I'm White enough, Thank You. Is there aThai sunscreen that does not Include Whitening Chemicals ?

50baht

Is there a Made in Thailand Sunscreen that does not include Whitening Chemicals @ a reasonable price $$ ?

The cost of Western Sunscreen seems really high, But then again I only think of it when I hit the beach 7-11 for it. blink.png

Tthe Asian Sunscreen or SPF lotions seems to say "Whitening" ?

ALSO can you TRUST a THAI SUNSCREEN ? I don't want to end up like this Burn't Tart. >>> http://www.canadiantraveller.com/Thailand_Fail_Did_I_Just_Buy_Knock_Off_sunscreen

Thanks

Johnny Winter

Bit harsh calling her a tart, what's wrong with you?

Haven't seen any made in Thailand sun lotions that I would use, with or without whitening agents.

Banana Boat SPF50 minimum for me.

My guess on the unfortunate young lady is she doesn't have the skin type to sit directly in the sun for several hours reading a book. Although she is placing the blame squarely on what she thinks is a knock off product - the responsibility lands on her. She should have bought a better quality known brand, AND not spent as long in the sun.

I think we're being unfair to the young lady in question here. FIrstly by calling her names, and secondly by doubting her story - fake sunscreen is a genuine issue in the region.

I guess you don't get much sun on a barstool.

No sunscreen is going to permit some with her complexion to sit in the midday sun in Thailand for two hours. To think she can build a "base tan" is just wishful thinking.

She should look around and see what Thai people do in similar situations while on holiday They sit in the shade to read their books! Better yet, go back to your hotel room and take a nap or get a massage. That Dan Brown novel is trash anyway. Not worth the skin cancer you may get 30 years from now.

I know because I had a single incident of this type when I was six years old and on a school outing. I knew I was being subject to too much sun, but the the teacher insisted the class sit together on the river cruise boat. Unfortunately, my (dark-skinned) mother had dressed me in a new skimpy sundress on the day of the cruise so I had little protection to the blasting rays of the sun. No hat. No umbrella. Certainly no knock-off sunscreen. Just five miserable hours cruising the broken-down shoreline, looking at the abandoned industrial buildings and still functioning, polluting steel mills along the Cuyahoga River of the mid-1960s Cleveland, Ohio. Yes, this was what passed for a first-grade spring outing. It was supposed to be a festive occasion. Instead I ended up with a sunburn much, much worse than that of the "Burnt Tart"

When my fair-skinned father came home, he found me sobbing face down on my bed, having vomited. My mother would have said I was being overly dramatic, just like the young lady in that blog. My father took one look at my back (I sat with on the boat with my back to the sun when it became evident the teacher wasn't going to let me move to the shady side of the boat) and asked what was I wearing. He pulled the new sundress out of the laundry hamper, and seeing how it was much skimpier than any garment I'd had before, promptly threw it in the trash with sharp words to my mother in front of me. This was surprising, because they were big believers in presenting a united front and settling their differences in private. He called the pediatrician's answering service and badgered them until he got a return call from the doctor. Based on this call he went out and bought a new-fangled spray called "Solarcaine" despite my mother's protest that it was expensive. It's Lidocaine in a spray can and it was heaven! The next day he told me to stay home (I was still vomiting), went into school and read the riot act to the school principal.

In retrospect, in today's world, there would have been a lawsuit over this. Especially since, I've had to have several pre-cancerous lesions taken off my back in recent years and will probably have to have more done in the future.

Since this event, I've been very sun-aware. Good everyday sunscreens weren't introduced until I was in my early 20s. That's when I started to use one everyday without fail on my entire body. It was expensive at first because the early formulations that were light enough for daily wear (i.e. facial use) were expensive, like Oil of Olay in the U.S. Once I moved to Thailand, I discovered the body lotions with "whitening" properties really just have sunscreens and maybe some talc and a few other harmless stuff. They work really very well as daily body lotion sunscreens. Maybe not for sitting two hours on the beach in midday, but OK for running around town as a body lotion.

