Electrical Test Tool Advice

Hey Guys, I thought a good time to ask this question as a friend and I are looking to share a couple of test tools for our homes. I found what I believe is 2 testers that will meet our needs.

The first one is a

MS5908 TRMS Voltage GFCI RCD Tester Circuit Analyzer Meter

It can be seen on this Aliexpress site as this is where I will buy it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Circuit-Analyzer-Mastech-MS5908-TRMS-AC-Low-Voltage-Distribution-Line-Fault-Tester-RCD-GFCI-Sockets-Testing/1887642345.html

The second one is a:

Digital Earth Resistance Tester Meter 100 Sets of Data Recording and Backlight 0 to 4K ohms MASTECH MS2302

It's spec can be seen on this link:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Digital-Earth-Resistance-Tester-Meter-100-sets-of-data-recording-and-backlight-0-to-4K-ohms/1887519285.html

My home has 3 phase power with various RCD devices installed and my friend has single phase supply with a new Safe-T-Cut RCD installed last week. This box is protecting whole house.

The prices for these seems reasonable for the DYIer. So any feedback on what you think about these two devices is appreciated. I know I can spend a lot more but in my limited research I think these will be good enough for our needs.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

For the money I don't think you can go far wrong, those two cover most of the safety related tests.

I would like to see an insulation tester as well as (of course) a regular DMM. Lose the earth tester if on a budget.

Don't forget your bulb and battery smile.png

This little beauty has just come onto the market http://www.tester.co.uk/socket-and-see-sok-36-professional-socket-earth-loop-polarity-rcd-tester?gclid=CPSzgqCo3MUCFcnKtAodS2MAFw

For the DIYer it's perfect, and covers all the tests that a DIYer should do.

What I like is the test button to test the Safety-cut on the device, which will tell you by opening the Safety-cut that it does indeed work. The only recourse for this previously was to press the test button at the Safety-cut device at the front end, which is not guaranteed to tell you if the Safety-cut is working properly. I have done this function before, and the safety-cut opens, but with proper equipment to test, I have known these not to open.

The above device will also test polarity, and what range your earth loop at a socket.

In fact it does 17 tests all in all.

Downside is you will have to make an adaptor to test lights or sockets that don't take a UK plug.

For the money I don't think you can go far wrong, those two cover most of the safety related tests.

I would like to see an insulation tester as well as (of course) a regular DMM. Lose the earth tester if on a budget.

I have a inexpensive DMM that works for most simple needs UNI-T UT33C

Explain the bulb and battery or point me to one of your past writings please? I just past the 70 year mark and my brain is slowing down I think!

The budget is limited but it seems the earth tester would be good for a once or twice a year check of the earth rod and earthing. I seem to recall a post by you that mentioned the loss of the rod due to corrosion or electrolysis? Don't recall the specifics of that.

How easy is it to get a good ground in Thailand with grounding rods???

How easy is it to get a good ground in Thailand with grounding rods???

It depends upon where you are, Bangkok / Central Plain, piece of cake, our 2.5m rod reads around 10 Ohms. Up north on rock significantly more difficult at which point a mat becomes viable.

• 2 weeks later...

Several days ago I opened this topic for advice on a couple of test tools. Based on the discussions I did some further investigation and found a local Bangkok source for a tool very similar to the one that Crossy recommended.

I ordered and purchased and now received the tool yesterday.

This is the shop info:

EVERTECH CO.,LTD.
163 Soi Pracha-Utit44, Bangmod, Thongkru, Bangkok, Thailand.
Tel: (662)8702884-5 Fax: (662)4287771
E-mail:
[email protected]

The cost of the device delivered EMS was 1,819 B

I attach a few photos of the tool and info

I used the device yesterday as soon as I opened the box. No user manual but the small cardboard card that held the tool in the blister pack opened to reveal in English some basic operating info

After testing several sockets I seem to have an issue with my earth connection as indicated during the loop tests. There are 3 LEDs for this test function. Green (OK) Yellow (Check) Red (Danger)

The tool will do the loop test after the basic set of tests. No errors during initial plugin but when it gets to the loop test the yellow check LED starts flashing and the sounder is beeping. The manual suggests check the installation as the earth loop resistance is between 1.8 and 92 ohms.

This happens on any socket tested. So am I to assume the earth connection to my earth rod has an issue? What’s my next step here? As I did not buy the earth testing tool how can I check this?

Thanks for any and all advice

DY207A_EN_V1.pdf

DY207_DY207A.pdf

post-20917-0-35489500-1433385997_thumb.j post-20917-0-24100100-1433386006_thumb.j

If your system is TT (no N-E link in the distribution board) the an earth loop of 1.8 to 92 ohms is pretty good.

If you have an RCD/RCBO/Safe-T-cut then there is no issue and nothing to be done :)

If your system is TT (no N-E link in the distribution board) the an earth loop of 1.8 to 92 ohms is pretty good.

If you have an RCD/RCBO/Safe-T-cut then there is no issue and nothing to be done smile.png

With any system, 1.8 to 92 ohm seems like a very wide range to make a "diagnosis". Or?

If you have an RCD/RCBO/Safe-T-cut then there is no issue and nothing to be done smile.png

With any system, 1.8 to 92 ohm seems like a very wide range to make a "diagnosis". Or?

It's a pretty simple tester, if you've got a rod better than 100 ohms and an RCD you're good to go.

Well, what I was thinking - but didn't say - is that, if the tester can measure something then it seems it would show the result versus just flagging a wide range. IE: if the tested loop impedance was 1.9 ohm, that would be a bit different than 92 ohm. So, Crossy, just wondering your opinion if this particular test with this tester is of any value?

The lower figure of 1.9 does seem a little low, but on 'C' curves on a TNCS system then the max value for a 32 Amp MCB with sockets on is 0.75 ohms. So would indicate further investigation.

The said device is probably more suited to non TT installations.

As long as you have Safety-Cut installed there is no issues.

Besides the exotic stuff, don't forget to get a proximity alert tool to let you know when things are live. They sell similar units to this one at Amorn.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-2AC-Alert-Voltage-Tester/dp/B004I9J4DI

But please remember to check it with a known live wire before relying on it to prove dead.

And even then, treat every wire as if it were live.

Ok thanks all. I will do as the device suggests and check the system. As my rod and connection are easy to get to I will do this first and check for a poor connection and corrosion to see if that has anything to do with this reading. If I run in to anything I will report it here for the benefit of others who might be interested.

As an added note on this I went to my neighbors house and checked a few of his sockets and all tests passed in the green including the loop test. His earth rod is buried under the floor below the DB so impossible to check without ripping up the floor so it is good it passed

Fork, if the photo question is "do I have a MEN link" I can tell you no I do not. If you need to see inside my panel for other info than I can comply. I do not know if the neighbor has a MEN link but I do know he had a new panel installed about a yer ago but I never saw the finished job prior to cover installed. I do know the original panel did not have a MEN link.

^ well it seems you have got answer, as to why the yellow light is lit. As indeed it is telling you check. Once MEN is implemented I'm quite confident you will get the green light.

More important is to check the operation of your Safety-Cut device. As this is what will save your life here in Thailand.

Archived