The best of the absurb "unofficial fees"

prk888

Here's my offering ........

Prior to marriage I went with Thai & other friends to Sattahip to check what paperwork was required. Indeed I actually went twice within one month just to be sure !

On the happy day 14 of us duly appeared, handed over all paperwork and was told " you need to get your passport translated into Thai"

BEAT THAT !!

The boss was told in no uncertain terms where to go and we all went to North Pattaya where marriage was successfully completed within 40 minutes

I don't know how it was possible to get married in 40 minutes, maybe just the visit to the Amphur office might take that long. I went through the preliminaries yesterday, and this was what was involved. First up, a visit to the Aussie embassy to fill out a stat dec and provide divorce papers from previous marriage, cost around 1300 baht. Next was a visit to a translator for the same paperwork, who would then take it to the Thai Consul for approval, cost 6600 baht. After the paperwork has been stamped and approved and sent to me by courier, we then will have to go to the local Amphur office to actually marry, cost unknown. I do know when I lodged my will at the Amphur office they wanted my passport translated, which is probably a rip off I know, but sometimes they won't proceed unless you comply. So far I have probably spent 10,000 baht in "fees", including bus to and from BKK, skytrain, taxis etc, and still not actually married yet.

Edited by giddyup

well our cost was B40 and took 40 minutes as I said.

BTW - what has your reply got to do with the thread topic?

Edited by Rimmer
baiting

So, you didn't have to go to the embassy and get your stat dec translated and approved? I did mention that

the Amphur office asked for a translation of my passport when I did my will.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame removed

I fail to see any 'absurd Unofficial Fees' in the OP.

coffee1.gif

I doubt very much that you can get married at an Amphur office for 40 baht either. It cost me more than 200 baht just to lodge a will.

Edited by giddyup

I fail to see any 'absurd Unofficial Fees' in the OP.

coffee1.gif

I doubt very much that you can get married at an Amphur office for 40 baht either. It cost me more than 200 baht just to lodge a will.

40 baht at Bang Rak amphur BKK. Will never be allowed to forget it, the wife paid !!! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Mr Happy Grumpy (and Khun BENQ)

How do you translate a passport?

A passport is a passport. It cannot and must not be changed arbitrarily.

How do you translate (eg) Mr Happy Grumpy into Thai? Or Jonathan? or George? or Fred?

Why would you be asked to do that?

Where else in the world would you be asked to do that?

And why?

Unofficial fees maybe?

Open to any and all serious answers of course

So, you didn't have to go to the embassy and get your stat dec translated and approved? I did mention that

No, no other papers required and Embassy affirmation etc had no input

No, no other papers required and Embassy affirmation etc had no input

What steps do I need to follow to marry legally in Thailand?

It is a Thai Government requirement that steps 1- 3 must be completed in Bangkok

Step 1: Statutory declaration and Death/Divorce Certificates

All Australians marrying in Thailand must complete a pro-forma Statutory Declaration. It is a Thai government requirement that this be completed at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok (it cannot be done in Australia, elsewhere in Thailand, another Embassy, or online). Under the Australian Consular Fees Act a fee of AUD $20 per document.***.

If previously married, an original divorce or death certificate must be provided to the Embassy and also to the Thai authorities to prove you are no longer married. The Embassy in Bangkok can certify your original documents. A fee for certification is payable for this service AUD $30 per document***.

***Fees: The above fees are payable in Thai Baht cash. The fee is linked to the AUD/THB exchange rate and is re-aligned each month. For current THB fee information please contact the Consular Services Section by phone or e-mail [email protected].

Step 2: Translation

You must have your documents translated into Thai at a private translation agency. There are many in Bangkok who can do this in one or two working days. Fees vary. The Australian Embassy cannot recommend any particular translation agency.

Step 3: Certification by Thai Department of Consular Affairs

After the documents have been translated they must be authenticated by Thai authorities. This takes 2 working days and a fee is payable. For information on this service you should contact:

Legalisation Division, Department of Consular Affairs

3rd floor, 123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road

Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi

Bangkok

Tel. 02 575 1056-9

Step 4: Marriage at the Amphur Office

When you have completed the above requirements, you should visit any District Office (Amphur) to formally register your marriage. You may wish to take an interpreter to facilitate communication with the Amphur officials. You may need to make an appointment before proceeding to the Amphur. If you are marrying at a resort location, your celebrant or wedding planner will be able to advise you on the location of the nearest Amphur office.

So, are you telling me you bypassed all the legal requirements for getting married in Thailand?

Edited by giddyup

Translation of passport I cannot believe cheesy.gif

This is a wind-up !!

I married a Thai and this bizarre request never happened.

And should this be true, why doesn't every passenger that lands at Bangkok , have to go through this procedure ?

Do the vast amounts of Chinese tourists that enter Thailand have to get their passports translated ? cheesy.gif

Or maybe this another "money-spinner" for a "passport-translation" company.

Will hotels be requesting "passport-translation" documents too ? cheesy.gif

OP, who is the "boss" ? The "boss" of who ? The "boss" of what ? Can you clarify.

This is a wind-up !!

And should this be true, why doesn't every passenger that lands at Bangkok , have to go through this procedure ?

