Spotted: new bus stop signs for the new Songthaew bus routes

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much are these new fixed route buses? I may have gotten on one by mistake at the stop light at Maya Mall -- telling him I was going to "pump Shell". He nodded, so I didn't think much of it -- just got on. But, he went whizzing down Huey Kaew and wasn't making any sign of stopping across from "pump Shell" until I starting hitting the button repeatedly like a maniac. When I got out, he grinned sort of funnily. At the time I thought maybe he just forgot I was getting out at "pump Shell" and I handed him a 20 baht note. He handed me some change and I about fell over. Maybe the grinning was because I didn't see the sign about his route number.

Was this a fixed route songthaew/driver or just a driver making an apology for forgetting to drop me off?

Winnie, the smart phone app looks nice, but not all of us have a smart phone. Is there a website with this info? I tried to enlarge the photo, but then I can't read the writing about the bus stops, and I can read Thai. And I don't want to seem like a grump, but the blue/green and red/brown colors they selected to mark the routes are really too similar and I'm getting all confused trying to determine which route is which. As in which route will take us out to the new Immigration office at Promenada?

It is almost unbelievable that something positive with public transport is happening in CM. Long overdue. I hope it succeeds.

April 1st has been and gone. This I've got to see!!

Winnie, the smart phone app looks nice, but not all of us have a smart phone. Is there a website with this info? I tried to enlarge the photo, but then I can't read the writing about the bus stops, and I can read Thai. And I don't want to seem like a grump, but the blue/green and red/brown colors they selected to mark the routes are really too similar and I'm getting all confused trying to determine which route is which. As in which route will take us out to the new Immigration office at Promenada?

None go to Promenada. ;)

Anyway the image I uploaded was large in size; suggest to download and save it and then open with any image viewer.

Info came from several Facebook sites, and this site here: http://travel.kapook.com/view119874.html as well as the Chiang Mai Bus Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chiangmaibus/1060347567326919

Link to the original image: https://goo.gl/O8jqho (Which may require being logged into Facebook. Apologies if it does.)

Go to their website below and click on "Route"... then scroll down to the interactive map...

It was all so simple before, that map made me dizzy.blink.png

It gets better!!!...

my antivirus software doesn't like that jpeg

Yeah, thanks for posting it here, because my antivirus software doesn't like chiangmaibus.org either! I presume by just pasting the image, you're not infecting us or anything. It's too bad, because that map is much, much better than the other one.

The iOS app is actually pretty good. It identifies where the various busses are, where the stops are as well as your current location so you can identify the bus to take.

It will also use your phone's camera to identify QR codes to read addresses, or something, I'm not sure yet. Some of the routes allow for Park and rude possibilities if you don't want to take your AR into town.

Let's hope this keeps.

T

On the map, the red line goes from Chang Phuek bus station to the airport and Promenada, not sure whether clockwise or anticlockwise or both. I think this is route 14, which is labelled on the website as Route "roundabout" (or a similar word which I'm guessing is a circular route).

Route 14 doesn't appear to be active.

The other routes:

Route 3 - Changphuek bus station to Tha Pae gate to the airport.

Route 5 - Changphuek bus station to Central Festival.

Route 6 - Changphuek bus station to Kaad Luang (Warorot) to Tesabaan Nong Kwai

Route 8 - Changphuek to Government offices to Nakornping Hospital

Route 10 - Changphuek bus station to Baan Buakkrog (???)

Route 11 - Changphuek bus station to Yupparaj School to Montford School.

Route 12 - Arcade bus station to Airport.

Route 13 - Changphuek to Kaad Luang (Wororot)

There are more than this, however, as none seem to be going up Huay Kaew. And I saw a route 3 on the Android app half way up Huay Kaew earlier. Hmm.

I can tell you why no buses go up Huay Kaew road. It's too damn slow. I motored out to the 700 sports stadium 3 pm today. Took 20 mins to go from 'pump Shell' to Canal Road. From there, E Z, P Z. But 20 mins at mid-day to go what, 3 km..Just too much. Get rid of MAYA.

