Pretty Good Experience at CM Immigration

FolkGuitar

In the past I've always used a visa agent to renew my Retirement Visa. This year I decided (actually, my wife decided for me,) that I would use the On-Line reservation service, and that's what I did. I stayed up until midnight 100 days before, booked a 9:30 appointment, and today was the day.

I made copies of EVERYTHING. Every page in my passport, copies of my residence certificate, copies of the Bank Letter, even copies of every page in my bankbook, and along with my passport, photos, and bankbook arrived at Immigration at 9:20. My name was called at 9:35 and I went into the back room with a very pleasant woman, let her go though my papers, throwing away all of my copies of blank pages, telling me I didn't need them, spent 5 minutes stamping and signing stuff, and left her desk by 9:45. Ten minutes total. Then another 40 minutes to wait for my passport to be returned to me, and I was out the door by about 10:30.

I would have said this was a 'great' experience except for the fact that my passport was finished processing and sitting on the corner of someone's desk for 25 minutes while I stared at it, willing it to jump into my hand. I tried telling a civilian clerk that it was sitting there and finished, but he just said 'wait,' and then smiled at me, so I smiled at him. We smiled at each other for about five minutes before he walked away. 20 minutes later some other clerk noticed the pile of passports awaiting distribution and handed them out.

One hour at Immigration. I guess that's not bad. But I think next year I'll use a visa agent. Waaay too noisy in there!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Extension of my Non-Imm 'O' Visa (Thai Wife) in Chiangmai last March was also good ... kudos to them especially in the working conditions they have ... come on BKK central send them some of the money back so they can build a new building more appropriate to their status.

With my extension (been doing it for 14 years now) they always give 30 day extension and then ask me to come back to get the other 11 months in 30 days ... this time they actually sent me an SMS earlier to say my extension was ready and to bring my passport in to be stamped ... that was a nice touch.

Folk Guitar that's been my very experience since the on line booking slots became available,1 hour max, is it 3 years ?

You still have to attend, your agent can't do it without you as I understand it.

Folk Guitar that's been my very experience since the on line booking slots became available,1 hour max, is it 3 years ?

You still have to attend, your agent can't do it without you as I understand it.

If you need to accompany an agent...then why would you hire them?

You obviously got the paperwork right.

Earplugs would be considerably cheaper!

Good for you, FG! How old was your bank letter, and do you know if there is a standard on their validity?

I went to the bank yesterday. It took 20 minutes to get the proper letter from the bank. I have no idea how long it would be good for, but I figured that one day would work. I've 'heard' (so don't quote me) that it has to be withing 2-3 days.

Earplugs would be considerably cheaper!

Excellent, then you do not hear them call you name when they are ready for your appointment or to return your passport to you.

I'm pretty deaf as it is. I had both my hearing aids turned off, so acting as ear plugs, but the noise level was still unconscionable!

To compensate for not hearing them call my name, I just stood close to the counter when they were returning passports, watched for the right color book, then read the lips of the person calling names. Of course, that didn't work so my wife told me they paged me...

Edited by FolkGuitar

Apparently, as with most things Immigration-related, this is up to the Immigration Officer or the particular day. I've used Assist-ThaiVisa as an agent in the past, and didn't have to go in personally, although they told me to be available in case the Imm Officer requested my presence.

The paperwork is the least of the problems. You only need passport and copies, bankbook and letter (if that is your chosen method of proving finances,) photo, and residence certificate. My condo office issues the residence certificate (no need for me to go to the office near Promenada,) the bank issues the registered letter, and I can make copies using my printer. I did go to Immigration for some new photos a few days ago.

The biggest issues for me was the noise and confusion of the place. When two or three PA announcements are being made AT THE SAME TIME combined with the mispronunciation of people's names, and this happening every 20-30 seconds, then people rushing up to the counters thinking they heard their names but actually didn't... THAT part is worth the visa agent's fee to me!

"Waaay too noisy in there!"

What was the source of the noise? The only time I recall it being noisy was when a Chinese man and woman were yelling at each other.

The announcements calling numbers, names, and nationalities, two crying babies, several children playing, two guys sitting behind me trying to have a conversation OVER the sound of the announcements calling numbers, names and nationalities, etc.

Hi Guys, i just wondered about the Retirement visa ... so do they need to look at a bank statement /passbook etc to show it has 800,000bth in the account all of the time .. and each time aftyerwards to show it is always in the bank account .. or is it only done the first time applying for the Ret visa ... just not sure how it works when going for renewal each 90 days .. Thanks :-)

5 years ago when I first arrived here I went the agent route. He whisks you in the back door to an immigration officer sitting at a table. In 10 minute its all over but the paying part. Oh I forgot I had to pay in advance. The officer and the agent talk back and forth in Thai more than likely about the stupid foreigner (me) who paid this ridiculous amount of money for something that could be had for free almost but I was new at this game. Flash forward 5 years tonight I will make my 4th attempt to get an online slot. I have always gotten them in the past with no problem sometimes a couple days later there were still some slots open. For 4 nights I have done the following I go online at about 11.50 p.m. and start refreshing the page and I get the notation about the 100 day queue thing. At 12.04 according to the clock on my computer there is nothing happening. About a minute later bang all 10 sites are somehow magically booked and hey I do not believe in magic only hanky panky. Another TV member posted earlier in the week that they did get through somehow and there was an empty slot and when they tried to book it they received an error message. He even posted pictures on TV of the whole process. Something is definitely rotten in Denmark

in Loei you have to do the bank letter the day you renew...with a book update BEFORE the same day, if it doesn't work you have to withdraw and update again

finding it a bit too much my wife fone Korat which is suposed to be the head office

answer : follow what your officer tells you

i fone back and ask i want to know what is the law...

answer : follow......

i fone back ....she unplug the fone... Aouu so the best thing ,follow......there is no law

Edited by jerome2

Word is that 'in there' will be changing locations. The CM Immig Office is said to be moving to new location at Prom Mall, very soon. Next year may be different for you, and others.

