British tourist reportedly raped in Kanchanaburi

Thaivisa News

Really depressing reading the posts on here.

No wonder many Thais think so little of us expats if this is the standard of debate over such a terrible incident, the young girl had probably seen nothing but friendliness from Thais in the time she had been here and mistakenly assumed she was safe, we all know how many people change after a drink.

Hope the rest of her group are giving her plenty of support there must have been about a dozen of them if it was the group I saw.

If one tourist reads this depressing thread and asks her friends to walk with her to the store instead of going it alone, I'd put it in the win column.

These are the kinds of discussions that stick with people for a long time, because they are so depressing. And thought provoking because so many people disagree so adamantly.

If one of her group of a dozen had sucked it up and become the unpopular old fart of the group and discussed the dangers of walking alone in a strange land, her holiday may have had a very different ending. Or the dangers of bungee jumping, or riding a rental scooter after dark, or renting a jet ski, or...or...

Edited by impulse

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does it say the biker gang was Thai...?

Also, this even happens in the nanny states, bikers all over the world make a point of raping, its a male chauvinistic culture that endorses abuse and objectification of women... this happens often even in the most highly "nannied" states... bikers are just scum with a delusional sense of entitlement and a perverted perspective on life, values, fellow human beings and society !

Having reported the crime proves well for the young lass... don't let these pathetic thugs have the better of her... !

I am sorry for deviating from the main topic of this thread. Rape in any form can never be condoned. But I must take issue with the above post, and from the vitriolic comments with regard to motorcyclists, which sadly does not appear to have been picked up on, that it is dopenhagen himself or herself that has the perverted perspective on life.

Yes there are motorcycle gangs (mainly reported in the USA) that perpetrate many crimes, including rape. But the other 99.99% of motorcyclists are responsible members of society, and include members of the British and other Royal families. My own local motorcycle club in the UK has raised many thousands of pounds for worthwhile charities, including hospices, air ambulances, and to help many individuals and sick children in the area. My local club is only one of such clubs that throughout the UK and no doubt the world that does this. To suggest as motorcyclists we are all rapists or potential rapists is an insult to all motorcyclists, and as said previously indicates what a narrow and perverted perspective the poster has on life himself (or herself)

Been riding bikes since I was 16 - 54 years ago, Still riding and enjoying the freedom and exhilaration and now after just being informed I've beaten bladder cancer, looking forward to more extensive touring in Thailand, with a long tour of Cambodia planned.

It is such a shame that Thai Visa has such bigots as members

Congratulations to you, beating Bladder cancer....!

Good luck on you're extensive motorbiking tours....but I don't think you can bring in a motorbike in Cambodia....you have to rent one there....

There will always be racists and bigots, in every country, religion, race.....

Best regards, Off Road Pat.

Also, this even happens in the nanny states, bikers all over the world make a point of raping, its a male chauvinistic culture that endorses abuse and objectification of women... this happens often even in the most highly "nannied" states... bikers are just scum with a delusional sense of entitlement and a perverted perspective on life, values, fellow human beings and society !

Having reported the crime proves well for the young lass... don't let these pathetic thugs have the better of her... !

When the OP doesn't mention race, religion, or country of origin, it is almost always a Thai involved. They love to bash farangs, but you usually have to dig when the alleged criminal is a Thai national.

all up until they will arrest the scapegoat that is a Burmese or a animal from Cambodia, since we all know that No Thai would do such a terrible thing.....

Did you read the latest reports? Not that it would make any difference!

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

You just did blame the victim.

Why do holiday makers think they can wear a bikini in when on holiday.

Why did the man have his money in his pocket when he was drinking.

Why did the girl smile and chat with the taxi driver.

It is your attitude that continues to give excuses to violent behaviour.

She is on holiday. She went out for drinks. She walked back to her hotel. She chatted to some friendly motorcycle guys. As you chat with friendly girls.

Maybe they offered her a ride back to the hotel.

She did nothing wrong.

This government needs to step up punishment of offences against foreigners.especially crimes of rape and violence. Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here and there for a few hundred baht. The violence against foreigners in this country is the worst in the entire world.

Just to point out it is against the law for those under 20 to drink alcohol, or enter bars in Thailand.

So in reality she did do something wrong. She broke a law designed to save her from the situation she subsequently encountered.

Your list is not really reasonable,

Wearing a bikini on the beach legal, drinking and carrying money legal, smiling at a taxi driver legal, underage drinking not legal.

