Thai govt unveils 12-nation 'Friends of Thailand' bloc

webfact

Thai Govt Unveils 12-Nation 'Friends of Thailand' Bloc
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK – Diplomats from twelve countries are visiting Bangkok today as a part of the Foreign Ministry's effort to form a new diplomatic bloc that promotes Thailand's standing in the international community, a government spokesperson said.

"They visited Thailand through our program of creating a network of alliances for Thailand - called Friends of Thailand - which has been formed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs," said Maj.Gen. Weerachon Sukhonthapatipak.

The diplomats, who are ambassadors to the United Nations, hail from Antigua and Barbuda, Burundi, Central African Republic, Comoros, Dominican Republic, Gabon, Ghana, Kiribati, Hungary, Nauru, Vanuatu, and Cameroon.

According to Maj.Gen. Weerachon, junta chairman and Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha met with the UN ambassadors today and told them that Thailand is undergoing a period of national reforms, and will hold an election by September 2016.

"The Prime Minister and the government will not interfere [with the election]," Maj.Gen. Weerachon said. "And he insisted that he did not want to hold on to power, and is not seeking personal gain. He is enduring all of this for his country. In the past, various conflicts prevented the country from moving forward, so it was necessary for him to step in and take care of the situation. And he insisted that Thailand is building a sustainable system of democracy."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1432708694

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-27

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the first two paragraphs had me thinking this was going to be a significant announcement -- this new "Diplomatic Block", you know, something like the G7. Trying to think what snappy name they had selected for the group -- FOT just didn't seem to have the proper gravitas. Then I kept reading and saw what countries were on board. Yeah, the I think we can come up with something suitable using FOT as a starting point.

Yeah, can you imagine what went thru the Hungarian ambassador's mind when he looked around the room and realized he was the biggest power player there? Probably something like, why am I wasting my time?

Edited by NancyL

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh my god I haven't laughed so much in years. This has to be the funniest thing ever, but still left wondering if someone is having a joke. This is the sort of thing you hear on Not the Nine O'Clock News.

PS The system wouldn't let me add enough laughing smileys

Edited by cmsally

Antigua and Barbuda, Burundi, Central African Republic, Comoros, Dominican Republic, Gabon, Ghana, Kiribati, Hungary, Nauru, Vanuatu, and Cameroon

No friends of Asia? It says a lot about the current diplomatic mess Thailand is in. I thought Japan and China and of course Brunei would be on that lost.