Zenfone 2 released in Thailand TODAY

First 24 hours:

Battery: After maybe an hour of doing nothing, it drops to 97%. I disabled some apps, including weather. Did not help.

Speed: Very fast. I had maybe 25 windows open. Not an issue at all!

Back button: Hard to get used to it, as it is on the far left.

Power button on top: Used too many Samsungs in my life!

Camera: Superb, and the camera app has tons of features to it, all that the touch of a button on the lower left of the camera screen. Auto, manual, hrd, beautification, super resolution, low light, night, depth of field, effect, selfie, gif animation, panorama, miniature, time rewind, panosphere, smart remove, all smiles and time lapse. Enough for the rest of us! Hardly any delay after the button is pressed. Stabilisation options for camera and video while using the app.

Sound: Very nice, crisp, some nice new ring tones.

Apps: way too many. To remove them, you need to root it. Sucks to high heaven.

System update: 3 in one day. They are on it!!! See link above.

Got a free back case and screen protector.

Will report more later.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First 24 hours:

Battery: After maybe an hour of doing nothing, it drops to 97%. I disabled some apps, including weather. Did not help.

Speed: Very fast. I had maybe 25 windows open. Not an issue at all!

Back button: Hard to get used to it, as it is on the far left.

Power button on top: Used too many Samsungs in my life!

Camera: Superb, and the camera app has tons of features to it, all that the touch of a button on the lower left of the camera screen. Auto, manual, hrd, beautification, super resolution, low light, night, depth of field, effect, selfie, gif animation, panorama, miniature, time rewind, panosphere, smart remove, all smiles and time lapse. Enough for the rest of us! Hardly any delay after the button is pressed. Stabilisation options for camera and video while using the app.

Sound: Very nice, crisp, some nice new ring tones.

Apps: way too many. To remove them, you need to root it. Sucks to high heaven.

System update: 3 in one day. They are on it!!! See link above.

Got a free back case and screen protector.

Will report more later.

Thank you for taking the time to write your update and review.

Please keep us posted.

• 5 months later...

Does anybody actually know what the thinking is behind the use of non-removable batteries by so many manufacturers? They must think they have a pretty good reason.

Like it or not, a significent part of the market sees fashionable design as important and Apple have paved the way with integrated battery. Add in the fact that most are only going to keep their current phone for 2 years max and the need for removable battery becomes something superfluous. There will still remain manufacturers going the separate route but ASUS does not appear to be one of them.

The newer and lower priced ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser models, both the 5 and 5.5 inch versions for 5000 to 6000 baht right now, both have REMOVEABLE Li-Po batteries.

When I checked back online tonight, suddenly, ITrueMart's website had versions of the ZE550KL back in stock again. So, I canceled my prior COD order with them for a ZE500KL and placed a new order for the 550, which is the 5.5 inch screen and 3000 mAh battery LTE version.

With the offered 10% discount code on top of the 5990b sale price, the total came to just under 5400b including free delivery and pay COD.

After I ordered the red version, their website now shows the red 550 as being out of stock again. But they still are showing the black version as available. Sale and discount code offer running thru Dec. 18.

Kind of hard to keep track of Zenphone-2's now with all the model variants appearing in assorted markets. Different combinations of SOC's, RAM & ROM, display size, pixel density, battery power and removability as well as camera configurations makes for a confusing mix. Can't tell the players without a scorecard.

Agree about that...

Here's my cheat-sheet:

--The Laser versions are the lower priced versions. The straight Zenfone 2 are the higher priced version. The Selfie series are middle priced between the two.

--The model numbers ending in KL mean LTE equipped. The ending model numbers KG mean 3G only.

--The XXX number series typically relate to the screen size in inches, so the 500 is 5 in., 550 is 5.5 in and I believe there's a 600 that's 6 inches.

But yes, there also appear to be some differences among country of sale.

I'm still trying to figure out why much of the material and info out there on the base 5 inch, LTE Laser model ZE500KL talks about it having a 2400 mAh battery, whereas most of the units for sale, including here in Thailand, have only a 2070 mAh battery.

Agree about that...

