Reliable reasonable priced parcel postage out of Thailand?

jmccarty

I have found some very old posts about EMS and the big international courier postal services. Looks like very dated information.

Is there any recommended new postal service to send parcels to the US or Europe from Thailand?

I purchase things from ebay and there are various low to very high cost ways to ship things to Thailand. But if I start selling, would be good to find a low cost but reliable postal service.

I live in Pattaya, local advice appreciated!

I use EMS. The posts you said you found might be outdated, but EMS is still working the same, reliable way.

There was a topic in the past couple of weeks about this, something about a global fixed priced package, "EMS WORLD"

Another topic recently http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823915-cheapest-way-to-send-parcel-to-the-uk-which-courier/

Still relevant for US/Canada.

I've used the Thai Post Office EMS service....took 10-14 days to America but everything was received. Cost less than half of what DHL/FEDEX was asking.

World wide postal prices are up service is down. I get things fast out of China with free shipping when I order on EBay but then the quality sucks. Ya just cannot win.

I've used the Thai Post Office EMS service....took 10-14 days to America but everything was received. Cost less than half of what DHL/FEDEX was asking.

World wide postal prices are up service is down. I get things fast out of China with free shipping when I order on EBay but then the quality sucks. Ya just cannot win.

I had to wait up to 6 weeks for some trinkets to arrive from China, when I asked the merchant why,

he said that this is the only way to ship thing out of China, either that or DHL and similar that are

not cost effective, so, in the 21st century, we still wait that long for parcel to arrive.. go figure...

I do not like to be negative, but it costs an arm & a leg to ship from US to Thailand. Why would there be a cheaper alternative than the USPS to ship from Thailand to US? Am I missing an alternative?

It depends on how big a hurry you and your customers are in,and whether or not you want tracking. For me and my friends? We are in no hurry and prefer to use the lowest rate. EMS is reliable and has tracking, but quite expensive.

Once you have determined the weight an destination of your parcel, you can go here to choose a rate and service: http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php

The best rate and the one I use is the "Int'l small packet - surf" rate. I can send up to one kg to the US for 215 baht, or up to 2 kg for 415 baht. Over two kg and that rate is gone. Evn though it is "small packet," I have sent rather large boxes using this rate. I suppose it depends on your clerk what will be allowed. I send something this way to the US at least once a month.

The downside is that there is no tracking and it is surface (boat). It can take as long as three and one-half months. Very often, it is just as I thought the package was lost, that it shows up. I have sent dozens this way and have NEVER lost a thing. Sometimes there is a pleasant surprise and the package arrives after only ten days in transit. Apparently, if there is space available in and air container, they will fill it with surface packages.

If I send a 1.99kg package by EMS (full tracking, signatures required) it costs 1,910 baht. Using "small pack" the same box costs only 415 baht.

"EMS World (One price box)" costs 1,400 baht for 1.99 kg. I do not know the box size.

I do not like to be negative, but it costs an arm & a leg to ship from US to Thailand. Why would there be a cheaper alternative than the USPS to ship from Thailand to US? Am I missing an alternative?

Yes you are missing something. The Thai Post is a great outfit, fair and reliable. They have great customer service.

The United States Postal Service, on the other hand, has gone to hell in a hand basket. It is grossly overpriced, restrictive and filled with <deleted>. They have forgotten what customer service is.

The USPS could take some lessons from Thai Post.

Yes you are missing something. The Thai Post is a great outfit, fair and reliable. They have great customer service.

The United States Postal Service, on the other hand, has gone to hell in a hand basket. It is grossly overpriced, restrictive and filled with <deleted>. They have forgotten what customer service is.

I could not agree more with your post about the USPS. But, doesn't the Thai Post have to add on the costs that the USPS will charge them once the package arrives into the control of the USPS in the states? Does the USPS give the Thai Post a big discount. That may be what I am missing. The USPS is almost beyond help, unfortunately.

I could not agree more with your post about the USPS. But, doesn't the Thai Post have to add on the costs that the USPS will charge them once the package arrives into the control of the USPS in the states? Does the USPS give the Thai Post a big discount. That may be what I am missing. The USPS is almost beyond help, unfortunately.