BTW, Nancy. Promenada offers free bus service out to the Mall, 2x per day. Free. From hotels, incl Anatar, near Tha Pae Gate.

It will be interesting to see its implementation.

I assume the drivers are on a salary the same as bus drivers.

Will they stop at every bus stop or do you need to flag them down at the stop?

How will all riders in the back know where to get off you can see very little.

Who determines if the 'bus' is full or not?

How do you pay, cash or will there be a coupon system?

Will there be other songtheaws still available to go on routes not designated?

Any other questions?

re

I've taken the route map and applied a high-pass filter, and performed some other adjustments

wow thanks for that orang ... it comes out well on my note 4 :)

heres two with the route colours and qr codes that might come out on a phone or tablet !

re

I can't see the Circle, District or Northern Lines.

don't be a plonker ut :)

the nearest underground station is in terminal 21 in Bangkok !

dave2

post-42592-0-93068300-1432773529_thumb.p

post-42592-0-42085800-1432773578_thumb.j

post-42592-0-81210800-1432773606_thumb.j

post-42592-0-73275500-1432773678_thumb.j

On the map, the red line goes from Chang Phuek bus station to the airport and Promenada, not sure whether clockwise or anticlockwise or both. I think this is route 14, which is labelled on the website as Route "roundabout" (or a similar word which I'm guessing is a circular route).

The other routes:

There are more than this, however, as none seem to be going up Huay Kaew. And I saw a route 3 on the Android app half way up Huay Kaew earlier. Hmm.

On the first map posted, it does look like one of the routes goes up Huay Kaew, either route 2 or 9. Couldn't figure out which since I couldn't tell the difference between blue and green on their map. Since CMU is at the end of Huay Kaew, along with two malls along the way, you've got to think they wouldn't leave it off the route, would you?

The other routes:

On the first map posted, it does look like one of the routes goes up Huay Kaew, either route 2 or 9. Couldn't figure out which since I couldn't tell the difference between blue and green on their map. Since CMU is at the end of Huay Kaew, along with two malls along the way, you've got to think they wouldn't leave it off the route, would you?

You certainly wouldn't think so, but maybe there will be songtheaws and tuk tuks at the end of the line, waiting to help people complete their journey. biggrin.png

I've taken the route map and applied a high-pass filter, and performed some other adjustments, in PhotoShop CS6 in an attempt to make it a bit more readable for my aging eyes; I hope this is useful to you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/509136/mainroutemap_x.jpg

cheers, ~o:37;

Nice looking map. Now if they only had a chart for which color goes where. Also Just in English. Looks like all they are doing is complicating it. You might have to take more than one songthaew to get to certain places from other places. I know this is Thailand but it is an English speaking forum. also would one have to carry the whole map in their head just to know which songthaew goes where as they will probably have the destination on them in Thai.

So much simpler to stop a songthaew tell them where you want to go. They say OK and away you go. They say no you grab the next one. sounds like Pattaya. A friend of mine is visiting there and told me he had to take three songthaew's to get to his destination.

Will these routes have definite stops? If you are not there they go by you such as many do in Pattaya? Will they only let you out at these stops. Will the whole plan last?

Orang37 thanks for the map it does show the routes. Just figuring them out will be the challenge.

will they be recepricating free bus passes for the uk citizens.over 60,lol.

Yup, just take proof of address and ID to City hall and tell them you'd like a free national bus pass, like they give Thai seniors in the UK. I'm sure they will understand and issue the free pass ASAP. biggrin.png

Maybe someone's working on it?

my AVAST antivirus alerted me that the chiangmaibus website is malicious and has Virusses. please some IT expert check this. or better the MODs should delete the entire topic to prevent members without proper Virus-protection falling preypost-43883-0-23436800-1432789382_thumb.p

my AVAST antivirus alerted me that the chiangmaibus website is malicious and has Virusses. please some IT expert check this. or better the MODs should delete the entire topic to prevent members without proper Virus-protection falling preyattachicon.gif

A few people have said this to me, but it only seems to be Avast that has a problem AFAIK.

Archived