Do the vast amounts of Chinese tourists that enter Thailand have to get their passports translated ? cheesy.gif

OP, who is the "boss" ? The "boss" of who ? The "boss" of what ? Can you clarify.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, did you go through the steps as I outlined in # 11? According to the OP he never got a clearance from his embassy or had it approved by the Thai Consular Affairs, just a trip to the Amphur office and paid 40 baht.

Pattaya28 ........... bizarre is the perfect choice of words.

The Sattahip Amphur Manager was the 'boss' I referred to. He's the man we met twice to check and recheck papers that would be needed and it was he who thought his last minute demand/request for another task/paperwork was going to be the cute money-spinning idea

Mr Giddyup - I am not an Aussie so all your documentation described is irrelevant to me. I have now told you several times my costs were B40 (I had previously for various reasons gathered all the papers needed myself with no incurred costs) and if your costs were as you described then so be it.

My topic is about "unofficial fees" and the planned cessation thereof as reported in the BKK Post yesterday (Thursday 28th).

Requesting a passport translation (or maybe a small donation to make that request disappear) strikes me, as Pattay28 said, bizarre!

Next ............

My Thai lady rang the Amphur office at Naklua this morning, price to be married, 300 baht, not 40, so please tell me where I can get the 40 baht price.

Go back 4 years and try the Amphur office on Suk North Pattaya. Seems you as an Aussie pay through the nose at will

The Sattahip Amphur Manager was the 'boss' I referred to. He's the man we met twice to check and recheck papers that would be needed and it was he who thought his last minute demand/request for another task/paperwork was going to be the cute money-spinning idea

Mr Giddyup - I am not an Aussie so all your documentation described is irrelevant to me. I have now told you several times my costs were B40 (I had previously for various reasons gathered all the papers needed myself with no incurred costs) and if your costs were as you described then so be it.

My topic is about "unofficial fees" and the planned cessation thereof as reported in the BKK Post yesterday (Thursday 28th).

Requesting a passport translation (or maybe a small donation to make that request disappear) strikes me, as Pattay28 said, bizarre!

Next ............

Unless you are a Thai, the same regulations apply to all foreigners getting married in Thailand, not just Aussies. Do a Google search for "Thai Marriage Requirements".

My Thai lady rang the Amphur office at Naklua this morning, price to be married, 300 baht, not 40, so please tell me where I can get the 40 baht price.

Go back 4 years and try the Amphur office on Suk North Pattaya. Seems you as an Aussie pay through the nose at will

How would they know I'm an Aussie you clown when it was my Thai lady who made the phone call. It seem you are carrying a bit of a chip re Aussies.

What is this topic about?unsure.png

excellent question LennyW

See post #16 and pass it onto Giddyup please as he doesn't seem to really understand the OP (but he is an Aussie afterall)

What is this topic about?unsure.png

excellent question LennyW

See post #16 and pass it onto Giddyup please as he doesn't seem to really understand the OP (but he is an Aussie afterall)

And you're a dope, but we all have our cross to bear. You should thank me for hijacking what was as boring a topic ever to disgace these pages. Your post would have lasted all of 5 minutes without my input.

Edited by giddyup

How would they know I'm an Aussie you clown when it was my Thai lady who made the phone call. It seem you are carrying a bit of a chip re Aussies.

and it was your lady who posted all that stuff in #11 I assume

And yes, well spotted ! I don't suffer such fools gladly

and it was your lady who posted all that stuff in #11 I assume

And yes, well spotted ! I don't suffer such fools gladly

I posted the regs for foreigners getting married in Thailand, what that has to do with my lady's phone call to the Amphur is beyond me. No point in trying to communicate with arrogant know-it-alls.

Edited by giddyup

Sounds like congratulations are in order prk888.

I assume when you say north Pattaya you mean the Banglamung amphur?

If so i have been there several times for marriages and divorces and have I always found them farang friendly, efficient and corruption free.

Next ............

Unless you are a Thai, the same regulations apply to all foreigners getting married in Thailand, not just Aussies. Do a Google search for "Thai Marriage Requirements".

One can get married for Thai law only, there is no obligation to register your marriage at your Embassy.

This is a wind-up !!

Translation of passport was also required when I applied for my yellow tabien baan, so I can understand that it is required for marriage under Thai law also.

To Clarify.

All relevant documents that were required, I had with me at the marriage office.

Confirmation from the British Embassy that I was not married had to be supplied, obviously with my passport details.

This 1-page document was translated in BKK and then certified by either the Thai Embassy or a Thai Consul.

If something the Sattahip "Boss" omitted to inform the OP of, until the last minute, that really does not surprise me.

And, I never went to BKK for the translation and the certification stamp. I used a third party for that tedious task, which took 3-4 days and cost literally a few Baht.

The only thing of any real expense was the British Embassy 1-page document, which was about 4000 Baht.

Translating passports is understandable that there would be a need for documents stating your name, date of birth and such in Thai, obviously there'd be at least English or French in most passports but Thai government office don't recognize that, and counting on public official to know English is a stretch

Translating passports is understandable that there would be a need for documents stating your name, date of birth and such in Thai, obviously there'd be at least English or French in most passports but Thai government office don't recognize that, and counting on public official to know English is a stretch

The main point of the translation is that Roman language names can be spelled in Thai in different ways. Look for instance at the road signs if you drive from Bangkok to anywhere. Over a stretch of 100 km the same city name will be spelled in at least 3 different ways.

Once you have officially translated your name once for a government document, that same spelling can be used for all future government documents.