Here's my cheat-sheet:

--The Laser versions are the lower priced versions. The straight Zenfone 2 are the higher priced version. The Selfie series are middle priced between the two.

--The model numbers ending in KL mean LTE equipped. The ending model numbers KG mean 3G only.

--The XXX number series typically relate to the screen size in inches, so the 500 is 5 in., 550 is 5.5 in and I believe there's a 600 that's 6 inches.

But yes, there also appear to be some differences among country of sale.

I'm still trying to figure out why much of the material and info out there on the base 5 inch, LTE Laser model ZE500KL talks about it having a 2400 mAh battery, whereas most of the units for sale, including here in Thailand, have only a 2070 mAh battery.

555...Looks like you're going to have to get an expandable cheat-sheet. I just read online that Asus expects to introduce yet another line of ARM SOC based phones with mid-range Snapdragon processors and 3gb RAM at CES in January...Same event they launched the Zenphone-2 last year.

I eventually decided not to go with a Zenphone-2. I have a Zenphone-5 that I now use as a back-up and the 2000 mAh battery is a big issue on that phone and I'm sure it would be on the models with the 2070mAh. Asus phones are packed with SO much bloatware and it's hard to control all sorts of stuff running in the background which eats battery life considerably.

Edited by dddave

I've had the 5.5 inch ZE550KL for a couple days now. Not switched my SIM yet, but pretty much finished setting it up and getting all my apps and log-ins/accounts established.

A few thoughts:

--It's certainly a nice phone on the exterior, stylish, easy to hold, feels solid but not heavy, good screen.

--After finishing setup on this 16 GB model, the Storage app shows as follows: System reserved for the OS of about 5 GB, my apps and other stuff about 5 GB, and free space remaining about 5 GB. And that's without me, as yet, having installed any microSD card for added storage.

--With all the apps I use now installed, and I use a lot, it seems as though the 2 MB of RAM is going to be fine for this phone, especially when I disabled auto-run on a lot of the apps that don't need to be running in the background. See below for more info on that.

--The 3000 mAh battery on the 550 model seems like it's going to do very well in terms of run time. (Re Dave's comment above, I'm also glad I canceled my order for the 5 inch ZE500KL with the 2070 mAh battery, and went with the larger size/higher capacity version)

--ASUS has promised an Android 6.0 update for the OS in the coming months.

--In terms of bloatware, ASUS in their current OS (5.0.2 after 3 system updates out of the box) seems to have done a couple good things:

a. Just by pressing and holding the icon for any app I didn't want/need, I got two choices -- 1. to completely uninstall it, or 2. to disable it and remove it from the app drawer. I like that!

b. ASUS Zen UI includes one of their apps called Auto Start Manager, which allows you to turn on or off the auto start/run feature for pretty much every individual app on the phone, including ASUS own apps, as well as Google ones and 3rd party downloads. There's a list of all apps and then an on/off toggle for each one. So, if you use that, the apps are still on your phone and working, but they won't run in the background until/unless you launch them. Like that too!

-- Speaker volume seems decently loud for music, and in another nice ASUS app, there's an Audio Wizard app with different equalizer presets for common uses like movies, voice, music, etc....

A couple things I don't like thus far, but suppose I will learn to live with:

--The power button on the top edge of the phone. I don't mind the location there, and I've had past phones with the power button in the same position. However, in this case, ASUS has made the button pretty low-profile and with not that much travel/spring upon pushing, And that's making it kind of difficult to get a solid, secure press when just using one hand on the phone. Right now, I'm typically having to hold the phone in one hand and then use the other hand to securely press the power button. Hopefully I'll adjust to the tactile touch of that as I get more used to the phone.

--The volume rocker placement on the back side of the phone below the camera and the flash. These buttons are a bit easier and better tactile press, although the rocker itself is almost flush with the back of the phone, making it a bit difficult to just find/feel by touch. But, at least for me, the bigger issue is I have large hands and long fingers. So when I hold the phone in one hand, my index and middle finger tips are up near the top edge of the phone, making it difficult to hit the volume rocker placed lower down on the phone. Perhaps someone with smaller hands/shorter fingers wouldn't have the same issue.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The ones from ITrueMart are unlocked and have the full range of 3G and LTE frequency bands.

