Calling canadian bank collect or tiol free from cell phone

Is this possible

I use true H

I have both a 1 800 number and a 416 number to contact my bank

Nooo idea what numbers to add infront of these numbers

Or if it's even possible from a cell

This town doesn't have public land lines

Thank you

whistling.gif From experience, you will have great difficulty calling a 1-800 number in the U.S. from Thailand.

Try to get a number not of the 1-800 type, but a regular phone number because a 1-800 number is a toll-free number and international calls are NOT toll free.

I spent almost 5 hours one night in Bangkok (there is a 12 hour time difference between Bangkok and the East coast of the U.S where my bank is located) trying to get my bank MasterCard restarted after the brainless fools in the bank had canceled my card for booking a hotel reservation in Thailand with a hotel booking company that did business in the U.K.

I did find a real non 1-800 to call, and I got through several times, but the persons I was talking to said several times,"I'll switch you over to the toll free 1-800 line".

As soon as she did, I was disconnected

I have both a 1 800 number and a 416 number to contact my bank

Landline to Canada from Thai mobile:

001 1 416 .... 9 Baht/min (best quality but expensive)

009 1 416 .... 2.5 Baht/min (good enough for voice calls usually)

Don't know about the "1 800" numbers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I had an issue with MasterCard a few years back, and had the usual difficulty trying to phone them.

By email, I persuaded them to call me. I gave them the appropriate number and time differences, and I did manage to have a loooong conversation (sure saved me a bundle) to resolve the problem.

Might try that route - use email to persuade someone there to phone you at a convenient time, rather than you jumping through hoops trying to call them. One of the factors I used for persuasion was to explain that using the 1-800 numbers from Asia is not as simple as it might be in North America, and so many North Americans have no idea of the rest of the world.

There is (or used to be, haven't tried in a while) yellow pay phones here and there, usually in the lobby of big hotels and in some shopping malls, that allow you to make collect calls.

To protect your sanity, though, maybe just bite the bullet and pay for the call. There are calling cards you can buy, will cost about 3b/min. Or use Skype.

ugh

need skype credits to call a number

no yellow phones in this town,no big shopping centers, ive seen them else where in thailand ( the phones i mean )

im going to try and get them to call me

can i call operator from cell

how do i do that ?

update

i got 1 800 and 1 888 number to work via skype without credits

1 866 worked initially then later said i have no skype credits.... not sure why as i never purchased credits..

thanks

hopefully this helps someone too

use 1 800 or 1 888 numbers via skype :)

I use Skype for calling the bank in Canada. It works very well and you can use their 800 number.

I do the same for all free phone numbers in NZ. Ours are 0800 numbers. I have a subscription that allows me to call all landlines for about $10 per month and I'm always using it to call banks, insurance companies, anybody that has an 0800 number, as well as family of course.

Sometimes Telecom in NZ rejects the call - I suspect that are able to detect Skype calls somehow. But I just redial and after a few attempts it invariably goes through.

I use Skype for calling the bank in Canada. It works very well and you can use their 800 number.

I do the same for all free phone numbers in NZ. Ours are 0800 numbers. I have a subscription that allows me to call all landlines for about $10 per month and I'm always using it to call banks, insurance companies, anybody that has an 0800 number, as well as family of course.

Sometimes Telecom in NZ rejects the call - I suspect that are able to detect Skype calls somehow. But I just redial and after a few attempts it invariably goes through.

Thank you,

You mean a Skype subscription ?

My bank told me the chip on my debit card is working . Are they able to check from their end?

I thought chips need to be scanned, and that it's not something that can be checked remotely ?

I'm a little confused if the bank teller in thailand is just lazy or useless and or thinks my bank debit card is a credit card as it says visa on it.

My bank told me the chip on my debit card is working .

So you are trying to get it to stop working?

No

I'm trying to figure out if in everything we discussed over phone

If something was miscommunicated as thai bank says they can't use my debit card

Same for me. I Use Skype and call the 1-800 numbers in Canada. Never had any problems.

I put the minimum credit on Skype and it last a long time.

I can even call the regular numbers and it is very cheap. about 2,4 cent a minute...you can talk 1 hour for 2,40 CAD $ $