Edited by NancyL

No sunscreen is going to permit some with her complexion to sit in the midday sun in Thailand for two hours. To think she can build a "base tan" is just wishful thinking.

She should look around and see what Thai people do in similar situations while on holiday They sit in the shade to read their books! Better yet, go back to your hotel room and take a nap or get a massage. That Dan Brown novel is trash anyway. Not worth the skin cancer you may get 30 years from now.

I know because I had a single incident of this type when I was six years old and on a school outing. I knew I was being subject to too much sun, but the the teacher insisted the class sit together on the river cruise boat. Unfortunately, my (dark-skinned) mother had dressed me in a new skimpy sundress on the day of the cruise so I had little protection to the blasting rays of the sun. No hat. No umbrella. Certainly no knock-off sunscreen. Just five miserable hours cruising the broken-down shoreline, looking at the abandoned industrial buildings and still functioning, polluting steel mills along the Cuyahoga River of the mid-1960s Cleveland, Ohio. Yes, this was what passed for a first-grade spring outing. It was supposed to be a festive occasion. Instead I ended up with a sunburn much, much worse than that of the "Burnt Tart"

When my fair-skinned father came home, he found me sobbing face down on my bed, having vomited. My mother would have said I was being overly dramatic, just like the young lady in that blog. My father took one look at my back (I sat with on the boat with my back to the sun when it became evident the teacher wasn't going to let me move to the shady side of the boat) and asked what was I wearing. He pulled the new sundress out of the laundry hamper, and seeing how it was much skimpier than any garment I'd had before, promptly threw it in the trash with sharp words to my mother in front of me. This was surprising, because they were big believers in presenting a united front and settling their differences in private. He called the pediatrician's answering service and badgered them until he got a return call from the doctor. Based on this call he went out and bought a new-fangled spray called "Solarcaine" despite my mother's protest that it was expensive. It's Lidocaine in a spray can and it was heaven! The next day he told me to stay home (I was still vomiting), went into school and read the riot act to the school principal.

In retrospect, in today's world, there would have been a lawsuit over this. Especially since, I've had to have several pre-cancerous lesions taken off my back in recent years and will probably have to have more done in the future.

Since this event, I've been very sun-aware. Good everyday sunscreens weren't introduced until I was in my early 20s. That's when I started to use one everyday without fail on my entire body. It was expensive at first because the early formulations that were light enough for daily wear (i.e. facial use) were expensive, like Oil of Olay in the U.S. Once I moved to Thailand, I discovered the body lotions with "whitening" properties really just have sunscreens and maybe some talc and a few other harmless stuff. They work really very well as daily body lotion sunscreens. Maybe not for sitting two hours on the beach in midday, but OK for running around town as a body lotion.

That means the numbers on the sunscreen are lies, there are 50 and more available.

2 hours with sunprotection of say 60 would be as much as 2 min without protection. Which isn't a problem for anyone. So the numbers are simply fake?

Best ( if u must) sunbathe on cloudy days and to be honest sun screen really only works if its so thick you cant actually see your skin.

That's really not true. Decent sun screen works when completely rubbed in.

Boots have some good deals on lately, both on their own brand and the Banana Boat stuff, which is good if you want decent protection.

Best ( if u must) sunbathe on cloudy days and to be honest sun screen really only works if its so thick you cant actually see your skin.

Boots have some good deals on lately, both on their own brand and the Banana Boat stuff, which is good if you want decent protection.

Yeah u got me there I confess, but many need to start thick before being absorbed and at this non absorbed time look white, zinc oxide I believe, suppose my point was many simply dont spread it on thick enough or even enough.

Cloudy days are better though

Edited by kannot

When I go with the bike, I sweat a lot and "wash off" the suncream with my sweat.....Still helps.....

Getting used to full sun for hours in Thailand needs ages for me whitey if I can do it at all....

Yes, the whitening products are basically just sunscreen with a little talc and maybe some product to give a shimmery look thrown in. And yes, a SPF number of 60 does not mean that the product is twice as good as one with a SPF number of 30. This from WebMD.com:

But is a 100+ or a 90+ sunscreen really that much better than one with an SPF of 30?

