Another sign of low inflation in Thailand

Anthony5

I eat a lot of chicken every week , I dont think its harmful to your body , even if they use antibiotics . I am more worried abut the oil they use to fry them in .

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At big C extra right next to the milk refrigerator they have a small refrigerator which is dedicated entirely to selling a range of Italian ready-made pasta products from Surgital S.p.A.(See website below)

Actually they are not bad and are handy for a quick meal in the microwave

Over the past couple of months I have purchased most of the range just to try the different food each time paying 179 thai baht.

Then just last week the price increased up from 179 to 250 thai baht virtually overnight. huh.png I'm not paying that

Low inflation in Thailandgiggle.gif

http://www.surgital.it/core/pdprodotto/pdprodotto_controller.php?action=pdprodotto&idPDProdotto=12

Edited by Asiantravel

A couple of years ago I saw that all (and I mean all) the kebab vendors in Pattaya increased their prices overnight from 50B to 60B. That's 20%.

Was there any real justification for this? I dont think so. Personally I'm not too bothered as I wouldn't eat a kebab if I was paid to, but I just happened to notice it.

So that was a couple of years ago, and I think today the average price of a kebap is still 60 Baht.

I also never buy any ready made Thai food from Big C, if you even can call it food that they sell, except some times the fried vegetables and that is why I noticed it.

Fact is that they increase their prices for Thai produce frequently, the Masuman Kai which is now 49 Baht comes from 30 Baht when it was Carrefour and still had chicken inside, regardless of the fact that the Thai government insist that that there is almost no inflation in Thailand.

The governments all over the world are spouting this BS. They keep adjusting the basket of products that they measure inflation by till they get the price they want. My big pension increase was 1.7% for this year while the bankrupt governments and their greedy big business partners can help themselves to all the cheap money floating around in the system. Its all a con a racket to give the governments and their big business buddies cheap money and to keep the pensioners and the working poor in their place. The working poor with little or no annual increases. The rich CEO's are now getting 350% more than the average working man. Go back a few decades and it was 30 to 1. Their annual bonus increases make me want to vomit. What the H is the world coming to? We are definitely going back to a form of the old Feudal system and we are the serfs.

you can just eat cake because some members of society simply dont feel the effectsgiggle.gif

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-11-pay-rise-2015-candidates-under-pressure-not-to-accept-rise-8999750.html

Today "promotion" all over the pre-packed raw meat department at Big C xtra.

Almost all kinds of chicken meat, but also large sections of beef and pork, had yellow price tags with the letters promotion and the new price.

For customer convenience they has left the original whit price tags behind the yellow "promotion" tags so people could check the price difference compared to yesterday.

A check of the white labels learned the ALL prices had INCREASED between 15 and a whopping 50% from yesterdays price.

There was a prepacked Aussie aignee beef, whatever that may mean, that had increased from 650 Baht to 990 Baht overnight.

Sure no inflation around here.

Almost all kinds of chicken meat, but also large sections of beef and pork, had yellow price tags with the letters promotion and the new price.

For customer convenience they has left the original whit price tags behind the yellow "promotion" tags so people could check the price difference compared to yesterday.

A check of the white labels learned the ALL prices had INCREASED between 15 and a whopping 50% from yesterdays price.

There was a prepacked Aussie aignee beef, whatever that may mean, that had increased from 650 Baht to 990 Baht overnight.

There really is a very simple solution coffee1.gif

You mean, like go shopping in Malaysia, because Big C and Tesco monopolize the supermarket scene in Thailand?

well prices on raw foods have dropped

example chicken went from about 120b/kg down to 80b/kg

however gas for cooking went from 220 baht for 15 lt tank to 520 baht, so has LPG and NGV

may be and i do say may be, the price of prepared meals went up due to gas prices

The chicken example is meaningless. On any particular day you can buy chicken for as low as 70 baht/kg up to 150 baht/kg or more, depending on where you buy it and when. Also, chicken ain't chicken. Quality and type varies greatly, from free range organic to bargain basement quality.

Lesson learned today: 15-21% in 6 months is sign of low inflation.

I guess you were also not in the front line when they distributed the sense for sarcasm coffee1.gif

By the way the 15-21% was over the weekend, and it was not the only increase in the price of THAI ready made food in the past 6 months.

In order for your complaint to make any sense, you need to observe the price of particular items over many years. Do you think that supermarkets have an obligation to put prices up in small increments exactly in line with official Government inflation figures?

Prepared food is the worst example, as it's value depends on the chef and demand. In the end supermarkets are businesses and their job is to make as much profit as possible. If the market will bare an extra 10 baht or so on a particular item then they are doing their job. This is free enterprise.

