Spotted: new bus stop signs for the new Songthaew bus routes

WinnieTheKhwai

I think it's really too bad that people are getting warnings about the redbus web site. I am not saying to not heed the warnings, but there is a LOT more information on that web site.

They have maps of the individual routes, where the bus stops are, etc. Oh, yeah! and timetables... if the vehicles make the timetables. I hope people will give it a chance to work. I doubt it will be perfect, and certainly not perfect overnight.

I will not be surprised by complaints about the web site if anyone should be able to view it somehow.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winnie, the smart phone app looks nice, but not all of us have a smart phone. Is there a website with this info? I tried to enlarge the photo, but then I can't read the writing about the bus stops, and I can read Thai. And I don't want to seem like a grump, but the blue/green and red/brown colors they selected to mark the routes are really too similar and I'm getting all confused trying to determine which route is which. As in which route will take us out to the new Immigration office at Promenada?

Go to their website below and click on "Route"... then scroll down to the interactive map...

When I click on the link I get an Avast virus warning. I get the same when I clik on the thread

Winnie, the smart phone app looks nice, but not all of us have a smart phone. Is there a website with this info? I tried to enlarge the photo, but then I can't read the writing about the bus stops, and I can read Thai. And I don't want to seem like a grump, but the blue/green and red/brown colors they selected to mark the routes are really too similar and I'm getting all confused trying to determine which route is which. As in which route will take us out to the new Immigration office at Promenada?

Go to their website below and click on "Route"... then scroll down to the interactive map...

When I clik on the link my Avast virus detector goes off and there is a message comes up "No Data Received" I have never had my virus detector go of on TV.

my AVAST antivirus alerted me that the chiangmaibus website is malicious and has Virusses. please some IT expert check this. or better the MODs should delete the entire topic to prevent members without proper Virus-protection falling preyattachicon.gif

A few people have said this to me, but it only seems to be Avast that has a problem AFAIK.

Yes.

And besides it's a jpg image. Images are by definition harmless.

Let's not derail the topic with Avast tantrums and other scareware.

Just because a machine can print 1 point fonts, doesn't mean that you should make a map with one point fonts. I like the blown up maps shown above, but they would be very difficult on a smartphone. Good start, just needs improvements.

When I click on the link I get an Avast virus warning. I get the same when I clik on the thread

All I get is this page will not connect. If the web service is any indication of the songthaew service we can forget it. I have to admit orang37 gave a nice map. Just doesn't give information in English or for that matter in Thai of hours they run what time at each stop can you get on and off at any place on the route. That is a secret if you have a good virus checker. Even then I bet it will be in Thai and not as readable as isorang37 map.

will they be recepricating free bus passes for the uk citizens.over 60,lol.

Yup, just take proof of address and ID to City hall and tell them you'd like a free national bus pass, like they give Thai seniors in the UK. I'm sure they will understand and issue the free pass ASAP. biggrin.png

Maybe someone's working on it?

going to have some of that,do you think I will have to get there about 4am,to beat the many people excpected,for this give away.

the maps and timetables are at the stops, all in Thai, saw one sign with a map and stated prices of 10-15 baht so you may occasionally get handed back a coin.

I was under the understanding that there already was a couple of fixed routes at a 10 or 15 baht rate.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif I am an extremely rich retiree I just hand them a 20 baht bill and walk away.whistling.gif

the maps and timetables are at the stops, all in Thai, saw one sign with a map and stated prices of 10-15 baht so you may occasionally get handed back a coin.

Maybe the driver will give out tickets, therefore change would be mandatory as on public buses.

If you can read Thai, then the website is excellent imho. I didn't have any issues with malware when accessing the site, I use Kaspersky anti-virus for my notebook.

I hope that this new songteow/bus system works and sticks around for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...

re

What has happened to the proposal to have prominent numbered signs on the front of some songthaews ( as in the pictures in the OP ) showing bus route numbers?

I haven't seen a single one year has anyone else?

here ya go :)

i was waiting for someone at thaphae gate and had downloaded the app on my note 8 to see if it worked and it did

i watched all off them moving around town and waited to see if the number 2 coming up thaphae road arrived .... and there it was :)

screenshot taken 30 seconds before the pic

dave2

post-42592-0-08537700-1435583276_thumb.j

post-42592-0-01491600-1435583320_thumb.p

Well.....

Go on holiday for a couple of weeks and what happens?

This thread was actually started the day we left so I didn't see it. Fortunately I've spotted it just as we're starting the journey back to CM or I'd have missed it altogether and not known about this new bus service. I'm also getting a malware warning, but I'll get around that somehow (Avast believes that chiangmaibus.org is a bad site). A welcome addition to the city.

(Today is my first day in England that I don't have to wear a hoodie to keep me warm).

