General Cost of Daily Sundries

Gumballl

I'll be back in Korat, on holiday, in mid-July, after nearly a 2 year absence. I will be staying in my wife's house, which is about 20 km from the 'center' of Korat (i.e. the Mall).

I realize the cost of living in Thailand has undoubtedly changed since I was last there. I was wondering if someone could weigh in with the current costs of some items I have in mind that I typically partake while on holiday:

• 1 propane tank (for cooking)
  • 20 kg jasmine rice
  • 1 kg shrimp
  • 1 kg pork
  • case of beer (12 x 650 ml) Chang
  • 750 ml bottle of Sang Som
  • 750 ml bottle of Whiskey (not rice-whiskey)
  • case of Pepsi (24 cans)
  • pizza (one topping)

Other not so typical items:

• Blender (for juices. mixed drinks) [wife says this will cost about 800 baht]
  • Batteries (specifically AAA)

Lastly, I would like to acquire two SIM cards from a provider that offers talk/sms/data -- but only for a short period (less than a month). Can you recommend a company?

P.S. If you are wondering why I ask for these cost through TVF, and not through the wife, it is because I need cost figures based on reality, not those based on jaded viewpoints. Also, I'm trying to figure out a budget for my time in LOS, so that I know how much mullah to transfer ahead of time.

You don't seriously expect anyone to give you a detailed answer, do you?

All the items are more expensive than they were two years ago, The price of shrimps is variable and also depends on size.

All the items are more expensive than they were two years ago, The price of shrimps is variable and also depends on size.

Well, maybe back here in the US where everybody is stuck up. But jeez, I never expected trolls to be that way. I guess I learn something every day.

By the way, if you ever need help... seriously... just bleed on the side of the street.

Big C & Tesco Lotus have websites. Maybe that would help your shopping list???[emoji41]

I was looking for Mom & Pop store prices; I rarely go to the western stores to buy local products. But thanks anyhow; I will attempt to Google for the store sites.

OK I'll try and help with a few items.

Propane gas 350baht

Case Chang beer 550baht

Kilo pork 140baht.

Pizza 150-200baht.

Of course prices vary from place to place and shopping at local markets can often be much cheaper than supermarkets.

Can't help you with the spirits I'm afraid, I don't touch them, but I can tell you that a bottle of Laokhow costs 80baht.

Mrs Jessi payed 70B for one pineapple yesterday at the market which I thought was way over priced, but but it was the best pineapple I have had for many years.

Thailand is getting very expensive.coffee1.gif

Thanks Toknarok and Jessi.

The prices are indeed incredibly high. I recall a case of Chang (not cold) being only 330 Baht. Sang Som, if I recall, used to cost around 210-240 Baht. It appears that the price of pizza remains unchanged.

I'm coming soon to Thailand, with the wife and two kids, for a 3 week holiday, and I was hoping that a budget of 2000 baht per day would suffice, but this may prove to be unrealistic. Aside from the food/drink, I will also need to procure mundane things such as laundry detergent, bath soap, and other toiletries. To top it off, then I have include taxi fares, water and electricity bills, and then the SIM card costs I mentioned in my OP.

I've bought most of these in the last couple of weeks!

• 1 propane tank (for cooking) - I paid 385 baht last week (thought it might have been a falang price as the previous one 6 months ago was 330)
  • 20 kg jasmine rice - 5kg bags of Mali Hom Jasmine rice run at 160 to 210 baht in Tesco. Not that much cheaper when you buy bulk from a merchant and you can't trust quality unless you know them and their rices
  • 1 kg shrimp - still high post disease - small ones 220 baht in Tesco. Price varies weekly +/- 40. Large ones 350 baht. Tiger prawns - mortgage job
  • 1 kg pork. Still cheap at 150 baht (beef now 300 baht/kg!) in fresh market. Cheaper re-thawed pork in Tesco
  • case of beer (12 x 650 ml) Chang 550 baht (12 x 640ml)
  • 750 ml bottle of Sang Som. 280 baht (700ml)
  • 750 ml bottle of Whiskey (not rice-whiskey) 100 Pipers 400 baht (700ml) Benmore a little cheaper. JW Red 610 baht (700ml)
  • case of Pepsi (24 cans) 275 baht
  • pizza (one topping) 180-200 baht
  • Blender (for juices. mixed drinks) Cheap one - 500 baht. Japanese/EU/lasting 1,250+
  • AAA batteries - Tesco own label long life alkaline; 42 baht for 5
  • Dunno about Sim cards. A simple non-smart phone (calls/SMS/no data) 600-800 baht with PAYGO credit extra

One litre of diesel 26.5 baht with motorcye benzine now only a little more

Sisaket housewifehusbandtongue.png

Wow! How does the average Thai person 'survive' with these costs? A kilo of pork is half-a-days salary for a layman that earns minimum wage. It seems that those earning the minimum wage are unable to survive.

