Spotted: new bus stop signs for the new Songthaew bus routes

WinnieTheKhwai

Any experiences with the new bus routes yet? I thought I might be able to find a better version (or at least one in English) of the route map but nothing so far unless anyone else has come across one.

If you type Bus Routes into the search bar at the top you will get all the info. A few maps were put up but everything in Thai. I do not see any red trucks with numbers on the front. I was hoping they would put out a map in English. I would not even mind paying for it. It is a very confusing setup. It almost seems that they the red trucks were forced into this and the way it was rolled out was well pathetic to put it mildly. It seemed to be rolled out in such a way that it was doomed to fail from the gitgo. When it first came out there was much fan fare now it has died to a whimper. It seems to me that the red trucks and tuk tuks have an iron grip on the transportation system here and will not let go. Thats LIT

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best description: The new bus system isa work in progress that can now be used by some, but only in a limited way. Many routes do not appear to be in service, and the number of buses on existing routes are few and far between, usually only one or two per route. This really looks like the pilot stage in the development of the system.

I spent some time this afternoon studying the site (Chiangmaibus.org) and the app that is available (CMTransit). Routes 1,2, 4, 7, and 9 were operating with only a total of 11 buses all in. The first thing to say is that taking the time for some study (and practical experience) along working routes, you can work out something if the travel you intend is limited. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to work out transfer points if one route alone doesn't suit your needs.

The routes have been roughly described by other posts above. It is easy to check out a route one at a time, and you can see where they intersect on line.

All in all, there is a lot of helpful information on the site --- quite understandably in Thai. Don't expect an English version. The site is too complex really to handle more than one language easily. But, it isn't that hard to figure out the location of stops on various routes, you can isolate routes to look at independent of each other, you can track the location of buses in service and the direction they are headed through GPS progress reported on the system map.

There is even a schedule for each route bus stop by bus stop. This schedule is definitely not useful at present, but you can track current bus progress enroute by GPS movement. This makes waiitng for a bus more manageable.

At home, any decent computer with zoom capability helps. A smartphone with decent zoom capability does help a lot "on the road." Location services should be activated.

The routes serve Chang Puac Bus Station quite well. That is logical as that is the regional bus station. The Arcade bus station is not as well-served. The meeting points around the moat for the suburban buses also appear to be served, for example, on the South side.

The bus stops are arrayed logically by route number, but only their relative location is evident. You'd have to work out locally the one or ones you are interested in. Huay Kaew, for example, has several bus stops. I was unable to figure out which side of the road they were on. That, of course, needs to be worked out so you go in the direction you wish. The direction in which a bus is traveling can be determined by GPS movement on your computer or on your app.

The cost for a ride is cheap: 10 for students and 15 for others. But, really, that is not a huge saving for a regular songtao ride within the city. Looping around the city by regular songtao --- via the Superhighway, for example ---can be pricer than 20.

This is an elaborate system in the early stages of development. It can not compete, in my view, with the regular songtaosystem except in some limited cases. In the future, if they stick to it, and add sufficient buses traveling at decent intervals then it has some promise. Now, for 20 a ride, the regular songtao system generally can't be beat in my book.

Later, system management will be more of a challenge. For example, and of particular concern for students, services to large schools in the area should be facilitated by laying on more buses at certain hours. Kaeo Narrawat with Chiang Mai International, Dara, and Prince Royal is hell during commuting hours. There are other school choke points, as well. Late Note: Two more buses went into service as I wrote this.

Hi,

Was it ever clarified if the bus 14 to Promenada runs in both directions?

Take a Songtaew it will be cheaper less time consuming in the long run. This poorly designed bus system will fade away over time and the taxi mafia will be back in full control again. In IMHO this whole thing was a charade from the beginning and the end will be in sight shortly. In the west we call this "being given the run around" Yeah I know I am not in the west blah blah blah heard it all before.

In the end this is another Thai scam, ... facepalm.gif

I agree I think it is a joint effort by the "taxi's" to say "hey we tried it and it didn't work" There has been an outcry to try new modern methods of transportation so the TM decided to put this Mickey Mouse plan into effect to quell the outcry. They may look at you quizzically when you ask them the rate and if they know where a certain address is but do no be fooled they are a cunning bunch who will hang onto their "monopoly" system. TIT

In the end this is another Thai scam, ... facepalm.gif

I agree I think it is a joint effort by the "taxi's" to say "hey we tried it and it didn't work" There has been an outcry to try new modern methods of transportation so the TM decided to put this Mickey Mouse plan into effect to quell the outcry. They may look at you quizzically when you ask them the rate and if they know where a certain address is but do no be fooled they are a cunning bunch who will hang onto their "monopoly" system. TIT

Boy this is wild! Where my idea of Thais being respectful people came from? They really "need" a military junta.

• 3 months later...

I tried to catch a No 2 yesterday to head into town from just north of Maya. A Thai guy was waiting too. Despite our waving and hollering the bus sailed past the stop in the far lane, obviously with no intention of stopping. Only 1 passenger on board. A saboteur driver?

Any experiences with the new bus routes yet? I thought I might be able to find a better version (or at least one in English) of the route map but nothing so far unless anyone else has come across one.

If you type Bus Routes into the search bar at the top you will get all the info. A few maps were put up but everything in Thai. I do not see any red trucks with numbers on the front. I was hoping they would put out a map in English. I would not even mind paying for it. It is a very confusing setup. It almost seems that they the red trucks were forced into this and the way it was rolled out was well pathetic to put it mildly. It seemed to be rolled out in such a way that it was doomed to fail from the gitgo. When it first came out there was much fan fare now it has died to a whimper. It seems to me that the red trucks and tuk tuks have an iron grip on the transportation system here and will not let go. Thats LIT

With very few exceptions I don't see where a bus system would be as good as the songthaew's.

To limited in the area it would cover. Only main roads and it would take a lot more routes to even do that.

Chiang Mai is like most city's around the world they were never originally planned for growth.

Do they not have a system for songthaew's to go from point A to point B on the certain route's already. How is that working out?

Archived