Offshore Newbie Question...

rjcampbe

I live in BKK working for a global technology company. My nephew, 20, is asking me about O/G opportunities in Asia.

He currently lives in Lafayette Louisiana, and has some experience working in oil fields. Limited, about 6 months. He also knows his way around diesel motors pretty well, but he isn't certified.

He's a young strong Cajun boy looking for a start but, like most of us at that age, he's trying to figure it all out. He's not afraid of hard work or starting at the bottom, he is just looking for a good place to start.

I have met a few people in this industry in BKK but I know nothing about how it works. Are there any possible options for a guy like him in Asia?

I live in BKK working for a global technology company. My nephew, 20, is asking me about O/G opportunities in Asia.

He currently lives in Lafayette Louisiana, and has some experience working in oil fields. Limited, about 6 months. He also knows his way around diesel motors pretty well, but he isn't certified.

He's a young strong Cajun boy looking for a start but, like most of us at that age, he's trying to figure it all out. He's not afraid of hard work or starting at the bottom, he is just looking for a good place to start.

I have met a few people in this industry in BKK but I know nothing about how it works. Are there any possible options for a guy like him in Asia?

Simple answer not a hope in hell in Asia,

his starting point in the business is the gulf of Mexico

tell him to go to school get as degree, the willingness to work hard doesn't really factor in scheme of things

• 3 weeks later...

The thing is, no company is going to sponsor his work Visa to come over and work as a labourer when they can simply hire a local - and pay them a heck-of-a-lot less - to do the same thing, regardless of how well he knows his way around an engine.

To get that break overseas you need foreman experience or a trade ticket (even expat drillers are becoming rarer - need OIM experience). Electricians, electronics, mechanics with experience can still find work (after this downturn), but someone starting out needs to cut their teeth at home or get a piece of paper (degree/tradesmen) if they hope to work overseas offshore.

• 3 weeks later...

this may not be the worst time to be looking for oil field employment but it is pushing bottom. rig counts on land, even some of those with those with want they thought were locked in multi year contracts are setting waiting on orders (this can be worse than the military making a year plan.

you want oil field experience go out and look for workover rigs (land bases) and maybe a mexican deserted to go home for a wedding party. the producing wells will be kept flowing if income justifies. its not clean, easy, nor pleasant but it introduces you to the real oil patch from almost rousabout level upward, depending on you and future oppurnity.

i s\would not encourge youngsters as this is the way to make a living for family and life in today intovations.

more consistent income. bar, resturant owner /pimp about mile from oil loading dispatch docks.

3 source of income a few tourist fishing crews stop in as do locals if treated fairly, the later being the secert to sucess.

• 1 month later...

Google "offshore helicopter crashes", then google "piper alpha", then google "ocean ranger". Work on a land rig, int'l.

Incidentally a Bristows Sikorsky went down a couple of days ago on return from offshore Nigeria.

There were 2 deaths,2 still missing and 10 injured.

It still doesn't put me off.

Working on a land rig one still encounters the same potential incidents,blow outs,H2s,high pressures etc etc it's essentially no safer,except for the travel to and from the work site which in developing countries is often no safer.

I've known people to be involved in road traffic accidents in places like Libya,Egypt and international service companies such as Schlumberger won't allow their personnel to drive at all due these factors.

Then there is the potential terror threat when working on land rigs as most of them are in hostile place such as the Middle East unless of course your in the US.

Rober507. I must have struck a nerve.

The risks are the same. Ive done both.

Offshore disadvantages:

- if theres a blowout you cant walk away

- if theres a storm you cant walk away

- if your fogged in you are stuck

- if you want to quit and leave, you have to schedule it, you cant walk away

Just some obvious differences.

Next time a land rig self destructs with all souls lost let me know.

And the H2S training offshore is atrocious.

Im a big fan of being in control and being able to walk away if the situatiin requires it.

Just my humble opinion.

Try not to take it personally

The last land rig which killed people was in the US in March killing 4 i think it was

I have spent 25 years working the oil patch all over the world and i feel safest being offshore

The most amusing comment i hear frequently in Thailand is all knowing farang telling me how dangerous offshore is just before they get on their 2nd hand Honda wave pissed as rats and driving off down a Thai road with no helmet, in shorts and flip flops :rolleyes:

H2S training so bad ? :blink:

Studmeyer,

I've also worked on land rigs and offshore. I saw a lot more accidents / incidents on land rigs that didn't make it to the news compared to offshore where a broken arm might make it to the front page. I also found that HSE was a lot more strict offshore and lacking on most land locations.

During on my time on land rigs, I worked in one of the highest % of H2S areas in the world, saw 3 blowouts, saw a rig burnt to the ground, worked in locations so remote that you can't 'walk away' , worked in deserts and jungles where you could be attacked or shot at, saw numerous personnel medivacked, 1 death, countless oilfield f%^&ups etc.

During my time offshore I saw 2 personnel being medivacked - 1 for a skin rash and 1 for a bad dose of the flu.

Studmeyer,

.... I saw a lot more accidents / incidents on land rigs that didn't make it to the news compared to offshore where a broken arm might make it to the front page. I also found that HSE was a lot more strict offshore and lacking on most land locations.

During on my time on land rigs, I worked in one of the highest % of H2S areas in the world, saw 3 blowouts, saw a rig burnt to the ground, worked in locations so remote that you can't 'walk away' , worked in deserts and jungles where you could be attacked or shot at, saw numerous personnel medivacked, 1 death, countless oilfield f%^&ups etc.

During my time offshore I saw 2 personnel being medivacked - 1 for a skin rash and 1 for a bad dose of the flu.

Sounds like we've lived a very similar experience and have the exact same opinion with the exception of which work we prefer. Luckily I haven't had a blow out or burned down any rigs yet, I guess you win on both of those measures wink.png

Point being I like the idea of being able to walk away - Thats it thats all. I never said anything about land rigs being safer, or scooters, or driving in Libya although I have interesting first hand stories to tell you about on all that stuff for another time.

My original comment was meant for the 20 yr old kid via the OP. Work on land rigs, then go International - Same money, same rota, + freedom. More exposure to more stuff, more faster, more better. Not as many joysticks, no unions, no scaffolders, no waiting in line for a telephone call...

Offshore guys are pretty funny when they come to a land rig, likewise and vice versa. Only difference I can see is that offshore guys seem to get upset and defensive pretty quick. Must be the soft hands from wearing gloves all the time. smile.png

Rgs,

SM

post-156443-0-37389400-1439568421_thumb.

Archived