High household debt takes the fizz out of Thai beer market

webfact

We have no household debt, maybe beer market not doing so good because i do not drink anymore.

I quit last November only to realize now that I have done damage to the Thai beer market. Time to have some Singha again. All for Thailand!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beer market here isn't great due to regulations. It would be wonderful to have micro brews like most other countries have. Or at least cheaper beer! smile.png

There are a number of microbreweries in Pattaya, I went into one of those once, beer tasted like shit!

Those micro breweries are 100% illegal due to Thai law. Much like other illegal activities, they are somehow missed by the authorities. Unlike other illegal activities, the people that want it to be illegal (Chang and Singha) have the money to make sure the authorities will act if the micro breweries start stealing any significant market share.

For Hopf on Beach road in Pattaya I'm very sure they are legal and they pay very high taxes over imported ingredients. The tax is related to the amount of beer you can brew in servings of the imported ingredients. They are also not allowed to serve the beer anywhere else than in their shop. Even if you would take a glass outside they could be in trouble already.

I wonder what kind of preservatives they put in Thai beer? because it seems the beer can be kept forever in 36+ degrees Celsius temperatures?

Only Heineken has probably a lot of chemicals, the other beers taste horrible after 2 to 3 months.

What if they doubled the price across the board......maybe that would help with the drinking and driving deaths......make it real costly. Get rid of the permanent tourists here on ed visas.

The three corporations mentioned have 100% of the Thai beer market, according to the statistics. Effectively this means that imported beer and the rare Thai microbrews account for under 1% of beer sales in this country. Sad, but unlike the craft beer boom in many countries, I just can't see anything changing in a country where the biggest players have so much political influence.

A typical example of how a few families farm the country at the expense of all the others who are kept poor and stupid.

The three corporations mentioned have 100% of the Thai beer market, according to the statistics. Effectively this means that imported beer and the rare Thai microbrews account for under 1% of beer sales in this country. Sad, but unlike the craft beer boom in many countries, I just can't see anything changing in a country where the biggest players have so much political influence.

A typical example of how a few families farm the country at the expense of all the others who are kept poor and stupid.

The poor cannot afford beer. They drink Lao Khao.

Simple case of a monopolized market. Products expensive and its poor quality. The only thing that will make them improve the product and price is competition from others. Will it be allowed to happen??

Hardly!!

Since the heiress of Singha is a strong supporter of the current leadership.

Remember her speeches on Suthep's stage, claiming that rural people were too stupid to vote.

Her family officially distanced themselves from her (could hurt sales) and at the same time continued to sponsor the fake monks roadshow!!

Simple case of a monopolized market. Products expensive and its poor quality. The only thing that will make them improve the product and price is competition from others. Will it be allowed to happen??

I have asked this same question about butter and cheese since 1983, and things haven't changed. Ask again in 30 year's time.

basically its a third world country with U.K. plus prices, for the beer, and as to the watered down jack-cokes, i can drink these all bloody night and not get pissed, try that in the UK. can anyone answer,? is/are there any "weights and measures" body in Thailand, on my reckoning, i very much doubt it.

A national emergency!!

Household dept has got so bad, that the the citizens can't afford to increase their beer consumption!!

If Art 44 was ever needed, it is now.........................burp.gif

Everybody can see when i'm drunk but nobody see's when i'm thirsty

Beer is very profitable as are soft drinks. That's how those companies got huge and wealthy and why so many microbreweries flourish in the US.

I have friends that make it for fun especially to play with taste. They just use a 5 gallon crock for each batch and make it in the kitchen. They do buy brewers' yeast and also hops for flavor.

Maybe if the Thai's had a decent beer on the market I'd buy more of it. All Thai beers are crap in my opinion. I'd rather drink something decent but drink less of it than drink chang leo or singha..

IMHO the household debt, is caused by having to pay for the car they got on the cheap, and now the crunch has set in, many could not afford the car purchase but still went ahead, as once again it was a "lose face" thing.not the "we can't afford it" thinking. " we cant be seen to be riding around on a scooter when our neighbours have a new car." i bet household debt is taken up by a huge % of car repayments.

The beer market here isn't great due to regulations. It would be wonderful to have micro brews like most other countries have. Or at least cheaper beer! smile.png

Exactly, beer brewing is reserved for the privileged in Thai society. Another benefit for the elite. When outside of Thailand, I make a point of NOT drinking Thai beer. These people are pathetically lazy as well. China in dominated by Budweiser . In the land of Ching Dao, all you can get is Bud. Thai beer only seems common in Cambodia and Singapore where you have better choices. No Thai brand can stand up to Beer Lao. Beer Lao I hear is cheaper in Taiwan than in Thailand. The Thai beer Titans are weenies outside of protectionist Thailand

Edited by yellowboat

I wonder what kind of preservatives they put in Thai beer? because it seems the beer can be kept forever in 36+ degrees Celsius temperatures?

Preservatives and what else? Anyone know? None of this shit can be called 'beer'. I was going to take a bottle of Singha back to the UK to have it analysed, but the cost of such turned out to be prohibitive.

Hardly!!

Since the heiress of Singha is a strong supporter of the current leadership.

Remember her speeches on Suthep's stage, claiming that rural people were too stupid to vote.

Her family officially distanced themselves from her (could hurt sales) and at the same time continued to sponsor the fake monks roadshow!!

Yes JOC and the previous government did so much to liberalize the beer market. Don't drag politics into this they all love monopolies.

Anyway if people cant afford beer let them drink water.

And it doesn't go flat overnight in the fridge.

I have a couple of cans that have been sitting in the back of the fridge for exactly a year. Anyone want to come round and try them? :)

Was in the Netherlands last week, also a country with high "fun" taxes, still the price of a case of beer, 24 bottles is 10 Euro, about 360 Baht, so 15 Baht per bottle.

Could it be that the price of Thai (lower quality) beer is a bit to high?

Guess I would think so, but then what do I know........cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Topics on alcohol always attract a lot of responses. My observations are that a large number of Thais do not drink alcohol. The minority that do drink to excess.

Ever been to a Thai Card Game? Get real......gigglem.gifgigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Yes, house across the road runs one. My observations are from a real living here point of view. Different locations will differ. First appearances are not always correct.