Measures to deter youths from smoking

webfact

Measures to deter youths from smoking

BANGKOK, 27 May 2015 (NNT) - The Cabinet on Tuesday endorsed a proposal to increase the minimum age of cigarette buyers in Thailand to 20 years of age, deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkumnerd said.

Maj.Gen. Sansern said the tobacco-control bill would also prohibit people to buy and sell individual cigarettes. Thus, people can buy cigarettes by the pack.

In addition, cigarette manufacturers and importers will not be allowed to sponsor or endorse social activities, These measures will help deter youths from smoking, he said.

In Thailand, there are approximately 11.5 million smokers, with about 100,000 new smokers each year, according to the Action on Smoking and Health Foundation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-27 footer_n.gif

Cabinet endorses new cigarette control bill‏

5-26-2015-9-38-42-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet on Tuesday approved in principle a new tobacco products bill which seeks to tighten up the sale of tobacco products or cigarette to minors and at public places and cigarette promotion.

Proposed by the Public Health Ministry, the bill will replace the Tobacco Products Control Act B.E. 2535 and the Non-smokers’ Health Protection Act B.E, 2535.

In essence, the bill seeks to increase the minimum age of cigarette or tobacco products buyers to 20 from 18; to ban sale of unpacked cigarettes and sale through pretties and to ban sale of cigarettes at public places such as temples, entertainment venues, health offices, educational institutes and public parks.

Cigarette advertisements in the form of sports and competition sponsorships will also be prohibited besides advertisement ban through the media, movies and computer network.

Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Yutthawong said that the new measure will also cover other products which have nicotine ingredient such as electric cigarettes and baragu.

Under the bill, selling cigarettes or tobacco products to buyers under 20 is liable to one year imprisonment and/or a fine of 20,000 baht instead of one month and/or a fine of 2,000 baht.

Cigarette smoking in smoking-free areas will be liable to a fine of 5,000 baht instead of 2,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-endorses-new-cigarette-control-bill%e2%80%8f

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-27

Three small mom and pop stores within a few hundred meters of my house and just who is going to control them ?

I'm not a smoker so it doesn't affect me but I do appreciate as soon as their doors open they sell ' refreshments '.

While the idea is noble, just having a new law does not mean that people will automatically abide by it.

Why don't they just initially enforce the current regulation (underage people cannot buy cigarettes)before they make a new law.

And before they raise the minimum age of smoking, why don't the powers-that-be take a small look at the number of underage motorcycle riders,

the number of non-licensed drivers or both cars and motorcycles and the number of people riding without helmets and down the wrong side of the road., drunk driving,

people using telephones while driving, seat-belts,endemic speeding, ignoring traffic lights and I could go on and on.

Raise the age of smoking .... ? Bah, sort out the problems with other laws first before new ones are made.

Do like Australia did, triple the price of cigarettes and that will deter many from smoking..

but than again, smuggling will increase just as fast....

Uh, yeah. Then everyone smokes black market cigarettes. No tax revenue, and they might be even worse for you. Then the Aussie government helpfully made the packs generic and easy to copy.

I think the Thai government is going to fail if this is all that they are doing. If not lung cancer and breathing problems will cost the government more with all the adverse effects of smoking. Doing to little to protect the young and old smokers!

Preventing or deterring youngsters from smoking is impossible whilst Mom & Pop shops sell 'singles'. I see it every day in my village, it's always young boys, I never see girls purchase them. As for drastically increasing the price it would't work in this neck of the woods, just nip over the Cambodian border 10kms away and purchase a carton of 200 for 100 baht.

If they enforce this, ID will have to be produced before purchase. Can you imagine the delays in the 7-11s as the staff try to work out someone's age from their ID card?

I remain confident that this will not happen in our lifetime.

Only people getting busted these days are penis & booby shaped soap pedlars.

Why do we keep pussy-footing around with the murderous tobacco barons and their parasitic accomplices in the marketing and advertising industry and the mass media?

The lobbying system must be even more effective than we realised. How else could governments continue to sanction sales of a product - laced with a drug said to be as hard to kick as heroin - which kills and cripples millions of smoking addicts across the world.

A gentle rap over knuckles from the Thai health ministry is gesture politics. Manufacturers of these aptly-named "coffin nails" should be made to feel the full force of swingeing new laws banning the sale and promotion of cigarettes containing nicotine.

Their profits and assets from this evil trade should be seized and diverted into public coffers to offset the cost to the taxpayer of providing care and compensation to victims and their families..

Do like Australia did, triple the price of cigarettes and that will deter many from smoking..

Why don't they triple the beer prices as well, and maybe that will get rid of many of the drunken stupid arse holes

Why don't they triple the beer prices as well, and maybe that will get rid of many of the drunken stupid arse holes
Won't help, they'll still be flocking in from England and Wales.

Tax the H. out of cigarettes, might deter some young smokers most who have little money. Food or smokes, what shall I choose?

Wouldn't deter my Thai nephew who is in Uni. His parents pay everything for him. Going to buy him a new m'bike ( already has 3 )- a ciggie tax hike isn't going to stop them giving him whatever he wants.