Where would you buy?

dennism53

If you believe in the saying...."buy the cheapest house in the best neighborhood" where would you buy?

My thought is to buy a fixer-upper, more concerned about the property than the house, I don't mind putting 2-3 million baht into the right property.

Looking forward to your answers.

Know the saying ..but not sure it applies in the same way here ...when I retired I wanted a place that was secure, close but not in the town, had a country feel and was not just another box in one of the communities, that tend to be overpriced and costly service fees. I built on a 'one man band' project in soi 88 ..near the Sahwan Boutique Resort (?). Added my own design preferences ..even added my own K6 Red Telephone Box from the UK !! A nice community - Brit, Aussies, German, Swiss..nice mix ...some houses ready to move in, other plots ready to build ....Good luck

Be aware of the boxes in the communities. The ghettos. When I arrived in Los for the second time ( 10 years ago ) one was being built for me in H/H. You know the places I'm sure , a gate tha lifts up to let anyone in , all the houses are a metre away from the next. All the same shape and colour.. The maintainance was 30,000B per year , this covered a gardener who clipped the bushes and trees , a maintainance man who cleaned the pool and security. My house was broken into twice. And the trash had to be shlept to the gate 300 metres away. Then the Thai mafia got involved with the Russian mafia . Tropical Hell. So if you decide the house you like is on one of these places bang on a few doors first, Oh and ask if they have water all the time. We had to get ours bought in in a bowser ,the water was sucked out of the nearest canal. I moved as far away north as I could get , no need for security , swimming pool nearby 50B and rubbish collecting 20B per month. Never been happier.

If you really need to ask this question says you need to spend more time here before you buy anything.
But most of us like Soi 88-94, but you might have other preferences so better you find out for your self.
Rent at least one year before buy anything down here if you really must buy, most guys find out after a while that they might want to move somewhere else and that is not easy if you own your house..

Depends on your needs but we like it north. Here we are out of the traffic of the central areas. We have Makro for most of the food shopping, Palm hills for fitness, squash, badminton, tennis and golf. Your close to immigration and 19 rai. BUPA is around the corner and PTT is close for a fill up. If you are looking for night life and want to stay close buy closer to town. If you want to have a quiet life and still live within 9 km from Tesco look north. If you want a rural life look west.

Avoid new houses as they are suspect, builders plaster over defects, avoid villages as they are a rip off and many are flood prone, their security is 99% a farce. Avoid areas with busy roads, wat's, bars and schools. Never buy a house thats below the level of the access road. Never buy a house thats not lifted from the ground by atleast 0,5 m (dampness and termite control).

Chokdee

You will get a million different answers. My advice is to come here and rent then drive around to find the area that sits with you. Everyone has different needs and likes. I like Soi 112. An ok development is Dusta Lakeside about 3 km from Market Village. Drive in and have a look.

like other posters once you have bought you are stuck in a hole. why would anyone at retirement age want to buy anyway, as you say "maybe spend 2-3 million on repairs" my friend you have too much money, just rent and enjoy spending that 3 million. you can always move on.

2 to 3 mill for a right property in Hua Hin where every one thinks its best because King have his summer palace there ?

and propewrty prices up to gold !!!

a house in a lonely village - walls meter to meter

this you can find in any town

2 to 3 mill for a right property in Hua Hin where every one thinks its best because King have his summer palace there ?

and propewrty prices up to gold !!!

a house in a lonely village - walls meter to meter

this you can find in any town

Actually if you want a really nice house in a central location in Hua Hin you have to pay a lot more than 3 mill baht, a Townhouse is what you get for that money.

The only people that want to buy here is the newish, the rest of us that have been here for a while knows better..

there is a nice road that runs parallel between the petchkasem and the beach. it starts at the kings palace and runs along the top of soi 51 etc, all the way to the clock tower. it is very central, yet it is a quiet road, as it is not a through road. lots of old properties along there that you could buy and spend a few million on and get looking real nice

there is a nice road that runs parallel between the petchkasem and the beach. it starts at the kings palace and runs along the top of soi 51 etc, all the way to the clock tower. it is very central, yet it is a quiet road, as it is not a through road. lots of old properties along there that you could buy and spend a few million on and get looking real nice

Agree that's a nice area, too bad that the beach is not so good there.