How is gaming in chiang mai ?

popje

Hi everyone, I am going to thailand for 6+ months and was wondering how is the gaming there, I went in thailand 5 years ago but only for a month so gaming was out of the question, now I am going to relax and study so I am not gonna go visit temples and do trekking everyday, I have a very decent gaming laptop but some lan parties with other people and beer would be nice, I am going to be in the north most of the time (chiang mai, chiang rai) last time I went there I don't remember seeing any gaming cafe or gaming bars, at least not with any game I could recognize. So here are my questions:

1. Is there any gaming centre/cafe/bar that own Xbox ones ? I won't bring mine and I really want to play Halo 5 when it comes out

2. Is there a lot of gaming centre/cafe/bar in chiang mai ? What do people play ? Do everyone play on their own or they organize tournaments and stuff like that ?

3. How good is the connection if I play on US servers lets say I have a decent internet connection ?

I know of no such places in Chiang Mai. That may be because I'm not interested in "gaming", as the OP phrases it, but methinks it may actually be because such places don't exist.

(The people who run Las Vegas would like to have a word with you about your definition of "gaming".)

I know of no such places in Chiang Mai. That may be because I'm not interested in "gaming", as the OP phrases it, but methinks it may actually be because such places don't exist.

(The people who run Las Vegas would like to have a word with you about your definition of "gaming".)

Well I sure didn't meant gambling, I know there is gaming cafes in bangkok and I know I saw at least one gaming cafe in chiang mai when I went there with people playing games on computers.

Is that the Las Vegas near the old Escape?

Lots of gaming went on in there in the 90's

There are gaming cafe's on almost every corner in Chiang Mai. All the "net" cafes that were here last time, have been converted to gaming cafes. You'll have more of an issue sorting through who has good equipment,games,players rather than finding them. Most of them are "in-house/Lan Party" types, but cater to the younger crowd. The latency on Thai internet is still off so online gaming may be tough.

OP, they do have several Internet shops around town that cater to those that like online PC gaming, but I've never seen any that have Xbox or Play Stations in them to use. Most of these places have systems preloaded with the most common MMO and FPS games, but they are all in Thai and based in Thailand. I would never use them as many of these places have password loggers that can steal your password and then they will log into your account and steal/sell all your stuff.

Can you play MMO's and FPS's here in Thailand on your own computer while logged into your American based server account? By all means, Yes! but you won't be happy with your results if your a big PVP'er in MMO's or usually quicker than others in FPS games. ALL connections going outside the country are throttled. You will have a minimum of 300MS latency delay above and beyond your connection to the game servers are. This is fine for PVE, but you won't like the latency at all.

There are gaming cafe's on almost every corner in Chiang Mai. All the "net" cafes that were here last time, have been converted to gaming cafes. You'll have more of an issue sorting through who has good equipment,games,players rather than finding them. Most of them are "in-house/Lan Party" types, but cater to the younger crowd. The latency on Thai internet is still off so online gaming may be tough.

Thanks, thats what I thought, ever seen an xbox one in one of them ?

OP, they do have several Internet shops around town that cater to those that like online PC gaming, but I've never seen any that have Xbox or Play Stations in them to use. Most of these places have systems preloaded with the most common MMO and FPS games, but they are all in Thai and based in Thailand. I would never use them as many of these places have password loggers that can steal your password and then they will log into your account and steal/sell all your stuff.

Can you play MMO's and FPS's here in Thailand on your own computer while logged into your American based server account? By all means, Yes! but you won't be happy with your results if your a big PVP'er in MMO's or usually quicker than others in FPS games. ALL connections going outside the country are throttled. You will have a minimum of 300MS latency delay above and beyond your connection to the game servers are. This is fine for PVE, but you won't like the latency at all.

