Thai Tourism Ministry assures diplomats travel here is safe for their citizens

webfact

Tourism Ministry assures diplomats travel here is safe for their citizens
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

30261074-01_big.jpg
Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul

BANGKOK: -- THE TOURISM and Sports Ministry is taking steps to reassure international tourists about safety in the country ahead of the high season.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul on Tuesday invited 30 ambassadors to a banquet to discuss the tourism situation under the military government and the outlook for the remaining months of this year.

She asked the diplomats for feedback and suggestions regarding the needs of their citizens while travelling in Thailand.

Some envoys have already met with the minister and made some inquiries and gave some ideas for tourism.

"This is the first time that I am officially meeting with foreigners. But the point is to assure you that Thailand is ready to welcome all tourists and Thailand is a safe place," she told her guests.

Some big concerns that have been raised by foreigners are visas and immigration schemes, taxi problems and tourist scams.

The government is working on a multiple-entry visa that will likely be valid for six to 12 months. It is expected to go into effect in December.

The ministry is working with the Transport Ministry to crack down on rogue taxis, not only in Bangkok but also in major provinces like Phuket and Chiang Mai. Many tourists have complained about cheating, mostly by overcharging and refusing passengers.

The ministry and police are tackling the tourist-scamming problem. More tourist police and volunteers have already been added in the capital and upcountry.

The ministry plans to open tourist courts nationwide. There are six units now and there should be 15 by year-end.

A tourist fund has been established for vacationers who need financial assistance while travelling in the country.

The ministry is planning to launch a campaign for the first time called "Muslim Friendly Destination", which will target Muslim nations.

The ministry yesterday reported 1.7 million international arrivals from May 1-25, up 28 per cent from same time last year. China remained the biggest source in the first four months with growth of 110 per cent from the same period last year.

Since January, Thailand has welcomed 19 million tourists from around the world, 16 per cent up from same period last year. Revenue from foreign tourists has increased 19 per cent to Bt944 billion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Tourism-Ministry-assures-diplomats-travel-here-is--30261074.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-28

Since January, Thailand has welcomed 19 million tourists from around the world, 16 per cent up from same period last year. Revenue from foreign tourists has increased 19 per cent to Bt944 billion.

Well i was worried about all the news about no tourist in Thailand anymore. like pattaya, hua hin and phuket where they complain about to many hotels room and no tourists, krabi has problem because European people don't come on holiday anymore, and the complain from Scandinavian tour companies.

So im happy that there is no problem and all false information about have bad it is clap2.gif

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul on Tuesday invited 30 ambassadors to a banquet to discuss the tourism situation under the military government and the outlook for the remaining months of this year.

"This is the first time that I am officially meeting with foreigners. But the point is to assure you that Thailand is ready to welcome all tourists and Thailand is a safe place," she told her guests.

This is the first time the tourism minister has officially met with foreigners????

How long has she been the minister? With her constituency complaining about the lack of numbers, surely she would have had official meeting with the target market.

TAT announced after the meeting that "all the ambassadors, from over 3,000 countries, supported everything that Thailand was doing and were pleased to have "happiness"".

That's an increase in ambassadors of 100%, in the first 3 minutes since the meeting.

Did they read the Article of the Kuwait dude that was killed bunge jumping... and then read on the driver that took him to the hospital, lied about the incident and then sped off...

Diplomats should be made aware of the real going ons... not the hype BS spun by the ignorants in power

"...is ready to welcome all tourists and Thailand is a safe place..."

Uh-huh, aside from the usual ladyboy gang of thieves, the ubiquitous motorcycle boy gangs, the numerous tourist scams and the #1 safety issue in Thailand...some of the highest death rates on roads anywhere in the world.

Let's show them the video of the bus that rammed several cars yesterday at a very high rate of speed. Irregardless of that bus's brakes failing, that bus was traveling like a rocket.

More < deleted> from Thai Officials who either have no clue what is going on in their own country, or as I suspect, know exactly what is going on, but refuse to admit it.

There's a lot of tourists coming here, and a lot dying every day.

From the stats released by the UK Home Office, there's more than 1 Brit dying here every single day (granted a fair amount are older "retirees"), but it's still a big number.

I'd be interested to see someone do a comparison of every nationality that comes here, visitor numbers vs deaths in country, I suspect it would be a real eye-opener.

Hot air, lies, smoke and mirrors, dog and pony...don't pay attention to the rape, the bus accidents, the jet ski scams, the taxi mafia...it's all fine and dandy, here in LalaLand!

I think the Thai government wants package tourists from China and now the Middle East. Realistically the Thai gov doesn't seem to genuinely care about western "non-quality" tourists.

The Russians and Chinese still go out in the fetid water in Pattaya/Jomtien regardless of how nasty it is.

Most of the initiatives from the Tourism minister are directed at the Chinese (remember wristbands or passing out life vests.)

I noticed a new Indian agogo on Walking street a few nights ago. The times are changing.