Dunno about any that True Move may be selling themselves.

Did you buy your ZenFone from itruemart? I am looking for a ZenFone 2 but I want WW sku not TH. I have a ZenFone 5 that is TH sku and it does not have all 4g frequencies which is a problem in the UK. The advert on itruemart says only that it has 4g.

http://m.itruemart.com/en/products/detail/asus-zenfone-2-64gb-4g-2902939480441.html

The ones from ITrueMart are unlocked and have the full range of 3G and LTE frequency bands.

Dunno about any that True Move may be selling themselves.

Did you buy your ZenFone from itruemart? I am looking for a ZenFone 2 but I want WW sku not TH. I have a ZenFone 5 that is TH sku and it does not have all 4g frequencies which is a problem in the UK. The advert on itruemart says only that it has 4g.

http://m.itruemart.com/en/products/detail/asus-zenfone-2-64gb-4g-2902939480441.html

I did buy my ZE550KL from ITrueMart, and as I mentioned above, the one thing I haven't done yet is load it with my SIM. Probably do that tomorrow.

But, at least for the ZE550KL, if you look at the ASUS Thailand website and page for the 550KL, it shows a breakdown of the mobile frequency bands, and only shows different LTE band sets for WW (Worldwide), TW-JP (Taiwan-Japan), and CN-IN (China-India). Even the ASUS Thailand website doesn't show any different TH variant in terms of LTE banding.

http://store.asus.com/th/item/201511DM020000019

post-58284-0-26043500-1450356404_thumb.j

And then, when I check the "About Phone" section under Settings on my phone, it shows the software version as being WW. So, I'm assuming that means the version I got from ITrueMart is the WorldWide version.

post-58284-0-89933900-1450357006_thumb.j

Also, the box that the phone came in, on the printed label where all the serial number and IMEI and such info is listed, has several "WW" designations, no "TH" designations, and specifically lists LTE.

That said, that's the model I purchased. I can't speak to other models.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

One thing I've noticed about ASUS and this series of mobile phones is they don't appear to be skimping on the LTE bands that are enabled, even among the different regions worldwide.

For example, when I look at the GSM Arena list for the 551ML, I see that every one of the different regional variants they list (Global, Taiwan, U.S., China-India) has anywhere between 6 and 10 different LTE bands enabled. And every one of those different versions also includes LTE Bands 1 and 3 (2100 and 1800 Mhz), which are going to be the main ones for Thailand.

Those full sets of LTE capability were one of the attractions I found in considering/buying the ASUS mobile that I chose.

I have already looked at a boxed ze551ml in a local shop and on the back it had a TH prefix. So there must be a thai version, which would not interest me. Ordering online might be a bit of a gamble also.

Two things, FWIW...

1. Re ITrueMart, in the past year, I've bought first an ASUS tablet from them, and now an ASUS smartphone from them. The first was a special sale where I had to pay by bank card in advance. The second was a regular sale, where I paid in cash COD upon delivery. In both cases, they delivered promptly and on-time. And, the two products I ordered arrived in mint condition, new, sealed, etc etc.

So at least thus far, I'm satisfied with them as a retailer. The only downsides with them are IMO, if you need to speak to them on the phone, they're pretty much only Thai language, and they have no retail/storefront presence -- all strictly online.

2. As for the issue of whether the Zenfones they're selling are WorldWide or Thailand versions, I pretty much confirmed today that my ZE550KL is the WorldWide version, and not some Thai variant.

Took my phone to the AIS shop, and swapped out my old phone's regular SIM for the Zenfone's microSIM, and while I was there, had them check the phone's compatibility with their forthcoming 4G/LTE service. They ran the AIS USSD code the first time (* 987 #), and it didn't work. But, it turned out the phone out of the box had been set, in the Mobile settings, to only receive on 2G. So, we switched that setting to the alternate "2G/3G/4G" setting, and then re-ran the checking code, and it came back fine for 4G compatibility with AIS.

