsewhere.

Born pessimist. Thais can do nothing right.

True that smile.png Great cooks and surgeons though.

True that smile.png Great cooks and surgeons though.

Sooner or later they will make a beer you like. Copy a beer Lao dark?

Not sure how to interpret cat piss.Percent alcohol or general taste?

Both. Too thin and sweet. Aside from the boutique beers mentioned before, the Japanese dry style is more my taste but I guess it's a very subjective thing. Some people like sweet wine or southern comfort

I'm with Kalbo 123'

In my local supermarket (France) I can get excellent German and Belgian beer cheaper than Singha. A couple of months ago, they had a Thai week. Cans of Tiger were selling cheaper than the 7/11 in CM. I have a friend from CM coming to visit me and I have laid up 32 cans of the stuff for him.

Archa only 27 baht smile.png

But Archa is only 330 ml..... I can get a litre of Gasohol for 29 baht...and the Gasohol tastes better too.

We loved the beer we got in Czech, 100B for micro brew. 500ml mugs. Right on a river in a beautiful city. Great...except for the snow in winter. tongue.png

The US is doing some great micro brews also. Soooooo many. Hard to enjoy them all!

There are a number of microbreweries in Pattaya, I went into one of those once, beer tasted like shit!

Those micro breweries are 100% illegal due to Thai law. Much like other illegal activities, they are somehow missed by the authorities. Unlike other illegal activities, the people that want it to be illegal (Chang and Singha) have the money to make sure the authorities will act if the micro breweries start stealing any significant market share.

For Hopf on Beach road in Pattaya I'm very sure they are legal and they pay very high taxes over imported ingredients. The tax is related to the amount of beer you can brew in servings of the imported ingredients. They are also not allowed to serve the beer anywhere else than in their shop. Even if you would take a glass outside they could be in trouble already.

Never heard of it, but if they serve it in house, it could be legal. They have one in Bangkok called Tawandang that does legally sell some decent brews on premises. I assumed you meant they were being sold on the street or in stores. That would be illegal. My mistake.

Edited by FloridaExport

If a bar in Cambodia can sell a 330 ml/12oz pint of local beer for 15-30 baht and both brewer and bar make money, then Thai brewers are making fortunes.

On a bit of a looser if you think 330 ml or 12oz is a pint.

I know exactly what a pint is. That's why I specified the volume. Most draft beers in Cambodia are served in 12 oz glasses. Shorthand, a pint.

If a bar in Cambodia can sell a 330 ml/12oz pint of local beer for 15-30 baht and both brewer and bar make money, then Thai brewers are making fortunes.

On a bit of a looser if you think 330 ml or 12oz is a pint.

I know exactly what a pint is. That's why I specified the volume. Most draft beers in Cambodia are served in 12 oz glasses. Shorthand, a pint.

Not sure about USA but in UK a pint is 20 oz.

Please do not forget to change hands at 100.