I went to google playstore and it told me that the app is not compatible with any of my devices - I have old and new ones registered. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I sent a false-positive report to Avast, hopefully it will be unblocked by this time tomorrow. I disabled Avast and went to the site, it is very good for Thai-readers. For the rest of us mere mortals, I filled in a comment form letting them know that Avast is blocking it and requesting (ever so sweetly) that they consider making a copy of the map and routes in English language. Hopefully they will, as with just a quick look at the site it is going to be a bit difficult to figure everything out. I wasn't able to get a copy of orang's picture, if anyone saved a copy I would be grateful.

This really is a good addition to Chiang Mai, and it looks like they will run very regularly. My only peev (and it's very small) is that they have used red trucks that look the same as all the other red trucks apart from the board on the front. Perhaps over time they will convert to another colour to make them more obvious. Tourists, once they have info and route maps at the airport, will love this.

Well.....

Go on holiday for a couple of weeks and what happens?

This thread was actually started the day we left so I didn't see it. Fortunately I've spotted it just as we're starting the journey back to CM or I'd have missed it altogether and not known about this new bus service. I'm also getting a malware warning, but I'll get around that somehow (Avast believes that chiangmaibus.org is a bad site). A welcome addition to the city.

(Today is my first day in England that I don't have to wear a hoodie to keep me warm).

"(Today is my first day in England that I don't have to wear a hoodie to keep me warm signify my gang affiliation)."

Fixed that for ya. thumbsup.gif

Back on topic, I've seen the route signs but I have yet to see any buses that appear to be driving the routes. In time, one supposes...perhaps by the time my children retire to Thailand. laugh.png

I went to google playstore and it told me that the app is not compatible with any of my devices - I have old and new ones registered. Is anyone else having the same problem?

It could be that the app has been made available only in Thailand and that when you return from the UK it will be fine.

Songtaews would be more helpful if each says route 5 or route 2 luminated over the cab...are these designated stops/drop-offs vs continuous pick ups? Better to have the former....

I hope they will put bike racks on the front bumper on every single one that does routes - enough for two bikes..

When is the light rail system coming to the suburbs and tying into the ends of these respective routes?

Integration is the key...

CB

Songtaews would be more helpful if each says route 5 or route 2 luminated over the cab...are these designated stops/drop-offs vs continuous pick ups? Better to have the former....

I hope they will put bike racks on the front bumper on every single one that does routes - enough for two bikes..

When is the light rail system coming to the suburbs and tying into the ends of these respective routes?

CB

Its like looking for a needle in a haystack. I live close to Kad Suan Kaew and seem to understand that a bus stop is close by or in front. Ask a Songtaew driver? Your wasting your time. I would like to take a ride on all the routes to get a feel for them but have no clue where to start. Things are always like a treasure hunt here. There should have been some big innauguration day or something to get the public involved but hey like everything else here some things no matter how good they are are doomed to fail. I think the present Songtaew drivers are fighting this tooth and nail like all changes tried over the years to this archiac transportation system.

I removed all links to the chiangmai bus site including images that are linked to it due to multiple reports of warnings, my malware warning was going nuts in this topic.

As for this comment:

And besides it's a jpg image. Images are by definition harmless.

Let's not derail the topic with Avast tantrums and other scareware.

If the image is linked to a malware site it will produce the warning as it accesses the site to display. I prefer keeping members protected than taking chances that it is not a possible false positive.

CB

Its like looking for a needle in a haystack. I live close to Kad Suan Kaew and seem to understand that a bus stop is close by or in front. Ask a Songtaew driver? Your wasting your time. I would like to take a ride on all the routes to get a feel for them but have no clue where to start. Things are always like a treasure hunt here. There should have been some big innauguration day or something to get the public involved but hey like everything else here some things no matter how good they are are doomed to fail. I think the present Songtaew drivers are fighting this tooth and nail like all changes tried over the years to this archiac transportation system.

If you look at that Chiangmaibus.org website you will notice that they were meant to be 14 bus routes.

But for some reason most of them have now been blackened out!blink.png

The only ones that are highlighted are 1,2,4,7 and 9.

I wonder what the status is regarding the other 9 bus routes?giggle.gif

Any experiences with the new bus routes yet? I thought I might be able to find a better version (or at least one in English) of the route map but nothing so far unless anyone else has come across one.

I was standing out in front of BigC on HD Rd., a few weeks ago, and it turns out I was near a bus stop. I decided to give it a try, (even though I was waiting for Yellow), so I got on, paid 10 thb, and got off at RAM. Otherwise, there are four or five new stops on Suthep RD., and I have never seen a bus stop at one of them. It appears that one fo the new routes would take you from Arcade all the way to CMU, which would be a darn good deal for 10 or 15 thb, but I walked the whole way to Tha Phae Gate, and didn't see one. The schedule signs are all in Thai, with Arabic numbers, so that's not going to help.

Archived