Audio/video examples of TVF members speaking Thai

Gecko123

I thought it would be fun to compile examples of expats speaking Thai so that people can get a feel for one another's speaking ability.

The only ground rule is that before you start critiquing other people, you have to post an example of your speaking ability first.

So with no further ado, here's an example of me reading from the Thai novel "Tonight There is No Moon" by Suwanni Sukhanatha.

http://youtu.be/Dx_4HQRxI_g

Text of what I read in OP:

If anyone would like to make a stab at posting their reading of this passage for purposes of doing an apples-to-apples comparison between different speakers, please feel free to do so. Spacing, paragraphing, etc., are identical to published text.

จะว่าสร้อยดาวเป็นดาวในกล่มน้องใหม่ก็ได้ ไม่มีใครสวย

เกินสร้อยดาวสักคน

หล่อนมีสันแก้มโหนกสูง ราวกับสตรีทางตะวันตก คิ้วเรียว

และนัยน์ตาโต ริมฝีปากของสร้อยดาวไม่ค่อยได้รูปเท่าไร ไม่เป็น

กระจับอย่างคนโบราณชอบ มันหนาเท่ากันทั้งล่างและบน ตรงริม

ฝีปากล่าง ยังแลดูคลาย ๆ เจ่อและบวมราวกับถูกผึ้งต่อย และดู

เย้ายวนใจ

OK, here's my attempt at reading your passage for you to compare. I'm not really sure how it reflects on my speaking ability as it's slower than I normally speak, and a little awkward as they're not my words. If a lot more people post, then maybe I'll put something else together of me speaking naturally. Otherwise this is it. Hope it helps.

tonightnomoon.mp3

OK, here's my attempt at reading your passage for you to compare. I'm not really sure how it reflects on my speaking ability as it's slower than I normally speak, and a little awkward as they're not my words. If a lot more people post, then maybe I'll put something else together of me speaking naturally. Otherwise this is it. Hope it helps.

Really, really good. Excellent cadence. Thanks for posting.

For those who have posted audio recordings, how long have you been learning and what methods have you been using?

I've been living in Thailand for 13 years, but haven't been studying nearly that long. I did go through most of David Smyth's "Teach Yourself Thai" before moving here. I figured I'd just naturally pick up the language through daily living but things didn't quite work out that way. So about 4 years ago I decided to get serious about learning. For me, vocabulary came through reading, mainly news articles but I also read comics and help the kids with their homework. For ear training I watch a lot of Hollywood type movies, always with Thai audio and English subtitles whenever possible. I'll watch Thai movies too of course.
My speaking (proper sentence formation) and reading ability are what I need to work on most right now, so for the past several months I've been recording myself reading and I believe it has helped me quite a lot. I still have a ways to go and I do realize there are mistakes in what I posted. It's just at my current level, when I go back and try to correct my mistakes I just end up making others in new places.

Are "do-overs" allowed? smile.png

Anyway, here's my second attempt.

I'm posting this because I wasn't really happy with my first go round, and I also want to demonstrate what a great learning tool this can potentially be.

I learned quite a bit from listening to starrdog’s reading, as well as from other feedback.

The audio quality is better this time around as well.

I hope many more will participate in this thread no matter what level you’re at.

All are welcome.

http://youtu.be/NYNTZacuU0k

The second time was much better, but the are still several mistakes, mainly on tones and vowels.

Thanks for the feedback.

Would love to get more participation from people posting audio/video clips.