There can be considerable wastage in selling prepared food too as it has to be thrown out if not sold. This also has to be factored into the cost. May I suggest you go to Big C at 9 or 10pm. All that horrible prepared food goes very cheap .

Edited by tropo

Most Thais shop at the local markets. Thais and farangs with money shop at Big C/Tesco/Foodland. Mostly I think the pricing policy at Big C et al is: Stick it to the farang.

My favourite juice is cranberry, by Langers, an import. In Foodland it's 153 baht/Villa 160 baht, in Phnom Penh it's 60 baht. Identical brand and size, 32 oz/1L. Thai brands Tipco and Malee are cheaper on a regular price basis (by about 10 baht or more) in PP than in Thailand. Leo beer is 30 or so baht in Thailand, in Phnom Penh it's 15 baht (at expensive Bayon Market), yes, even after transport costs are thrown in.

Over here on the Darkside, a very flavourful and tasty Soi Muslim BBQ'd half chicken is 75 baht. At Foodland, 140 baht. Weights about the same, maybe slightly heavier at Foodland.

Stick it to the farang. That's all you need to know about pricing if you shop at the big name supermarkets. So I let them . . . but not for long.

You mean, like go shopping in Malaysia, because Big C and Tesco monopolize the supermarket scene in Thailand?

I wouldn't go to Malaysia as I think Tesco have an even bigger market share. Go shop at the local markets if you want cheaper food.

Most Thais shop at the local markets. Thais and farangs with money shop at Big C/Tesco/Foodland. Mostly I think the pricing policy at Big C et al is: Stick it to the farang.

My favourite juice is cranberry, by Langers, an import. In Foodland it's 153 baht/Villa 160 baht, in Phnom Penh it's 60 baht. Identical brand and size, 32 oz/1L. Thai brands Tipco and Malee are cheaper on a regular price basis (by about 10 baht or more) in PP than in Thailand. Leo beer is 30 or so baht in Thailand, in Phnom Penh it's 15 baht (at expensive Bayon Market), yes, even after transport costs are thrown in.

Over here on the Darkside, a very flavourful and tasty Soi Muslim BBQ'd half chicken is 75 baht. At Foodland, 140 baht. Weights about the same, maybe slightly heavier at Foodland.

Stick it to the farang. That's all you need to know about pricing if you shop at the big name supermarkets. So I let them . . . but not for long.

You ever thought that the prices you mention might be due to the very high import taxes on foreign items and heavy duty on alcohol. No sorry you probably didn't as you are quite happy that as a Farang every Thai is out to rip you off.

I wouldn't go to Malaysia as I think Tesco have an even bigger market share. Go shop at the local markets if you want cheaper food.

You think there is no inflation at the local markets?

Ask someone who actually shops at those markets, because you clearly don't

You ever thought that the prices you mention might be due to the very high import taxes on foreign items and heavy duty on alcohol. No sorry you probably didn't as you are quite happy that as a Farang every Thai is out to rip you off.

You're kind of missing the obvious. Why do you think Thailand has high import tariffs in the first place? I refer you to my summary: Stick it to the farang. This was said in the context of the big name supermarkets that sell popular western (and local) products at quite high prices. Few regular Thais shop at Big C unless supported by a big wallet. Sometimes even identical products at 7-11 are cheaper than Big C.

No, not every Thai is trying to rip me off. Where did I say that? I live on the Darkside, where I get charged Thai prices, where folks are generous and super nice.

At open markets prices are usually not marked and they don't use proper scales ... so that, and the lack of communication keeps me away. I would also have to factor in a Farang "idiot" tax. I much prefer the idea of buying products with exact gram measurements that aren't rounded off to the nearest 10 baht or so... and worth a few baht extra to shop in air conditioned comfort without being hassled.

Mangosteens are a good example of the advantages of supermarket shopping. I can have a good feel of each one in the supermarket to make sure I'm not buying "mangostones". They wouldn't appreciate that in an open market and I'm not going to let someone pass over a bag of stones as they would want to do in the market.

Edited by tropo

At open markets prices are usually not marked and they don't use proper scales ... so that, and the lack of communication keeps me away. I would also have to factor in a Farang "idiot" tax. I much prefer the idea of buying products with exact gram measurements that aren't rounded off to the nearest 10 baht or so... and worth a few baht extra to shop in air conditioned comfort without being hassled.

Mangosteens are a good example of the advantages of supermarket shopping. I can have a good feel of each one in the supermarket to make sure I'm not buying "mangostones". They wouldn't appreciate that in an open market and I'm not going to let someone pass over a bag of stones as they would want to do in the market.