Not that anyone should be subjected to violence, but people do need to take a little bit of personal responsibility for their own safety.

It's just common sense.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Whats new at the land of smiles.....tourists, expats, foreigners of every type are contantly scammed, abused, etc but they still continue coming.....who is too blame...the thais or the foreigners????? As long as people continues coming and supporting the thai economy, thai people , thai products and corrupted thai officials......nothing is going to change. So stop complaining or even making any noise.

British,teenager,drunk, early morning walk alone = stupid

Comments like that = stupid

I bet she wont do it again,some just have to learn the hard way.

You must be on a wind up, surely?

No, 20 years ago while on holiday in Turkey i saw two drunk teenage 19 year olds flirting and dancing with 4 Turkish guys in a bar restaurant i was in. When things got too touchy feely for them they asked if they could sit at my table and pretend to be with me to get rid of them, i agreed to help out, it nearly got me stabbed to death. Several days later i saw the same girls with two of the guys who had menaced me with knives, they were smooching on the beach, right back to the danger zone. Never again, if drunk flirtatious teenage girls want to hawk their pearly in risky circumstances that's OK with me, just let them take the consequences alone. No sympathy.

Whats new at the land of smiles.....tourists, expats, foreigners of every type are contantly scammed, abused, etc but they still continue coming.....who is too blame...the thais or the foreigners????? As long as people continues coming and supporting the thai economy, thai people , thai products and corrupted thai officials......nothing is going to change. So stop complaining or even making any noise.

People keep coming to Thailand, and people live here, because they like it and have a good time. It's not going to change.

People keep coming to Thailand, and people live here, because they like it and have a good time. It's not going to change.

And maybe for every 1 girl that gets raped, at least 2000-3000 consent on their own will. Lots of tuktuks get laid here with young backpacker girls.

Not good at all.

Fortunately she was not murdered and dumped by the way side as she easily could have been...sadly.... she could have been murdered.

Yes...she did nothing wrong but everyone has to be aware, who ever you are, you are all the more vulnerable while here in Thailand.

There really is no way to predict it or see it coming...so to speak...but getting drunk certainly does not help matters and we all know how nasty occurrences can happen when people are drunk...more so than when sober.

But most drinkers never listen anyhow while the fun to be had all too often supersedes sensible caution.

I hope she is far more cautious after this near death experience and tones down the alcohol consumption...you would think.

Cheers

I am sorry for deviating from the main topic of this thread. Rape in any form can never be condoned. But I must take issue with the above post, and from the vitriolic comments with regard to motorcyclists, which sadly does not appear to have been picked up on, that it is dopenhagen himself or herself that has the perverted perspective on life.

Yes there are motorcycle gangs (mainly reported in the USA) that perpetrate many crimes, including rape. But the other 99.99% of motorcyclists are responsible members of society, and include members of the British and other Royal families. My own local motorcycle club in the UK has raised many thousands of pounds for worthwhile charities, including hospices, air ambulances, and to help many individuals and sick children in the area. My local club is only one of such clubs that throughout the UK and no doubt the world that does this. To suggest as motorcyclists we are all rapists or potential rapists is an insult to all motorcyclists, and as said previously indicates what a narrow and perverted perspective the poster has on life himself (or herself)

Been riding bikes since I was 16 - 54 years ago, Still riding and enjoying the freedom and exhilaration and now after just being informed I've beaten bladder cancer, looking forward to more extensive touring in Thailand, with a long tour of Cambodia planned.

It is such a shame that Thai Visa has such bigots as members

Congratulations to you, beating Bladder cancer....!

Good luck on you're extensive motorbiking tours....but I don't think you can bring in a motorbike in Cambodia....you have to rent one there....

There will always be racists and bigots, in every country, religion, race.....

Best regards, Off Road Pat.

Absolutely no problem taking a Thai bike into Cambodia.

Try reading Gtrider for how easy it is.

This I think says it all.

This may feel good but is not really very useful. "So how can I avoid getting raped?" "That's easy, just avoid rapists."

It's better to analyze the situations that lead to rape. Current research indicates that risk factors involve alcohol/drugs, poverty, broken families, and social norms that minimize the seriousness of rape. Also, the majority of rapes are committed by friends/family/acquaintances.

