Thai govt unveils 12-nation 'Friends of Thailand' bloc

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The diplomats, who are ambassadors to the United Nations, hail from Antigua and Barbuda, Burundi, Central African Republic, Comoros, Dominican Republic, Gabon, Ghana, Kiribati, Hungary, Nauru, Vanuatu, and Cameroon.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that karaoke evening being entertained by the top brass.

Edited by mca

^^ I am always skeptical at the language chosen for these Thai PBS stories. This was probably just some ordinary meeting or something. Quite possible the domestic media is taking the piss, too.

I think I wrote somewhere it was a Nana Plaza related meeting,

meeting took place on 2nd floor in a separee !!

Instead of going after those wonderful countries the Thais should be going after all the S.E. Asian countries to form a true defense agreement like something along the lines of NATO. So, if one is attacked they all come to the rescue... Otherwise this article and the new face book friends are really a non event...

" Barbuda, Burundi, Central African Republic, Comoros, Dominican Republic, Gabon, Ghana, Kiribati, Hungary, Nauru, Vanuatu, and Cameroon." All have top notch quality tourist available. whistling.gif

Well I can find Hungary on the map.....

One (almost useless) bonus of my ham radio hobby is that I know the location of every single nation on the planet saai.gif

I guess there aren't many people around who know the locations of these countries without looking at the map.

Including myself unsure.png

How did Hungary manage to sneak in there - was the ambassador fooled by some pretty into thinking he was doing a survey on tourism?

Most likely a junket.

Hungary will not deviate from the common policy established by the EU on this matter. It also has minimal investments at risk in Thailand.

N. Korea will be added to the list next week along with Sealand

So that's why Scotland wanted independence, so they could sign up to FOT....unlucky, you could have been in with the big boys! Edited by Ghostnigel

Some interesting info about Nauru, one of Thailand's friends.

It has a population 9,378 and measures 21km2.

And, it is also home to a large migrant detention camp http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/26/government-spent-24bn-over-two-years-maintaining-nauru-and-manus

Maybe Nauru is where Thailand plans to send all the Rohingya?

Edit to add - Whilst members of the Nauru govt was today busy making friends with Thailand, it was also being widely criticized for restricting freedom of expression, blocking Internet services including Facebook and obstructing the free flow of information: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/274770/ngos-condemn-nauru's-censorship

"NGOs say they are also deeply troubled by an amendment to the criminal code which restricts freedom of speech, what can be reported and public protests."

Sound familiar?

Edited by pinkpanther99

Oh the Irony.... to go from playing footsie (allegedly) with the President of the USA to being best mates with The Central African Republic. ....

Far better company and certainly more trustworthy than Obama!

Would Naruans be considered "farang kee nok"?

Well, since Nauru is not listed as part of the Guano (bird shit) Islands Act of 1856, I guess not, also because they are Micronesian and not Caucasian..

This is really quite interesting. Maybe the other 'Friends of Thailand' share similar views?

It is perhaps also quite telling that no SE Asian nations make up this dream team of nations.

Hungary is a curious one. All those other countries[1] are known for selling their UN votes or passports, registering dodgy seagoing vessels, helping dubious characters hide their money etc. Stuff you can do if you're technically a country.

Nauru made a few bucks allowing Australia to use its territory to dodge UN treaty obligations not that long ago for example. Taiwan used to pay at least a few of these places for diplomatic recognition before China outbid them. It would be interesting to know what Thailand is giving them in return.

This is pretty embarressing really. Especially for Hungary.

[1] the subset I know anything about, anyway.

Edited by cocopops