I, too, have wondered about the questions you raise. I assume that all inter-country mail is handled by treaties or international convention. All I can say is that when I send a 1.99 kg package to anywhere in the US for 415 baht (about $12.42US), it always arrives.

Be advised, though that US Customs is insanely overactive. If I put ANYTHING in the box that they question, they always seem to get it. Like one time, I put a small commercial packet of Thai pepper seeds in for a friend. They grabbed them and left a note that said import of seeds without a permit is prohibited. I did not declare the seeds and they would not be a red flag to xray. They must have a HUGE staff. Go figure. I have long suspected that part of the delay with this cheap rate is that the item sits in a queue at US Customs for a month or more before being release on its way.

I, too, have wondered about the questions you raise. I assume that all inter-country mail is handled by treaties or international convention. All I can say is that when I send a 1.99 kg package to anywhere in the US for 415 baht (about $12.42US), it always arrives.

Be advised, though that US Customs is insanely overactive. If I put ANYTHING in the box that they question, they always seem to get it. Like one time, I put a small commercial packet of Thai pepper seeds in for a friend. They grabbed them and left a note that said import of seeds without a permit is prohibited. I did not declare the seeds and they would not be a red flag to xray. They must have a HUGE staff. Go figure. I have long suspected that part of the delay with this cheap rate is that the item sits in a queue at US Customs for a month or more before being release on its way.

Interesting. My last CARE package from my daughter, sent from the states to Pattaya, weighed 10 pounds, (less than 5 kg). The USPS charged $98.30 to have it delivered in about 3 weeks.

Interesting. My last CARE package from my daughter, sent from the states to Pattaya, weighed 10 pounds, (less than 5 kg). The USPS charged $98.30 to have it delivered in about 3 weeks.

Pretty typical. I get a lot of "care packages." But she can do better. She needs to learn to use the USPS website. Here is the link for raes to Thailand: http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10424%20

Unless the items are very bulky (large) an International Priority Mail Flat Rate Box is usually the best way to go. The "large" (23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" OR 12" x 12" x 5-1/2") costs $80.50 and you can pack it up to 20 pounds.

When I have a friend send one, I order things I want, then we continue to pack the box with small stuff until it weighs 19+ pounds. Let's say you have a camera and cell phone in there, weighing 8 lbs., and there is still space that you fill with packing. You have to look at it as having an additional 12 lbs of free shipping. You can fill that space with nuts and bolts or even fishing sinkers. Never let it go wasted!

She also needs to know that many Postal Clerks in the US are meddling jerks. She has to exert control over them. For example, maybe she wants to use Priority Mail and the clerk tries to upsell her to Global Express. No! If the package weighs less than 4 pounds, the cheapest rate is First Class (not available if over 4 lbs). The clerk will almost always push for the more expensive Priority Mail. She needs to say, "No. I know what I am doing and what I want. Please follow my directions."

None of the USPS options are very good, but there ARE options.

Operate a business and are forced to use Thai Post and its the most unreliable, unethical registered mail service I have ever had the displeasure to work with. They take your money for registered items then offer no solution when it goes missing. They offer no tracking unless you pay the exorbitant EMS rate of 650 Baht plus weight costs. They never respond to your emails or reply to phone calls. Have lost over 1 in 10 of a 1000 items sent in 12 months and to this day am still waiting for a response to my first enquiry made 12 months ago as to the items location or a refund.

Pigeon is more reliable

I have been using Thai EMS and registered post, both overseas and within Thailand, for fifteen years. Never lost a thing. Also imported many items into Thailand and have never had to wait more than three days once the tracking advises it has arrived in the country. I ALWAYS use some form of tracking.

Thanks all, useful advice, and I did search and did not see that "Shipping cost of small package" thread. I get some items in small packages (<0.5kg) that are USPS "Priority International mail" delivered from the US to Thailand for less than $10 and arrives within about 10 days, and others use USPS express and it arrives within a few days, but $70-$90.

I can't get the senders to pick the cheaper of the 2 options, maybe something to take up with ebay?

Anyway, all advice and comments appreciated. Many minds make less work.

• 1 year later...

