Owning a car in Pattaya Why?

flyingsaucersarereal

Well it's not just about having money! even with " loads of money " i would still take a stroll now and again from Naklua to Jomtien ( immigration ) it's rather pleasant in fact ( it wouldn't even enter my mind of catching a baht bus or risking my life on a motorbike ) a nice Kenny Lynch suntan and a bottle of water and you feel " bright and dandy " ...... x

C.S thumbsup.gif

true! i never feel more bright and dandy than on those weekends when i walk from Pattaya to Bangkok to savour a beer and take a look at the fair maidens in Soi Cowboy.

crazy.gif

Bare-footed

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's not just about having money! even with " loads of money " i would still take a stroll now and again from Naklua to Jomtien ( immigration ) it's rather pleasant in fact ( it wouldn't even enter my mind of catching a baht bus or risking my life on a motorbike ) a nice Kenny Lynch suntan and a bottle of water and you feel " bright and dandy " ...... x

C.S

true! i never feel more bright and dandy than on those weekends when i walk from Pattaya to Bangkok to savour a beer and take a look at the fair maidens in Soi Cowboy.

Was that you walking in the median of the motorway?

Yeah, but it did take all the fun out of it.

We have a Wave at work and I ride it around a little now and then.

I have had quite a few motorcycle accidents back when I was younger. This was on a 50cc two-stroke bike going no faster as 70-90km hour. I never had any serious injuries and always got back on the bike. Now when I ride I know there is a risk but I just prefer freedom and easy parking and no traffic jams to driving the car.

I know i risk more but its worth it to me, but that is something that is different for everyone.

I have had quite a few motorcycle accidents back when I was younger. This was on a 50cc two-stroke bike going no faster as 70-90km hour. I never had any serious injuries and always got back on the bike. Now when I ride I know there is a risk but I just prefer freedom and easy parking and no traffic jams to driving the car.

I know i risk more but its worth it to me, but that is something that is different for everyone.

Most guys only have one serious accident, I was lucky in that there was a paramedic parked across the street. Had they not been there, I'd likely have died at the scene. I dumped it plenty of times before I got it.

Kind of like not wearing a rubber, some guys think it worth the risk, some don't.

Most guys only have one serious accident, I was lucky in that there was a paramedic parked across the street. Had they not been there, I'd likely have died at the scene. I dumped it plenty of times before I got it.

Kind of like not wearing a rubber, some guys think it worth the risk, some don't.

I agree its up to the person to see if it worth the risk. As for your rubber risk.. with bar girls.. never ever.. with steady gf's sure.

I agree its up to the person to see if it worth the risk. As for your rubber risk.. with bar girls.. never ever.. with steady gf's sure.

Those are the ones with the baby carriages being pushed around by 75 year old geezers, right?

I have had to many friends crippled and killed on motorbikes in Thailand. Some of them extremely skilful drivers.

Its car for me all the time. Comfort, Safety plenty of free parking and I enjoy the challenges of driving on Thailand's horrendous roads.

Also Police pull you over fewer times.

If I was a drinker I would use public transport.

I have known roughly the same number of people killed/injured while in a car or on a motorbike. It's all about how you drive them.

For me, 30 years Pattaya and ride my motorcycle every day, sometimes even as far as Trat. Result, broke collar bone once when I hit a rock at the edge of the road where I was forced by an car.

Traffic fatality statistics are published on the order of deaths per billion km traveled. If you were to add your experience to the experience of about 1,000 other riders this year, you still wouldn't have enough data to draw any conclusions.

The people who have done that kind of analysis tell us that riding a 2 wheeler is 20-40 times as dangerous as driving a car. It's still minuscule on a per km basis, but the danger is real because no matter how good we are (or think we are) we share the roads with others...

I wasn't making trying to make statistics, i was just giving my experience as a careful motorcycle rider. Riding a motorcycle would not have to be 20-40 times more dangerous if 1) they were ridden more carefully and 2) >=4 wheel vehicles paid more attention to them.

I have had to many friends crippled and killed on motorbikes in Thailand. Some of them extremely skilful drivers.

