Buying A Place Here? Welcome! But You Can Only Stay A While..

So do these new rules on tourist visas mean that anyone who has shelled out cash to buy a place in Thailand can only actually LIVE IN IT for 90 days a year?

If you don't know what I'm talking about you need to read this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82672

For the rest who already know the story what the f+++??

I'd appreciate EXPERT views not the flamers..well okay you too.. :o

If you bought it ... you likely have the ability to get a VISA

Yes good point "jdinasia" - I do. But is that the case with everyone? Think about all those timeshare and outright property sales around the world - Mexico to Spain to Greece..Do any of these places restrict number of visits? I actually don't know... But I reckon many people who bought here don't have a REAL visa. But maybe the numbers are insignificant...depends who you ask I guess :o

Worst case scenario - if the new ruling also applies to tourist visas - and as yet, this is unsure - you could stay for 90 days, leave for 90 days and back for 90 days etc.

That means you could stay 6 months of the year, not 90 days.

I doubt it will come to that though. As has been pointed out there are an number of options for people with a bit of cash - retirement visas, marriage visas, small business with work permit, elite cards, etc etc.

Read the thread.

You have misunderstood the Immigration announcement.

As I read it, the crackdown is aimed at people who arrive on a 30day visa exemption stamp,

and then do a visa run, out and back the same day.

They will be limited to 3 trips, then required to leave for 90 days.

If you arrive with a Tourist Visa or a Non Imm visa then you will not have problems.

If you go for an investment visa buying a condominium you will be in an even stronger position.

This is not a problem, this should only really effect those that have nothing to offer the country, or are taking something from the country such as illegal workers on low wages.

Anyone who wants to stay longer can get the visa, simple. The only people who can't get this visa are those too busy to get to the Thai Embassey, but they would not have time to come for that long anyway.

Also I expect you could be issued with many 30 day visa's if you only stayed a few days at a time and not the full 30 days. If you want to stay 30 days or longer get the visa.

There's another way that's pretty simple if you want to stay longer, find a Thai with a business, get them to employ you, get work permit, and never turn up to work, you pay all cost of WP and non B visa, give them a monthly fee and live here happily ever after.

If you can't afford to do that maybe you should go to Cambodia, vietnam, latin america or somewhere cheaper with easier immigration rules and future growth prospects. Thailand is making it clear that they do not want you here, which means your future chances of success here are diminishing and they will diminish further as the government find more ways to make things difficult for you.

Instead of being slowly forced out by new Thai rules, find somewhere else and try and find a way to cash in on all the others who will later at some point have to leave Thailand, can't face going home and want to stay somewhere that is easier. The expat populations are growing all over the world and will continue to grow, maybe you can find somewhere else where you can make a go of it.

Buy something that is not a dump, like 3 Mb or more and you have your visa covered.

Unfortunately this option is being closed off. They are not accepting any new applications after 1 October. See here. They will now allow the existing one to keep their visas.

Until the next back-flip or somersault with pike. :o

Yes, the OP had it right.

This is a tsunami of COLD WATER on the farang oriented real estate sales and rental market, don't you think? Maybe not so much in Bangkok, but in the resorts it seems so.

Especially when added to the company ownership crackdown.

Thailand, the hub of crackdowns.

Edited by Thaiquila

Yes good point "jdinasia" - I do. But is that the case with everyone? Think about all those timeshare and outright property sales around the world - Mexico to Spain to Greece..Do any of these places restrict number of visits? I actually don't know... But I reckon many people who bought here don't have a REAL visa. But maybe the numbers are insignificant...depends who you ask I guess :o

hmmm can't see this affecting Timeshare folks .... and number of visits here is not restricted. Just the unannounced visits ... if you own property here in Thailand I just don't see an embassy or consulate turning you down

from your first post the purchaser would be able to live in his property at least 180 days ....

but with two tourist visas a year and 3 border runs between each ... that's gonna cover 360 days a year

Edited by jdinasia

hmmm can't see this affecting Timeshare folks .... and number of visits here is not restricted. Just the unannounced visits ... if you own property here in Thailand I just don't see an embassy or consulate turning you down

I don't get your point at all.

Owning property is not a specified reason for an O visa. So if multi entry O's dry up (and I still think they seem to easier in the UK than elsewhere), what would a person do if they didn't qualify for another visa. Serial chop stamps and tourist visas are now OUT. I really don't get how you can be so certain that just owning property would make a person secure for long stay.

This is not a problem, this should only really effect those that have nothing to offer the country, or are taking something from the country such as illegal workers on low wages.

Anyone who wants to stay longer can get the visa, simple. The only people who can't get this visa are those too busy to get to the Thai Embassey, but they would not have time to come for that long anyway.

Also I expect you could be issued with many 30 day visa's if you only stayed a few days at a time and not the full 30 days. If you want to stay 30 days or longer get the visa.

There's another way that's pretty simple if you want to stay longer, find a Thai with a business, get them to employ you, get work permit, and never turn up to work, you pay all cost of WP and non B visa, give them a monthly fee and live here happily ever after.

If you can't afford to do that maybe you should go to Cambodia, vietnam, latin america or somewhere cheaper with easier immigration rules and future growth prospects. Thailand is making it clear that they do not want you here, which means your future chances of success here are diminishing and they will diminish further as the government find more ways to make things difficult for you.

Instead of being slowly forced out by new Thai rules, find somewhere else and try and find a way to cash in on all the others who will later at some point have to leave Thailand, can't face going home and want to stay somewhere that is easier. The expat populations are growing all over the world and will continue to grow, maybe you can find somewhere else where you can make a go of it.

Doesn't need to be a Thai; anyone with a business. I predict this will happen and be a sweet little income earner. Of course, the business owner COULD get burned if caught.