What word? rumors and inuenndos which is ridiculous. There should be something concrete out there by now. Next year changes I doubt it. Even if the air/con worked that would be a welcome change.

Word is that 'in there' will be changing locations. The CM Immig Office is said to be moving to new location at Prom Mall, very soon. Next year may be different for you, and others.

What word? rumors and inuenndos which is ridiculous. There should be something concrete out there by now. Next year changes I doubt it. Even if the air/con worked that would be a welcome change.

There has been concrete notification. The Japanese Embassy received notice last month that Immigration would be moving to the new building opposite the Promenada Mall on June 19th. That Embassy sent out notices of this via e-mail to all Japanese residents who are signed up with the Embassy. That it will actually happen on the 19th is yet to be seen. After all... TIT.

Edited by FolkGuitar

There has been concrete notification. The Japanese Embassy received notice last month that Immigration would be moving to the new building opposite the Promenada Mall on June 19th. That Embassy sent out notices of this via e-mail to all Japanese residents who are signed up with the Embassy.

What about the rest of us poor schmucks. What about notification on their website? What about a sign in their present location? What about telling the Chiang Mai Expats Club? Where do we hear the news oh yes talking to an immigration officer at a garage sale. We only have a honorary consulate here in CM and it is a good operation but I highly doubt if they have room in their budget to notify all of us. The Embassy in Bangkok would certainly not bother. The first person who posts something positive about the move in writing on TV should get a prize.

Edited by elgordo38

There has been concrete notification. The Japanese Embassy received notice last month that Immigration would be moving to the new building opposite the Promenada Mall on June 19th. That Embassy sent out notices of this via e-mail to all Japanese residents who are signed up with the Embassy. That it will actually happen on the 19th is yet to be seen. After all... TIT.

So not in Promenada? The "Burmese" building? Perhaps Japanese only?

Some people need someone to hold their handbiggrin.png

regards worgeordie

So not in Promenada? The "Burmese" building? Perhaps Japanese only?

Did you really think they built it just for the Burmese laborers? gigglem.gif

There is a very large Japanese ex-pat community here in Chiang Mai. You don't see them very often as they are mostly families of middle-management men employed by the several large factories in the area. They tend to be quite clannish, spending their free time together in groups, but if you shop in Nim City Rimping you will see them daily. They have their own Cultural School for the children on Saturdays, taught by Japanese teachers employed (with work permits. biggrin.png ) for just such a purpose.

Edited by FolkGuitar

What about the rest of us poor schmucks. What about notification on their website? What about a sign in their present location? What about telling the Chiang Mai Expats Club? Where do we hear the news oh yes talking to an immigration officer at a garage sale. We only have a honorary consulate here in CM and it is a good operation but I highly doubt if they have room in their budget to notify all of us. The Embassy in Bangkok would certainly not bother. The first person who posts something positive about the move in writing on TV should get a prize.

strike me pink!!!!

u closed your thread,and u are still batting away,and away

cobber, please pull up stumps , the o/p was giving the zoo a very nice compliment,which are very few,, in between these dayssmile.png

strike me pink!!!!

cobber, please pull up stumps , the o/p was giving the zoo a very nice compliment,which are very few,, in between these dayssmile.png

Yes I closed the thread but I did not give up my right of free speech. The reason I closed it was because nothing concrete was coming out of it only people throwing brick bats at each other. Nancy L was about the only one that came up with a logical sane answer plus the person that posted pictures of their fruitless effort to get a slot. Unless your Japanese did your consulate or embassy notify you of the move? I highly doubt it.

strike me pink!!!!

Yes I closed the thread but I did not give up my right of free speech. The reason I closed it was because nothing concrete was coming out of it only people throwing brick bats at each other. Nancy L was about the only one that came up with a logical sane answer plus the person that posted pictures of their fruitless effort to get a slot. Unless your Japanese did your consulate or embassy notify you of the move? I highly doubt it.

Nor, it would seem, did you give up your desire to turn a positive conversation into something negative.

I'm noticing a preponderance of threads that start of on a positive note and turn negative after only a few posts, compared with the dearth of threads that start of negative and turn positive. It's funny how that seems to happen here...

any idea how one would get a fresh update of a term deposit (CD)? Or would the maturity dates be good enough, with a fresh letter? THX!

are you referring to a fixed deposit? If so, the maturity date is not relevant for a renewal of an extension of stay for retirement...the key is that the funds (800K) are deposited 3 months prior to applying for the renewal.

Good for you, FG! How old was your bank letter, and do you know if there is a standard on their validity?

The bank letter must be dated the same day as the passbook update. The letter & passbook update are good for up to 7 days prior to applying for the renewal. CM Immigration has a handout that lists what you need to provide for a retirement extension of stay. Ask for it at the info counter.