But, more to the point, here's a closeup on the sticker on the outside of the ZE550KL box I received, where if you look at the top and bottom lines, you'll clearly two see different "WW" references, which match the "WW" reference in the system software info page that I already posted here. So clearly, this model at least, is their WorldWide variant.

post-58284-0-97226600-1450444275_thumb.j

I have already looked at a boxed ze551ml in a local shop and on the back it had a TH prefix. So there must be a thai version, which would not interest me. Ordering online might be a bit of a gamble also.

Two things, FWIW...

1. Re ITrueMart, in the past year, I've bought first an ASUS tablet from them, and now an ASUS smartphone from them. The first was a special sale where I had to pay by bank card in advance. The second was a regular sale, where I paid in cash COD upon delivery. In both cases, they delivered promptly and on-time. And, the two products I ordered arrived in mint condition, new, sealed, etc etc.

So at least thus far, I'm satisfied with them as a retailer. The only downsides with them are IMO, if you need to speak to them on the phone, they're pretty much only Thai language, and they have no retail/storefront presence -- all strictly online.

2. As for the issue of whether the Zenfones they're selling are WorldWide or Thailand versions, I pretty much confirmed today that my ZE550KL is the WorldWide version, and not some Thai variant.

Took my phone to the AIS shop, and swapped out my old phone's regular SIM for the Zenfone's microSIM, and while I was there, had them check the phone's compatibility with their forthcoming 4G/LTE service. They ran the AIS USSD code the first time (* 987 #), and it didn't work. But, it turned out the phone out of the box had been set, in the Mobile settings, to only receive on 2G. So, we switched that setting to the alternate "2G/3G/4G" setting, and then re-ran the checking code, and it came back fine for 4G compatibility with AIS.

But, more to the point, here's a closeup on the sticker on the outside of the ZE550KL box I received, where if you look at the top and bottom lines, you'll clearly two see different "WW" references, which match the "WW" reference in the system software info page that I already posted here. So clearly, this model at least, is their WorldWide variant.

attachicon.gifASUS Zenfone ZE550KL Sticker.jpg

I have emailed them asking which version of the ZE551ML they are selling. I will update when I receive a reply

Two things, FWIW...

attachicon.gifASUS Zenfone ZE550KL Sticker.jpg

I have emailed them asking which version of the ZE551ML they are selling. I will update when I receive a reply
Good luck receiving an email reply!

Good luck receiving an email reply!

ITrueMart has a supposedly 24 hour phone number listed prominently on their website. In my case, I had reason to call them late into the evening a week or so ago, and got a live person after a brief wait to talk about canceling my original 500 model order. Thai speaking only though.

They also have a Live Chat function via their website, but I suspect that would be TH language also.

Re the ASUS Zenfone 2 ZE551ML, I was looking at GSMArena re the specs for that phone, vs. the newer and lower priced Zenfone 2 Laser ZE550KL

As best as I can see, the 551ML model...

--is an older version, and uses the Intel chipset instead of the Snapdragon on the KL.

--has the same 5.5 in. size screen, but higher resolution in terms of display pixels (401 vs 267 ppi).

--has variants with more ROM and RAM, including up to 64 GB and 4 GB.

--has a non-removable battery, whereas the KL has a removable battery. But same mAh in both.

--includes AC wifi access, whereas the KL only has up to N wifi.

--includes band 4 LTE 1700-2100 Mhz, whereas the KL lacks that band that's used in the U.S.

--has Gorilla Glass 3, vs. Gorilla Glass 4 in the KL.

All in all, to me, a mixed bag. For me with the KL, I like having the removable battery and I've heard the Snapdragon chips are likely a better choice than the Intel ones. I'm not sure the difference between 267 vs 401 ppi on the display is a big deal. But, I would have liked to have had the ML's access to AC wifi and the 1700/2100 LTE band for the U.S. But as with the world, everything has it price.

I managed to find the box that my ZenFone 5 came in and on the back sticker it clearly states WW-LTE and ANDROID WW but this is not the case as it is running TH software and when I tried to use 4G in the UK it would not connect to my ISP on 800kHz band.

This has confused me even more and I am therefore reluctant to part with 11k baht for the Zen2 if I can't be sure what I will get out of the box.

post-57434-14505306123784_thumb.jpg

post-57434-14505306353613_thumb.jpg

post-57434-14505306500397_thumb.jpg