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/sexualviolence/riskprotectivefactors.html

So what you are saying is don't drink with friends or family, make sure you aren't poor and take care to keep your mum and dad together and understand that in lots of places the social norm is that rape is OK. I don't think that fits the life circumstances of most people. A boyfriend pressing on you is quite a different thing to a gang of motorcyclists gang raping you. Thailand might be third world but it doesn't present itself as such and neither does the British Embassy present the country in that light although there are a few warnings. Rather it is presented worldwide as a friendly smiling place of lovely gentle Buddhist people who will take care of you very well. A tourists paradise and very safe as we all keep hearing.

It is none of those things and tourists visiting for a week or two are really given an illusion. If it were presented as Iran or Iraq where the common perception is DANGER then there might be a point for saying the girl should take more care - and she would expect to. The whole issue with Thailand is that it lies about the facts of its safety, justice and just about everything in a desperate need to hide the bad things which deceive tourists into a feeling of safety which is just not reality.

There is no excuse for gang rape of any woman in any country - least of all in one such as Thailand which presents itself as being a safe and caring tourist destination.

Not good at all.

Fortunately she was not murdered and dumped by the way side as she easily could have been...sadly.... she could have been murdered.

Yes...she did nothing wrong but everyone has to be aware, who ever you are, you are all the more vulnerable while here in Thailand.

There really is no way to predict it or see it coming...so to speak...but getting drunk certainly does not help matters and we all know how nasty occurrences can happen when people are drunk...more so than when sober.

But most drinkers never listen anyhow while the fun to be had all too often supersedes sensible caution.

I hope she is far more cautious after this near death experience and tones down the alcohol consumption...you would think.

Cheers

The only person who needs to stop doing certain things or behaving in a certain way is the rapist. Edited by Bluespunk

So what you are saying is don't drink with friends or family, make sure you aren't poor and take care to keep your mum and dad together and understand that in lots of places the social norm is that rape is OK. I don't think that fits the life circumstances of most people.

That would be one interpretation. A better one might be:

• Be careful in poorer areas/countries where people have less to lose and there are more broken families.
  • Be careful around friends/family that abuse drugs/alcohol and/or have bad family situations.
  • Learn about a country's culture and societal norms and take appropriate precautions.

A boyfriend pressing on you is quite a different thing to a gang of motorcyclists gang raping you.

Yep, but the former is much more likely.

Thailand might be third world but it doesn't present itself as such and neither does the British Embassy present the country in that light although there are a few warnings. Rather it is presented worldwide as a friendly smiling place of lovely gentle Buddhist people who will take care of you very well. A tourists paradise and very safe as we all keep hearing.

It is none of those things and tourists visiting for a week or two are really given an illusion. If it were presented as Iran or Iraq where the common perception is DANGER then there might be a point for saying the girl should take more care - and she would expect to. The whole issue with Thailand is that it lies about the facts of its safety, justice and just about everything in a desperate need to hide the bad things which deceive tourists into a feeling of safety which is just not reality.

If you read my post above, you'll see that I 100% agree with you on these points. That's where I think "The Hangover Part II" does the world a service. The specifics aren't that accurate, but it does paint a general picture of Thailand as a beautiful place with a dangerous underbelly which is very accurate.

Hopefully folks thinking about traveling to Thailand will read news stories such as the above with the subsequent discussion and note the possible dangers.

There is no excuse for gang rape of any woman in any country - least of all in one such as Thailand which presents itself as being a safe and caring tourist destination.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread saying there was an excuse for it.

Not good at all.

Cheers

The only person who needs to stop doing certain things or behaving in a certain way is the rapist.

Absolutely.....but still...... it is now and always has been recommended first, before the other factors ...go easy on the alcohol....as it helps to reduce the amount of nasty incidents that could or would possibly occur.

Alcohol is a common factor.

In a perfect world you could argue other wise.

The only person who needs to stop doing certain things or behaving in a certain way is the rapist.

Nice sentiment. Really, it is.

But on a more practical level, you and I have absolutely no control over what a robber, murderer or rapist is going to do.

But we can take actions that make us more (or less) vulnerable. Like locking our doors while we're sleeping. Like not flashing big wads of cash. Like staying out of dark alleys in the middle of bad neighborhoods. Like not getting into heated arguments with drunks. Like not walking alone and tipsy in the wee hours.

Or we can moralize all we want about our God given right to do whatever strikes our fancy, and put ourselves into harm's way.