Its car for me all the time. Comfort, Safety plenty of free parking and I enjoy the challenges of driving on Thailand's horrendous roads.

I have known roughly the same number of people killed/injured while in a car or on a motorbike. It's all about how you drive them.

When the police are pulling over/checking cars on Sukhumvit I wizz by on my motorcycle. Not been stopped by police for years. Had one who wandered over to me at a red light and asked if I had a license, said yes (true), light went green, he told me to proceed. Keep to the rules, wear a helmet, don't overload the bike and the police seem to leave you alone.

For me, 30 years Pattaya and ride my motorcycle every day, sometimes even as far as Trat. Result, broke collar bone once when I hit a rock at the edge of the road where I was forced by an car.

Everybody has stories to tell. There is no right answer. Up to the individual.

It's the complete opposite in Pattaya. They never check cars here , only motobikes. Inside my car I can only watch all the bikes they stop at every police check point , fining them for not wearing helmets or speeding etc.

I feel like I'm VIP or something in my car, they just never stop me LOL. And I drive a cheap Nissan.

Another reason to own a car , not a bike in Pattaya.

And if they wore helmets or didn't speed they wouldn't be stopped. Same goes for cars: if they don't speed or jump red lights they don't get stopped and i see plenty of cars stopped for that in Pattaya.

Traffic fatality statistics are published on the order of deaths per billion km traveled. If you were to add your experience to the experience of about 1,000 other riders this year, you still wouldn't have enough data to draw any conclusions.

The people who have done that kind of analysis tell us that riding a 2 wheeler is 20-40 times as dangerous as driving a car,,,

Riding a motorcycle would not have to be 20-40 times more dangerous if 1) they were ridden more carefully and 2) >=4 wheel vehicles paid more attention to them.

And if your aunt would'a had balls she'd a been your uncle,

So what is your point ??

although i am not addressed i agree with the majority of participants that owning a car in Pattaya makes no sense. that's the reason why i own three cars wink.png

So what is your point ??

although i am not addressed i agree with the majority of participants that owning a car in Pattaya makes no sense. that's the reason why i own three cars wink.png

A more appropriate thread might be:

"Having a wife in Pattaya, why?"

So what is your point ??

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

i hope the Mrs does not see my comment unsure.png

So what is your point ??

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Mine or yours?

Whilst for some people it may be true that you don't NEED a car surely if you can afford it then why not. It's obviously useful to have the car available for the times when it's convenient. I don't do a big mileage so from a purely financial perspective it's not sensible to own a car but hey if you have the money then go for it. No point struggling around town and then dying with a few million in the bank.

Henry- you have mentioned the unmentionable- well done.

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that statistically you are more likely to be killed or maimed on a bike than in car.

I bought the boyfriend a car for Christmas- a few people asked me why? Because driving down Sukamvit to work every day on his bike was dicing with death.

It has 8 air bags, scary seat belts , ABS , skid control etc etc

Could I afford it- probably yes- could I have spent the money on a few holidays, clothes, restaurants - yes it would have been fun.

So the idea of putting your nearest and dearest on a bike is just plain stupid.

I have no idea why people relocate to another country - away from Governmental backup and security without sufficient funds- to put your kids in danger. ( probably tattoos are cheaper here )

Answers on a postcard please ( bit of a Brit reference)

someone asked about a merc for under 1 million baht, well there is a great V8 Mercedes 500 SL for 495,000 baht try looking in thai visa cars ok. Oh and to the clown asking about my lady coming from Pattaya .. get a life you saddo, i will be in the thai visa lounge at 10 pm tonight just sayin !!

thumbsup.gif:thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Mine or yours?

mine of course.

someone asked about a merc for under 1 million baht, well there is a great V8 Mercedes 500 SL for 495,000 baht try looking in thai visa cars ok. Oh and to the clown asking about my lady coming from Pattaya .. get a life you saddo, i will be in the thai visa lounge at 10 pm tonight just sayin !!