In the US:

Jasmine Rice (from Thailand) is around $16-$18 for 20kg bag

12-pack of Pepsi between $2.99 and $3.99 (when on sale).

Pizza (one topping) $10 [note quality is not good; comparable to Pizza Company pizza]

The beer is a lot more than I recall, but comparable to US prices (for a domestic and mass produced beer). The whiskey and rum are definitely less expensive, as are the batteries.

Wow! How does the average Thai person 'survive' with these costs? A kilo of pork is half-a-days salary for a layman that earns minimum wage. It seems that those earning the minimum wage are unable to survive.

They survive by not eating a kg of pork each day :)

But yes, in general someone on 300THB per day, without support/alternative income, is usually just surviving not living (or trying to at least).

Big C & Tesco Lotus have websites. Maybe that would help your shopping list???[emoji41]

I was looking for Mom & Pop store prices; I rarely go to the western stores to buy local products. But thanks anyhow; I will attempt to Google for the store sites.

big C, Tesco and macro are not western stores ,they cater for thais and that is where the mom and pop stores buy there stock

With meat being so expensive these days the locals tend to eat a lot of fish. One fish (farmed) costs 20-30baht and that together with a lot of rice and a few veggies is the main meal of the day for a whole family.

With meat being so expensive these days the locals tend to eat a lot of fish. One fish (farmed) costs 20-30baht and that together with a lot of rice and a few veggies is the main meal of the day for a whole family.

One fish caught is free. One chicken from the stock in the garden is free. Fruit from the tree is free. Rice from the field is free(ish)

That is how the poor folk live in Issan. Eating fresh and healthy food that they have reared and grown themselves. Some people call it survival. They call it happy, carefree living.

I've bought most of these in the last couple of weeks!

• 1 propane tank (for cooking) - I paid 385 baht last week (thought it might have been a falang price as the previous one 6 months ago was 330)
  • 20 kg jasmine rice - 5kg bags of Mali Hom Jasmine rice run at 160 to 210 baht in Tesco. Not that much cheaper when you buy bulk from a merchant and you can't trust quality unless you know them and their rices
  • 1 kg shrimp - still high post disease - small ones 220 baht in Tesco. Price varies weekly +/- 40. Large ones 350 baht. Tiger prawns - mortgage job
  • 1 kg pork. Still cheap at 150 baht (beef now 300 baht/kg!) in fresh market. Cheaper re-thawed pork in Tesco
  • case of beer (12 x 650 ml) Chang 550 baht (12 x 640ml)
  • 750 ml bottle of Sang Som. 280 baht (700ml)
  • 750 ml bottle of Whiskey (not rice-whiskey) 100 Pipers 400 baht (700ml) Benmore a little cheaper. JW Red 610 baht (700ml)
  • case of Pepsi (24 cans) 275 baht
  • pizza (one topping) 180-200 baht
  • Blender (for juices. mixed drinks) Cheap one - 500 baht. Japanese/EU/lasting 1,250+
  • AAA batteries - Tesco own label long life alkaline; 42 baht for 5
  • Dunno about Sim cards. A simple non-smart phone (calls/SMS/no data) 600-800 baht with PAYGO credit extra

One litre of diesel 26.5 baht with motorcye benzine now only a little more

Sisaket housewifehusbandtongue.png

The price for gas is not a falang price. In town , Sisaket , you pay now 415 Baht. Yesterday
Box chang classic 585 Baht

The gas and beer have gone up because of tax increases.

The price of gas has increased due to the gradual lowering of subsidies. As usage of LPG in cars has increased the subsidies have been lowered, as the original subsidies was only intended for cooking gas. I now pay 410 baht. Beginning of last year was 330.

For somebody visiting for only 3 weeks, you seem to have long term attitude for a short term vacation. Or have I missed something?

Yep. Seems that you've missed the plot.

The OP's only asking for primary expenses, already knowing that the secondary expenses will be massive.

Somebody in the family must have had an accident and stays at a very expensive hospital, of course will the OP pay for all bills.

After such a long time, motorbikes, cars, etc are worn out and the urgently needed replacement will -of course- be paid by such a generous OP.

When such guys visit the family, it's pretty common that the whole area will come by to celebrate with the "farang". The farang will be taken to a temple and a small donation of let's say 25 K will make sure that the plane on the flight back will constantlystay on the radar.