The politically correct crowd are out again condemning a poster for suggesting she contributed to the situation in which she found herself.

What she received can never be condoned in any country/society, but wandering around pickled in a different country and city, can at best, be described as imprudent at best, and downright foolish at best. Even doing it in her home country would be ill advised.

I wouldn't do that in my home country, and I'm a male, with a few skills in self defence, and offence if necessary. I certainly wouldn't do it in Kanchanaburi, or Bangkok or Nong Khai, etc.

So whilst I'm not saying she should be blamed, I think she should have been a little/lot more aware of her actions and surroundings.

"The politically correct crowd" - as soon as you use that little soundbite anything that follows has no credence at all......what people usually do now is get a quopte from Google and try to pretend the know what "PC" means - as you have used it already we know you don't.....

It made perfect sense to me, especially when you see how many people in this thread took offense to the suggestion that the victim could have taken precautions to avoid being a victim.

Off topic, some tuktuk driver told me he was getting laid regularly with backpacker girls. More girls consent to sex with low class locals than you think.

I had a tuk tuk driver tell me he could get me a good deal on gems, too.

That being the case, the rest of your follow up posts on this thread start from very questionable information, and then get embellished to the point of the ridiculous.

Nice sentiment. Really, it is.

But on a more practical level, you and I have absolutely no control over what a robber, murderer or rapist is going to do.

But we can take actions that make us more (or less) vulnerable. Like locking our doors while we're sleeping. Like not flashing big wads of cash. Like staying out of dark alleys in the middle of bad neighborhoods. Like not getting into heated arguments with drunks. Like not walking alone and tipsy in the wee hours.

Or we can moralize all we want about our God given right to do whatever strikes our fancy, and put ourselves into harm's way.

No one has the right to do what ever takes their fancy. We have to respect others.

Back to topic, this woman did nothing wrong.

She drank with friends/family.

She walked to the shop.

She was on holiday and no doubt enjoying herself.

She did nothing out of place or irresponsible.

She was seen by predatory scum, who then kidnapped and assaulted her.

They did that because she was there, nothing more.

They are the ones to blame and no one should be lecturing the victim of this awful crime about behaving responsibly.

Edited by Bluespunk

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

I believe many people can' handle alcohol.Their thinking goes out the window.No person is safe in any country

Alone 1:30 in the morning.I'm not saying any of this is her fault.But if she hadn't been intoxicated none of this would

Have happened.It's A wild world.Don't set yourself up.Bad things will happen.

I believe many people can' handle alcohol.Their thinking goes out the window.No person is safe in any country

Alone 1:30 in the morning.I'm not saying any of this is her fault.But if she hadn't been intoxicated none of this would

So, in effect, as others before, you are saying it's her fault.

Edited by Bluespunk

Its not her fault but I would not let my sister/wife/daughter/mum/female friend walk to the shop alone whilst drunk at 1:30am in a foreign country. Its just lowering the risk of something bad happening to them by scumbags.

Edited by wow64

"happens all over the world" in at post #11 today!........anyone fancy betting on the next appearance of the new forum favorite....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Or whether it comes before or after the "all Thais are rapists/murderers/scammers etc" post!

Its not her fault but I would not let my sister/wife/daughter/mum/female friend walk to the shop alone whilst drunk at 1:30am in a foreign country. Its just lowering the risk of something bad happening to them by scumbags.

I was replying to a post that effectively did blame the victim.

Rapists don't care how drunk you are, don't care where you are, don't care what you look like, it's a power crime.

They are predatory scum and are the only pieces of faeces whose behavior should be questioned.

Edited by Bluespunk

"happens all over the world" in at post #11 today!........anyone fancy betting on the next appearance of the new forum favorite....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But the Thai apologists chimed in at post # 3 from "cgphuket", blaming the victim.

Why do you hope they catch the rapist and throw away the key? You know that is not going to happen here as you stated. Is that not your Judaeo-Christian upbringing speaking? Are you not looking down on Thailand's judicial and value systems?

CB

What a bullshit post, lay off the juice.

Off topic, some tuktuk driver told me he was getting laid regularly with backpacker girls. More girls consent to sex with low class locals than you think.

That being the case, the rest of your follow up posts on this thread start from very questionable information, and then get embellished to the point of the ridiculous.

. Agreed, Very Rarely you ll

see Western Girls with Thai Guys...