That is so true.

Stopped using Rumpole market Jomtien a year ago ( because Farang Tax ) at some stalls there.

I like to shop at the local markets if i can , but keep an eye on them.

Edited by onemorechang

A couple of years ago I saw that all (and I mean all) the kebab vendors in Pattaya increased their prices overnight from 50B to 60B. That's 20%.

Was there any real justification for this? I dont think so. Personally I'm not too bothered as I wouldn't eat a kebab if I was paid to, but I just happened to notice it.

So that was a couple of years ago, and I think today the average price of a kebap is still 60 Baht.

I also never buy any ready made Thai food from Big C, if you even can call it food that they sell, except some times the fried vegetables and that is why I noticed it.

Fact is that they increase their prices for Thai produce frequently, the Masuman Kai which is now 49 Baht comes from 30 Baht when it was Carrefour and still had chicken inside, regardless of the fact that the Thai government insist that that there is almost no inflation in Thailand.

The governments all over the world are spouting this BS. They keep adjusting the basket of products that they measure inflation by till they get the price they want. My big pension increase was 1.7% for this year while the bankrupt governments and their greedy big business partners can help themselves to all the cheap money floating around in the system. Its all a con a racket to give the governments and their big business buddies cheap money and to keep the pensioners and the working poor in their place. The working poor with little or no annual increases. The rich CEO's are now getting 350% more than the average working man. Go back a few decades and it was 30 to 1. Their annual bonus increases make me want to vomit. What the H is the world coming to? We are definitely going back to a form of the old Feudal system and we are the serfs.

Elgordo38 deserves praise. In a few sentences, he describes "how the world ticks these days". An intellectual "think-tank" would produce a 400 page report to reach the same conclusions !

But,as usual, quality posts like the above, go mostly unnoticed.

BTW: Officially, the Thai inflation rate is 3.5%. cheesy.gifclap2.gif .

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Elgordo38 deserves praise. In a few sentences, he describes "how the world ticks these days". An intellectual "think-tank" would produce a 400 page report to reach the same conclusions !

But,as usual, quality posts like the above, go mostly unnoticed.

BTW: Officially, the Thai inflation rate is 3.5%. cheesy.gifclap2.gif .

Cheers.

I think that would be the correct number............3.5% per month.

just came back from America. Two egg Mcmuffins at McDonalds $7.23 with tax that is around 240 baht. gasoline was $2.50 a gallon. bread was $1.33 or about 44 baht, Whopper meal $8.65 Quater pounder meal $8. something everything is going up.

just came back from America. Two egg Mcmuffins at McDonalds $7.23 with tax that is around 240 baht. gasoline was $2.50 a gallon. bread was $1.33 or about 44 baht, Whopper meal $8.65 Quater pounder meal $8. something everything is going up.

You can't use gasoline as a gauge for inflation... however companies do use it as an excuse for putting up prices, but they never take them down again when the price of oil drops.

With your food tastes I wouldn't worry about these costs I would be more concerned with rising health costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Egg Benedictine,basically 2 poached eggs laid on a bun with dried ham,sauce , was 72 baht overnight increase 119 baht..Foodland restaurant 60% overnight

Don't worry about it. If the price is too high no one will buy it and it will soon be off the menu. If people pay the new inflated price, then it was a good business decision. Perhaps the old price was far too low.

Egg Benedictine,basically 2 poached eggs laid on a bun with dried ham,sauce , was 72 baht overnight increase 119 baht..Foodland restaurant 60% overnight

Egg Benedictine LOL!!

Probably PWD in that case.... Posting Whilst Drunk

Egg Benedictine LOL!!

Surely you've been around forums long enough to know that criticizing spelling or grammar is bad forum etiquette.

You're assuming that the member is a native English speaker, which is quite ignorant on an International forum such as this. Be careful that Muphrey's Law won't come back to bite you on the a**. (and that goes equally for the 2 other ignorant members who liked your inappropriate attempt at humour.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

Edited by tropo

Egg Benedictine LOL!!

Surely you've been around forums long enough to know that criticizing spelling or grammar is bad forum etiquette.

You're assuming that the member is a native English speaker, which is quite ignorant on an International forum such as this. Be careful that Muphrey's Law won't come back to bite you on the a**. (and that goes equally for the 2 other ignorant members who liked your inappropriate attempt at humour.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

Wind yer neck in Tropo, no criticism, just laughter at the irony......if his favourite brekky had indeed been drenched in benedictine then the price of 119 baht was exceptionally cheap, but i guess that went over both yer heads.

BTW, it's Murphy's law. ;-)