"the point is to assure you that Thailand is ready to welcome all tourists and Thailand is a safe place,"

Her "assurance" would have been a little more credible with the suffix:

"As proof of my confidence I will compensate every victim of “break failures”, derailed trains, speed boat crashes, falls of balconies, and robberies with money in my personal bank account."

I want more than anything to see Thailand prosper and succeed, so I think that these statements aimed at encouraging tourists are a good thing. Many tourists have been seriously discouraged by years of bloody street-battles and scams and so on.

However, I would feel even safer if a lot of regulations were put in place, to back up the welcoming statements. Just off the top of my head, I don't feel safe buying fruit and veg here, because I read a mainstream Thai report on how a lot of this produce had been randomly tested and found to have 200 times the safe levels of pesticides, including chemicals that are banned around the world. And these glow-in-the-dark products include produce branded as organic or quality or w/e. That makes me feel unsafe, for sure. This is just one example of where the government needs to enact and enforce strict regulations, not just to make people feel safe, but to make people actually safe.

Edited by Yunla

I think every single story involving a foreigner death or serious injury should be emailed to her directly.

Foreigner Death or Serious Injury

Date: XXX

Name and Nationality: XXX

Place: XXX

Cause of Death or Injury: XXXX

Death/Injury resulting from a Thai National: Yes or No

Death/Injury resulting from a Foreign National: Yes or NO

This is the first time the tourism minister has officially met with foreigners????

How long has she been the minister? With her constituency complaining about the lack of numbers, surely she would have had official meeting with the target market.

She has no public constituency. She was Junta-appointed. Her constituency is the Chief of the NCPO and PM - General Prayut.

Safe? Not on any level unless you stay in an upmarket resort and never venture out. It's not safe for tourists, its not safe for children, it's not safe for women n, it's mot safe for business and it is certainly not safe for investors.

There are things resembling laws that are twisted against foreigners, that is if you have five years or a few more to go through the system. There are lawyers who are expert at cheating foreigners, there are gangs expert at robbing and cheating foreigners, there are taxis especially in Phuket who cheat and beat foreigners, there are rapists who serve no time, there are People hired to beat up foreigners when targeted for a scam,

The government is an impressionist painting, a complete fabrication of reality and intended to be. The police force actively work to commit crime and avoid solving any of foreigners are involved. As Prayuth said the Rohinghas have been being trafficked for 0 years and why is the news coming out now? Yes all the above has been happening for 10 years and is getting worse yet the best effort directed to solve it is a load of hollow words.

Two faced Thailand

And yet,

- “The Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) has indicated that the confidence index of tourism operators is still at a normal level but admitted that this year’s tourism revenue could be lower than targeted due to economic slowdown.”

- TCT President “Mr Ittirit projected that the tourist number will amount to nearly 28 million, a jump of 12.83 percent. Nonetheless, the revenue generated will likely be around 1.28 trillion baht, falling short of the target of 2.2 trillion baht.”

And while Ms Kobkarn Puts a lot of hope in attracting increasing tourism from the Chinese, it may not be in her control. Just as TAT and the Thai goverbnment have focused on increasing domestic Thai tourism, the Chinese government may do the same for itself:

“Hotel prices in China began to cool last year and Zerin Properties expects relatively flat price growth of 0.1 per cent this year, driven by lower levels of demand coupled with extraordinary growth in supply.”

It might be far cheaper and less stressful for the Chinese to stay in their own country than to come to Thailand for vacations.

I think every single story involving a foreigner death or serious injury should be emailed to her directly.

Foreigner Death or Serious Injury

Date: XXX

Name and Nationality: XXX

Place: XXX

Cause of Death or Injury: XXXX

Death/Injury resulting from a Thai National: Yes or No

Death/Injury resulting from a Foreign National: Yes or NO

All farang deaths are a suicide so she would just be wasting time with your recommendation. Thailand is probably the world leader in suicides, after all that's why one would travel thousands of miles to hang yourself from a door handle.

BANGKOK: -- THE TOURISM and Sports Ministry is taking steps to reassure international tourists about safety in the country ahead of the high season.

There would have been 31 ambassadors present as opposed to 30 but unfortunately one couldn't make it as he was mowed down outside the building on a pedestrian crossing with the lights in his favour by a cement truck whose " brakes failed".

she wouldn.t have to have this meeting if she would have paid attention to thaivisa posters. Now only diplomatic hogwash.

Did they read the Article of the Kuwait dude that was killed bunge jumping... and then read on the driver that took him to the hospital, lied about the incident and then sped off...

Diplomats should be made aware of the real going ons... not the hype BS spun by the ignorants in power

I am sure diplomats from different countries read TV.

Only madame doesn't. She does not like to move around or listen to plebs.

I am curious how that 19% increase in revenue is calculated. Hearing that shop owners complain of very little business (i.e. Phuket and even Bangkok), curious that 16% more tourists spent 19% more than last year, considering that a lot of those tourists are of the new target group (Chinese), not really known for spending a lot in shops locally...