Nice Quiet Beach Resort In Southwest

Caitrin

I'm planning a trip down to the Southwest of Thailand during August, and I'm trying to find a beach resort that has fairly nice amenities (I am not a backpacker, at the least, I may be considered a glampacker, but given that I'm in my 30s, I think I just generally don't do the backpacker thing), that's both set off from hustle and bustle spots, but not too far if I need to go shopping or what not. Most of all, I am really looking for rather crystal clear water, white sands, and a great deal of personal space and quiet.

I'm not familiar with the Southwest at all, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. Alternately, if you know of something which fits the bill and is in a completely different part of the country, please let me know.

At this juncture, it's hard to really be more specific, because where I go will be determined by what matches my description. I'll almost certainly be flying in from Bangkok, although I might rent a vehicle at/near the airport if the eventual location is something of a trek.

As I said, I really don't know anything about the southwest.

There are lots of places that match that description. And not just in the southwest. Some islands off the coast of Cambodia are great. Many very nice beaches south of Hua Hin all the way down. From Ranong down to Phuket has mile after mile of beautiful beaches. Even Phuket has some nice isolated beaches. Krabi, the dozen or so islands from there all the way down to Langkawi. Some nice spots on the various islands of Samui, Tao, KPN. Wow...so many!!!

Here's a good site for reference:

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.sg/

Be aware of the monsoons in the west. You can have day after day of rain. Not normally a full day of rain, but it can mess up a planned holiday just sitting on the beach. The east coast doesn't seem to be hit quite as hard.

Looks like Satun's Koh Lipe is kinda what I'm going for? Maybe the Varin Resort, but I worry because I looked up the climate situation and it appears that in August the area gets 17 days with rain. So that might not be a good idea.

September is even worse, but August can have quite a few rainy days. We were in Phuket several years ago for the entire month of August. We had a few nice days, but most were on and off rain. No fun for a beach vacation. Plus, the sea was really rough.

I looked up Krabi as I thought it would have better info, and not too far away:

http://www.weather2travel.com/august/thailand/krabi.php

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/thailand/krabi.php

With that being said, we've had the same issues on the East coast also. A few years ago went to Koh Chang for a 4 day beach holiday in August. Rained every day...miserable.

Rainfall will be an issue on Lipe in August.

Rainy Season: May - October

During the rainy season, the monsoonal winds bring with them long periods of rain and rough seas. It is the volatile nature of the sea during this time that makes the rainy season the low season for tourism on Ko Lipe.

Travel to and from the island, as well as inter-island travel, can be unpleasant due to the choppy seas. In fact, during low season, the only port that is open for boat travel to the island is Pak Bara on the mainland.

Also, Tarutao National Marine Park, which encompasses Lipe and the archipelago is closed at that time of year so no diving or trip to Koh Mook...

Yeah, okay, so that's going to be a problem.

Okay, I know I titled this Southwest, but let's just toss that right out, and let me ask a more generalised question:

Taking into account the weather situation, and my previous description, or should I just give up on the idea of any beach and chill in Chiang Mai instead?

Yeah, okay, so that's going to be a problem.

Okay, I know I titled this Southwest, but let's just toss that right out, and let me ask a more generalised question:

Taking into account the weather situation, and my previous description, or should I just give up on the idea of any beach and chill in Chiang Mai instead?

Chiang Mai will be getting quite a bit of rain also, as you well know. Depends on what you like. If you don't mind a bit of rain, sitting on a porch and looking out to see during some rain storms is not a bad way to go! It will stop eventually. And you might luck out and have 3-5 days of great weather!

Indeed, I do. But to me Chiang Mai is all about the forest/jungle kind of atmosphere, and as such, I actively enjoy rain in that setting. Especially if I have access to some tea, snacks, a good book, or some study materials. That would be part of the charm, especially if I could find my own forest bungalow, tree house kind of thing. Of course, I really like Chiang Mai's old city, and I'd want to be close enough to stroll around regularly without constant wrangling of transport (so maybe I should just rent a car)...

You know, I started off thinking of this as a beach holiday, but now I'm starting to think otherwise...

For a quiet getaway place try Bang Burd. Beautiful unspoilt beach, friendly locals, a few bars and restaurants, not far from the town. Located between Hua Hin and Chumphon (nearer to Chumphon) I believe there are now flights from BKK to Chumphon.

Hope this fits the bill.

For a quiet getaway place try Bang Burd. Beautiful unspoilt beach, friendly locals, a few bars and restaurants, not far from the town. Located between Hua Hin and Chumphon (nearer to Chumphon) I believe there are now flights from BKK to Chumphon.

Hope this fits the bill.

Bang Burd is a beautiful beach area but not much there for accomodation. Better option may be to stay in Bang Saphan and day trip but depends on the individuals requirements.

Nok Air fly Don Mueang to Chumphon twice a day and easy one hour flight it is. Sit on the right side when heading south for coastal views. There are no taxis sitting there waiting to collect arriving passengers so have your resort of choice arrange pick up.

Hope this fits the bill.

Bang Burd is a beautiful beach area but not much there for accomodation. Better option may be to stay in Bang Saphan and day trip but depends on the individuals requirements.

Nok Air fly Don Mueang to Chumphon twice a day and easy one hour flight it is. Sit on the right side when heading south for coastal views. There are no taxis sitting there waiting to collect arriving passengers so have your resort of choice arrange pick up.

We took almost 1/2 day to drive from Ban Krut to just past Bang Saphan Noi. Haven't done this in years, but after 4 days in Ban Krut, we were a bit disappointed with the water quality in Bang Saphan. Especially the northern part.

I don't think we checked out Bang Burd, but will next time!

Pattaya would suit your requirements perfectly !

She doesn't sound like a Pattaya kind of girl to me !

I'm not the party type. I wasn't in my teens, and I wasn't in my twenties. You would never, ever have found me at one of the full moon places. I drink very rarely, and I don't do drugs. Places like Pattaya seem a bit too party-ish for me. A lot of the "gap year fun times" kind of stuff I see about Thailand really isn's the Thailand I want to experience. I'm quite happy sitting on a beach or a porch during the rain, with my book out, and a cup of tea. I am a beer snob though, and I have to say I really enjoy most of the Thai beers.