Thanks, yeah I remember when I came to thailand the first time, after a few weeks there I wanted my dose of World of Warcraft, after looking at like 6 cafe, I couldn't find the game anywhere, everyone were playing weird MMO's I never heard about, I don't play WoW anymore but I play a bunch of other games, if I get over 100MS, any PVP or shooters is out of the question, I think I'll just play offline games, I'll probably try an asian MMO or something like that, I saw a bunch of incoming asian games that looks awesome, especially Lost Ark Online and Lineage Eternal. I guess I'll find a local with an xbox one, buy Halo 5, give him 30 baht and play on his console when the game comes out, I really don't want to bring my Xbox one for just one game.

This is a good thread that I have a lot of interest in

I have never seen a game cafe in CM... However

If you're into games as i'm sure you are, unfortunately PC gaming no longer has the best experience IMHO

It used to be the best place to play games but not anymore

My reasons for this are as follows:-

All the best games are now console exclusives

PS4 has The last of us, Bloodborne and soon uncharted 4

The first two are amazing games and i'm sure Uncharted 4 will be as well when it's out

Xboxone has Halo 5 and gears of war coming soon

Plus Destiny (despite getting a stupid IGN review) is an amazing game that's only on consoles

The above 6 games are some of the best games ever made and you can't play them on PC

So my advice for gaming in Thailand is to get a PS4 not an Xboxone

I have heard that Microsoft didn't see Thailand as a worth while investment so you can't play any games online with the xboxone

Considering how important multiplayer is in most new games this renders the xboxone a bit useless

I'm considering buying an xboxone if i can play halo and gears campaign but will not be expecting to ever play online with it

If anyone has heard anything different please let me know

So Popje if you really value gaming I would get a PS4 from Lazada for 13,000 baht

Then send me a message here and add me as i'm on it every evening and weekend

This is a good thread that I have a lot of interest in

I have never seen a game cafe in CM... However

If you're into games as i'm sure you are, unfortunately PC gaming no longer has the best experience IMHO

It used to be the best place to play games but not anymore

My reasons for this are as follows:-

All the best games are now console exclusives

PS4 has The last of us, Bloodborne and soon uncharted 4

The first two are amazing games and i'm sure Uncharted 4 will be as well when it's out

Xboxone has Halo 5 and gears of war coming soon

Plus Destiny (despite getting a stupid IGN review) is an amazing game that's only on consoles

The above 6 games are some of the best games ever made and you can't play them on PC

So my advice for gaming in Thailand is to get a PS4 not an Xboxone

I have heard that Microsoft didn't see Thailand as a worth while investment so you can't play any games online with the xboxone

Considering how important multiplayer is in most new games this renders the xboxone a bit useless

I'm considering buying an xboxone if i can play halo and gears campaign but will not be expecting to ever play online with it

If anyone has heard anything different please let me know

So Popje if you really value gaming I would get a PS4 from Lazada for 13,000 baht

Then send me a message here and add me as i'm on it every evening and weekend

Thanks for your input, first of all, I already own a gaming laptop that I will bring with me, I also own a Xbox One but I don't want to bring it along just to play Halo 5, I don't want to buy a PS4 there as I won't be staying in CM for more than like 6 months, I just wish there would be some kind of cafe where I could pay per hour to play console games, I am a big gamer, but I will be fine with PC games, I am a very big fan of Halo though, I would be really disappointed if there no way I can play it without buying an Xbox One when the game come out. I don't mind waiting to get home to play other Xbox One/PS4 games, but there is no way I can bring or buy a console since I will keep "backpacking" all around south asia after thailand. Xbox one online not working is disappointing, but considering Microsoft is a US company and Sony is a Japanese company, it kinda make sense.

tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngclap2.gif

Not a gamer but the one thing I noticed was some said they were on every corner and some just said yes.

But no body could tell you where. So I would imagine it will be a chore to find one.

Yes there are a few internet shops around town but not that many. The day is gone when there were ones all over town. You couldn't walk down the street with out passing one.

Edited by northernjohn