SPF refers to the ability of a sunscreen to block ultraviolet B (UVB) rays, which cause sunburns, but not UVA rays, which are more closely linked to deeper skin damage. Both UVA and UVB contribute to the risk of skin cancer.

The SPF rating is a measure of the time it would take you to sunburn if you were not wearing sunscreen as opposed to the time it would take with sunscreen on.

"SPF is not a consumer-friendly number," says Florida dermatologist James M. Spencer, MD. "It is logical for someone to think that an SPF of 30 is twice as good as an SPF of 15 and so on. But that is not how it works."

According to Spencer, an SPF 15 product blocks about 94% of UVB rays; an SPF 30 product blocks 97% of UVB rays; and an SPF 45 product blocks about 98% of rays.

"After that, it just gets silly," he says.

I use Citra body lotion -- "Pearly White UV Extra" that I buy at Tops Supermarket when it's on sale. Cheap as chips. Slatter on liberally after every shower, without fail, even at night. Just make it a habit. One "secret" to effective use of sunscreen is to apply it well in advance of going into the sun. The other is to stay out of the sun. If Hubby drags me to a beach, I'm under the umbrellas with the Thai people. They've got the right idea. And my swim suit is one of those Thai old lady styles with a full back and sleeves for sun protection. No sense getting more sun on my already damaged back.

Edited by NancyL

Ecologically speaking, white folks do not belong in the tropics. Under normal conditions of genetic selection, pale genes would be gone in a few generations. One well known exception was the albino men of the Navaho, and nearby tribes, who could not work in the fields as the other men did. So these men stayed home and copulated more frequently thus perpetuating their genes.

And i can tell you that the radiation is also terrible for my eyes, and all with pale blue eyes. So, sunglasses of good quality for me. Big hat, long sleeves, long trousers, sunscreen...Once you get those burn blisters on your arms, or back as Nancy described, protection is paramount. I used Noxema, a cooling cream, for my skin when a boy. At that time ignorance prevailed and no chemical protection available.

The SPF rating is a measure of the time it would take you to sunburn if you were not wearing sunscreen as opposed to the time it would take with sunscreen on.

Your statement is not quite correct.

The Sun-protection factor system measures the length of time a sunscreen will protect your skin from reddening / burning from UVB rays, compared to how long your skin would take to redden/ burn without sunscreen protection.

To be correct, it should read:-

"The SPF rating is a measure of the time it would take you to burn if you were wearing sunscreen as opposed to the time it would take without sunscreen on."

I am not being over pedantic, it is just that the logic of the argument is reversed...

Edit. No offence intended. This does show that I did take the trouble to read your post in its entirety.

Edited by rawhod

Ecologically speaking, white folks do not belong in the tropics. Under normal conditions of genetic selection, pale genes would be gone in a few generations. One well known exception was the albino men of the Navaho, and nearby tribes, who could not work in the fields as the other men did. So these men stayed home and copulated more frequently thus perpetuating their genes.

And i can tell you that the radiation is also terrible for my eyes, and all with pale blue eyes. So, sunglasses of good quality for me. Big hat, long sleeves, long trousers, sunscreen...Once you get those burn blisters on your arms, or back as Nancy described, protection is paramount. I used Noxema, a cooling cream, for my skin when a boy. At that time ignorance prevailed and no chemical protection available.

Ecologically speaking it is not true if the population like white color the white colored get more children and can dominate even they are at a disadvantage.

Often seen at animals where the males have ridiculous things for show only that is an actual disadvantage but it impresses the females to outweigh the disadvantage .

If you are a ugly looking, stupid lazy women but white skin you can get the best man in Thailand......

The lady also stated in the article she was sunbathing at midday,the worst time for sunburn,between about ten and two pm,it is better to stay out of the sun,especially for some one of her complexion,this way you can gradually build a tan,that will help you avoid getting burnt later,if you should be caught in the midday sun.