KFC, Pizza Hut, Company ans KM is a must visit, when a foreigner comes from a country, where ATM cards grow on trees.

Wifey lost some rice fields when she played cards with the local gamble mafia, but a farang can easily find the solution, pay the a 7-8 digit amount back and make all involved happy.

But considering that the rice seems to be cheaper in the States, the OP could bring a 20 kg sack as a present from America.

Almost forgot, the family somehow involved in rice farming needs a new Kubota, the old was modified into a car to get the kids to school.

Hmm, some family trips should be added, money isn't an issue at all. Life's great. . thumbsup.gif

For somebody visiting for only 3 weeks, you seem to have long term attitude for a short term vacation. Or have I missed something?

The OP's only asking for primary expenses, already knowing that the secondary expenses will be massive.

Somebody in the family must have had an accident and stays at a very expensive hospital, of course will the OP pay for all bills.

After such a long time, motorbikes, cars, etc are worn out and the urgently needed replacement will -of course- be paid by such a generous OP.

When such guys visit the family, it's pretty common that the whole area will come by to celebrate with the "farang". The farang will be taken to a temple and a small donation of let's say 25 K will make sure that the plane on the flight back will constantlystay on the radar.

KFC, Pizza Hut, Company ans KM is a must visit, when a foreigner comes from a country, where ATM cards grow on trees.

Wifey lost some rice fields when she played cards with the local gamble mafia, but a farang can easily find the solution, pay the a 7-8 digit amount back and make all involved happy.

But considering that the rice seems to be cheaper in the States, the OP could bring a 20 kg sack as a present from America.

Almost forgot, the family somehow involved in rice farming needs a new Kubota, the old was modified into a car to get the kids to school.

Hmm, some family trips should be added, money isn't an issue at all. Life's great. . thumbsup.gif

Well, I sure hope my vacation is as exciting as your crystal ball has predicted it to be.

Typically, I just lounge in the air-conditioned house doing F-All, having drinks and either watching a movie or listening to music. My wife and kids are outside, sweating their rears off in the unrelenting heat -- simply because they choose to do so.

For the 3-week period, bets are that I will not have access to the internet, cable-TV, or even a bar of any sort, nor the opportunity to have an intelligent conversation (in English, of course)... all of which has its benefits.

Btw, for what it is worth, my wife's family never asks for any money. I guess I got lucky in that sense, unlike some of the active tossers here on TVF.

Well, I sure hope my vacation is as exciting as your crystal ball has predicted it to be.

Typically, I just lounge in the air-conditioned house doing F-All, having drinks and either watching a movie or listening to music. My wife and kids are outside, sweating their rears off in the unrelenting heat -- simply because they choose to do so.

For the 3-week period, bets are that I will not have access to the internet, cable-TV, or even a bar of any sort, nor the opportunity to have an intelligent conversation (in English, of course)... all of which has its benefits.

Btw, for what it is worth, my wife's family never asks for any money. I guess I got lucky in that sense, unlike some of the active tossers here on TVF.

...... and you call that a vacation ?? biggrin.png

Only joking, I am sure it will be very relaxing.

You often get some "bitten" guys on here thinking that everything is the same as what happened to them.

Take no notice. Have a great holiday.

Well, maybe back here in the US where everybody is stuck up. But jeez, I never expected trolls to be that way. I guess I learn something every day.

By the way, if you ever need help... seriously... just bleed on the side of the street.

What was that about? Do you expect people to walk around the market/Makro/BigC next time they go there, writing down the prices of this stuff? Your quaint little list has no relation to what it would cost to live in Thailand, everybody has a different situation. If you were to ask, 'can I live on ฿2000.- a day you might expect some intelligent answers, but telling you what shrimps cost when there are so many variables (I have seen prices from ฿190 to ฿390 recently) would be a waste of time. Many vegetables are cheaper in Makro than in the local market. And the other way around. I did offer the advice that things were more expensive than a few years ago, don't thank me for that.

Your remark about mom and pop stores: these are valued and appreciated by all of us but they are not cheaper than Makro, you have a lot to learn.

I don't think you will make it in Thailand with your attitude. By the way, if I see you on the other side of the street bleeding, I will come and help.

That's OK --- I willingly on occasion give money to the parents of my non-English speaking girlfriend of 5 + years in exchange for not having to marry their voluptuous much younger-than-me daughter.

BTW I hope you have a memorable 3-week vacation in Isaan although -- from the sound of things -- you may be in no condition to remember it.

Archived