Yes, Thai Post office works, but since last year, they will not accept any electrical good, for international shipping!  Nothing with circuitry in it I was told by the Manager at Prakanong Post Office!

Apparently if during package scanning they see circuitry they will not ship the package!

So, the u question from the OP remains, who offers reasonably priced shipping out of Thailand?

Certainly NOT the people offering supposed Specia lDiscounts to ThaiVisa members!

I was quoted around 3000 at one of the shipping kiosks depending upon speed and service. For a 3.6kg package to US, that's still nearly $100!

"Bangkok Cheap Shipping" quoted 4400-5500!!!  So much for "50% off" normal prices and "Special ThaiVisaDiscount"!!!

Can anyone suggest a cheap option?  It can go by sea for all I care and take 2-3 months as long as the price is more reasonable..... 

18 hours ago, cyborgx said:

Yes, Thai Post office works, but since last year, they will not accept any electrical good, for international shipping!  Nothing with circuitry in it I was told by the Manager at Prakanong Post Office!

Apparently if during package scanning they see circuitry they will not ship the package!

So, the u question from the OP remains, who offers reasonably priced shipping out of Thailand?

Certainly NOT the people offering supposed Specia lDiscounts to ThaiVisa members!

I was quoted around 3000 at one of the shipping kiosks depending upon speed and service. For a 3.6kg package to US, that's still nearly $100!

"Bangkok Cheap Shipping" quoted 4400-5500!!!  So much for "50% off" normal prices and "Special ThaiVisaDiscount"!!!

Can anyone suggest a cheap option?  It can go by sea for all I care and take 2-3 months as long as the price is more reasonable..... 

If it's not electrical, go for the Thai Post. That's the most reasonable one. 

If it's something special, find a shipping company. However, in the last case it will go through customs on both sides and huge handling and customs fees may occur.

There must be some companies out there doing reasonably priced shipping of electrical goods out of Thailand....

I can't believe that there are no small exporters of electrical goods out of Thailand. Businesses must have better options than to have to use the likes of FedEx etc., making their products unsellable around the world..

On 5/26/2015 at 8:36 PM, TheAppletons said:

EMS had a HUGE price increase for international shipments out of Thailand starting about a year or so back.

I used to send my U.S. tax return envelope back to the U.S. for their envelope rate that used to be 600 baht. Last year, just after the price increase, they were quoting 1000-1200 baht for the exact same envelope.

Never heard any explanation or justification for why EMS in Thailand raised their rates so much in just one increase.

On 5/27/2015 at 7:41 AM, LindaLovelace said:

It depends on how big a hurry you and your customers are in,and whether or not you want tracking. For me and my friends? We are in no hurry and prefer to use the lowest rate. EMS is reliable and has tracking, but quite expensive.

Once you have determined the weight an destination of your parcel, you can go here to choose a rate and service: http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php

The best rate and the one I use is the "Int'l small packet - surf" rate. I can send up to one kg to the US for 215 baht, or up to 2 kg for 415 baht. Over two kg and that rate is gone. Evn though it is "small packet," I have sent rather large boxes using this rate. I suppose it depends on your clerk what will be allowed. I send something this way to the US at least once a month.

The downside is that there is no tracking and it is surface (boat). It can take as long as three and one-half months. Very often, it is just as I thought the package was lost, that it shows up. I have sent dozens this way and have NEVER lost a thing. Sometimes there is a pleasant surprise and the package arrives after only ten days in transit. Apparently, if there is space available in and air container, they will fill it with surface packages.

If I send a 1.99kg package by EMS (full tracking, signatures required) it costs 1,910 baht. Using "small pack" the same box costs only 415 baht.

"EMS World (One price box)" costs 1,400 baht for 1.99 kg. I do not know the box size.

Thanks for the good info posted about re the rates you're using.

But the link you posted for ThaiPost seems to be a non-working one.

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually called the Tahi Post call centre, talked to one of the managers there, and after he checked with the right department, he confirmed that electrical packages can be send by Sea (over ground service). He called the manager at Prakanong who had told me it was not possible, I went down there and the 3.6kg package cost me 980 baht to send.

Perseverence and talking to senior staff as always, is the key to getting things done in Thailand...

Archived