"great" cheesy.gif

I forgot some people dont buy new. Something I grew out of in my teens once I learned how to make money

Like that new car smell for tens of thousands of dollars, do we?

My wife liked new cars. She got new cars.

Personally, I'd rather have the money still in the bank, and not feel like I've been reamed when it comes time to change vehicles.

I forgot some people dont buy new. Something I grew out of in my teens once I learned how to make money

Personally, I'd rather have the money still in the bank, and not feel like I've been reamed when it comes time to change vehicles.

You can't take it with you! I had a perfectly serviceable 10 year old D Max with just over a 100,000 klms on the clock, but treated myself to a brand new Mitsu Triton. Why? Because I could.

You can't take it with you! I had a perfectly serviceable 10 year old D Max with just over a 100,000 klms on the clock, but treated myself to a brand new Mitsu Triton. Why? Because I could.

+ Free Servicing + Free Warranty + Interest Free (At the moment) To me it works out at about 12,000 baht/month for totally hassle free motoring, trade in every three years, rinse and repeat.

+ Free Servicing + Free Warranty + Interest Free (At the moment) To me it works out at about 12,000 baht/month for totally hassle free motoring, trade in every three years, rinse and repeat.

Meanwhile, I can sell my pickup for about what I paid for it. I've changed the oil a few times and the battery once. I figure that I'm in for about 300-500 baht a month plus fuel plus insurance. (In fairness, it is due for a set of tires, which will virtually double my net cost of ownership this year)

And I only had to work Monday through about lunch on Thursday for the purchase price. The whole price, not the down payment. Thursday afternoon's wages went toward a year of oil changes, several tanks of diesel, and the battery. From Friday morning's wages, I bought my used scooter. I pissed away the money I made on Friday afternoon...

And I freely admit I'll never impress the chicks with that truck...

New cars are great, and I encourage anyone who isn't handy to go that way. But buying used doesn't mean we couldn't afford new. Just different priorities.

Impulse, why the vitriol, I didn't slag anyone off for buying second hand. For me working offshore it's the simplest option to ensure my partner has hassle free driving . In UK I would never contemplate renewing every three years, but here so far my re-sale values have been very good.

Edited by RabC

Impulse, why the vitriol, I didn't slag anyone off for buying second hand. For me working offshore it's the simplest option to ensure my partner has hassle free driving . In UK I would never contemplate renewing every three years, but here so far my re-sale values have been very good.

Apologies for getting you in the crossfire. Your post was pretty reasonable, and I don't disagree with your reasoning.

My ire was mostly aimed at post #146 who insinuates that only kids who aren't old enough to have decent jobs, and poor folks who don't make enough money- buy used vehicles.

My decision to buy a dirt cheap used pickup here in Thailand was based on the fact that I'm on temporary assignment and may have to sell it in a hurry should my situation change unexpectedly. In fact, I could walk away from it and just hand the keys to a friend here in Thailand, and not lose much. Fortunately, my temporary situation keeps getting extended, but I may have only owned the truck for a few months, possibly even shorter. Not a great time to buy new and be underwater when it's time to fire sale it and repatriate. Had I known I'd be here this long, I'd have still bought used, but I'd have bought much nicer...

Apologies for getting you in the crossfire. Your post was pretty reasonable, and I don't disagree with your reasoning.

My ire was mostly aimed at post #146 who insinuates that only kids who aren't old enough to have decent jobs, and poor folks who don't make enough money- buy used vehicles.

My decision to buy a dirt cheap used pickup here in Thailand was based on the fact that I'm on temporary assignment and may have to sell it in a hurry should my situation change unexpectedly. In fact, I could walk away from it and just hand the keys to a friend here in Thailand, and not lose much. Fortunately, my temporary situation keeps getting extended, but I may have only owned the truck for a few months, possibly even shorter. Not a great time to buy new and be underwater when it's time to fire sale it and repatriate. Had I known I'd be here this long, I'd have still bought used, but I'd have bought much nicer...

Thank-you for having the decency to apologise.

C.S

Was that you walking in the median of the motorway?

on the way back i crawl to avoid too much suntan on my belly wink.png